Vintage: What are some of the rarer Tri-logo carded figures?

Reaction score
Ya got lucky on that Luke Hoth...if my alarm clock had gone off you would have had a little more competition on it...

Id call it one of the rarest Tri Logos; typically the rarest is Madine, then Jawa, Cloud Car Pilot, Luke Hoth. Id put it on the same rarity level as the Cloud Car Pilot and Jawa-they just dont seem to turn up too often. $65 is a really good price-I got mine for $120 and I thought it was a steal at the time. Id say its worth around $175-$250 in C-8.5/9 condition, maybe $300 for a C-9.5...for some reason it does not get the same price and attention as the rare Tris...

Some of Brian's toys buying prices are a little wacked out...They were paying $300 for a C-9+ Luke Hoth, I seriously thought about selling mine but their offering was 20-30% less because of C-9 condition. I think their buying prices of $300 for the Luke Hoth, $750 for the Jawa, $750 for the Cloud Car Pilot, $300 Bespin guard, $500 Yoda orange Snake etc. are really high; Im really surprised how high the prices are but at the same time I dont think they'd be able to find too many C-9+ examples of these figures.

------------------
"Big Red-" Vintage Collector...check my site out (coming soon) www.redsstarwars.com

G

BigRed =)
LOL, I shoudl thank your alarm clock. JK Thanks for not bidding on it, It's my faorite piece, I have all the Luke Hoth cardedfigures but was missing that piece. I really like the card. I know it was quite HTF but I dind't think it was that rare. You have quite and impressive collection of trilogos =) I'll never own any of those things. Thanks for the info, isnt you the guy that have the German Snowtrooper on trilogo card?

Reaction score
I often wonder about those Brians Toys buy prices myself. But I rationalize them 2 ways:
1) as already noted in the last few posts, the prices are for C9+, which is tough on trilogos
2) brians toys has been in business for awhile and is pretty large right now. most of the business's growth is undoubtedly from new SW, but I'm sure that they are making solid decisions with their vintage buys, i.e. if they advertise a buy for 300$, then they almost definitely have someone to sell it to for 600$, or at least they have alot of people asking about it
The Luke hoth is a good example, especially b/c it's a rare trilogo main character

Regards,
Adam

Reaction score
My arena is definately not TriLogos. I am contemplating trying to start them up once I finish my POTF carded collection though. Does anyone know the "rarity" level of a carded Tri-Logo Fett(not the Palitoy version)?

------------------
Vintage Forum Moderator
Pellaeon@collectstarwars.com

Reaction score
Pallaeon-

The Tri Logo Boba is one of the harder Tris to track down, I would rank him in the top ten rarest Tri Logos. An important thing to remember is that the carded version can be found with both the Regular and Tri Logo figures in about equal numbers (I have seen one or two more Tri Logo figures though)If you decide to go for a Tri Logo set it will be a lot tougher than a POTF set; you're looking at around 85 figures with a few specific characters turning up once every few months.

On the Boba-
One ended on ebay almost a week ago at $525...the pic wasnt too good but its the first Ive seen for sale in quite some time. I've seen around eight for sale here and there. I got lucky with mine and traded a few Furby's for it back when they were hot...It sure did make my Christmas...

------------------
"Big Red-" Vintage Collector...check my site out (coming soon) www.redsstarwars.com

G

Well, what is really rare on trilogo though, I knwo there are some I havn't even seen, in my opinion, these are the rare ones
Trilogo

Luke Hoth
Jawa
Madine
Cloud Card Pilot
Bespin Guard
Boba Fett
Royal Guard
Orange Snake Yoda
Yak Face with staff

G

Hey guys,
I think you might be able to help me out on this. I dont know a lot about trilogo figures but I do love the Trilogo Luke Hoth that I just picked up for $65. How rare is this figure anyway? I knwo it's cant be like Madine on trilogo =) but it's not very common to come accross. BriansToys have one for like $450 but I dont really trust their prices. If anyone can help, let me know. Thanks =)

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: flarida ]

Reaction score
I think you got a good deal. I'm not sure how rare it is, but I do know this: It was one of the figures I had the hardest time finding a picture of for 12back. No one seemed to have one.

Cj

Reaction score
wasnt the star destroyer commander released on a trilogo? I heard that there are only a few of them around - possibly salesman samples?

------------------
"No Dougal; the only rabbit in here is the one inside your head - operating the controls!"

