Wedge Antilles' X-Wing Starfighter

Reaction score
Wedge Antilles\' X-Wing Starfighter

We had the rumor on Friday, and now there's a very fuzzy picture on POTF2.com - hard to say if it's anything but a prototype, as the astromech looks like R2, and the Wedge looks like the 2004 internet exclusive.

I'm sure somebody will bring over the picture - but for now, it's not much to look at. There's definitely a Q&A opportunity for this one.

With the photo, it's time to open the thread!

Reaction score
Re: Red 2 X-Wing with Wedge and Astromech

Remember, we've seen things change vastly from these type of photos. I'm putting together a Q&A for the next session now.

'78

Reaction score

I REALLY doubt they'd release R2-D2 with Wedge and his X-Wing. There'd be a lot of 'splainin to do.

This isn't the release shot by any means...it doesn't come out for awhile, so I'd sit back and wait for more shots to come in.

Reaction score

As far as early images go, that one's ridiculous. For all the shortcuts they COULD take, this is cheaper than I would have ever expected. How hard is it to plop a new head on VTSC Luke and paint the helmet? Or slap some red & white paint on a droid?

But, as you said, it's early and this stuff changes all the time. Be sure to emphasize in the Q&A that Wedge is simple as can be--in terms of pleasing the fans, and NOT ticking 'em off--by putting a new head on VTSC Luke, repaint helmet, maybe give him a holster and a non-ANH-Han blaster, since he's as short as Luke. And that his astromech has a red dome with white trim, leaving the body colors up to them. And that the Dutch Vander sculpt is terrible for X-wing pilots because it doesn't fit in the X-wings very well.

If you wouldn't mind!

Edited to address some points from the Rumor thread:
- Wedge's helmet absolutely needs to be newer than the last one, since that WAS made for that specific Wedge head back in the POTF2 days. And it lacks a chin strap.
- If they do new sculpts for a 3rd Rebel Pilots Evo set, and have a basic X-wing male body, it will likely be taller than Luke. And should not be used for Wedge, ever, since he's Luke's height; a bit shorter, actually.
- Wedge is Corellian, but that doesn't mean he MUST have a DL-44 like Han. I don't mind him having one so long as it's the VTSC Luke version (aka ESB Luke/Han); the long-scope ANH Han version gets too much play; it's pretty much unique to Han in ANH, and SHOULD stay that way. The female pilots already have it, but keep it away from Wedge.
- My impressions based on the slideshow photo of Garven Dreis is that he's just a new head & repainted helm on VTSC Luke's body, which is unfortunate as he IS NOT as short as Luke or Wedge. However, Nrin Vakil in the upcoming WM exclusive Comic Pack looks to have new legs, if not an entirely new sculpt. Yes, he's Quarren, but a simple change of head & forearms (removing Quarren hands/cuff & replacing with gloves) looks like it might give us the 'average height' X-wing pilot SA body many of us have wanted for a long time now. If that's the case, I'll be trying to swap parts with Garven soon as I have both figures
But again, all Wedge needs is the Luke body. Luke/Mark is taller than Wedge/Denis by a bit, so there's zero reason to ever re-release Too Tall Wedge again, or waste tooling on making him for a taller 'medium' figure when that could go for a Theron Nett or John D or Tiree or Grizz.

Reaction score

I've already posted the question - go read it through and make any suggestions, and get it seconded. Unfortunately, it's a while before it'll get asked, as the current batch for this week is already in, so this one would be run - at the soonest - for the next Q&A, which should be November 7th!

But, as I noted before, I'd guess this is a place holder picture meant to show retailers what would be included - the colors are meaningless to buyers - or those that decide to buy the exclusive for their chain.

Reaction score

It's in their forums, Legacy Collection section.

