Vintage: Who has the largest collection in the world?

G

Guest

I was just wondering who you guys consider to have the biggest Star Wars collection in the world. Steve Sansweet is certainly one of the best known collectors, but Guiness lists Jason Joiner as having the largest collection. Or could it be there is someone else, relatively unknown out there, quietly laying stuff down in a black hole that we don't know about?
Not that it's particularly important, we all collect what we love and it's not size that matters!

Any thoughts?

jimmyshoes

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: flarida ]
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
Messages
2,198
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimmyshoes:
I was just wondering who you guys consider to have the biggest Star Wars collection in the world. Steve Sansweet is certainly one of the best known collectors, but Guiness lists Jason Joiner as having the largest collection. Or could it be there is someone else, relatively unknown out there, quietly laying stuff down in a black hole that we don't know about?
Not that it's particularly important, we all collect what we love and it's not size that matters!

Any thoughts?

jimmyshoes
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


The Guinness thing is worthless. I don't believe they even checked out Sansweet's collection when naming their biggest Star Wars collector. Basically, Joiner told the Guinness people he had the biggest collection and they took his word for it. How else would they tabulate something like that? They certainly didn't go on tour across the globe seeking out large collections which might rival Joiner's.

As for who really does have the biggest, most comprehensive collection, my money is still on Sansweet. I'm sure Joiner's is large too, though. Duncan Jenkins also has an enormous collection.

ron
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2001
Messages
2,820
Reaction score
0
Making collection comparisons can be tricky because not everybody collects the same thing. Sansweet's collection really covers a lot of ground including of course vintage toys, as well as posters, props, clothing, games, food premiums and pretty much everything else.

Some other collections may only include posters and props, while most of the people on these boards probably go in mostly for toys.

R. Jason Coulston
rjcoulston@home.com
 

Log

Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
3,220
Reaction score
0
I tend to think that Sansweet has the biggest. I've seen pics of his collection in Starlog and many other mags and he has a ton of stuff.

jcoulston makes a good point though.

------------------
"The doll's trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughin' at me!"- Homer Simpson
 
Joined
Nov 5, 2000
Messages
2,427
Reaction score
0
Let's not forget quality over quantity.I think most of us would trade are whole collections for an original prop from one of the movies,and I think sansweet has quite a few props.
 
G

Guest

Yeah, I see where you are all coming from, some interesting points raised. How DO you go about assessing the size of someone's collection? Is it purely sheer number of items? What happens if someone has 25,000 trading cards? Or crisp packets?
About Guiness, yeah I see what your saying but as I understand it, if someone came forward and challenged Jason's collection, they would have to establish who's was the larger. So far no-one has.
Personally I would love to see how Steve's and Jason's collections stack up against each other piece for piece, if for nothing else other than to see some damn nice stuff!

jimmyshoes
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
5,198
Reaction score
0
I've suggested to lots of sites to add a collections section to their site which could have:

1) Top 20,30 or 50 collections in the world(with pics, maybe fans could vote every month or something)maybe break it down into specific categories.
or
2) Top collections of the month,
or
3) Post 10 collection pics each month and have fans vote, then at the end of the year take the 12 winners and have a winner for collection of the year!!!

I thought it would be a pretty cool idea, I'm sure there are a lot of other ideas that would compliment these.
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2001
Messages
12,726
Reaction score
1
Location
NJ
Ron

Somebody started a similar thread a while back and a SW special that was on TV before Ep. I was brought up. Gus and Pam are on the special and a collector by the name of Lauren Bock was brought up. I have this special on tape and have seen the video. His collection may not be Sansweets but it has to rank up there. Are there any pics of his collection posted anywhere? Is he just a guy who collects and stays ot of the scene? I saw him on that special but that is all I have ever heard about him.

John

------------------
check out my ME page http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/fett-hunter Always looking for *ANY* Biker Scouts (See my want list)
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2001
Messages
12,726
Reaction score
1
Location
NJ
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jcoulston:
Here you go John:

http://www.toysrgus.com/gusandpam/bobacabana.html

R. Jason Coulston
rjcoulston@home.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanx Jason but I wan't asking about Gus. I have seen that. That is really impressive. I was asking about Lauren Bock. He's an older guy that was on that same special. He even has toys in his bathroom. He has everything from vintage to Ep.I and that is the ONLY place I have ever seen him or his collection.

John



------------------
check out my ME page http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/fett-hunter Always looking for *ANY* Biker Scouts (See my want list)
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
Messages
2,198
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jcoulston:
Making collection comparisons can be tricky because not everybody collects the same thing. Sansweet's collection really covers a lot of ground including of course vintage toys, as well as posters, props, clothing, games, food premiums and pretty much everything else.

Some other collections may only include posters and props, while most of the people on these boards probably go in mostly for toys.

