Vintage: What does the abbreviation DT mean?

Reaction score
With all the talk about the L-slot rocket Fett, I wonder if the DT Ben will be lost somewhat. It's even rarer than the L-slot Fett. Not the rocket, but the DT Ben is definitely rarer than the L-slot Fett figure. There are only about 15 authentic DT Bens, many of them are broken. But there are 25 to 30 L-slot rocket Fett figures. About 10 of them with authentic four sided rockets. So the DT Ben is at least as rare as the L-slot Fett. I would LOVE to get this myself, but just can't rationalize spending the thousands this figure is sure to get, when I'm getting married in less than a year. It wouldn't be fair. I'd still love to have it.
Sure looks real as best as I can tell from pics and not handling it in person. If it's not real, it's the best fake EVER, but I think it's authentic. Of course, my thoughts based on pictures, and a buck and a half will get you a cup of coffee.
Sure seems like the real deal though. Super nice figure to have. Oh for that winning lottery ticket right now. I'd gladly split with 50 people. I just want $5,000.00.

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: flarida ]

Reaction score
This just brought a question to my mind. How many loose DT Vaders are known to exist out there?

Cj

Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance but what does the abbreviation DT stand for. I know it refers to the early telescoping sabers but why DT??

That is all

------------------
"Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold"

G

I do believe its authentic, I believe this is the same guy that posted on the SW Archive asking for advice on getting a certificate of authenticity, anyway I've seen him around. To bad Rocketfett, it be great if you could complete your DT set, but I got a feeling that this figures is still going to reach at the least $2000+ and at the most $3000+ maybe even more. Thats a lot for a little piece of plastic, if I had it I'd go for it, maybe.

G

Id say this figure closes at a disappointing 1500 dollars. Of all the talk, not one person says they are actually bidding and Im one of em. Wouldnt mind having it but dont have th emoney right now. If I had an authentic DT Vader I would seriosuly consider going into some paypal Visa debt on this thing.

Chris

Reaction score
Cfawcett, best as I've been able to come up with, there are about 15 to 20 authentic DT Vader sabers. That comes mostly from Tom Derby since he's seen most of the authentic ones over the years and knows who has them, and the others that are known of. That's not counting the three that are carded still. There are about 10 to 15 DT Bens, and the two carded. That's the best estimate I've been able to come up with. I have a friend that has a DT Vader, and know where three others are, but past that, I don't know positively. Given how rarely they come up for sale, those numbers seem to be pretty accurate. It's pretty much the same people who already own them who buy and sell them. Not different sellers all the time. So the number must be pretty low.

Thermal, DT is Double Telescoping. I just got so used to typing that, I forget that fewer collectors know what it stands for than don't. It's a great variant.

Megalodonfett, I wish I could get it too. It would be SOOOO great to complete my DT figure set. But I can't complain. I was blessed to be able to get the DT Vader and rocket Fett. I wanted them most of all really. I'd still like to have that DT Ben though.
I tend to think it will sell for over $3,000.00 also, assuming people aren't scared and think it's a fake. My rocket Fett I got in the Toy Shop auction three years ago went for half what it really should have, because a lot of people were sure it was fake. They didn't bother to check the history and didn't realize who all had authenticated it. If they had known that Gus Lopez, Tom Tumbush, Chris Georgoulias, Ron Salvatore, John Wooten, and others had checked it and the other four it was found with, and said it was authentic, more people would have bid. Fear of fakes really keeps the bidding down and helps people get authentic pieces. But it also skews their true value. Just because a authentic C-9+ DT Ben is really worth more than $3,000.00 now a days, doesn't necessarilly mean it will sell for that much. It all depends on who sells it, and how well they can prove it's authenticity. The Pope would be more widely believed to have found the REAL Holy Grail, than some gypsy on the streets of Venice.
We'll see. Even if I can't get the DT Ben, and don't want the L-slot Fett, it will be fun to see what they end at.

Cstoj, you think it will close that low? Maybe. Depends on how many people are afraid it is fake. I think it's real. It sure looks to be real from the pic. But pics aren't follproof.
Since I have an authentic DT Vader, can I go into some serious Pay-Pal Visa debt with your Visa.
Heh, heh, heh.

If anyone feels like buying the DT Ben so I can buy it from you after I'm married and settled, just give me a holler.

------------------
Please visit my homepage at http://freeweb.pdq.net/nighthawk/starwars.htm Thanks.

Reaction score
Allen, CJ, somebody...
Maybe I am blind but I can't find it. Can someone post the link? I remember a guy asking around the Archive a few weeks back and I would like to check it out.