Reaction score

It's hopefully just a mock-up. Wouldn't be a dealbreaker, though.

pod

Reaction score

That had better just be a mock-up. It would be pretty outrageous if they tried to pass off Wedge's droid from ANH as having anything other than a bright red dome with white panels, considering how commonly known that is. They have much more wiggle room with its body, since the only shot of it is a blurry one from the trench run, and then just the very top. You can see screenshots here: http://www.angelfire.com/droid/astromechs/page10.html

I suppose its possible that they're going for a ROTJ version however, in which case a grey domed R2 unit would work, though of course not with the rest of R2-D2's markings.

Reaction score

No doubt that would be a mock-up. It would be horribly innacurate to release this X-wing with a pilot and droid that have never been paired up on screen. The R2- will be the appropriate shades of red and white and hopefully Wedge will use a newer bodyas the fan outcry for the overuse of the Vander mold should be quite clear to Hasbro by this point.

Reaction score

That image looks fishy. It seems like the X-Wing in that picture has some of the swamp gunk that was included with the Dagobah X-Wing hanging over the engine intakes.

GNT

Reaction score

I just opened my Swamp version, Unles this is really stunning I doubt I'll pick it up. Need to see real pictures

Reaction score

I'm kinda excited for this for two reasons
1. Wedge is one of my favorite characters
2. The only X-Wing I have is the old one from POTF2 from way back in 95'

I only hope it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Reaction score

I too am hyped to read this since Wedge is my favorite pilot and I am actually lacking an X-wing. This is the perfect set for me!

Reaction score

Gen_Magnus said:
I too am hyped to read this since Wedge is my favorite pilot and I am actually lacking an X-wing. This is the perfect set for me!
I agree!

Reaction score

Just got further word that part of the delay from the original 2005 rumor of this set is the pilot figure. Apparently this is a very old mock-up, and that we can expect the figure to be a newish Wedge, and that the Astromech won't look like R2-D2.

Since it's probably a year away, it's probably a while before we get any official/good pictures.

'78

Reaction score

Since1978 said:
Just got further word that part of the delay from the original 2005 rumor of this set is the pilot figure. Apparently this is a very old mock-up, and that we can expect the figure to be a newish Wedge, and that the Astromech won't look like R2-D2.

Since it's probably a year away, it's probably a while before we get any official/good pictures.

'78
goog news. this will be a great buy.

Reaction score

Gen_Magnus said:
Same here. This is a must buy for me.

Reaction score

Since1978 said:

'78
Ugh. That means they're gonna screw it up, right? "Here's Wedge!" "Wow, he's SA and has a new helmet and--wait, why's he so much taller than Luke?"

Reaction score

No, that wasn't my impression, rather that the "newish" part to me implied - using SOME existing tooling. So my assumption is that it will be based on the VTSC Luke.

Reaction score

Unfortunately this will be an easy pass for me. I've got plenty of X-Wings and even if they included an all new SA Wedge it wouldn't be worth paying that much when I don't want the vehicle.

Reaction score

nagauthier said:
Unfortunately this will be an easy pass for me. I've got plenty of X-Wings and even if they included an all new SA Wedge it wouldn't be worth paying that much when I don't want the vehicle.
So then, you just buy it. Remove the Wedge and put the rest on ebay, you will probably end up paying about $7 for a new Wedge figure.

Reaction score

this works for me, still trying to play catch on the figures i need. i didn't get him in the otc collection and i could use another x-wing for my collection as long as it's of the larger scale. can't wait to see the final product.

Reaction score

Yeah, that's the one that we've been analyzing here since the thread was posted. As I understand it that's an older picture, and very much a prototype to help sell the exclusive - NOT the final product at all.

'78

Reaction score

Might get this b/c my last and only X-wing is from p.o.t.f. 2 from when I was a kid.

Reaction score

If it turns out to be what it should be, I'll get it definitely. I don't have any of the previous attempts at Wedge.

Reaction score

I'm still secretly hoping they do Wedge's R5 unit instead of his Yavin 4 R2 Astromech (which might just be a lazy repack of R3-T2 from the Entertainment Earth Astromech Pack). And I also hope Wedge is correct height.

And you can never have enough X-Wings..c'mon guys.
Actually, it would be my second X-Wing. I'm hoping to have 3 someday.

