VOTC Luke Skywalker

GNT

Reaction score
(Toy Fair samples, click to enlarge)

The VOTC line continues with the release of the 12th Tatooine Luke figure (Yep 12th!) this time featuring a cloth shirt which from memory is the first for Luke and comes with his trusty blue lightsaber. Lukes long sleeved shirt does look like it can be removed so I don't think the ladies will be passing on this version of Luke.

Whats everyone think of the figure? Head? Use of cloth goods? Are you going to buy the new removable clothes Luke or is your Luke army to full for another and have decided to pass? Talk about the new Luke here.

Reaction score
I'll buy him. I like the way the soft-goods look (on card, at least), and I dig the whole VOTC concept in a big way.

But...do you really think the ladies are gonna say, "oooh, removable shirt Mark Hamill! Gotta have him!"

Now if they'd made Slave Leia with removable Iron Bikini, the guys would probably react that way. But with very few exceptions, men are enormous pigs. God bless us!

GNT

Reaction score
Imrahil2001 said:
But...do you really think the ladies are gonna say, "oooh, removable shirt Mark Hamill! Gotta have him!"
I think so, wheres some female collectors when you need them?
Good point about the removable Iron Bikini Leia (never would happen though) Hasbro could get away with it with Luke but not with Leia. Perhaps Hasbro will glue the shirt on his back so it can't be removed?

Reaction score
I hope they give him a hairy chest. Softgoods hair!

Still, this would probably be good for customs, for those who want/need bare torsos or arms for things. Makes me think of Jahn/Bahb from the Marvel comics.

One quibble: the likeness on the head doesn't look very good, from what I can see.

GNT

Reaction score
Imrahil2001 said:
I hope they give him a hairy chest. Softgoods hair!
They could use the same material they used on the flocked chewbacca prototype, that would give people a shock and very Austin Powers like
*shudder* Hasbro just can't do humans right espicially Luke (perhaps Han as well) so it gives them another chance for another Luke down the road. Not the best Luke head but it'll do for now.

Luke has a ring on his belt so I wonder if his Lightsaber might be able to attach to it? Would be a nice touch.

GNT

Reaction score
Hasbro has updated:

Vintage Figure Spotlight: Luke Skywalker from A New Hope

In A New Hope, we met Luke Skywalker, a simple, restless farm boy unaware of the Jedi path in his future. This figure takes us back to the desert planet of Tatooine, where Luke spent his childhood working on his uncle’s moisture farm.

The vintage Luke wears a soft-goods white tunic and belt (both removable) and has c-grips on both hands to hold his accompanying lightsaber. He has a total of 14 points of articulation including double-pivot ankles and ball-jointed mid-torso, hips, and knees. He has standard articulation at the head, elbows, and forearms/wrists.

For those of you who haven’t seen one of our Vintage Figure Spotlights yet, here’s an overview of the vintage figures’ best feature – the Original Trilogy Collection packaging. The replicated packaging elements include:

Double-silver bars bordering the package, exclusive to A New Hope
Coffin-style blister
Price box
Butterfly peg hook, die-cut but not punched out!
Same unique accent color behind each figure
And the Kenner logo
The vintage package is completed with a new, official Star Wars clamshell with Rebel and Imperial logos in the upper-left and -right hand corners as well as an embossed, official Star Wars logo on the back.

You’ll notice that the backs of the vintage cards are different from the “12-back” originals. For legal reasons, Hasbro cannot cross-sell old figures on current products, nor can we display old promotional offers that were on some originals. However, the new cross-sell harkens back to the 70’s with its accent color (matching the front) and displays pictures of the original packages for reference.

Reaction score
I agree, I wasn't liking a couple of them when the first photographs came out but now that I see them carded I can't wait.

Reaction score
This is one I'm gonna buy. The entire VOTC line is shapin up to be the best Hasbro has given us in a long time

Reaction score
Wow! If this 1st wave look so awesome, can't wait to see the other few waves too...especially VOTC Boba Fett Carded Figure

J

Reaction score
Why does Hasbro keep making such a BIG deal over this packaging??? I mean YEA its cool...but "best part" I dont think so...I wish they would have given us some new pics of the figures instead of rambling about the packaging three times in a row(with each update).

Reaction score
The_Real_Scooby said:
I was wondering, if Luke is either NAKED under the skirt or if there is a sculptered one underneith ?

Anyone ?
Right now, I'm thinking scuplted one underneath, similar to vintage cloth Jawa...no sense in Hasbro revisiting old POTF2 memories!

Reaction score
Not all that keen on this figure, don't think the likness is very good at all and im not a big fan of the soft goods on this figure.

The worst of the bunch of ANH Vinty figures, Obi and Han totally blow this figure away.

Reaction score
I actually like the cloth clothes-I was alway partial to them which is why i like the Princess leia collection so much. I just wish the backs were a little more 70s style with some kind of checklist

Reaction score
I've been imagining the custom fodder possibilities if VOTC Luke is truly shirtless under the tunic. It might be the first time in ages that I'm looking forward to another Tatooine Luke.

Reaction score
Tyrannusspotting said:
I can't wait to get him, though his hair seem a bit too blond right now.
yeah I also think his hair looks a bit .. well... crap

I'm also worried about what's under his removable tunic, not sure I want a bare-chested Luke

Good job Leia's only got a cloth skirt, I'd hate to think Hasbro intended to steal the modesty of my beloved Princess!!