Reaction score
Yak Face with a staff on trilogo card - Can anyone confirm that? I've heard of Yak Face packaged with a small blaster, but never a staff.

regards,
adam

G

At the risk of sounding like the kind of collector that swears they had "ALL" the figures and "ALL" the ships as a kid when really what they had was 12 figures (3 of them Weequay) 4 mini-rigs and a rebel transport, I am SURE the Yak I got in 1985 had the staff. The reason I say that is ever since I can remember, I have always associated that particular staff as Yak's weapon even though it was never confirmed to me until I bought my first collecting guide in 1993.
I know this isn't exactly conclusive proof but I am confident that one day a Trilogo Yak will turn up with the staff.

jimmyshoes

Reaction score
What about all the Trilogo-back cards? Tey rank prtty high up on the rarity list don't they? How many are there? I know Hammerhead, Cloud Car Pilot, Greedo and Bespin Guard (both versions).

Cj

Reaction score
Thanks Big Red..that was me on that auction for the Fett! I am not sure if I really want to complete a TriLogo collection. I pretty much want to get all the variations for the trilogo, ex: Fett different paint job, AT-ST different picture, etc. I know it will be an extremely difficult task putting together the set espescially after having to take out a loan to get the POTF Anakin...I still have Anakin and Yoda to go( currently paying of a Nikto).

------------------
Vintage Forum Moderator
Pellaeon@collectstarwars.com

Reaction score
I also gave that Fett on ebay a good look. The seller was very good at relying to my email and sending additional pics. That Fett does not turn up very often in nice condition.
By the way, I remember AFN had a feature on trilogos a few years ago - I think it was issue #53

Regards,
Adam

Reaction score
Hey Adam,

She sent me the additional photos as well but I could not open them. How badly was the bubble dented?

Reaction score
Chris-
On the Tri Logo backer cards there's Greedo, Hammerhead, Cloud Car Pilot, Snaggletooth and the Bespin Guards. I think the reason they're uncommon to find is because people really dont consider them Tri Logos and most are sold as normal Jedi cards. The Greedo, Hammerhead and Bespin Guards are uncommon to begin with, but this leads a lot of people to think they're rare. In the last month theres been a few Snaggletooths, two Greedos, a Black Bespin Guard and a Hammerhead on ebay. The Cloud Car Pilot is rare though, I've only seen two for sale in a few years of collecting.

I've heard of a few Yaks out there with the Luke Poncho/Lando General blaster and other random weapons. I heard something about one with a staff but have not seen it...For now Id say it doesnt exist, they were all opened or MIA...but its possible.

A few figures have yet to turn up on any sort of Tri Logo card-The Star Destroyer Commander, Power Droid, 4-LOM and Walrusman. Ive heard rumors of Salesman samples with the appropriate figures and cards for years but have seen no proof of them. Its possible though. A few Star Destroyer Commanders have turned up on AT-ST Driver cards and command a premium.

Guardia-Your list of the rarest Tris is pretty good. Mine looks the same too. I wouldnt include the Bespin Guards or Yak on it. The Orange Snake Yoda is rare too but most people consider it a variation. Mine looks like this-
Madine
Jawa
Cloud Car Pilot
Luke Hoth
Emperor's Royal Guard
Leia Original
Boba Fett
Luke Tatooine
IG-88
Death Star Droid
Stormtrooper

Id rank Barada, Leia Hoth and the Tie Fighter Pilot near the top.

Nien Nunb and Luke Bespin used to rank very highly but a few have come out of the woodwork. I sold a few Nien Nunbs a few years back for $300 each...much more than they go for now. Luke Bespin also used to sell for close to $250, its not quite abit less...

[This message has been edited by BigRed (edited 07-31-2001).]

G

BigRed-were you the guy that owned that Rare German Yps Hothtrooper on the trilogo card?

Reaction score
BigRed, that's very interesting that you included a Stormtrooper on your list. Do you mean in any condition? I can't find one.
Also, I have seen the Leia original more often than the Leia Hoth.
I agree with the IG88 and DS droid on that list, especially in nice condition.

Regards,
Adam

Reaction score
Yeah, thats me with the YPS/German Snowtrooper on a Tri Logo card. I got him in a big lot of carded figures and was selling it becuase I had a pretty nice one already. When I was taking the pictures to sell the item I noticed it had the paint and plastic details like the loose version I had. After I noticed the cape differences I decided to keep it...Dont know when Ill find one of those again...

