Wattographs New CS piece!!!! Jabba!!

Reaction score
I would take any kind of signature from Stuart......glad he was able to sign for us. If you get a printed or a signed one its still him and very few people will have a pirnted version of his name.

Reaction score
I must say the sliver choice is looking good. I love that he signed right in the middle -

Reaction score
I was wondering if Wattographs asked him to sign in the middle. Sort of a place of honor. Do they plan out where everybody signs ahead of time? Presumably they would want to have them more or less the same for all of the CS pieces.

Reaction score
Kudos for Wattos landing Stuart Freeborn on this piece... just so awesome (and honored) to have him on there!!!

Reaction score
And come to think of it his "signature" is only S.Freeborn....he doesn't sign his whole name like he did back in the day (those are hard to come by). With the printed version you get his whole name.

Reaction score
True Josh. I have to believe Wattos gave him that spot of honor intentionally. He is one of the greats, not only in the Star Wars universe, but in Hollywood creature making period!

Reaction score
I agree, he deserves to sign in the middle. Can't wait till these are done. Props to Wattos for getting this together.

Reaction score
What is happening to Wattographs site, it didn't want to connect today?

Reaction score
tbh I am disappointed as I am one of the guys with an 11x14 on order. Just disappointment :/ here ( even though I understand the reasons ... ).

Reaction score
I got the 11x14 as well but I already have his on a Yoda pic so I'm happy. This was just a bonus anyway

Reaction score
zhamlau said:
loving this purchase more and more.
I am feeling you! First CS series and I picked up a 16x20. Would have been happy either way though with Freeborn. A signature is a signature.

Reaction score
Well according to an email I just received, Wattographs doesn't want any of the info they send via their emails to be posted on forums. Needless to say, I have removed the email that I quoted above, but I'm a little taken aback by this. There was never any indication that they expected their emails to be confidential. People post mass emails received from companies on forums all the time.

Reaction score
well, in all fairness it isn't thier site so it shouldn't be here. we have all been here long enough that it feels like a public place but someone does own it.

Reaction score
I was just a little put off by the tone of the email, which suggested that posting a copy of a mass email was bordering on the unethical. This isn't personal correspondence, so I don't think there is an expectation of privacy. If you want a mass email sent to customers to remain confidential, you need to specify that. I actually thought I was doing people a favor, not causing a problem. Anyway, just a heads up to everyone.

Reaction score
Actually, you paid for the photo, you paid for the autograph, you paid for the service. Any news your receive about said products and services you really are free to do with what you wish. The only issue they can legitimately have is using the photo of Stuart without their permission.

Reaction score
Well, I'm not interested in pressing that point. I'm more than happy to respect their request that the emails remain private. I can understand them not wanting their signers to be potentially embarrassed by some comment that wasn't intended for a wider audience, or whatever. I just think they should've made that clear at the outset.

Reaction score
most of the time they have a disclaimer attached at the bottom of the emails they send out. I thought this one did too, but it must have been forgotten.

Reaction score
None of the emails I've received have had any sort of disclaimer. But this is my first time using Wattographs, so I don't know what's been done in the past.

Reaction score
icruise said:
Well according to an email I just received, Wattographs doesn't want any of the info they send via their emails to be posted on forums. Needless to say, I have removed the email that I quoted above, but I'm a little taken aback by this. There was never any indication that they expected their emails to be confidential. People post mass emails received from companies on forums all the time.

Reaction score
So now that this is almost all paid for I was wondering if there are any more living signatures needed on this to truly make it complete? I am so excited to get this in person sometime in August or September (I guess).

Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to it too. It's been a little difficult for me to keep track of the progress because they have added names and shifted the schedule around. How many payments do we have left for the announced signers?

Reaction score
I believe they are somewhere around here -

(1) End of February/March - Stuart Freeborn
(2) April 1 - Howie Hammerman
(3) Middle of April - David Barclay
(4) Mike Quinn

Roger Christian
Tom McLaughlin
Mike Edmonds
Jez-Gibson Harris
Bob Keen
Richard Padbury
Toby Philpott
John Coppinger

Reaction score
But in terms of payments, we've already paid for everybody up to (and including) Jez-Gibson Harris and Bob Keen, right? Does that mean there are 3 people left to pay for?

Reaction score
According to my records we only have two people left to pay (finish it up this month).

Reaction score
sucho23 said:
According to my records we only have two people left to pay (finish it up this month).
I have the same thing. However . . . Jay posted on the Wattos boards that there might be another signer. Who is left for this piece?

EDIT: just got the May Jabba update - the new signer is Mark Osborn.

Also mentioned that their May signers will be up soon.

Reaction score
sucho23 said:
.. I was wondering if there are any more living signatures needed on this to truly make it complete?
On Pg. 85 of John Knoll's 'SW'365 days' book there is a pic of (during Post Prod. for an Insert shot) Dave Carson wearing Jabba's left hand that grabs the lil' treat to eat
Obviously the choice is yours but as far as the piece's approved standing goes (from Watto's POV) I'm not sure how they would feel about adding another name to the piece that they didn't aquire?

Reaction score
captsithpark said:
Obviously the choice is yours but as far as the piece's approved standing goes (from Watto's POV) I'm not sure how they would feel about adding another name to the piece that they didn't aquire?
Well, I'm not sure why we should care about how Wattographs feels about it. Once it's in your hands, you're free to do whatever you like with it. I don't think they go around "decertifying" pieces because somebody added an extra signature or two. That said, it could potentially affect the resale value. Some people might find the extra signatures to be a bonus, while others would prefer that the piece remain how it was when it left Wattographs. But that really depends on the buyer.

Reaction score
Dave Barclay's site says:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Later Dave was offered the chief puppeteer's role for Jabba, which he was able to take, and he chose Toby Philpott, as his "co-pilot" - Dave was right arm and jaw - Toby was left arm and tongue. Between them, they controlled his head and body, with Bob Keen and John Coppinger operating the facial radio controls, Richard Padbury, as Jabba's "smoke", Mike Osborn controlling the chest and stomach bladders, and Mike Edmonds and Tim Rose controlling Jabba's tail.

[/QUOTE]

This article also says that he helped construct the Jabba puppet.

If I understand the caption correctly, he's the one on the far left:

Reaction score
So I'm sure most of you have read the email by now. What are your thoughts on the $40 for Burtt? It's more than I want to pay but I'll probably go for it. Just wish I knew Burtt's "convention forecast" as I'd rather just get it in person one day.

Reaction score
IMO Burtt didn't do enough on Jabba to warrant him on there. If it was Larry Ward (RIP) maybe....but if I was part of this CS I'd pass on Ben.

Reaction score
My 2 cents... Burtt is worth every penny. Who knows if he'll do another convention... maybe he'll do more but why risk it. He's as important as any guy on there IMO.

Reaction score
Wow! Two opinions I respect and trust on the complete opposite ends of the spectrum on this one.

Reaction score
I respect Bret's opinion 100%... but last time I spoke to Ben Burtt, he told me he did some of the voicework for Jabba on Jedi. Straight from the horses mouth. It begs the follow-up question "was it on the original release, or the Special Edition"? which I will definitely be talking to him about at CV, but even if he didn't do any of the actual voicework on the OT, he still "designed" the voice. It's no different than the work he did on Chewbacca, or R2-D2, or any other thing you see in the entire Star Wars saga. Get him while you can guys...