Vintage: Is it wrong to bid against fellow forum members on ebay?

Ty

Reaction score
I've pretty much resisted posting this question, but I might as well give it a shot.

As far as E-Bay goes, I've seen many many auctions that I've wanted to bid on, but another (mainly 3 different guys; ya know who ya are
) CSW Forum member has the high bid on an auction.

If you REALLY want something on ebay and you see that someone you know from here (Someone else who you even respect as a fellow collector) is the high bidder, would you bid?

Is it an equal playing field with every man for himself, or what?

I DO think this issue has come up before, but I just wanted to ask..

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: flarida ]

Reaction score
Generally, I would defer if I know of the other person and know that they want/need the piece. However, if it is something that I REALLY want or need to fill in my collection, I truly believe that it is every man for himself. Ultimately, all is fair in love and war.

I've been outbidded by a very close friend one time. Sure, I was upset, but I got over it and realized that I MAY have done the very same thing. We are still friends and we work to help each other out with our collections.

Reaction score
I have a guy I use to talk to all the time and I bid against him once and he has never answered an email since. Now I TRY not to bid against people I know by name or try harder for people I talk to on a regular or semi-regular basis. However, if I see someone bidding on something I want I will watch it. Once someone outbids them the piece becomes fair game. Although I have seen quite a few pieces that come up where every name on the bidder list is either from here or the Archive. It's your call but like I said I TRY not to go against names I know unless I REALLY want it or it's a piece I almost never see.

John

Reaction score
If the high bidder is a friend I communicate often with, I will email them to find out how high they are going to go on the item. Sometimes if the item is about to close, and I don't have time to talk to the bidder, I will place a bid anyway. So far I haven't lost any friends by doing it. Most people understand that they aren't the only ones to see the auction, and that the high dollar bidder is really the only way to be fair about it.

------------------
Dan W. Flarida
Forum Moderator:
Vintage and Other Collectibles
flarida@collectstarwars.com

www.KennerToys.com

Reaction score
As far as bidding goes, I would NEVER bid on an item that one of my collecting buddies had bid on "first". Thats how I bid with my SW friends.

G

Scards22 is right. There is nothing I would want bad enough to outbid a friend for.

Reaction score
Usually, if someone I know has already bid on an item, I don't place a bid. However, if it was an item that I really wanted that also doesn't appear on the market very often (for example, certain proof cards), then I will bid on it (unless the friend bidding on it is one of about 4 close collecting friends)...

------------------
"And the winner is...#3 in a quantum finish!" (Race Track Announcer)
"No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!" -The Professor, Futurama
"Darth" Matt Carroll
BHC Reporter & Forum Moderator (POTF2, Classifieds, Trading, and Wuher's Cantina)
darthmatt@collectstarwars.com

Reaction score
This happens to me all the time too. I just wouldn't bid against somebody else from the forums. I know that the people here are good guys (and gals), and wouldn't want to knock them off. Ultimately, there will always be more figures on ebay. So what if I have to wait another week, another month, or whatever.
Usually I do watch the auction end though. If somebody outbids the friend within the last minute, I'm there to try to snipe it.

Reaction score
I think you should write to the person who has already bid and see how bad they want it. That way, you not only come to a fair agreement, but also save money by not driving up the price.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Since I am really into collecting micro prototypes and I know alot of the other people who are into this sort of thing it's hard to not go up against some of my collecting friends and/or contacts. Sometimes certain things are very scarce and may never be up for sale again. This is when it gets kinda tough!

Ultimately! It's really every man for himself I guess. However I'd rather someone I know outbid me than some new guy I have never seen before. At least then I know where the item is going!:^)

I think it's a different story with stuff that is mass produced and on Ebay regularly.
After all there will always be another! Why not let your friend get it for a good price.

Jeff

Ty

Reaction score
Cool guys, thanks for the good hearted replies

I thought this might be a difficult subject to post, but everything sounds really good from what I'm hearing!

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Mike on this one...even though I don't use e-bay, I would never try to outbid a friend of mine. I would let him have the item and then wait until it comes back up again.

------------------
Florida Gator fan's response to an FSU Seminole's comment about Gainesville: "Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is!"

Reaction score
It never stops me from bidding. I outbid Scards22 & Jcoulston all the time. (heck, I've even bid on their auctions) And they outbid me as well. That's what ebay is all about.

Reaction score
eBay is eBay & friends are friends. A true friend would get over it, its not like its personal. Although if its not rare, or at a super price I'd lay off.

Rick

Reaction score
I'm sure you guys see my name on eBay quite a bit. I personally don't mind if you bid against me. That is, after all, the nature of the auction format.

I can see how somebody would get upset and if I know it's a piece somebody has been after for a long time, I will either back off or email the bidder to see what their intentions are.