R. Jason Coulston
rjcoulston@home.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically, any collection that wants to be considered for "largest" has to include pretty much everything. That's what disinguishes collections like Sansweet's and Duncan's-- I'm being serious when I say they don't just collect one or two areas, but *everything*. Duncan is looking for things like ESB placemats with variant boxes.

These guys are way past the toys most of us are infatuated with. They bought those at retail prices in the '80s, so they haven't spent their life savings on the relatively expensive items.

Others such as Gus and Lauren, though they might have excellent, focused collections, can't compare to the depth and sheer volume of the collections of people like Sansweet.

Keep in mind that we're not talking about who has the "best" collection; that's a subjective point. We're talking in terms of size and comprehensiveness.

ron
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
Messages
2,198
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bobafett14:
I've suggested to lots of sites to add a collections section to their site which could have:

1) Top 20,30 or 50 collections in the world(with pics, maybe fans could vote every month or something)maybe break it down into specific categories.
or
2) Top collections of the month,
or
3) Post 10 collection pics each month and have fans vote, then at the end of the year take the 12 winners and have a winner for collection of the year!!!

I thought it would be a pretty cool idea, I'm sure there are a lot of other ideas that would compliment these.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


No offense, but I really think people should avoid getting into comparing collections to so great an extent. Everyone collects what he or she wants, and it's not really supposed to be a competition. I couldn't even imagine trying to come up with a list of the top 50 collections.

Sharing photos of collections is certainly a lot of fun, though. And your idea of voting is interesting. But I'd personally like it more if people voted on display set ups, or something along those lines, rather than collection quality.

ron
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
Messages
2,198
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by southside201:
Ron

Somebody started a similar thread a while back and a SW special that was on TV before Ep. I was brought up. Gus and Pam are on the special and a collector by the name of Lauren Bock was brought up. I have this special on tape and have seen the video. His collection may not be Sansweets but it has to rank up there. Are there any pics of his collection posted anywhere? Is he just a guy who collects and stays ot of the scene? I saw him on that special but that is all I have ever heard about him.

John

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


I've been to Lauren's place in the past. He definitely has a lot of stuff. But I know a lot of people who have similarly sized collections. The thing with Lauren is that he has everything sprawled over the entire first floor of his house. So the impact of seeing all that stuff out like that is pretty major.

I think he's pretty active in the Seattle collector community, but I don't see him around the 'net much.

ron
 
G

Guest

offense, but I really think people should avoid getting into comparing collections to so great an extent. Everyone collects what he or she wants, and it's not really supposed to be a competition. I couldn't even imagine trying to come up with a list of the top 50 collections.

Sharing photos of collections is certainly a lot of fun, though. And your idea of voting is interesting. But I'd personally like it more if people voted on display set ups, or something along those lines, rather than collection quality.

ron
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah I like the idea of ranking display quality myself, like you could subtract 1 point for having your feet in the collection photo
Maybe we can send them all to AFA to score.
 
G

Guest

RON-I know Lauren Bock very well, and is a cvery close friend of his, he helped me get some stuff over my collecting months and he is a greta guy. His collection is HUGE, he have life-size everyone of them that was made) figure and everything, he's more interested in c-9 carded and nice production stuff so it's cool, he's into production while other might goes for other stuff, nevetrtheless, the first time I saw it I thought I was in StarWars paradise
 
Joined
Oct 12, 2000
Messages
3,384
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhoenixCollector:
I tend to think that Sansweet has the biggest. I've seen pics<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ronsalvatore:
I'm sure Joiner's is large too, though<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oo-er...


------------------
Dan Whiteley (UK)
Dannydubs@go.com

[This message has been edited by dead maul (edited 08-03-2001).]
 
Joined
May 15, 2001
Messages
242
Reaction score
0
Ive heard though that joiner's collection is made up of many copies and duplicates.A friend of he's told me that he bought loads of gear direct from Kenner and hasbro even though it was the same figure and toy many times over,just so Guiness could log him as having the largest collection of Starwars items.But this is quite well known in Britain by many people.I think Sansweets collection stands out more due to Quality,and not quantity. Vlix
 
G

Guest

LOL @ Maul...Guess it was only a matter of time before someone made THAT joke!
)
Yeah, I think collection of the month or collection of the year is an awesome idea as it will give us regular collectors a chance to see stuff that we will probably never have the chance to own.
Of course these things shouldn't be a competition and that should be stressed as it's unfair to judge people who sweated blood trying to complete a loose vintage set as some how "less than" super-collectors like Steve, Jason etc.
At the end of the day, the only reason they got so large and complete a collection is because they started way before most of us and got key pieces for pennies.
No ordinary collector with an average income could ever hope to have a collection to rival those guys in terms of range and completeness.
One question that I suddenly thought of, is Steve collecting all the POTF2, E1 and POTJ stuff too?

jimmyshoes

[This message has been edited by jimmyshoes (edited 08-03-2001).]
 
