Vintage Star Wars item(s) or deals, you regret not pulling the trigger on?

Reaction score
Any stories on times you could have bought something but just didn't close the deal or make the smart choice? Something that still haunts you today because it would have been a game changer in your collection or you had to pay much more for the same thing in the future?

Was it in the 80s in the toy store? or something in the 90s/00s when you were older?

1- For me I visibly remember first seeing the Droids Boba Fett in a drug store for $1. It must have been 1988 so i was way out of Star Wars and into baseball cards. I remember taking interest in it because i really wanted a Boba Fett coin, something I never had in my collection which at that time was stored away in the attic.

I could have asked my mother to spot me and she probably would have but my mind was more on how I could steal the coin without getting caught and then I wouldn't even have to ask. Weird how that's how my thought process was at the time but then my mom checked out and called me to leave and any opportunity was missed.

2-another time or times i should say was in 1986-1988. I was passionate about my star wars collection but i did move on because star wars was done. I used to keep them nice and secure in a plastic tote and kept them out of site during that time as I would collect He-Man, Garbage Pail Kids, and Wrestlers. I was always conscience about finishing my collection because I only needed about 15-20 figures for the set. So when I was at the toy store, I'd always see the small amount of clearance star wars figures. Sometimes i paid mind to them because i was looking for something else that wasn't there and probably wanted to buy something so I'd pick up a couple figures for $3. I 'd get the BSG, CCP, Klaatu, and then maybe at another store Romba, ImpDig, and Warok because those were the usual pegwarmers. The thing i regret is that i knew these cheapo figures were hanging around and I never pressed to search out all the figures I needed because sometimes there would be better figures like R2 Lightsaber and EV9D9 which in the end, i had to pay $100's for them

3-Same time period (1986-1988), I'm in modell's which was back then a department store. I got my mom to get me a C-3po case about a month earlier because i told her i needed another storage case. She agreed because she always supported my star wars toys. So we are in modells and i see the cases again but this time with free POTF figure taped to the front. I couldn't ask for the case again but wanted the figures so i wasn't happy that i missed the deal. I was a little pouty and then we came up to a huge stack in the middle of the aisle of Skiffs. Like a pyramid of Skiffs. My mother even said "ohhh the Skiff". They were on clearance for $6. "you want to get one?' she asked. What do i say? i say no. WTF

Last edited:
Reaction score
So many. The one that hurts the most though was a family friend had a early bird kit with DT luke and still had the box with his mom's address on it. and offered it to me as he knew I collected. But I missed the email because I recently had a baby and did not check my messages in time (this was before I had a smart phone) by the time I got in touch with him he sold it. That friend has always had health problems and I don't expect him to live much longer.

Reaction score
Could have bought a Stormy Luke without blaster or helmet for 20. @ Tampa comic con about 6 years ago but decided to walk more through his booth and when I came back to grab it, he was gone.

That was also the same day I decided passing on meeting Carrie Fisher.

To be fair though, Money was a lot tighter and I did still manage to pull great deals regardless. Carrie was not dying and was still going to signings . --Just one of those days I guess

Reaction score
A DT Vader and Removable Rocket Boba Fett decades ago for a lot less than they go for today.

Reaction score
I once passed on an Amanaman priced at one dollar at a yard sale in the mid-‘90s. A guy had a few figs for a buck each, and I almost bought it just for sentimental reasons.

I collected as a kid in the ‘80s and then got back into the lifestyle hard around 2000. But in the ‘90s, although I was reading the novels and comics, I had moved a bit away from the figures. I did have some POTF2 stuff but didn’t need to buy up old beaters at yard sales. I’ve never forgotten that one, though.

Reaction score
Complete set of revenge proofs for $1,000😆😂🤣 I can’t count how much I’ve spent on proofs ever since. K

Reaction score
1. Revenge proofs for $25 each in the early 90s

2. AFA 80 loose Vlix for $3000 many years ago.

3. All of the chances I had to pick up Cat IV & V POTF coins for less than $200 each.

Reaction score
I was at a flea market (about 3 months ago) and a guy had a vintage falcon for $60. It was missing a few pieces so I was hemming and hawing and figured I would walk the aisle and on my way back down the next aisle I went to look at it again and it just sold. I did pick up a snow speeder for $15 instead from him.
Not as good as the falcon but it better than nothing. I don't know what I was thinking.

Reaction score
I regret none of my actions prior to the birth of my children or they would be different people.

Reaction score
Getting an autograph from Carrie Fisher and mark Hamill when they did a show in los Angeles. At the time, their signatures were $60 each it but was like a 2 hr line for each, so I passed. I have zero patience w lines. So regret that now.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Earliest one was when my friend was bummed out because we all had the really cool Jawa with the cloth robes, and all he had was the one with the stupid vinyl cape. I refused to trade. Repeatedly, for years, I refused to trade.

When the vintage line was past its prime and stores couldn't give figures away, I was at the mall with my mom. We went into Kay-Bee toys and they had tons of them. I was a bit too old for toys at the time, but I'd always wanted some of those last figures, especially Amanaman and the Death Star Gunner. IIRC, they were marked down to 98 cents, but they had a BOGO or Buy One, Get Two sale going, just to try to clear space. I told my mom I should buy up a few whole sets of them, box them up, and store them in the basement. She told me to go right ahead. I changed my mind.

There were a few others here and there, mostly stuff like friends getting rid of their collections, or stuff found at yard sales, but the above two stand out the most. As far as non-Star Wars, as we entered high school my one friend's tastes changed and he decided to get rid of a lot of his toys. He wanted to keep his oldest, dearest items, but he didn't have room for anything more recent as his other collectibles were eating up more space. The one thing I wanted, which he'd have given to me for free, was his Clash of the Titans Kraken, which he kept stored in its box. I didn't have any other CotT figures, so I ultimately passed.

