QUESTION Vintage Star Wars and Kids

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum but been reading posts for a while now. As a kid I was big into Star Wars and gained a sizable collection but I didn't start until around Empire Strikes Back so most of my stuff doesn't have significant value (from what I read). I have two C3PO and two Darth Vader cases full of figures and several sets and ships but most were well played with when I was a kid. I have a collection of cards and weapons and a couple unopened Return of the Jedi figures (started getting more interested in collecting then playing). They all eventually ended up in boxes and went up into my parent's attic for ~30 years.

I now have a couple of young kids and decided to get everything out of the attic for my kids to enjoy. They are still young but it is great to watch them play.

I have done some casual research and see no significant value for most things in the collection so I have let them play with them all (except the guns and such). What I do see is that for some characters like Han in Carbonite, Luke as stormtrooper, and others there seem to be some value so just curious if there are any I should keep hidden? In some cases, like PoF, I should be able to put a card back, coin, figure, and weapon together (if I can figure out which weapon goes with which character).

I was originally thinking of selling a few, but after watching the kids play I may just try to finally finish off my collection (I have some card backs where I circled the ones I was missing when I was a kid :). But then I waffle when I see you can get good money for Amanaman's staff!!!

Appreciate any feedback and/or guidance.

Reaction score
If it was me, and I was thinking about starting to finish a collection. I would pick out the nice figures, especially the expensive ones. Like the Potf, luke stormtrooper and such. Give the kids the beat up ones, they will never notice condition, but will still have a blast playing with them. Then later if you decide collecting is not for you, you can always sell the nice ones and the Potf and use the money to buy yourself and your kids something. There's a great site called imperialgunnery that will help you to match the figures with the weapons and accessories. Hope that helps some 😁

Reaction score
Thanks for the info @blue_snag, so other than the few in the Potf that have some value is there any others that should be put away? I see lists and look on eBay but the value for loose figures seems to be all over the board. So are there any others in my fairly typical collection set that may be worth putting away?

Reaction score
Just off the top of my head, vinyl caped Jawa, Blue Snaggletooth, Yoda(orange or brown snake), Luke Farmboy(you might check luke farmboy, ben kenobi, and vader for double telescoping light sabers. The ben and vader are more rare, but the luke might have one), any of the Potf, or some call them the last 17. I don't know how far you collected past Return of the Jedi and Power of the Force. But some of the Droids and Ewoks line go for good money, Tig Fromm, Sise From, Vlix, Cartoon Wicket, Logray, and some of the others from these lines.

Reaction score
Anything that was from the end (Han Carbonite, etc) is pretty rare and thus has value even if beaten up. They simply didn't get a long production run so there isn't as much of a supply of those.

Reaction score
I build diaramas with my kids. They are careful with everything and it gives me the best of both worlds. Kids get to play, I get to collect and everyone seems to be happy.
My guys are 6,8 and 10 so seems tonwork out really well. With that said, I could use an amanaman staff if you decide to let it go. Yes I know, shameless to ask on my part

Reaction score
@blue_snag, I didn't collect past RoJ and PoF, but that is interesting to know. Thanks for the info @TauntaunScout, I have 15 of the last 17 with the two exceptions (EV-9D9 and Yak Face) which sounds like is common. @dirtpigs, I like your idea. Good way to let them play and then I can collect. If I decide not to collect I will keep you posted, I like these kind of forums for such things.

Reaction score
Unless you need the money, why not keep the entire collection in your family? Let your kids play with them, they might get years of enjoyment as you once did. You can always box them up for a couple decades after, and they might crack them open again, either for themselves or the next generation. As a teenager, I got rid of the majority of my SW collection, and I regret it. As an adult, unless there is a financial issue, you can save them all. Often times collectors will act like the more uncommon figures are rare artifacts or artwork that must be preserved...they're just toys. Just my opinion, but I think you'll get more out of the happiness you see in your children than money from a stranger on ebay...

Reaction score
I appreciate the insight @darth_sidious, initially I was thinking of letting my kids play with a few of them and then just sell the rest, but once I saw how much they enjoyed playing with them I began to change my mind. It has brought back a flood of good memories.

Side note, I had to throw up one of my figure cards that I still have. Not because the card is anything special but because of the PICnSave sticker on it. PicnSave was similar to a dollar store before the dollar store was cool. I got a lot of my PoF figures from PICnSave ($1.59).

Attachments

Reaction score
I remember picknsave. Overall you have been getting good advice here, I would say watch out for anything noticeably rare but otherwise it's probably okay to let them play.