Vintage Kenner Star Wars Collecting research survey

Reaction score
Hello fellow collectors,

My name is Becky Nash and I am an associate professor at the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB). I would like to invite you to participate in a research study using Social Network Analysis methods to 1) map the online network of vintage Kenner Star Wars collectors, 2) examine how collectors conduct due diligence, and 3) analyze fraud victimization within the online collecting network. All survey responses will be completely anonymous and no individual identifying information will be collected. The survey takes about 20 minutes to complete, and the decision to participate in this study is completely voluntary. As a show of appreciation for your participation in this study, you can voluntarily enter a raffle (not linked to your survey responses) at the end of the survey for a chance to win one of twenty, $25 Amazon gift cards, or one of three vintage Star Wars-related prizes (Carded Admiral Ackbar on beater card, carded Paploo on cut card, and a loose lot of vintage SW action figures, accessories not included). Prize winners will be chosen by a random number generator. Like many of you in the collecting community, collecting vintage Kenner Star Wars toys is a long-time passion of mine and I hope this will be a fun activity for you to participate in.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via email:
Becky.nash@csulb.edu

Link to the online survey:

https://csulb.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4JzKdcIDe9UWDR4

Last edited:
That’s a neat survey! I’m sure we all get ripped off a bit more than we realize, even if negligibly.

Hello fellow collectors,

My name is Becky Nash and I am an associate professor at the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB). I would like to invite you to participate in a research study using Social Network Analysis methods to 1) map the online network of vintage Kenner Star Wars collectors, 2) examine how collectors conduct due diligence, and 3) analyze fraud victimization within the online collecting network. All survey responses will be completely anonymous and no individual identifying information will be collected. The survey takes about 20 minutes to complete, and the decision to participate in this study is completely voluntary. As a show of appreciation for your participation in this study, you can voluntarily enter a raffle (not linked to your survey responses) at the end of the survey for a chance to win one of twenty, $25 Amazon gift cards, or one of three vintage Star Wars-related prizes (Carded Admiral Ackbar on beater card, carded Paploo on cut card, and a loose lot of vintage SW action figures, accessories not included). Prize winners will be chosen by a random number generator. Like many of you in the collecting community, collecting vintage Kenner Star Wars toys is a long-time passion of mine and I hope this will be a fun activity for you to participate in.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via email:
Becky.nash@csulb.edu

Link to the online survey:

https://csulb.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4JzKdcIDe9UWDR4
Just bumping it up :)

That’s a neat survey! I’m sure we all get ripped off a bit more than we realize, even if negligibly.
Thanks Tulga. Exactly what you said. That is what prompted me to do this research, along with my research in Ponzi schemes and other frauds. I said to myself, why not do research on something you love!

The greatest thing about modern higher education is the right and opportunity to focus on WHATEVER you want. It doesn’t necessarily need an immediate academic use on any kind of macroeconomic scale. We’ve already broken down almost everything; why don’t we allow students to add to our combined knowledge through any and all added information? If I were going for a PHD, I’d pick something specific to my interests I’m sure! 🤓

The greatest thing about modern higher education is the right and opportunity to focus on WHATEVER you want. It doesn’t necessarily need an immediate academic use on any kind of macroeconomic scale. We’ve already broken down almost everything; why don’t we allow students to add to our combined knowledge through any and all added information? If I were going for a PHD, I’d pick something specific to my interests I’m sure! 🤓
Virtually all valuable inventions are the result of someone cobbling together 3 or more pieces of "useless" research from 5 to 500 years prior. If we stop researching "useless" things we're sewing the seeds of our own economic collapse.

Virtually all valuable inventions are the result of someone cobbling together 3 or more pieces of "useless" research from 5 to 500 years prior. If we stop researching "useless" things we're sowing the seeds of our own economic collapse.
*removed* - GNT .

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I agree.
Although I did think more of the survey questions needed extra options. Some of them I had to pick the least-worst option. But I am an extremely oddball Star Wars collector. Don’t buy graded, don’t buy sealed, barely ever buy 3.75” to collect.

Back