QUESTION Vintage Luke Skywalker DT Saber Help

Reaction score
Greetings to all of you awesome vintage Star Wars collectors! Though I've not yet posted here on rebelscum, I've referenced this site many times over the years and realize that there are so many of you with more knowledge and experience than I. In fact, it never ceases to amaze me at just how much there is to learn in this area. It's quite fascinating. As one who lives and collects here in Colorado, I've been selling vintage Star Wars (primarily on eBay) for several years. During that time, I've come across some nice items (DT Vader, broken DT Obi saber, and a handful of DT Luke sabers) in addition to the large collection I amassed when I was younger (starting in the late 80s).

Today I was analyzing a recent purchase that included several nice vintage items, with everything being original. There were a few dozen figures and accessories, including a mix of 1977/1978 release figures and some 1980 ESB figures. There were two Luke Skywalker figures (one with a truly legit "HH" hilt with tip), and one Obi-Wan figure. The "second" Luke had Obi-Wan's blue saber, and Obi-Wan had a yellow DT Luke saber. After carefully pulling Luke's saber from Obi's arm, I started investigating. This one has a dot on the end of one side of the hilt, a darker yellow plastic, and a rougher texture. I've included pictures below. Based on these points, I was struggling to find definitive information confirming legitimacy of this item, yet my gut tells me that it is authentic (e.g. everything in the lot checks out, the "HH" Luke is an earlier version). I did find a recent sale on eBay for a similar looking DT Luke saber here:

I've reviewed quite a bit here and also on imperial gunnery, without getting full confidence that this is an authentic piece. I would value feedback from any of you with more extensive experience with these DT sabers. My other DT sabers didn't have this rougher texture (or circular markings down the side), so that's my primary hesitation. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Legit. That's a circles variant. That's a nice early production DT you've got there. How much of the inner is still there?

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the reply! I suppose I would need to pull it out and officially measure to find out. That said, I'm not certain how long the inner filament should be, and I'm guessing that it's not appropriate to share those types of specs online. I believe that the inner filament is complete, and was thinking of getting it graded and cased. Thanks again for the confirmation on this piece.

Reaction score
Make 100% sure it's the full length for the inner before you send it off for grading. A mm short will severely ding the grade.
If it's full size, you should be able to pull it out from the back, pulling from the thicker end of the saber. The inner is longer than the outer.