Re: Vintage figures/Items left to redo?
Definiely something that's been covered at some length around the various threads, but the list is definitely getting shorter.
1) Death Squad Commander - (Original 12 - 1978) I put this one on the list for those that insist this paint job exists. For my money, I believe this gap has been filled with the various DSTs that we've received, but Hasbro seems to acknowledge that we want one, and therefore I'd guess we'll see it as a filler figure at some point.
2) EG-6 Power Droid - All of the Power Droids that they've done so far are based on the "Gonk" Droid from the Sandcrawler. The one at the Lars Homestead actually has a different build, has a taller box, and actually has the "details" on the front like sticker on the original blue Power Droid from the 1979 vintage line. So an EG-6 would require a largely new tool. This is one that we're probably going to have to elevate on their radar, as I'd guess they'll count this one as covered.
3) Echo Base Deck Officer - this one should come out as Cal Alder or Shawn Valdez. While the 1980 vintage figure was sold as a Rebel Trooper, the outfit that they modeled it after was actually the Deck Officers from inside the hangar. Interestingly enough, the 1981 Rebel Commander is actually more properly the vintage Hoth Rebel Trooper. This one would also be a largely new tool. Although it will share some common parts with an upated Hoth Luke Skywalker.
4) Bespin Security Guard (ESB - 1980) - The original BSG release featured a mustachioed face, which directly corresponds to one of the guards that escorts Lando out to greet the heros as they arrive at Cloud City. Given the fantastic new Bespin Guard that's coming in this year's ESB wave (with another vintage gap filler - Sgt. Edian), this one is just a head sculpt change, and should come as a filler at some point.
5) R2-D2 Sensorscope (ESB - 1982) - This is a case where we really don't have the specific sensor, but rather the periscope, while there have been figures in the line under this title, I'd guess they'll find a way to mix this one into a future ESB wave as a filler.
6) Wooof - Corresponds to the vintage Klaatu (ROTJ - 1983). To a certain extent, we've been splitting hairs with the first few, but this one, there's no hair splitting, there's nothing even close in the modern line. Fortunately this one seems to be on track for 2010. Let's hope they deliver on that promise.
7) Vink'to - I'm going to start a campaign to name the "vintage Nikto" (ROTJ - 1984) some sort of amalgamation of what the character represents. All the other Niktos at Carkoon have been named (Vedain, Nysad, Vyzam), so why not the vintage figure? This character corresponds to a Nikto on the guard skiff. While we've had an old POTF2 figure of Vyzam and the new Nysad figure that's coming in the ROTJ wave, this one is a completely different figure - and much like Klaatu a glaring gap.
8) Lumat - (ROTJ - 1984) - Here's an easy repaint Ewok. SO far they haven't released any Ewok under this name, but have danced all around it. It's an easy repaint of Graak, but needs to be in vintage colors. Rumor has it this one will be in whatever ewok exclusive seems to be on tap for next year.
9) Sim Aloo - the vintage Imperial Dignitary (POTF1 - 1985) - we thought of him as generic, but now that they've done two specific Imperial Dignitaries, and since we've been specific on the others, they need to make sure to fill this gap as well.
10) Kithaba - the vintage Barada (POTF1 - 1985) - while we've gotten the character now called Barada, the vintage figure is based on the character now called Kithaba. The two Carkoon Baradas are different in many details. Kithaba wears a two-layer tunic, with the outer yellowish layer being a completely different color than Barada's one-piece. Kithaba also has a different Bandolier on. Given that the existing Barada figure is a POTF2 era Cinema scene figure, this one needs to be all new!
So there you have it ten gaps to go - and really only about half of them are really glaring gaps, for several, we're very much splitting hairs over what's been released already.
With the strong rumors of Wooof and Lumat for 2010, and a back-door comment that would lead us to believe that the Gray DST is coming as well, we can hope that three more will be filled in the coming year.