Thanx guys
John

------------------
check out my ME page http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/fett-hunter Always looking for *ANY* Biker Scouts (See my want list)

Reaction score
>There are about 10 to 15 DT Bens, and the two carded.<

Several months ago, Lisa and I were offered a loose one by a guy who had two. Unfortunately, when he was photographing them for us, he had set them up with the sabers out, and his dog bumped the table they were standing on. Both figures fell, and both sabers broke. He sent us the pictures anyway, and it just made us want to cry.

Anyway, there's two less than there were a year ago.

-Vic.

G

I had one of the double telescoping Darth Vaders when I was a kid. My sister bought it for me one night at Gold Circle with a regular lightsaber Ben Kenobi. I knew at that time that I had something special. I traded it to another Cincinnati SW collector sometime around 1993-94 so I'm sure he still has it. I knew it was rare at the time but I had no idea how big a deal it was. Oh well, I enjoyed it as a kid.

Reaction score
IndigovicThat is TERRIBLE!!! Do you think they were both authentic DT Ben sabers? Where in the world did he get two? They're SUPER rare really. I was told by Kathy Murer at The Earth a few years ago, that Daren Murer had a DT Vader, and when he was removing the saber from the arm, the shaft broke clean in half!!! They were worth much less then, but I still bet that bugs the crap out of him. It sure would me! He got another to replace it, but I wonder whatever happened to the one he started with. So many of the red and blue ones were broken or lost over the years. The past three years I alone have talked to about six different people who had a DT Ben or Vader growing up, and they were either lost or broken. VERY sad. There would MAYBE be about 200 or more of each if the overwhelming majority of them weren't lost or broken. I guess all things conisdered, that they are kids toys, very small, and increasingly fragile over the years, makes it even more miraculous that 10 to 20 each of them are still around today. Even some of those are damaged I believe. There might be upwards of 30 each, but who knows. There have to be some collectors who have them and have had them since they were a kid, and they just don't make it public on the net. Who knows. It's just one of the things that make vintage collecting so mysterious and great.

GT-Do you think you'll ever try to get it back? It was yours as a kid. Have you tried to find the guy you sold it to? I'd track him down and really play the violins.
Maybe he'd sell it back. Even if you had to pay a lot, you'd have yours back.

I just hope that someone from the forums buys it so I can keep track of it and harass them every month or so to sell it to me some day.
Heh, heh, heh.

------------------
Please visit my homepage at http://freeweb.pdq.net/nighthawk/starwars.htm Thanks.

G

Is there any main difference to these other than the sabre & cape, I mean they are the same height & colour as the regular obi-wan ?

Reaction score
redav_htrad, as far as I know even the cloaks are the same. I've never seen or heard anyone say that the capes that came with the DT Bens and Vaders are different than the ones that came with the Bens and Vaders with the normal single telescoping sabers. The figures are identical also. My DT Vader is just like mine from when I was a kid, and the cape is identical too. And I got it from Tom Derby, and he first got it 7 years ago when there were no fakes, so I know it's real. The only difference I know of is the actual saber. The DT Bens came with the white haired ones though. The first Ben's to be released. The BHC forums should take up a collection and buy it as a whole, and then Bananna punk could hold it til just one person decides to buy the others out. That would be interresting.
Heh, heh.

------------------

Reaction score
There were some oddball capes floating around too, but I think those are all definetely prototype pieces, as opposed to the ones that were shipped to stores. The store ones had regular capes. So, I would say that probably all the weird caped ones have DT sabers, but not vise versa.

Cj

Reaction score
Cj you mean like the DT sabers with the mushroom tips and the hand painted figures? Ones like that? I didn't realize the capes were different. But the DT Ben and Vader sabers that came out in stores on the card have the regular capes right? All the DT Ben and Vaders I've seen had the regular capes. Other than I guess the DT sabers with the mushroom tips and the hand painted ones. Didn't realize the capes were different as well. Glad you mentioned that. Always learning something new about these figures.

------------------

Reaction score
>IndigovicThat is TERRIBLE!!! Do you think they were both authentic DT Ben sabers?<

I really do. It was a reputable source.

-Vic.

G

RocketFett,

The funny thing is that I traded my red double telescoping lightsaber to Daren Murrer. He and I both live in Cincinnati and he and Kathy are great people. I have no idea if mine was the one that broke or the one that replaced it. He traded me a bunch of loose figures that I needed at the time so it was a fair deal for both of us. Though I have no desire to spend that kind of money for an extra inch of plastic, I suppose I could always visit it. :)

G

What's up, I am the guy selling my DT Ben on eBay right now. Any ????? Let me know. If you don't want me here, tell me to goto Heck.
Thanks.