Reaction score
Adam-

I'd put the Leia Hoth, Luke Tatooine, Barada, TIE Pilot, IG-88, Stormie and DS Droid at the same rarity level. They come up for sale every once and a while but if you called up a few dealers one of them is sure to have one in stock (who knows on the price though...) Id say the Leia Original is a bit rarer than the Leia Hoth; the big dealers seem to have a Leia Hoth for sale quite a bit (I guess it gets attention because of the photo) but the Leia Original seems to elude a few people, Its much rarer than the Jedi release Leia Original but sells for a fraction of the price-go figure...

G

BigRed-One more thing, you know on that trilogo Luke Hoth figure? Isn't it the ONLY carded Luke Hoth where you can actually see most of the Taun Taun's face. and is the photo different? It looks a little different I just dont know what-Thanks

Reaction score
Hello Pellaeon,

From what I remember, the card was great, the front of the bubble was pretty good (maybe 2 small dings), and the top of the bubble was dented in.
I don't have the pictures with me at work, but I can send them to you tonight. If you're interested, contact me at abulakowski@yahoo.com
I have been looking for a nice tri-Fett for years, and I think that 525 is very good on this one.

Regards,
Adam

Reaction score
My German Trooper has the normal blue rifle.

The photo on the Luke Hoth is identical to the American release, because the bubble is in a different place compared to the American release you see a bit more of the left side which is the Taun Taun's face.

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, its taken me some time to find it! I collect tri logos as well & the luke hoth is one of the rarest although i have seen a couple turn up recently. I guess sometimes when one appears everyone else starts selling theirs. My guess for the tri logo rarity list would be something like this:

general madine
jawa
cloud car pilot
white bespin guard
emperors royal guard
luke hoth
black bespin guard
Ig-88
leia original
leia hoth
nien nunb
boba fett
luke bespin
death star droid

I think there are also a few underated ones like leia poncho, rebel soldier, tie fighter pilot & logray

I think the problem with some figures (like boba fett) is that they can be found but are at high prices, whereas finding any of the top 3 or 4 is tough fullstop.

BigRed- when you mention luke tatooine, do you mean with the tatooine or gunner station background as i have never heard of one with the tatooine background, & i agree with you on the original leia being rarer than the hoth version, i guess people are so preoccupied with the rotj version they completely firget about the trilogo version!

Reaction score
BTW< all you trilogo collectors. I'm looking for some better pics for my page (12back.com). If anyone would be interested in some scanning or picture taking, LMK.

Cj

Reaction score
I mean the Gunner Station one...I just hate calling Luke for no use of a better name Luke Original...

There are a few honorable mentions that are pretty uncommon to track down. The Leia Poncho and Rebel Soldier you mentioned, Zuckuss and the Tusken Raider dont turn up too frequently. A nice Amanaman without the really beat up bubble is tough too, a few were released with what looks like a specially made bubble with a spot for the staff and made out of a thicker plastic.

Cj-Any specific pics you need? I finally got some nice close ups of a Luke Hoth...

G

BigRed, I know I'm being kinda anoying here asking you all these questions =) but what about Han Hoth, I dont see many of those either---

Reaction score
Dont worry bout it, I actually kinda like all the attention to Tri Logos.

The Han Hoth's uncommon, its not the easiest figure to find but its not the hardest. They come up pretty regularly on ebay and most dealers have them.

Ive been formulating a Tri logo grading scale that goes like this-
Common-Very Easy figures (AT-ST Driver,
Uncommon-(Han Hoth for example, a few Jedi release figures...)
Difficult-(Stormie, TIE Pilot, Leia Hoth, etc...)
Rare-(Emperor's Guard, Luke Hoth, Leia Original, etc.)
Very Rare-(Madine, Jawa, Cloud Car Pilot)

G

BigRed-Thanks for explaining it to me. After I read your list it was suprisiing to me that I have never saw any of those rare or very rare trilogos offered for sale (besides the luke hoth but the guy didn't know what he had and mis advertise it)My only source is ebay because I dont have so much money to buy from dealers. I have never seen the Rare Emperor's Guard, Jawa, Cloud Car Pilot (can you give us some pics of yours? =) I did see the Madine (I think it's the same one that didn't met the reserve) several times on ebay, I saw the Leia Originsl last week which I would have love to bid on at $125 but no money, I think $125 is a pretty good price for it. The trilogo that I wanted most besides the Luke Hoth was the Jawa but I have never seen one offer for sale, I really want to track one down, ya know of any for sale/trade bigred?

