Walmart G1 Transformers Re-issues

Reaction score
What's up everybody? I've been collecting some figures from this line which has been really awesome. So far we have had Devastator, Hot Rod, Starscream, Bumblebee and etc. . Some upcoming figures include Soundwave B) and Optimus Prime. All packed in the amazing G1 style box.

Reaction score
Prime is out. I saw 6 at WM this morning, but since it's $50 for just the cab, it was an easy pass. I still have my original and the TRU reissue from several years ago, so I don't need yet another. I do want that Soundwave when it comes out, though.

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
Nice flashback to the 80's. I did get the mini cars so I'm looking forward to seeing what else they do.

Reaction score
I was able to find Hot Rod, Devastator, and Starscream without any trouble at all. Other than the initial delay of when they were expected to arrive. The mini-bots were quite a bit harder to find. I found Bumblebee, Swerve, and Tailgate about a month ago. I just now found Outback about a week ago. I was able to find all 4 bots between 4 different Walmarts. I'm definitely looking forward to Soundwave. I never had a G1 Soundwave so here's my chance!

Reaction score
Id love to see G1 re release whatever of Soundwave at the Walmart store. I would grab it and buy it. all I ever see whenever I go to the Walmart store once every 2 months they have Hot Rod aka Rodimus Prime along with one or two Starscreams

Reaction score
I'm really liking that Mirage, and I never had him as a kid. SOoooo tempting, but I cannot be drawn into another line...

Reaction score
For a G1 Classic re release at Walmart stores, Optimus Prime really is a bit spendy while Starscream and Rodimus are cheaper at like 20 bucks or whatever.

Cripes almighty

Reaction score
I've come close to getting Prime many times. $50 isn't too bad, but I feel that he's missing something...

GNT

Reaction score
The tapes are cool and a must buy, love all the retro toylines over the last year and a bit.

Reaction score
My Walmart must be gearing up to put the new sets out. The carded cars were 4.00 and Prime was 25.00.

Reaction score
weeks ago this month when i was at the Walmart store, i found some of the smaller retro figures of Classic Bumblebee along with that tank transformer. They were 4 or 5 bucks each.

Reaction score
Picked up both tape 2 packs at Walmart this morning. One other Walmart had 3 full cases of the Gears/Warpath wave.
What's the retail price for the tape packs? I can't even guess from the extremely optimistic ebay listings, lol.

Reaction score
I've come close to getting Prime many times. $50 isn't too bad, but I feel that he's missing something...
It's pretty messed up, really.... Prime without anything was $49.97. Soundwave is the same price? :wtf:

Reaction score
It's pretty messed up, really.... Prime without anything was $49.97. Soundwave is the same price? :wtf:
seriously what the hell? this is pretty much my only chance to get soundwave without buying broken garbage off ebay.
and hes 50 damn dollars?! wtf and prime for the same price with no trailer is ludicorous.
thank god i kept my childhood g2 optimus after i finally found him.

Reaction score
Man! I felt like I was dreaming.

Soundwave is in stock! I read the reports of the tapes showing up, so I thought I would browse my local Wal-Marts and to my utter amazement: there he was! Soundwave. An instant buy. I rarely ever find anything on the store shelves. I had four to choose from. The other Wal-Mart's action figure aisle was nearly wiped except for Marvel Legends and Toy Story stuff. No tapes were at either location. Wanted to buy Optimus, had many opportunities to do so, and would have if he only had his trailer!

To further add to my feeling that I was dreaming: the Wal-Mart I found Soundwave at completely removed their Star Wars section! The aisle was completely full of toys with absolutely no space for Star Wars. No end caps, other locations anything.

Reaction score
I have all my G1 stuff from childhood. But it will be VERY hard to walk away from these if I see them in store. Getting a nice, fresh Soundwave without loose joints would be awesome. But it will be a day by day, wait and see kind of thing.

Reaction score
How many carded cassette packs are there? I see three empty peg spots with different numbers on the stickers at my Wal-Mart.

Reaction score
Each two pack has it's own SKU, so that might be why you see different numbers. As far as I know, there are only two. Laserbeak and the Blue one. Ravage and the Red one. I say that because once again, Hasbro has them as Frenzy (Blue) and Rumble (Red). Yet with an upcoming release from Siege, they call the Red one Frenzy!