Reaction score

I have the first Dagobah X-Wing and the exclusive OTC Wedge, so I'll probably pass. But this is good news, X-Wings should always be available on the shelves. I'm just surprised it's not Red 3 given Hasbro's Biggs fever lately!

Reaction score

RogueWompRat said:
I have the first Dagobah X-Wing and the exclusive OTC Wedge, so I'll probably pass. But this is good news, X-Wings should always be available on the shelves. I'm just surprised it's not Red 3 given Hasbro's Biggs fever lately!
I would so love if they made the whole death star assault team from the battle of yavin. I mean, each fighter and droid would be easy repaints, and x-wings always sell well. If they wanted to do it even better, they could make three at a time and make one exclusive to each of the three stores (TRU, target, wal-mart). I know I'd eat it up.

Reaction score

Galen_Marek said:
I would so love if they made the whole death star assault team from the battle of yavin. I mean, each fighter and droid would be easy repaints, and x-wings always sell well.
Yeah, why not? Hasbro subjected us to Jedi Starfighter repaint fever for the past few years. Throw us OT fans a bone and see if we bite!

Reaction score

GNT said:
I just opened my Swamp version, Unles this is really stunning I doubt I'll pick it up. Need to see real pictures
I agree with this. I don't need another X-Wing, I already have 2.

Reaction score

Jabbas_Guard_no3 said:
Galen_Marek said:
I would so love if they made the whole death star assault team from the battle of yavin. I mean, each fighter and droid would be easy repaints, and x-wings always sell well.
Yeah, why not? Hasbro subjected us to Jedi Starfighter repaint fever for the past few years. Throw us OT fans a bone and see if we bite!
The shame about the star fighter repaints is that they were all EU, so I didn't buy any of them.

Reaction score

Well that's silly. What WOULD you have bought? There were only, what, 6 Jedi Starfighters in the entire PT! Red Delta, Plo's blue Delta, red Eta, yellow Eta, green Eta, blue Eta.

All else they released over the years were turquoise Delta from CW Microseries & comic, Anakin's modified Delta, Vader's black Eta, Mace's purple Eta from microseries, Kit Fisto's green Delta and Saesee's orange Delta (I think one of 'em was from the microseries), Aayla's blue Eta from the comics.

Anakin's modified ship is clearly EU due to all the mods that make it look pretty weird next to regular Deltas, but it DID inspire Plo's ship design as well as the CW3D Delta-2 droid-in-front design. Everything else is just a different plausible color combination. Vader's may be a bit busy with so many markings and rather large Imperial emblems, but the color scheme is fitting. Aayla's is just a bit different from Obi-Wan's. Mace's fits with his weird purple theme and isn't some crazy pattern. And the worst thing about the Saesee & Kit fighters are the color-coordination with skin tone and the garish astromech domes (Kit's in particular). I wasn't crazy about the orange on Saesee's ship, but I DID enjoy the big ol' tattoo it had. I wouldn't have minded seeing his green Eta as well.

Of course, I'm defending all these yet only have Red ROTS, Vader's, Blue ROTS, and Plo Koon's. I wish I had space & money to buy EVERY ship I liked, but I can--at least--defend their merits
Most of the "EU" ships aren't very different from their movie fellows. If Mace's ship had purple polka dots, and Kit's was rainbow-painted, then maybe there'd be grounds for 'eww, they're EU!' complaints.

And need I remind you, your own user name and avatar is an EU character!

Reaction score

Toonimator said:
And need I remind you, your own user name and avatar is an EU character!
No, of course not. I don't consider TFU and the new CW series to be EU, which is why I have all of those figures. Maybe it's just because I missed watching the CW series the first time around, but I don't have any figures from that series.

Reaction score

Toonimator said:
All else they released over the years were turquoise Delta from CW Microseries & comic...
I think this one might even have been in the movies too (assuming you count deleted scenes), in the background of the Jedi Temple hangar when Obi-Wan and Mace are chatting. it's been a while since I saw that scene though so maybe I should preface that with an "If I recall correctly".