Vintage: Is the green limbed Chewbacca a variation?

G

Just a quick question..

I still have a few of my childhood figures including chewbacca which has green limbs.
I cant remember if they were always that color or if they have just discolored over time.

Anyone have some info about a green limbed chewbacca.... Im guessing its just discolored.

Thanks

Shane

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: flarida ]

G

I've heard a lot of this, about Chewies (among others) limbs turning other colors. I have 2 vintage Chewies and neither of them is discolored at all. Does this happen from being left in the sun or something? I used to take my toys in the bathtub and never had any problem, well except R2-D2's decal sticker, DOH!

------------------
"Who's scruffy-looking?"

G

As a young destructive child , I threw my first Chewbacca on top of my house ( Gasp) He stayed up there for several months to a year. He endured probably every element of weather during his stay up there. Finally , my father was working on the roof one day and threw him back down to me. When I picked him up , the arms and legs were green. My guess is that sunlight causes it.....

My first Chewbacca really had a rough life in the beginning. I still have that Chewbacca and his legs can be removed easily like a removable limbs C-3PO...LOL Amazingly I still have his gun , which has faired much better over the years...

Reaction score
LOL, my Chewie has the green limbs too. I thought Kenner didnt know what color he was.

G

I figured it was just discoloration

Thanks for all your help!

Shane

------------------
i am a loser geek

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Georgoulias:

The figure is faded. Sunlight can kill Chewbacca faster than RA Salvatore.

-chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stupid Wookiee. I should have popped Lumpy while I had the chance.
ron

G

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by amarch:
well except R2-D2's decal sticker, DOH!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

come on I was six years old!

and my chewie is has gangrene in his arms and legs too.

G

This question regarding green limb Chewbaccas has been poping up lately, a little bit here and another site, not to mention a number on ebay have been advertised. As many of you know I am a big variation collector and this is one that I will not add to my collection, because I believe, along with the majority here, that the limbs are due to sun damage or something else and not a real variation.

G

Jc could have a point there dead maul, I don't have a "Fabled" figure in my collection.

Reaction score
How about that CRAP CUSTOM painted "Fabled" white glove and neck varation Fett I was STUPID enough to bid on and win the other day! Man, it takes all kinds................

Mike SCARDS22

[This message has been edited by SCARDS22 (edited 06-29-2001).]

Reaction score
I'm with megalodonfett on this one. Its not one for the collection.

Its funny how nobody noticed these years back. Perhaps its cos they didnt exist?

------------------
Dan Whiteley (UK)
Dannydubs@go.com

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pariah:
If the limbs went yellow due to sun exposure wouldnt this bubble be yellow too?.. or is this just a custom job?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't get so hung up on the sunlight thing. The limbs are fading from UV rays or they're reacting to something, perhaps air. But one thing is for sure. No matter if it's loose or dead mint carded, it's still NOT a "variation" or difference that was present during original production or availability. Age has made this change. Nothing else. Now your mileage may vary as to whether you think it's desirable or not. Might as well start buying figures with completly worn off paint if you start down this path.

Yes, it's odd and some of the Chewies really change color quite uniformly, but it's just an age-damaged piece of plastic.

-chris

Reaction score
No variation here. It's always amused me how the Chewbacca's with faded limbs are called "variations". I especially like when people call them "olive limbed" like Brian and some others. Gives them a rarer sound than just plain green. I wouldn't buy a "green" limbed Chewbacca for a buck even with an authentic gun and no paint wear at all. It's a faded C-5 figure as far as I'm concerned. There were none like that 22 years ago when they were first made because they were all brown. They turned over years and that is not a variant. It's fading and makes them non-mint and worn. It looks neat though.
Chewbacca with moldy limbs.

------------------
Please visit my homepage at http://freeweb.pdq.net/nighthawk/starwars.htm Thanks.

Reaction score
That figure tells you all you need to know about AFA. Grading a deterioration as a variation. Also, how did it score an 80 with no nose paint?

Thanks for bumping a 13 year old thread though......

Ian