Vintage: Why are the parts on my 12" figures melting?

G

I have put this thead up on SWCA.
Be aware vintage doll collectors to check for plastizer reaction on IG88 (due to the
bandolier on the bullets and doll)
stormtrooper (wrists),boba fett (belt,wrists)
Han(gun in holster)..... JUst about any thing where vinyl is in contact with styrene
could be a problem the result is the styrene
starting to look melted as the plastizers
leach from the vinyl into the styrene.
separately bag all weapons potentially at risk!! I have had problems with the IG 88,
and stormtrooper I was lucky I caught them in time!!!!!! gutted!

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: flarida ]

Reaction score
I wonder what the catalyst is for the melting to begin - heat?

------------------
Forum Moderator, BHC
musasa@collectstarwars.com
At night, when the urge is strongest and the thought of fresh brains is upon me, I transform into... Ewok Zombie!

G

Some chemicals just take a long time to begin their reactions.

[This message has been edited by jhusman (edited 03-24-2001).]

G

I just checked my 12" figs and there doesn't seem to be a problem so far. This whole thing sucks though. You got me all worried now. I want to be able to display my 12" vintage collection, not seperately bag each weapon, etc. Is this a given that this will eventually happen?

G

possible catalysts for plasticizer leaching
could be heat,humidity and oxidation.
these things are old with time it is inevitable that chemical reactions are occassionally gonna happen,so your presevation care needs to adjust accordingly
take the precautions and things will be fine

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maverick5:
musasa... this is the thread on the melting issue....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think there really is one. The process is known as "vinyl migration" and it can occur whenever vinyl comes in contact with another plastic. I'm no chemist, but, in this reaction, certain properties of the vinyl literally migrate into the plastic material it's touching and actually change the latter material chemically. The plastic takes on properites of the vinyl, namely its flexibility, and it typically becomes goopy or "melted."

I'm sure friction (caused by rotating the rubber hands of the 12" stormtrooper figure, etc.), heat and other conditions will accelerate the process; but the reaction is really capable of happening on its own.

This reaction typically is a problem with the 12" line. But I've also seen it occur to the plastic trays of the vinyl carrying case. Figures left in these trays for a long time will seem to have "melted" the areas of the trays in which they are laying.

ron