Warthog & Y-Wing Deluxe "mini-rig" Class 1 vehicle

Reaction score
Re: Warthog & Y-Wing Deluxe \"mini-rig\" Class 1 vehicle

Warthog looks nice, but as always I'm not too hot on the vehicle. We'll see how it goes.

Reaction score

Looks like an altered, miniaturized Y-Wing in many ways:
---the rotating gun turret
---(kinda) the shape of the canopy (obviously it doesn't open to the side like a full size Y-Wing, but still)
---and the most obvious Y-Wing looking parts: the 2 "tails" there (albeit much shortened).

Also--is that a spot for a second gunner(a la the Clone Wars style Y-Wing) or possibly a slot for an astromech droid maybe?
Hmmm......somewhat interesting, at least.

GNT

Reaction score

What a strange looking vehicle, like a tank/Y-Wing rolled into one.

Reaction score

Most of the mini-rig creations don't really do much for me because they look too much like compromised toy-ish versions of larger vehicles (which if course is what they are). I'm less interested in that sort of thing than stuff that looks like it'd fit right into the SW universe rather than a toy line, so things like the little mini Republic Gunship aren't my cup of tea.

This one, however, is really cool. I appreciate it is based on a Y-Wing, but it's different enough looking to me and yet still very SW in feel , so I could imagine it flying around in the background of a scene from the OT or PT. Sell the clone, strip off the guns and add some weathering and everyday wear to it and it could be the speeder equivalent of a pick-up beetling about on Tatooine or a support vehicle in a hangar diorama. That's what I plan to turn one into anyhow.

I'd rather Hasbro derive their vehicles in this sku from actual on screen small vehicles, but if they're going to get creative and inventive, stuff like this is still pretty cool. I'm in for one at least.

Reaction score

Too bad Hasbro used their tooling dollars here rather than using them to make a bigger Y-Wing.

Reaction score

This is one of the few items I'll HAVE to get. IMO this is a TRUE Mini-Rig. It totally reminds me of the ISP-6 Vintage Mini-Rig. A smaller version of something big. I wonder if it'll fit an R2 unit in it or not. That would be really neat. :3

I'm so truly stoked about this little thing.

Reaction score

Michael_Knight said:
Too bad Hasbro used their tooling dollars here rather than using them to make a bigger Y-Wing.
I concur with that! looks like a piece of crap to me.

Reaction score

If they'd tooled up a new Y-wing they could've made the front detachable to make a mini-rig like this anyway.

Reaction score

Michael_Knight said:
I know what you mean but they probably figured this thing might actually sell better compared to the cost. They are probably right.

Reaction score

was Warthog on the show? if so, which episode(s)?

I've warmed up to this thing a lot since the first day the picture showed up online. Now I agree this IS a true mini-rig in the spirit of Kenner's designs and I quite want it now. I'll be picking it up, indeed.

Reaction score

Wookie_inked said:
Warthog is a clone pilot of the 104th Wolf Pack lead by Plo Koon.
Warthog appears in the episode 1 Holocron Heist of season 2. He pilots a blue V-19 torrent starfighter.

Reaction score

Michael_Knight said:
Though I do respect your thought and opinion on the waste of funding with these, of course(although, we have to admit that Hasbro is doing fairly well making good money w/this line in overall) but.....

1---I, IMHO, think the Y-Wing is just fine as is. It' basically a stripped down verison of that giant TCW one, thus the size & appearance work well for me.
2---Simply put, for me personally, and I know FOR A FACT that many other collectors have said the same (speaking on behalf of the average collector---unless one has full large rooms/areas in their home devoted solely to one's collection) space to display everything is becoming RAPIDLY more & more at a premium.
3---All our wallets could use a break----this is something that everybody always says, I know, but.......The prices that Hasbro is MSRP-ing for their larger than mid-size ($24.99 Starfighter box size) vehicles has literally double & in many case done MORE THAN THAT the last few years. Now, I know, inflation etc etc, but doubling & tripling prices in just a few years times is NOT acceptable.

An ARC-170 which was $29.99 during ROTS in '05 and remained the EXACT SAME price w/a yet EVEN MORE detailed deco 2 years later in 2007 during TAC at $29.99. However, that very same ship jumps up to MORE THAN DOUBLE between '07 & '09????? WTF man??? The "Shdow Squadron" ARC-170, 'The Flaming Wampa" Arc-170 go up to $$64.99 in less than 2 years?? How does that make any sense??

And then the Republic Gunship: $29.99 in the ROTS line in 2005 leapfrogs to SEVENTY DOLLARS (69.99) in less than 4 years time during the '09 TCW line??? Come on, now. That's a little much no matter how anyone attemps justification.

Thus, I guess my point being, one large size vehicle a year is enough(meaning: something at or over the approx $70-100 range)---and it better have nearly completely new molding, not something as trivial as just a new cockpit interior or some silly new cannon.

Thus, in the meantime, some of may have no choice but to satisfy our vehicle needs with the "Class 1 Fleet", mini-rigs, as unfortunate as that may sound. Ugh.