Joined
May 1, 2001
Messages
2,206
Reaction score
0
Well, the collector with the largest collection, must also have the largest number of fake props as well, so it would have to go to Joiner


Bill
 
Joined
May 31, 2000
Messages
3,882
Reaction score
0
I know Sansweet and those other guys y'all are talking about have a larger collection, but mine is better because it's mine. I don't get to enjoy their collections, only mine. That's what's important.

Size matters not.
 
Joined
Jul 20, 2001
Messages
2,291
Reaction score
0
I think whoever owns the forest where the Endor scenes were shot possibly has the largest collection


Doesn't that count as an original film prop?
 
G

Guest

You know what they say about guys who reckon "it's not the size that counts"!!!!!!

And it isn't cause they have a large one!!!!!

Collection that is ;-)
 
G

Guest

Good one Cake!

Not that I want to lower myself to unfounded *****yness, but what makes you think all Jason's props are fake Sithtoys?

jimmyshoes
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
Messages
2,198
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GuardiaDelEmporador:
RON-I know Lauren Bock very well, and is a cvery close friend of his, he helped me get some stuff over my collecting months and he is a greta guy. His collection is HUGE, he have life-size everyone of them that was made) figure and everything, he's more interested in c-9 carded and nice production stuff so it's cool, he's into production while other might goes for other stuff, nevetrtheless, the first time I saw it I thought I was in StarWars paradise<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I know he has a terrific collection. It just didn't strike me as Sansweet-sized.

I kind of doubt there are any collectors in the States who can match Duncan Jenkins and Sansweet at this point. There used to be other guys, such as Ray Rutyna, who had really large hordes of stuff, but most of them sold out awhile back.

ron
 
Joined
May 1, 2001
Messages
2,206
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimmyshoes:
Good one Cake!

Not that I want to lower myself to unfounded *****yness, but what makes you think all Jason's props are fake Sithtoys?

jimmyshoes
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say that "all" of his props are fake, but if you ask around, you will see that Joiner has (putting it mildly) been connected to quite a few fake movie props in the past (supposedly). I just completed a deal on an original Vader prop, and everyone I spoke with, from the seller, to the major auction house who authenticated it, had nothing nice to say about him.(The item did NOT come from him) I could also point you in the direction of quite a few dealers here in the US who won't even look at his "props"

Bill


[This message has been edited by sithtoys (edited 08-03-2001).]
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
Messages
2,198
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sithtoys:
I didn't say that "all" of his props are fake, but if you ask around, you will see that Joiner has (putting it mildly) been connected to quite a few fake movie props in the past. I just completed a deal on an original Vader prop, and everyone I spoke with, from the seller, to the major auction house who authenticated it, had nothing nice to say about him.(The item did NOT come from him) I could also point you in the direction of quite a few dealers here in the US who won't even look at his "props"

Bill
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can confirm what Bill says: Joiner's reputation is not perfect amongst some collectors, especially when it comes to props.

I have had no dealings with him myself, so this is not an insight based on personal experience. Merely reporting what I've heard.

ron
 
Joined
Mar 6, 2001
Messages
1,856
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimmyshoes:
I was just wondering who you guys consider to have the biggest Star Wars collection in the world. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

George Lucas
 
G

Guest

Interesting point...does George Lucas have the largest Star Wars collection in the world? Probably in the areas of props, original artwork and paperwork. But does he have examples of all the toys and merchandise in the archive?
And about Jason, I've seen a few of his props and they looked fine to me! Can anyone actually come forward and say they were sold fake props by him?

jimmyshoes
 
Joined
Nov 5, 2000
Messages
2,427
Reaction score
0
Are there any sites to see some of these collections?Most of these names aren't even familiar to me.
 
Joined
May 1, 2001
Messages
2,206
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimmyshoes:
And about Jason, I've seen a few of his props and they looked fine to me! Can anyone actually come forward and say they were sold fake props by him?

jimmyshoes
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I know for a fact that Jason has made repro's of props before. (He told me himself) You can also check on ebay for some of his past auctions. (He has had quite a few problems there as well.) Or, better yet, I can give you several emails of people here in the US that got ripped off by him during a few prop transactions. If you are thinking about buying a prop from him, make sure that it is authenticated BEFORE you purchase it. (I would recommend either Christie's or Sotheby's.) Also, check around with some reputable prop dealers, and see what they have to say.

Bill
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
Messages
2,198
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bantha5:
Are there any sites to see some of these collections?Most of these names aren't even familiar to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can see some of Steve's props here:
http://www.toysrgus.com/images-props.html


There's a nice shot of his old collection room here:
http://www.toysrgus.com/lexicon/sansweet.html

He's since moved to a new home, at which he's building a museum of sorts.

