Vintage on the Big Screen

Reaction score
I was watching Poltergeist the other day. I always loved how Star Wars vintage items got a lot of screen time. One thing I never noticed or paid attention to was the figures were always moved around in different positions, even in the same scene. I bet Robby was playing with figures during cuts, lol. It was disappointing to see the Tie Fighter get beat up in the closet scene. It also was moved around in that scene . I saw it come from different angles towards the closet.

Anyways do you know of any other movies that had SW vintage items on display? I know they were in Stranger Things and The Goldbergs. Don't recall any in Big Bang Theory, even though SW is heavily represented.

Reaction score
Regarding The Big Bang Theory...there's a vintage Chewbacca figure sitting on Sheldon's desk.

Reaction score
Freaks & Geeks has a cardboard AT-ST in the background of one of the kids' rooms.

The original V had kids playing with Kenner 12" figures I think.

That 70's Show really made me mad because they went to the trouble to recreate 70's chips bags but used POTF2 Star Wars figures. Someone else (maybe the Goldbergs) irritated me when they used modern SW toys as stand-ins for vintage but I can't recall who for sure right now.

For more on the farbwatch, Freaks & Geeks used a circa 1998 Warhammer castle as a DM's screen, and Stranger Things used a 2000's WOTC plastic troglodyte miniature.

ET as @akcuda mentioned has a ton, I keep finding more in rewatches. TIE Fighter,

Gremlins would be a good one to double check, it had a lot of product placement. The boardgame SURVIVE for example.

Reaction score
Freaks & Geeks has a cardboard AT-ST in the background of one of the kids' rooms.

The original V had kids playing with Kenner 12" figures I think.

That 70's Show really made me mad because they went to the trouble to recreate 70's chips bags but used POTF2 Star Wars figures. Someone else (maybe the Goldbergs) irritated me when they used modern SW toys as stand-ins for vintage but I can't recall who for sure right now.

For more on the farbwatch, Freaks & Geeks used a circa 1998 Warhammer castle as a DM's screen, and Stranger Things used a 2000's WOTC plastic troglodyte miniature.

ET as @akcuda mentioned has a ton, I keep finding more in rewatches. TIE Fighter,

Gremlins would be a good one to double check, it had a lot of product placement. The boardgame SURVIVE for example.
I need to rewatch ET, haven't seen that in probably 20 years

Reaction score
E.T. and Poltergeist immediately spring to mind, so much that, as a kid, I kind of lumped them in with Star Wars for some reason. For years it was in my head that Spielberg had directed Poltergeist and Williams had done the soundtrack lol. I also lumped Commando with Lethal Weapon, Die Hard and Action Jackson (mostly for the cast) and lumped Alien, Predator and Terminator, for obvious reasons. I guess I was OCD.

Reaction score
It’s frustrating when the producers and designers of these shows don’t care enough about their material to get stuff like that right.

I was briefly on the set of the HBO show True Detective (long story), and they wouldn’t even allow like a modern toilet paper roll or something in the very background of a scene for one split second. They didn’t even want the little dotted-line rosettes to be wrong, something you couldn’t even see, on something that probably hasn’t even changed in thirty years.

And yet a show like Stranger Things, which exists entirely for nostalgia, screws up several D&D minis, and has the wrong Transformers for the year they’re representing.

It’s not so much a fanboy complaint as just someone wanting people to take a little pride in their job.

Reaction score
When it’s wrong (looking at you that 70s show) it weirdly seems to be on purpose. 70s show had potf2 figures that they were passing off as vintage. At the time I thought they were just being lazy with props. But now I know it was product placement & Hasbro wanted
1 the product available in the store at the time
2 to show people (not just kids) playing with toys. (Looks around, dam it it worked)

Reaction score
That’s a great point. I always forget that different companies often probably do control the content (or use it as advertising).

Reaction score