Reaction score

CaptainRex2a said:
Wookie_inked said:
Warthog is a clone pilot of the 104th Wolf Pack lead by Plo Koon.
Warthog appears in the episode 1 Holocron Heist of season 2. He pilots a blue V-19 torrent starfighter.
good to know, thank you

I need to watch that episode again sometime soon

Reaction score

Still looks like a piece of crap - money should have been spent elsewhere like on new tooled vehicles instead of reliving the past with these mini rig nightmares.

Reaction score

Michael_Knight said:
I agree! Why Hasbro? Why?

Reaction score

Looks pretty cool. Love the compact design. It would be a bonus if this li'l Y-Wing can be attached to a bigger ship. Something like the Republic Attack Shuttle where the front part can be detached and it becomes its own "mini-rig".

Anyway, will definitely pick this up. It's something different and hope the future CW episodes will show this more.

Reaction score

Okay, so people complain that they want more traditional vintage mini-rigs, they get them, and now they're crap? No pleasing SW Collectors. Maybe I can coax Hasbro into releasing nothing but speeder bikes for the Mini-Rig Line instead, would that make you happy?

Oh well, Maynard, I feel you and agree with your points man, unfortunately, looks like we're the minority here. Guess I'll go wait for this "piece of crap" mini-rig to come out. Which I happen to enjoy.

Reaction score

darthwalls said:
Michael_Knight said:
I agree! Why Hasbro? Why?
Yes Hasbro WHY??? when you could have tooled up some new or updated vehicles such as a completely new Y-Wing Fighter on par with the Clone Wars Y-Wing Bomber, or maybe an updated Darth Vader TIE Fighter with re-tooled centre section and proper new wings? instead we get this mini-rig garbage that nobody really wants, apart from the hard-core anally retentive collectors that would collect anything in a hand basket labeled Star Wars.

Please stop with the mini-rig obsession and the horrible Galactic Heroesque firing on steroids fat guns on everything you throw at us lately! We are getting tired of this - please hear us, please!

Reaction score

Correction, YOU are getting tired of this. I'm totally okay with Mini-Rigs. And I love how not making this Mini-Rig = a brand new Y-Wing. Yeesh.

And I'm glad they put firing fat guns on the toys or at least make them an option, gives younger kids something to do with the toys. Because not everyone sits them on a shelf and puts them on "display" and all, you know?

Reaction score

R5_D2 said:
Correction, YOU are getting tired of this. I'm totally okay with Mini-Rigs.
Me too. At the moment these mini rigs are the most exciting thing in the line(s) and even though I don't collect the animated figures personally, these vehicles are making it more interesting than the TVC line at present.

I am sick of resculpts and minor modifications! "Why, Hasbro, Why?" to THAT! There's nothing wrong with the vintage Y-Wing mould or the POTF2 Vader TIE!

Kids will buy small interesting vehicles and keep the line alive, because larger ones are getting too expensive for them to buy for themselves.

Reaction score

Darth_Satan said:
Kids will buy small interesting vehicles and keep the line alive, because larger ones are getting too expensive for them to buy for themselves.
Even more hurting the parents when the kids cry, beg and scream in the middle of the store - for those large vehicles ..

Reaction score

They could make some of the beasts from the cartoon in toy form, but I guess those don't do as well. The Can-cell seemed to sit around pegs.

Reaction score

I quite like this little Y-Wing mini-rig!

If I see this on the shelves, I'm gonna pick it up pronto!!!

Not a bad little Y-Wing variant, for a mini-rig vehicle!

Reaction score

Not a fan of the design. Something inspired by the original concept drawing by Ralph McQuarrie would have been nice.

Like this:

Could double as a submarine, too. Thoughts?

Reaction score

Darth_Satan said:
R5_D2 said:
Me too. At the moment these mini rigs are the most exciting thing in the line(s) and even though I don't collect the animated figures personally, these vehicles are making it more interesting than the TVC line at present.

I am sick of resculpts and minor modifications! "Why, Hasbro, Why?" to THAT! There's nothing wrong with the vintage Y-Wing mould or the POTF2 Vader TIE!

As I said before:

"instead we get this mini-rig garbage that nobody really wants, apart from the hard-core anally retentive collectors that would collect anything in a hand basket labeled Star Wars."

Reaction score

I'll be getting this one just for the figure. One more Stone sculpt to add to my collection!!!

Reaction score

I also may be getting this...mainly just for the Warthog figure.

But its also part of an actual Y-Wing Squadron detachment so there's that going for it as well.

Reaction score

LadyFerry said:
Darth_Satan said:
R5_D2 said:

As I said before:

"instead we get this mini-rig garbage that nobody really wants, apart from the hard-core anally retentive collectors that would collect anything in a hand basket labeled Star Wars."
I have said I don't collect resculpts. I don't buy animated figures or EU / comic stuff. Does that make me "hard core anally retentive"?

Do I buy "anything in a hand basket"?

Have I put forward the case that kids will buy this item?

Is that who it is actually aimed at in the first place?

Have those of us who have said that this is a pretty cool, retro idea, come across as easy-going?

And how does this make your little rant look?