Mike (arvid72)

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darklighter72:
What's up, I am the guy selling my DT Ben on eBay right now. Any ????? Let me know. If you don't want me here, tell me to goto Heck.
Thanks.

Mike (arvid72)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did the hostility come from? Why would we not want you here?

------------------
Dan W. Flarida
Forum Moderator:
Vintage, Props and Other Collectibles
flarida@collectstarwars.com

www.KennerToys.com

Reaction score
RF: I'm not necessarily saying that the mushroom tip/handpainted ones had those capes, but I suspect that they did.

All I know for sure is I've seen oddball Ben and Vader capes and the ones I've seen with figures were DT figures. I recall though that they were all regular production painted, not hand-painted. The Ben I know for sure was machine-painted - Flarida owns that one still - but the saber tip was broken so I don't know if it was a shroom tip or not.

I don't recall on the other's I've seen.

Cj

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RocketFett:
Cj you mean like the DT sabers with the mushroom tips and the hand painted figures? Ones like that? I didn't realize the capes were different. But the DT Ben and Vader sabers that came out in stores on the card have the regular capes right? All the DT Ben and Vaders I've seen had the regular capes. Other than I guess the DT sabers with the mushroom tips and the hand painted ones. Didn't realize the capes were different as well. Glad you mentioned that. Always learning something new about these figures.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is getting confusing :^).

Yes, most of the DT Bens and Vaders out there are going to have regular capes, because they were purchased in stores. Cj is referring to prototypes, meaning they were never sold at retail. These might have non-production capes because...well, because they're prototypes. Of course, these early figures are going to have the DT sabers because that's what the earliest figures came with.

ron

Reaction score
Indigovic, for the sake of the collecting community, and my stomach, I hope the two you saw were fake. It makes me a little queesy just thinking about two authentic DT Ben sabers being broken at the same time by a fall to the floor. That really really and truly sucks. Let's just agree that they were good fakes. Then we can all feel better inside.

GT-, small world! That is so ironic! Kathy told me that story about three or four years ago I guess. I hope the one you hat that he bought is the replacement and NOT the one that broke. I don't even take my DT Vader saber out or touch it just in case. I've taken it out three or four times in the past three years and that was just to take good digi pics or scans. I am scared to death of sneezing or looking at it funny and it breaking. I would get sick right there if that happened. Good grief.
Do you think you'll ever call and ask Daren which one broke? I bet he must have just about gone nuts when that happened.
Maybe you'll buy it back from him someday. It's such a cool piece. I would hope he'd give you first shot if he ever sells it.

Darklighter72, with a cool piece like that DT Ben, I don't think anyone will tell you to go to heck. However, I DO think that everyone would LOVE to hear some memories and stories you remember about playing with your DT Ben as a child. That's something that a VERY VERY few collectors will ever have. It's easier to get the DT sabers than the memories of playing with them as a kid. Feel free to wax nostalgic about it.

flarida, so you bought the hand painted DT Ben and Vader with the mushroom tips. That's so awesome. I remember seeing the auction a couple years ago, if it was the same ones. What are they like? Have any pics on the net of them? VERY cool figures.

cfawcett, thanks for the info. The history of these is so interresting. How many of the mushroom tip sabers are there? I think I recall hearing only two or three each, if that. Are all the known ones with hand painted figures? They're such incredible prototypes. I hope they're preserved really well. I wonder if Lucas has any of them tucked away somewhere. Surely he got samples of every figure for his approval before production right? Or did it not work that way. I hope he did. That way there is a complete set of production samples stashed somewhere.

ronsalvatore, what you said sure makes sense. Since the DT sabers were the very first ones, and the mushroom tips were so early they never saw production or cards/bubbles, it makes sense that the mushroom tip DT sabers would only be with hand painted figures, and possible with prototype or hand cut capes. And it makes sense that definitely the prototype or hand made capes and probably the hand painted figures would have the mushroom tip DT sabers. It's all so interresting. Hope they're all in good homes and preserved. It's sad to think that their numbers are still decreasing today with accidental breaks.
That's very sad conisdering how few of them there are already.

------------------

Reaction score
No, Dan only has the Ben, not the Darth. And like I said - no idea if it was a mushroom tip because the saber is broken and the tip is not there.

Cj

Reaction score
Cj It's such a shame the tip is broken off.
I wonder if it had the mushrooom tip. SO without that, it looks like a regular DT saber, which isn't anything to sneeze at by any stretch. I wonder who it was that got the hand painted DT Ben and Vader from a couple years ago with the mushroom tips. I think Tom Derby auctioned them but I can't remember for sure. Those are a couple really awesome prototype pieces! Maybe one or two of a kind I think.