Reaction score
1985 (maybe 1986), I had my allowance $$ and could have gotten the Skiff or DV's TIE and a figure. Went with Vader's TIE (I had never owned a TIE toy as a kid) and Imperial Dignitary. At least I got a POTF figure. Always mad I didn't get the Skiff. At least the POTF2 version came out so I have the mold.

Reaction score
I actually have a Kenner skiff shell, but it’s missing literally everything. No rails, no tails, no fins, no gear. But it’s one of my few remaining original childhood pieces!

Reaction score
Right after I moved out here I was a poor working 20 something, y’know? I could have bought a beater ROTJ carded rebel commander for $35 or less, can’t exactly recall, at a flea market. The owner had him displayed in harsh sunlight and I get like I should buy it to rescue it. For some reason I really regret not getting this. My girlfriend (now wife) would have been horrified if I had bought it though.

Reaction score
Around ‘78, a kid I knew in the neighborhood decided that he no longer wanted his figures and offered them to me. A couple extra stormtroopers, droids, and a blue snag. I turned him down cause I always thought he was a little strange.

Wait, no I didn’t. I said ”yes” and have cherished that tall, blue rarity to this day.

I may have misunderstood the assignment here.

Attachments

• 945B200B-722F-4ADE-B491-12A06E80BCA1.jpeg
    945B200B-722F-4ADE-B491-12A06E80BCA1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reaction score
I have 3 big regrets of not pulling the trigger on some items around 2010
-DT Darth Vader loose fairlly good condition for $4000, i thought i could get one later down the track but from then on it kept rising in price
-Uzay Darth Vader loose complete in mint condition for $1000, again thought it was too much
-and the biggest regret was on ebay, not bidding on a Toltoys 12 back Darth Vader sealed but yellow bubble sold for $1500 back in 2010, same card recentlly sold for $20.000
If only i could do it again and not pass on the 3

Reaction score
Mine happened today. I didn't pull the trigger on an almost complete Ewok Battle Wagon for $300 that had the skull and cage I am missing....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
Reaction score
Around ‘78, a kid I knew in the neighborhood decided that he no longer wanted his figures and offered them to me. A couple extra stormtroopers, droids, and a blue snag. I turned him down cause I always thought he was a little strange.

Wait, no I didn’t. I said ”yes” and have cherished that tall, blue rarity to this day.

I may have misunderstood the assignment here.
Sort of the opposite, but when I was a kid, I tried repeatedly to trade my blue Snaggletooth for better figures, but none of my friends wanted him. They all had the "real" red Snag and didn't want the one with the stupid boots.

Reaction score
I guess my biggest regret is non-Star Wars. I am not a Harry Potter fan. But I was working for a place that got a license to do Harry Potter educational programs including a bunch of educational merch. The license was revoked abruptly, AFTER we took delivery of several cases of the HP branded items. I was told to throw them out. At least one garbage bag of them was throw out into my car. My girlfriend insisted we didn’t have room and I shouldn’t keep them to sell someday. I couldn’t sell them right away because I was afraid I’d lose my job if anyone noticed them I eBay. I should’ve saved some. Instead I agreed to throw dozens of unreleased Harry Potter merch items from like 2006ish into a dumpster.

Reaction score
Interesting topic! I saw an original R2 pop up saber carded on ebay around ten years ago going for £150. I asked my friend if that seemed a bit cheap and he agreed. I was about to buy it now then just didn't bother as I wasn't into star wars as much then and I was at work so thought I'd think on it. Of course it was gone the moment I hesitated.

Recently I saw a 15" IG-88 figure with original weapons and bandolier. The bombs were repro though it was buy it now for $370!! I was up so late I had literally caught the listing as it appeared. Again I hesitated as wanted to confirm if my friend could post it to the UK. Next day it was gone!

So the moto is if your gut is telling you it's a good deal then don't hesitate as you could end up paying more in the long run :D

Reaction score
For years I thought I had all the Kenner figures from when I was a kid,except for the Han in Carbonite, so I passed on various Last 17's for cheap prices 15-ish years ago. Upon getting to a larger house and setting up my home office finally, and wanting to display my childhood collection, I realized I was missing 14 total figures. At the end of '19, I saw and passed on a R2 w/ popup saber (loose) for around $275-300. And I could kick myself now for it.

Non-Star Wars related, I passed on the Bandai Soul of Chogokin Voltron GX-71 a few years back, and regretted it. It's come back up for pre-order a couple of times, and I had one more opportunity to buy it but hesitated and it was gone when I went back. Last week, an opportunity came up, and I jumped on it this time. I cannot wait for it to get here.

Reaction score
Celebration 2 hotel room sale in Dan Flaridas room….instead of picking and choosing a dozen proofs that I did pick up, I should have just bought the two comic short boxes he had full of proofs available for sale. ESB proofs I’m pretty sure we’re $40 each or three for $100.

Jim

Reaction score
I remember going to a comic shop many years ago, and they had a box of Kenner figures for $2 each and accessories for $.50 - I bought a mint / complete Yoda with all accessories for $2, and a couple coins for 50 cents each - they had plenty of others which I left, including expensive accessories like that pop-up lightsaber from R2. All those years ago, I had no idea that was expensive, as I've never had that R2 figure, so I wasn't hunting down the saber. I wish I would have bought more figures and accessories - I was just so happy finding a mint Yoda, because while I have my childhood original, it has no accessories anymore. My mind was surely clouded with excitement. I know the other loose figures probably weren't all that exciting, but the box of accessories was a little treasure trove, sometimes I wonder who was next to stumble upon it. Here's hoping it wasn't one of those resellers that are vultures, and instead went to a kid or collector and they were equally as happy as I've been with Yoda.