G

Chakaman-Thanks, yeah, I love the Luke Hoth a lot, it be nice in my collection, I'm sorry that you were out of town, thanks for giving me the chance. I have been looking for the Jawa for awhile now. It's my favorite, I just cant find anyone that would want to trade/sell on! Let me know if ya got one or know someone who does alright? =)

jimmyshoes-
I dont think it's hilarious! When I started collecting was in 2000! I like TRILOGOs very much and interested in them because they're neat and have some awesome pics and stuff, I actually WANTS everyone to NOT gave a damn about Tri-logos! so that I can buy them all for cheap. The "rare" figures that have been spoken about in this thread is only rare and valuable to people who cares! Yo let most of em go because I thought they looked cheap and tacky compared to the Kenner/Palitoy (single logo) versions????? That's just your opinion, I think they looks great and displays quite nices, somethign different for a change.

"It just seems to be that in the last few years, American collectors have taken an interest in them and discovered that some really are worth bothering about"

Number one, I'm not American =) Just happen to settle in the US.
Number two-what do you mean by saying , American collectors have taken an interest in them and discovered that some really are worth bothering about!? R you saying we're wasting our time on these figures that you think are worthless? Well, if that's what you mean and you dont care about trilogos then please stop posting on this thread
-Guardia-

[This message has been edited by GuardiaDelEmporador (edited 08-02-2001).]

Reaction score
Chakaman - I was in town and I check ebay every week for "trilogo" and "tri logo" and various other titles. The Luke Hoth that Phong picked up had the title of "French Luke in Hoth" or something to that effect so I never found it during the auction. Well, at least it went to a collector on the forum.

Jimmyshoes- I too remember when trilogos were shunned by *most* of the collecting community. It was only a few years ago that interest started to increase. Trilogos have always been one of my favorites b/c:
1) unique photo and figure/weapon variations
2) a challenge to find in nice shape
3) more affordable than Kenners or Palitoys.
Of course, increased interest is changing #3 on some figures

------------------
Regards,
Adam

Reaction score
Adam-if that was the case, I doubt I would have spotted it. I may have to just start searching by character names from now on. No wonder it only went for 65. I am glad someone here was able to pick it up.

Guardia-I have only seen one Tri-logo Jawa on ebay in like 2 years. I got mine from a a collector friend of mine and not on ebay, same with my Royal Guard. If I run across one, Ill post it here. Don't hold your breath though.

BigRed- I see you have quite a collection of TriLogos, do you know of anywhere else (sellers, websites) that offer tri-logos for sale? I figure, no pun intended, that you were the man to ask.

To add to my point earlier, what I meant was that just because some rare tri's show up on ebay, that doesnt mean they are going to start showing up. Example, if I listed some of my tris, would they be considered less rare? Does this make any sense you guys or not? Another thing to consider is condition. I mean if one were to find a C9.5 tri Jawa, to me that would be more valuable then a 21 back Fett. Ill bet there are more 21 back Fetts then C9.5 tri-logo Jawas. What do you guys think?

Chris
Chakaman

Reaction score
The 21bk Fett is tough, but between ebay, toyshop, and variuos dealers, i have seen many more fetts than tri jawas.
However, I don't think that alot of people really know about the scarcity of a few of the tris, whereas everyone knows boba fett.
This undoubtedly contributes to the appearance that the Jawa is more rare (less people (i.e. casual toy collectors) are willing to advertise a 1983 jawa, more people want the bucks for their a 1979 boba fett).

------------------
Regards,
Adam

Reaction score
Cool discussion. I've really enjoyed reading about the tris, since they're one of my favorites from the vintage line.

Anyhoo, I picked up the following in the last 3-4 months:

Leia Hoth $125
Luke Gunner $65
Nien Nunb $75

How would these prices rate on the "good deal" scale?

Reaction score
I keep pretty constant tabs on ebay, magazine advertisments, what Semling's offering, what Final Frontier is offering, etc. I looked over the lists when a few big Tri Logo collections came up for sale over the news groups too. I dont base all my info on ebay but a variety of sources.