Then again, I just had to have that Collect all 65 and I know Chris Stojanowski wanted it probably just as bad. I'd been hunting that one down for awhile so I didn't bother emailing him to let him know I was going to outbid him.

I also think it’s quite relative. Bidding on a carded Nikto might be different than bidding on a sealed Land of the Jawas playset so just use your judgement call and feel free to knock my name off the high bidder slot.

Besides, with Mike (Scards22) bidding with such fast fingers right when auctions show up, how can any among us ever compete!

R. Jason Coulston
rjcoulston@home.com

[This message has been edited by jcoulston (edited 04-04-2001).]

Reaction score
I think Weepel really hit the nail on the head here. With anything production, it's almost always going to come up again. I wouldn't bid against a friend on something like that.

But when you start getting into the prototype market where there's only a half dozen of a certain item in existence (or maybe as few as *one*), the rules really change. I think all the prototype collector's understand this.

There's bound to be competition for pieces that are so rare. Ultimately what it boils down to is that you win some and you loose some. As long as everyone in the game has a fair shot, it'll all work out in the end.
Someone may have gotten a piece I wanted, but I've also gotten pieces others have wanted, so it evens out. And with protos, there's really no completist mentality (for obvious reasons), so loosing out on a certain piece isn't that big of a deal. There are some pieces that are grail pieces for me that I know some of my friends have. But being friends, I also know that if they ever decided to sell them, I would be on the top of the dibs list. Until them, I'm content with what I've got and to visit those friends and get to see the pieces first-hand even if I can't own them.

Cj

Reaction score
Good subject!

For the most part I am extremely respectful of collectors I know. Sometimes it drives me nuts cause I really want the item but I think it would eat me up to know I outbidded a friend.

NOW..On to the "first" bidder rule...well I gotta be honest I really dont care much for that. Here are just a couple reasons why:

1) I do not spend my lifetime on ebay anymore. So I may not pick up on the item like others that do spend considerably more time on ebay.

2) That person may have a figure equal to the one on ebay already. Why should I let them stockpile them or wait for the scraps?

3) Some people tend to take an advantage of that situation and bid on every item under the sun. This makes it a little tough to continue to sit back.

4) I hate bidding early I prefer for people not to know I am hiding around the corner..well pardon the french but I like to SNIPE!

Those that know me know that I am very respectful of other collectors. I do not by any means want to sound greedy but in the past I have come across some incredibly frustrating situations that people seem to take advantage of this "Rule".

------------------
Vintage Forum Moderator
Pellaeon@collectstarwars.com

Reaction score
Good topic.

I would also agree that the first bidder should not have the "rights" to a auction. If a person I know has bid on that auction I am looking at, I will talk to him before I bid and ask him how high he is planning to go. If I am willing to bid higher, I don't think there should be a problem. Same goes if I wasn't willing to bid higher. I would have no problem if someone I knew outbid me in that situation, that is just the way auctions are meant to work. Rarely does this happen to me though.

I usually do not bid on a item until the last few minutes. That is why I have a problem with a "first bid rule". I also do not have hours upon hours to spend searching ebay. Usually I just scan through the items ending that day. I guess I am also a "sniper". Thats just the way I bid. I do not like to bid on items early. Thats just not my style. I just track items and show them to my friends and ask them if they have any iterest in them. We usually can have an understanding worked out well before "crunch time".

People who know me know that I would never put a strain on a friendship by outbidding them on a auction. There are plenty of figures out there and there is plenty of time to acquire them. I know this much, with all the people I am meeting online, I haven't bid on as many auctions as I used too in the past few years. So I guess in a way the more friends you have, the more money you save!

Chris
Chakaman

G

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weepel99:

Hello Everyone,

Since I am really into collecting micro prototypes and I know alot of the other people who are into this sort of thing it's hard to not go up against some of my collecting friends and/or contacts. Sometimes certain things are very scarce and may never be up for sale again. This is when it gets kinda tough!

Ultimately! It's really every man for himself I guess. However I'd rather someone I know outbid me than some new guy I have never seen before. At least then I know where the item is going!:^)

I think it's a different story with stuff that is mass produced and on Ebay regularly.
After all there will always be another! Why not let your friend get it for a good price.

Jeff
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff:

I am one of the those "new guys" that just got into the unproduced micro stuff. I have seen your name a few times and you have outbid me a few times. I don't get mad about this, but now that I know who you are, I'd probably think twice before outbidding you. This is a great post...I have been wondering how people feel about this for a long time. I can see both sides of the issue here and think there are valid points to each. Personally, I understand when I get outbid, but I won't say that I don't get a little upset if it is a piece I really want. Now though, I know what some of you are looking for, I'll keep your user names in mind before I bid on something.

Bill (Jedi_Byers)