Also managed to pick up a Prime on clearance for $25.00 yesterday at my local Walmart. I keep checking for Soundwave on brickseek, but nothing just yet. But more stores in the 50 mile radius are getting them. Hopefully by the end of the week?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Each two pack has it's own SKU, so that might be why you see different numbers. As far as I know, there are only two. Laserbeak and the Blue one. Ravage and the Red one. I say that because once again, Hasbro has them as Frenzy (Blue) and Rumble (Red). Yet with an upcoming release from Siege, they call the Red one Frenzy!
Yep, the Transformers equivalent of Zuckuss/4-LOM. I'm guessing this time around, Hasbro kept the old names so that it would mimic the 1980's packages perfectly, but all G1 fans know that Rumble is the blue one and Frenzy is the red one. The cartoon canon trumps the packaging every time.

Reaction score
I found the G1 tapes last night. I picked up the Rumble because I couldn't remember if I had one. I have an original beat up Soundwave, but also got the TRU reissue one from years ago, with the double loading cassette deck. I really like that one!

Reaction score
I think the names are correct, its just the cartoon got it wrong...they got many things wrong...skyfire?

Reaction score
I think the names are correct, its just the cartoon got it wrong...they got many things wrong...skyfire?
Skyfire was a situation they couldn't avoid due to licensing issues with the Macross Veritech mold they used for him, so they effectively wound up not being able to use the character as named. Or designed.

Reaction score
I think you're right. Rumble was always intended to be the Red one. But why not just fix it after the first episode? They let that mistake run through the whole series. SO, Cartoon canon is my canon. Even when I got the two packs as a kid, I remember thinking Hasbro messed them up!

As for Skyfire, I just don't understand why Hasbro didn't at least sculpt a new head that could be used on the Robotech mold. Something that would at least look a little more like the cartoon. Because the Jetfire toy is pretty far off the mark.

Reaction score
There are some G1 Jetfires that still have the Robotech symbol on the wing.

I think you're right. Rumble was always intended to be the Red one. But why not just fix it after the first episode? They let that mistake run through the whole series. SO, Cartoon canon is my canon. Even when I got the two packs as a kid, I remember thinking Hasbro messed them up!

As for Skyfire, I just don't understand why Hasbro didn't at least sculpt a new head that could be used on the Robotech mold. Something that would at least look a little more like the cartoon. Because the Jetfire toy is pretty far off the mark.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The UPC for the cassette 2 packs(both versions are listed under this) is 630509807925. This is the number you want to give to an employee when inquiring.

Anyone have the Warpath wave UPC?

Reaction score
I picked up the Prime cab on clearance for $20. The only other version I have of this one is the G2 release.
Once it hit clearance, it was selling pretty quickly in our area. I found one for $25, and figured if I didn't get it then, I'd miss out. Still kinda overpriced for just the cab, but I can live with it.

Reaction score
The UPC for the cassette 2 packs(both versions are listed under this) is 630509807925. This is the number you want to give to an employee when inquiring.

Anyone have the Warpath wave UPC?
Thank you! I kept checking brickseek using alternating SKU's for each two pack. Kept coming up as out of stock. I just used the UPC you provided, and some stores a little further out are showing in stock. That's the same thing that happened with Soundwave. It started further out, then showed up at my store a couple days later. I'll keep checking now!

Reaction score
One of my WM's dropped Prime to $13 somewhere around tuesday, went in last night and even though the site said 'limited stock' I couldn't locate them where I had spotted them for $25 the week before. Checked the toy clearance and regular clearance sections. But oh well, it was one of those things I was buying more because it was a good deal than something I was really after.

I did pick up both the Cassette packs.

Reaction score
One of my WM's dropped Prime to $13 somewhere around tuesday, went in last night and even though the site said 'limited stock' I couldn't locate them where I had spotted them for $25 the week before. Checked the toy clearance and regular clearance sections. But oh well, it was one of those things I was buying more because it was a good deal than something I was really after.

I did pick up both the Cassette packs.
Yeah, that's usually the way it goes. Brickseek will show in stock, but they are nowhere to be found in the store. Once things like this hit clearance they really do get cleared out quickly. I was always on the fence about this release since I have the older re-release with the trailer and DVD.

