Vintage: How can I tell if my Luke Jedi blue lightsaber is authentic?

Reaction score
OK gang, got another authentication question for you. I'm still on the hunt for the blue lightsaber for luke jedi. I recently bought a lot that came with one of these but I suspect it to be a repro
Did I mention I think repros are the tools of SATAN!!??

Anyway, what i'd really like from one of you is a very nice comparison picture showing an authentic blue saber next to an authentic yellow and green one, to show the major differences and similarities. The three reasons I think this is a repro:
1) the hilt is between the handle and saber is rounded, like a doughnut and not flat on one side
2) the bumps on the handle are not flat on top. They are rounded.
3) the saber is about 1/8th inch shorther.

Since I've never seen one I really don't know if it is in any way different from the others. I assume it should look just the same.

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: flarida ]

G

Thats a repro if I were to bet on it, that discription sounds just like a yellow repro saber that I have. I accidently got the "THING" when I got something else, it sorta came along for the ride I guess. I view repros as complete blasphemy. Don't get me wrong, I don't critizise those who buy them for their figures, thats just what repros are to my collection.

Rogue3, if you have a authentic yellow and green saber, the blue one looks just like they do. The buttons are round and flat on top, real crisp looking. The round handle guard is round w/ a flat edge around it.

Ty

Reaction score
Sounds like a fake to me! I have a real one as well as a repro one.. I lent out my digital camera though, and my friend is keeping it like he owns it or something

Anyhow, sounds like a fake to me. I could try to get a picture for you, but it may take a few days. MF is right though, it is supposed to look exactly like the Bespin and Green LJ sabers.. flat on top, and not made of shiny plastic

I am still wondering one thing though.. I recently got a Luke Bespin, and his lightsaber handle is really screwed up.. not like any other I've ever seen. The circles are totally flat, and about twice the size of the usual circles..

I drew up this little picture just now
Lesse.. the 4th one is like the Luke Bespin Saber I got... I just don't know if it is real, or a really wierd repro. The 5th one in my pic is what most repro lightsabers tend to look like. The circles are not perfect, but instead are little bumps that don't look anything even close to the real deal..

Anyhow, I hope you get a real one!

G

I have the same problem, what you described sounds very much like the saber i have... now this one is bendy (i have a brians toys repo saber and its nuting like it) so i thought it was a original...

Take a look at it tell me what yah think?

[This message has been edited by Killerkiwi (edited 07-19-2001).]

Reaction score
That does look exactly like mine.

[This message has been edited by Rogue3 (edited 07-19-2001).]

Ty

Reaction score
Also, I should mention that is exactly, dot for dot the repro blue and yellow lightsabers that I have! I am 100% positive they're fakes

G

Damn, I was so proud or my blue saber luke, it was the most expensive figure I had bought too :\

Ty

Reaction score
It looks exactly like my drawing.. I'll take a picture if no one else does when I get my camera back.. I lent it out and the guy decided to keep it for a few extra weeks.. I'm going to get it in a few days though.. we'll see

Reaction score
I'm sure there was some variation in original weapons due to different factories etc. (look at the At-At Driver rifle as the most striking example).

I'm sure I have seen variations in this sort of sabre on examples I know are not reproduction (most of my loose stuff came out of peoples attics, not from ebay!). There's no reason why someone would deliberatly fake something that looked so different to the normal sabre.

Just because it isn't identical to another doesn't mean it ain't the real thing! I'll have a look at some of my carded figs tonight to see if I can find any variations

cake

Reaction score
I brought a blue sabre from someone recently, who said it was genuine. After reading this thread, though, I had a look at the sabre and I'd be interested in seeing what people here think about it.

I have a green sabre to compare it against, and the blue sabre is about half a centimetre shorter. The bumps on the handle are smaller than on the green sabre, and the bit between the blade and hilt is like a doughnut.

Ty

Reaction score

Here's Killerkiwi's repro saber.. which is exactly what my repro saber looks like; luckily I have a real saber to compare the fake too.. so I know pretty much all the differences.. Anyhow, Antilles it sounds like yours is a repro too

Ty

Reaction score
We're doing great! Thanks for that Cake! Now at least I know that wierdo lightsaber I've got is authentic.. it came with a Luke Bespin I bought off of a member of these forums!

Anyhow, good investigative work everyone! If there was any doubt in people's minds before about their lightsabers, I think there shouldn't be any anymore!

Reaction score
OK folks, I had a look at my carded lukes, I have four with this sort of weapon, and guess what - three different types.