With these rare figures its pretty easy to track them down (I have a pretty good idea who you got your ERG and Jawa from, they were advertised around for a while...) I've seen a few Jawas, two for sale from Final Frontier Toys, one in a NG post, another two on ebay (one from a seller in Singapore) and another from Rachfal a few years back auctioning it off (for a $400 or $500 starting, it ended just above that) I'm pretty sure the one you got came from Final Frontier Toys and two of those may have been the same so I've seen five or so plus or mins one in the last two years or so.

The thing about Madine is that this figure was believed to be unreleased for a while, I guess once news of its rarity spread a few came out of the woodwork and straight onto the Market (one find of a few of them at once) instead of like the other figures (Jawa, Fett, Cloud Car) that had settled in the Market and only rarely turn up. I've seen a few Madines (Most of them came from the same find and filtered through one dealer, another few on ebay were the same figure auctioned a few times, and another on ebay was from a seller in France...)

Its not only rarity but demand. A Vinyl Cape Jawa is worth a few grand and there are dozens out there. There are only a handful of Tri Logos but the price is a fraction. Price doesnt only depend on rarity but background information on the figure (A US 12 back release to a foreign item, a bit of lore following the VC Jawa/not much with the Tri Logo)The Jawa had eluded me for some time...A collector who I sold a few Tris too tried to impress me when he said he had found a few "rare" Jawas, when he said they were vinyl Capes he was surprised I acted so disappionted...

Ive had a lot of my luck with Tri Logos on eBay, the vintage NG, and with a few websites. Your best bet is ebay, almost every single rare figure has shown up there at some point or another at a pretty good price. www.intergalactictrading used to have some damn AWESOME Tri Logo pieces and deals. I got a few dozen CASE FRESH figures there for under $30 (Chewbacca, Obi Wan, Nien Nunb, Rebel Soldier, Zuckuss...) They raised a lot of their prices and their stock has been depleted. Semling gets a few pieces from time to time that are OK...Final Frontier used to have some rare pieces at high but decent prices. The vintage NG gets a few collectors every now and then selling their collections off. Just check toy shows and shops too...I got my Cloud Car Pilot from a misinformed dealer thinking it was a normal Jedi card...he was even having a sale the day I bought it...

If ya every track down a Jawa I can make it worth your time...

Reaction score
I know I am jumping in late on this topic, but I collect tri-logos myself and the Luke Hoth has been impossible for me to track down. I cannot believe the week I am out of town with no computer access, that a Tri Luke Hoth shows up, what luck!!

Nice score for 65 bucks.

I have a question, if a few of the rarer ones show up on ebay, why does that mean they are less rare? I mean I have seen more Trilogo Madines then I have seen Jawas. Im just saying that if some show up on ebay, I dont neccessarily think that makes them less rare. What do you guys think?

Chris
Chakaman

G

I find all this talk of Trilogo stuff quite hilarious! When I started collecting in 1993 no-one gave a damn about Tri-logos! I shudder to think how many of the "rare" figures that have been spoken about in this thread passed through my hands for under £10! And I let most of em go because I thought they looked cheap and tacky compared to the Kenner/Palitoy (single logo) versions!
It just seems to be that in the last few years, American collectors have taken an interest in them and discovered that some really are worth bothering about!

jimmyshoes

Reaction score
patm - what are the conditions of those pieces? I would imagine that a really nice (minimal bubble damage, near-perfect card) Leia Hoth would bring around $200.
I probably see more of the Lukes and Numbs around.

>Leia Hoth $125
>Luke Gunner $65
>Nien Nunb $75

------------------
Regards,
Adam

Reaction score
BigRed- I didnt get my trilogo Jawa from a online dealer, he was just a guy online that I bought several trilogos from over a 6 month period last year. I got some great ones from him (Jawa, ERG, Nunb, Han Original, Snowtrooper), finally his supply ran out. He had a few that I didnt buy. I paid $300 for the Jawa, its C9. I thought that was a good deal. The seller may have been the one on the NG.

I have checked Brian's Toys, he is kinda high for me, I think I can do better price wise.

I guess Ill just have to keep hunting. I guess it wouldnt be any fun if these tri's just fell into my lap!

So do you think there are some trilogos out there that no one knows existed? FOr instance, why were there never and Cantina characters made with trilogo fronts? I dont think I have ever heard a answer on that.

Chris
Chakaman