Anyone think this DT Ben on ebay isn't authentic? I've looked at all those pictures a bunch of times, and compared them to my figures, and well. It makes my mouth water. Anyone have any opposing thoughts? Just wondering. This has been a fun thread for me.

------------------

G

This was one of the first figures I got. My mom reminded me of the time I lost my DT Ben, and I wanted to bring him with to a B-Day party I was going to, but could not find him. I guess I cried when I discovered he was missing.
A few weeks later my mom came home with a replacement Ben, and I guess I was a little upset because he had a different lightsaber than I was used to. A couple of years went by and I found my DT Ben, in a box stuffed in the back of my closet.
By this time I had gotten 2 more Ben figures, that I played with. I put my favorite Ben away after I found him into one of my SW Cases. There he sat for several years until I got started BMX racing and Freestyle riding, which effectivly ended my SW playing. When I was in my teens, I packed up all of my old SW toys that I did not destroy or did not get thrown away by Mom, and I put them in a bunch of boxes and put them into storage in my closet. Maybe someone should start a thread of memories. I am sure we all have some great stories, I know I have a lot of fond memories playing with these great toys growing up!

I hope my DT Ben goes into a Great collection where he is appreciated.

Mike (arvid72)

Oh, and thanks for welcoming me to the forum! I wasnt sure if it was frowned upon, if a seller of an item wanted to talk about his own figure.

[This message has been edited by Darklighter72 (edited 07-11-2001).]

G

Darklighter72 what interests me so much is the fact that you had him since you were a kid, thats really interesting. Whats amazing is that from what I can tell from the pictues its in nearly perfect condition. During the time you lost it, its quite a remarkable miracle that the saber is still intact, I only have the Luke and it scares me to death that I will break it. I have only 3 times and I mean literally 3 times ever fully extended it for fear of breaking.

Great story, I hope to you will continue posting here in the future. As others said, your more then welcome here. You got to remember you've got yourself whats considered a legendary celebrity in these neck of the woods, up for auction. People will discuss, some will speculate, others will argue why so much, and the rest of us like me are just standing around up to our ankles in drool wishing we could afford.

G

Hey darklighter, the moderators here are really hesitant to allow eBay links from even the regulars, unless it's something exceptional, because they don't want the forums to turn into the Home Shopping Network. However, you're not a regular (that I'm aware of, tho I hope you become one) and your piece certainly qualifies as exceptional, so my advice to you is, "Fear not."

Reaction score
I want that figure!!!
I put in a few bids early on to test the water and have set myself a personal limit. It looks from today's developments that it is going to be easily surpassed though

G

I had the Keneivel figure/doll with motorcycle, you know the one you put in a device and crank the wheels and then let go.

G

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Sebulba:
Hey darklighter, the moderators here are really hesitant to allow eBay links from even the regulars, unless it's something exceptional, because they don't want the forums to turn into the Home Shopping Network. However, you're not a regular (that I'm aware of, tho I hope you become one) and your piece certainly qualifies as exceptional, so my advice to you is, "Fear not."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind.

megalodonfett:

The Ben stayed in such great shape because of me losing him for a while, then not playing with him because of the other Bens I had. I have pulled out the saber a number of times, it is quite cool!!! I wish I had gotten DT Luke and Vader back then too. That would have been extrodanary! Playing with these toy's was the highlight of my childhood. Plus riding my Evil Keneivel 3-wheeled chopper around the driveway! (anyone else remember these?). I know, wrong thread for this, but it just popped in my head.

Also, this is not the first time the thought of selling my DT Ben has come about. The past few years I have thought about it several times. But, it seems, it is time to part ways with him (and pay some bills).

Thanks everyone for taking an interest in my auction!

Mike (arvid72)

G

If anyone cannot see the pics in my auction e-mail me at arvid72@kobweb.net or darklighter72@attglobal.net, and I will e-mail them to you. There are a couple servers in the San Diego and L.A. area that have been up and down the past week creating headaches across the web. If you Can see them please let me know that too. I have not been able to see them myself for over 48 hours, and it's driving me crazy!! Those servers are in my route when accessing my pic server from here.

Thanks, Mike

Reaction score
Well I gave it a shot. I wouldn't have even tried but Megan really wanted me to so I gave it a shot. I probably would have ended up selling it in a year when the cash was needed next summer, so I hope Ron keeps it permanently and isn't going to just re-sell it for more. It will be great in his collection.
Shoot. That's less pressure on me for cash the next year.

------------------

Ty

Reaction score
Sorry RocketFett! Ya know I was rootin for ya man!

Oh well, you've got so many other great pieces in your collection.. maybe you can get one in the future somehow.. there are a few around afterall!