Reaction score
Bounty_Hunter_GNT said:
Hasbro has updated:
You’ll notice that the backs of the vintage cards are different from the “12-back” originals. For legal reasons, Hasbro cannot cross-sell old figures on current products, nor can we display old promotional offers that were on some originals. However, the new cross-sell harkens back to the 70’s with its accent color (matching the front) and displays pictures of the original packages for reference.

That's so much bull on Hasbro's part. Mattel did the exact same thing with their Masters of the Universe re-issued line. And they were able to recreate both the exact front and back of the old cardbacks, including the offering of figures not available. All they did was add a lil "not available" disclaimer!!! Hasbro could have done the same thing!!!!

But they still look nice!!!

Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Why does Hasbro keep making such a BIG deal over this packaging??? I mean YEA its cool...but "best part" I dont think so...I wish they would have given us some new pics of the figures instead of rambling about the packaging three times in a row(with each update).

[/QUOTE]

Indeed. It's the toy that makes, well, the toy. I could give a toss about the package.

GNT

Reaction score
Hasbro:

Hasbro cannot cross-sell old figures on current products, nor can we display old promotional offers that were on some originals.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but hasbro isn't selling old figures on current products, Hasbro is selling new figures on old cards.

I understand the 2nd part about promotional offers, wouldn't want to buy any of them that had a promotional offer that expired 20 years ago.

J

Reaction score
Bounty_Hunter_GNT said:
Hasbro:

Hasbro cannot cross-sell old figures on current products, nor can we display old promotional offers that were on some originals.
Yeah but hasbro isn't selling old figures on current products, Hasbro is selling new figures on old cards.

I understand the 2nd part about promotional offers, wouldn't want to buy any of them that had a promotional offer that expired 20 years ago.

[/QUOTE]

In the event that theres a promo offer on the back of the cards from over 20 years ago...whats the worst that can happen? Lets say you go to the store, and buy figures and on the cards you see a promo offer that reads "Win! Star Wars Bellbottoms!" and next to it it reads "Offer Expires 5/31/78"...how is this bad? I think it would be great to see what was being offered in a promo from over 20 years ago. Are they really assuming...are WE really assuming collectors are THAT stupid?

-J

Reaction score
I don't mind Luke's soft goods tunic, but I would have preferred a molded tunic with a removable soft goods poncho. Hasbro should have gone all out and included all accessories included with the previous Tatooine Lukes(lightsaber, hilt, blast shield helmet, hat, macrobinoculars, grappling hook, and mini skyhopper) and maybe include a stormtrooper utility belt and stormtrooper blaster. While they're at it include a moisture vaporator unit. Granted, that would have jacked up the price a bit, but what the heck? I like the extra points of articulation.

GNT

Reaction score
GH has some nice loose pictures of the new Tatooine Luke, he doesn't look that bad with the cloth. What does everyone think?

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Looks a little puffy, but I need to get my hands on it so I can see how he looks with his belt lower and soft goods arranged properly. I hate when Hasbro or retailers pose figures the worst possible way...

Reaction score
Great new way of sculpting Luke's likeness. The cloth is way to puffy. Hasbro should have used the same cloth as was used on soft goods Obi Wan and Qui-Gon from the EP 1 line.

Reaction score
I dub him: DAY SPA LUKE.

"After a long day on the moisture farm, come to the Desert Wind Day Spa to let all that stress melt away. Slip into a smooth bantha fur bath robe, and get ready to let the waves of relaxation roll over you. You'll be treated to a cucumber facial and deep tissue massage followed by a long soak in our heated mineral mud. Desert Wind Day Spa: Your Tatooine oasis."

GNT

Reaction score
So is VOTC Luke showing up at all??? Wonder what the delay is with figure if the others are out??? Anyone seen Luke?

Reaction score
Haven't seen any VOTC myself, but everyone who has reported finding them has seemed to only find Han, Leia, and Ben and those are the only ones available on Amazon as well. Weird...

Reaction score
I was just going to ask "where are all of the VOTC Lukes?" I found the other 3 VOTC figures here this past weekend at a local chain of Comic/Music stores.

At first I thought someone beat me to the punch, but now hearing that Amazon.com and other e-retailers do not have the figure has me wondering what is up with this guy. I hope his late shipping won't mean there will be less of him than the others.

Reaction score
I was just going to ask "where are all of the VOTC Lukes?" I found the other 3 VOTC figures here this past weekend at a local chain of Comic/Music stores.

[/QUOTE]
Hey! I know what chain you're talkn' about! Newberry Comics , right? The one that I went to (the new one in Avon,MA) had one Han, Leia, & Ben. I wanted to get Luke first, too, but when they didn't have him, I just got Han.

Reaction score
That's the place man. Glad to see another "local" on the boards. I'm kinda bummed about Luke not making it into the first shipments of figures. He was the one I was most looking forward to getting. After seeing the Leia in person, I'll be passing. I think the Han figure might be the best of the first wave. No cruddy "soft goods" to mess it up.

GNT

Reaction score
VOTC Luke Is Out There
Numerous reports have been coming in that the VOTC Luke Skywalker, like the one pictured on the left, have been hitting the pegs at Meijer stores across the US. So keep an eye out for Luke!

Reaction score
That sucks because Meijer stores don't exist here in the Northeast.

Reaction score
Bounty_Hunter_GNT said:
So is VOTC Luke showing up at all??? Wonder what the delay is with figure if the others are out??? Anyone seen Luke?
Not here yet
I heard a news that Luke will showing up around mid July.It causes a problem that everyone want him so badly now.So he must sold out very quickly when he is out.Maybe you will pay more to get him,IMO