I found the cassette packs as well, but $20 per pack is really a bit steep. I just bit the bullet and bought them. I'll probably get Soundwave at full price a well. Don't want to miss out by waiting for it to go down in price.

Reaction score
This might sound weir but I am happy that my local Walmart sold out on their current 'G1 Vintage' stuff. I know that I would have love seeing a MISB piece on my shelf while awaiting to send another off to AFA. And that it would remind me of the better times in my life. But in the end I am finding that I might be better off just going for the Encore and Masterpiece stuff. Because I like being different even if it means people try even less to understand me. B)

I found the cassette packs as well, but $20 per pack is really a bit steep. I just bit the bullet and bought them. I'll probably get Soundwave at full price a well. Don't want to miss out by waiting for it to go down in price.
The funny thing is that $16.99 (the Sears catalog price for Soundwave) in 1985 equates to $40.51 today. Which is close to $10 less than what Walmart is asking. With the same being said when it comes to the mini-cassettes. With inflation their price would have been around $9.51. So when if it helps think of the "premium" as being a "At least I was not forced to buy these on eBay!" fee. :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, that's usually the way it goes. Brickseek will show in stock, but they are nowhere to be found in the store. Once things like this hit clearance they really do get cleared out quickly. I was always on the fence about this release since I have the older re-release with the trailer and DVD.

Yeah, I had a little bit of buyers remorse on them, but that'll fade. Because cassette tapes that turn into robot warriors and birds and panthers are just...just great.

Reaction score
This might sound weir but I am happy that my local Walmart sold out on their current 'G1 Vintage' stuff. I know that I would have love seeing a MISB piece on my shelf while awaiting to send another off to AFA. And that it would remind me of the better times in my life. But in the end I am finding that I might be better off just going for the Encore and Masterpiece stuff. Because I like being different even if it means people try even less to understand me. B)

The funny thing is that $16.99 (the Sears catalog price for Soundwave) in 1985 equates to $40.51 today. Which is close to $10 less than what Walmart is asking. With the same being said when it comes to the mini-cassettes. With inflation their price would have been around $9.51. So when if it helps think of the "premium" as being a "At least I was not forced to buy these on eBay!" fee. :p
When you put it that way it makes the price easier to swallow. Soundwave and Prime (even Starscream) are robots that I always wanted as a kid, but never did get them for various reasons. I could never find Soundwave or Starscream at any toy store, so I settled for Thundercracker. Prime was always out of my price range of what my parents were willing to buy for me. Getting the chance to get my favorite characters is like a dream come true really.

The final couo de grace would be to re-issue Megatron in his classic pistol form. Of course that would most likely never happen even if they could just put an orange tip on the end. I guess in a way they already did with Starscream. Megatron was the one big Transformer I was able to convince my Dad to buy for me. I played the hell out of that toy when I was little. It ended up breaking after many years of use. Still should have kept it though, but oh well.

I did end up finding a Prime for $13 in a beat up box. Even though I have the 25th anniversary release with the trailer and extra goodies it's still worth picking up the latest re-issue. After watching a review I realized the new one has the long exhaust pipes whereas the 25th release are trimmed down to mere nubs. Also, the wide silver stripe around the middle is painted on vs. being stickers on the 25th release. The only thing they could have done to make the new one perfect IMO is to tampoprint the Autobot logo on Primes shoulders. The 25th release has it printed while the new re-release are stickers. Bummer. Now as I type this I wonder if it's possible to swap arms without damaging it? Is it screws or are parts glued together I wonder? I need to look into it this evening.

Edit: Upon further review of an original G1 Prime it can be all disassembled by unscrewing things. I hope Hasbro didn't decide to glue anything on the re-issues. I'm going to try to swap the shoulders tonight and try to make the ultimate G1 Prime. Upon even closer inspection, I realize the smoke stacks are different between the 2 releases in how they attach to the shoulders. I may have to modify the 25th shoulders to accommodate the new smoke stacks from the Walmart release.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As far as the G1 Megatron is concerned I got the E-Hobby version a few years back from BBTS. I think I paid mane 75 shipped.