Reaction score

Darth_Satan said:
LadyFerry said:
Darth_Satan said:
R5_D2 said:

As I said before:

I have said I don't collect resculpts. I don't buy animated figures or EU / comic stuff. Does that make me "hard core anally retentive"?

Do I buy "anything in a hand basket"?

Have I put forward the case that kids will buy this item?

Is that who it is actually aimed at in the first place?

Have those of us who have said that this is a pretty cool, retro idea, come across as easy-going?

And how does this make your little rant look?
Makes my 'rant' just as ridiculous as yours...

Reaction score

But somewhat personally insulting nevertheless. I managed to respond to you without dredging such depths. Take it to PM in future if you feel the need to not lighten up.

Reaction score

I want my cake and I want to eat it too. Give me this AND an updated and re-sculpted Y-wing. Thank you.

Reaction score

LadyFerry said:
Dumb lady rant about things.
You know what's funny? I'm like, the least hardcore Star Wars collector out there. And I'm also not an anal-retentive SW fan that collects everything under the sun. In fact, I'm quite opposite. Your stupidity in your posts makes my head hurt. =(

Your rant makes no sense, please stop saying words. You just look like a gigantic a**.

Reaction score

I like the mini-rigs. I'm thrilled to see this, even if I don't think it's the best possible "Y-wing mini-rig" they could've designed. That other 'concept' posted, based more on McQuarrie's painting, looks neat except for the 'push astromech dome to drop bombs' part (I like being able to switch out astromechs, as this new mini-rig seems to offer).

I'm tired of the Deluxe line featuring so many BARCs--gunner sidecar or no--and frosty Freecos (yeah, only two, I know) and low-articulation AT-RTs (again, only two, I know). I'm glad to see some more proper mini-rigs. I would LIKE to see more movie/CW actual vehicles, like the ROTJ Speeder Bike or the Trandoshan hover-pod thing. I know the ROTJ bike's supposed to be on the way, and even with all the CW invented mini-rigs we've still got the snazzy bikes used by Castas & Boba Fett coming very soon.

I'd also like to see creatures; the Can-Cell is crap, that's why it didn't do so well. It's a 6 year old critter that was never featured very prominently. I'd love to see those beasts the Twi'leks rode in the Ryloth episodes, with the leader of the Twi'lek resistance (SA, of course) as the pack-in. Maybe a new CW Jar Jar or other Gungan warrior with a Kaadu. An Eopie with Cut Lawquane or his wife Suu.

And to those who think the tooling costs of this mini-rig coulda been put towards a brand-new OT Y-wing: quit fooling yourselves. All the tooling budget of THIS vehicle did is prevent/delay some OTHER Deluxe-line vehicle or creature. That's it. The budgets for the lines are separate, like it or not.

Reaction score

The Warthog figure looks nice enough for a buy. Just have to wait to see it in person before I decide.

Reaction score

If a figure fits in that tail gun position I can picture my son and I having a blast with this mini-rig, although it'd look even better with a bubble window atop the tail gun station like the full size CW Y-wing has.

I understand the inclusion of a clone figure in the set but I'd rather see a different alien of some sort.

Still and all, its an unlikely purchase we'd make. As ever there's an affinity for things more closely linked to the show given the limited toy budget we have.

Reaction score

If C-3PO can sit in the cockpit and R2-D2 can fit in the back, this becomes the toy I always wanted when I was 6. The original Kenner Y-Wing was nice but not funky enough, the Side Gunner was nice but not quite a perfect fit. I can say without hyperbole that this is the single most exciting vehicle I've seen in at least 2 years. The Big AT-AT is nice, but I've got big AT-ATs. The Republic Attack Shuttle has a lot going for it, but (until I get my hands on one) it seems like a vehicle I don't much care for being given the royal toy feature treatment.

But this? This is beautiful. I was writing up some stuff where I was bemoaning the bizarre "let's make something new" original creations I loved out of Kenner in the 1980s and 1990s, like the Predator line. Did you see that? Crazy. When I discovered the secondary market for toys was a thing that existed, picking up the Mini-Rigs I never owned was one of the first things on my to-do list.

I have to assume it's going to be awesome when I get my hands on it. I was seriously bored with the bike variants-- Cad's, Castas', the BARC speeders, all these one-man open-air vehicles are a drag. (Ditto with G.I. Joe.) This looks genuinely exciting. I hope it sells extremely well and Hasbro makes a few more just like it in the future, I liked the Naboo Star Skiff for what it was and this seems to be a genuinely better, more fun vehicle with more going on for the money.

...were I collecting toys, but not Star Wars, this is something that'd bring me back into the line. But I like the Kenner aesthetic a great deal, so. (If Hasbro made a new line of figures with 5 points of articulation for $5 each that are about 5-inches tall, I'd buy that too.) (Heck, while we're here, I'd buy weird 1990s Kenner-inspired designs too. Bio Glow Swamp Thing-up Clone Wars a bit, let's have some fun here.)

Reaction score

Once available, hunt for the sale and will get couple of this guy.! Along with this ... will put in the non-animated Clones and have them displayed with Republic Attack Shuttle, couple AT-RTs and Barcs ... awesome!!

I hope those CW troopers including the ARFs will be released into the non-animated style.