All these figures are original & sealed:

Palitoy 30-back Luke bespin - Sabre is like 1st sabre in RYT's pic - Hilt tapers slightly towards handle. (Country of manufacture not stated on card)

Tri-logo Luke Original (brown hair) - This figure is actually packed with the wrong weapon (not uncommon with Tri-logos) - Has a yellow Luke Bespin sabre exactly like the 4th picture - has big round dots that are not inset, also the hilt does not taper (I guess you could call it 'donut' shaped) (Made in China)

ROTJ Kenner 77-back Luke Bespin (brn hair) - sabre is identicle to the Palitoy one. (made in Hong Kong)

ROTJ Kenner 79-back Luke Jedi (green sabre). The sabre is like the 2nd illustration, but the dots are slightly smaller and closer together than the previous two I have mentioned. The hilt does not taper as gently. (Made in Taiwan)

I have a fake blue one that looks almost identical to a real one except for thr paint job, which is done badly & is matt (This might actually be a repainted green one - I hadn't thought of that til now!)

I also have two authentic loose yellow sabres that also resemble the 4th picture (One with authentic teethmarks in it
)

Hope this helps the debate a little

Cake

Reaction score
I just received my immaculate C10 Palitoy ROTJ45 Luke Bespin this morning
and comparing the sabre to my four (100%) genuine loose sabres (i.e. two bespin and two jedi), it definitely looks different.

Basically if I received these weapons loose, I would complain of fakes, but this figure is mint, with definitely no chance of a reseal, or it being custom. What I was wondering is, seeing as this is a Palitoy figure, and going off Palitoys record for mistakes and general lack of quality control, is there a good chance that other Palitoys got these fakish looking items included with them. Maybe, they werent made to as high a standards as Kenner?

Any thoughts?

------------------
Dan Whiteley (UK)
Dannydubs@go.com

Reaction score
My Tri-logo luke with the bespin sabre is marked as being manufactured in China. I think manufacturing in this location only happened at a fairly late stage, and a lot of Chinese made items look a little bit cruder (ever seen a Chinese Luke X-wing figure?). Does it state where your Palitoy ROTJ one was made?

Reaction score
On the card it says Made in Hong Kong, I cant see what it says on the back of the figures leg. Other than that, theres not a lot I can say really.

Looking back up the thread, I can state with some confidence that the 4th sabre in RY-T's picture is a dead ringer for my Palitoy Luke Bespin sabre (I should have taken a better look before
). Anyway Cakebacca, it sounds the same as your Trilogo Luke sabre. I reckon they're definitely real, but probably not the best quality. Makes sense since they're on non-Kenner cards.

------------------
Dan Whiteley (UK)
Dannydubs@go.com

[This message has been edited by dead maul (edited 07-31-2001).]

G

Hey dead maul, is that saber with your palitoy the same length as your other originals. A repro that I have is not only cruder but shorter then the originals I have. I think someone here already mentioned that some repros are shorter.

Reaction score
I have the "number 4" saber mould with a yellow-hair Bespin Luke and a green Jedi Luke saber. They are NOT fakes.
I have the regular more detailed types for the brown-hair Bespin Luke and the blue Luke Jedi.

Reaction score
Just to sum up:-

My two loose Luke Bespins both have the genuine sabre 1.

My loose Luke Jedi blue sabre is sabre 3, and my loose Luke Jedi green sabre is sabre 2.

My only carded figure with this type of sabre is my Palitoy ROTJ 45back Luke Bespin. This has sabre 4. I believe this to be 100% genuine, just not molded as well.

I also have a fake yellow and blue sabre in my possession. Both are cast in shiny plastic and look like the definite fake in the photo from earlier. They also arent perfectly straight unlike all of my genuine sabres. They bend ever so slightly to one side.

I'm happy

p.s. Big up to RY-T for his diagram that has helped me once and for all sort this problem of fake and genuine sabres. I have to say that with out this thread I would have never been 100% happy with my new Luke Bespin moc always having a nagging doubt it could be a possible custon using repro weapons. As it is, i'm confident its genuine.

------------------
Dan Whiteley (UK)
Dannydubs@go.com

[This message has been edited by dead maul (edited 07-31-2001).]

Reaction score
RY-T, I have 3 Ree Yees, 1 loose, 1 Palitoy carded and one Kenner carded.

The Kenner carded one doesnt appear to have any chips where it could have been attatched to a model kit frame. I cant see for sure because of the way its taped in place, but im pretty certain.

The Palitoy carded one does have the chip, on the bottom of the gun only. I can tell for sure since its not taped.

My loose one is the same as the Palitoy carded RY. I believe them all to be genuine, simply because the molding on them all looks identical.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Dan Whiteley (UK)
Dannydubs@go.com

[This message has been edited by dead maul (edited 08-01-2001).]