What other names are you referring to? I don't know if Lauren has any photos on the web. I'm pretty sure that Duncan doesn't either. Joiner might, but I've never seen them if he does.

There's a nice tour of Gus' house on the Archive, which does a great job of showing off his collection (probably one of the larger and most well-rounded ones out there).

ron
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
Messages
2,198
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimmyshoes:
Interesting point...does George Lucas have the largest Star Wars collection in the world? Probably in the areas of props, original artwork and paperwork. But does he have examples of all the toys and merchandise in the archive?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The more interesting question might be, Does Lucasfilm's Archive qualify as a "collection"? Certainly, it's a "collection" of stuff, but, to me at least, the archive of a film company is a lot different from a privately held collection.

I'm sure LFL has a ton of stuff in storage. But I'm not sure if they keep an extensive archive of items their licensees produce. I assume they have a fair amount of this kind of thing, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

And about Jason, I've seen a few of his props and they looked fine to me! Can anyone actually come forward and say they were sold fake props by him?

jimmyshoes
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offense, but I've seen plenty of fanmade props, and most of them look fine to me. It's hard to say what's real and what isn't based on looks alone. Many of the legit props I've seen look totally cheesy.

As I said earlier, I have no definite info on Joiner's prop dealings, as I don't really pay much attention to prop items. All I can say is that I've heard on several occasions that fake props have come from him. Take it as you will.

I should also add that I in no way mean to imply that I've heard that *all* Joiner's props are bogus. I've never heard that the items in his personal collection are fake.
ron


[This message has been edited by ronsalvatore (edited 08-03-2001).]
 
G

Guest

I'm no prop expert, nor do I particularly collect them (not got the bux!!!) but I do find them fascinating. I am aware that generally speaking, fan made items can be identified because they are too good! Real props tend to be very rough and if used, probably chipped and broken!
Of course I can't comment on all of Jason's prop dealings but I do know that much of what he sells has impeccable provinence so I don't see why he would want to make repro props and try and pass them on as real!
Anyway, that's kinda getting off-topic, on the subject of liscensing samples sent to Lucasfilms, didn't all the principal actors get samples of merchandise? I remember Mark Hammill saying he had given them all to his kids! D'oh!

jimmyshoes
 
Joined
Mar 6, 2001
Messages
1,856
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ronsalvatore:
The more interesting question might be, Does Lucasfilm's Archive qualify as a "collection"? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mentioned Lucas tongue-in-cheek. While I think Lucas -- because he owns LFL, he owns the properties -- by sheer volume, has the largest collection of Star Wars-related items, I wouldn't group his archive in the same category as the fan-based collections.
 
Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
5,437
Reaction score
0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimmyshoes:

At the end of the day, the only reason they got so large and complete a collection is because they started way before most of us and got key pieces for pennies.
No ordinary collector with an average income could ever hope to have a collection to rival those guys in terms of range and completeness.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not really true. I think that most people fail to step back and realize that the toys are only a small fraction of what it takes to have a "complete" SW collection. Most of the items they kill themselves to find are things many collectors pass by even at low costs. Things most collectors don't even think about, let alone buy. Just flip through the Tomart book and start thinking about trying to find every belt buckle from the 1970's or every foreign variation of a paperback book, or every coloring book made worldwide for Episode I. It's quite a daunting task and many times there's relatively little competition which keeps the individual prices fairly low. It's the sheer quantity and effort that makes it a big deal.

Though I did have fun watching Duncan in action at the Mexican convention ( http://fan.starwars.com/TheEndorSystem/ ) last week in the dealer's room. And I gave him a healthy dose of teasing too. All in good humor, of course but what else can you do when a guy is raving about picking up a pink Amidala girl's backpack that he still needs to complete his set? :^)

That's why it's nuts on that level. The guy guy has 2 pocket-sized lists and a notebook that he carries aound and updates meticulously. He does make his own Rainman jokes so at least he acknowledges his own sickness. :^)

-chris
 
G

Guest

Yeah Chris, I get what you're saying and I totally understand that toys aren't the end all and be all of SW collecting. I myself collected quite a large horde of "peripheral" merchandise in my early days of re-collecting.
But you have to agree that the vast majority of items, and I'm not just talking toys here, were easier to obtain in 1977 - 1985 rather than now.
Therefore it follows that the earlier you made the decision to collect "everything" the easier it would have been to have a more complete collection.
That's taking it to the extreme I know, but even in the time span I have been collecting (since 1993) prices have shot up, collecting trends have changed and certain pieces have had so much publicity, hype and "holy grail" status heaped upon them as to make them unobtainable to the average collector.

jimmyshoes
 
Top