Vintage: How can I safely remove stickers and pricetags?

SAX

Reaction score
Please assist this rookie carded collector. I recently picked up a ROTJ 8D8 unpunched for $27 but it has a price sticker in the top right corner. Any advise or special techniques to get this sucker off would be greatly appreciated. Also, has anyone ever successfully removed a Free Anakin offer sticker from a card? I have one that I would love to get rid of...

Cheers,

SAX

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: flarida ]

Reaction score
First, try slowly taking the sticker off and make sure it doesn't take the card with it. If all you leave is glue residue, then it's a success. Now all you need is WD-40. Take a napkin or paper towel, and wipe some of it on the glue residue; it should come right off! I have done this many times- it works very well.
I don't know about your Anakin offer. I've never tried that. Besides, whats so bad about Anakin offers?
Phil

Ty

Reaction score
SAX, I'm totally afraid of doing that to any of my vintage figures, but it is up to you if you care to risk it. Best advice I can give is to buy a really low quality Rancor Keeper-or the such and try out a few ways to get rid of tags...

Most remedies I've heard have used goo-gone, or lighter fluid. People say it won't wreck the cards, but I can't see that being possible. Pouring lighter fluid onto a card just doesn't seem like a good idea too me, but maybe I am just being too conservative or paranoid..

Reaction score
I've removed many price tags. I use Goo Gone. First, soak the tag. Then, pull up a corner with your finger nail. Then put some Goo Gone on a Q-tip and wipe it across the line where the tag meets the card. Pull the tag up slowly a bit at a time, and wipe some more Goo Gone with the Q-tip. Be patient and it'll do the trick.

HOWEVER - sometime, no matter how careful you are, the tag will pull off some of the print from the cardback. I've had the most trouble with Tri-Logos. But I was also unsuccessful on other cardbacks. It seems like some tag had a stronger bonding glue than others.

As far as pouring Goo Gone or lighter fluid on a card doing damage... it doesn't. The gloss of the cardback offers some protection from the fluid soaking through. But even if you put it on so much as to soak through the cardback, it just evaporates and doesn't damage the card at all. I speak from experience.

------------------
--
Bill Cable
http://CreatureCantina.com

Reaction score
The stickers I have the most problem with are K-Mart and ESPECIALLY Target! Target stickers will never come off without damaging the card-don't even try it.
Phil

Reaction score
I've had lots of luck with Go Gone and tons of patience. Patience is the key. Nice and easy...

Reaction score
Ive always found waveing a hairdryer over the price tag for a minuite or two to make the glue on the price tag really stickey and soft.So when you pull the corner up it should come away quite easily.Then any residue just use an ear-bud with some surgical spirit on it to gently wipe of any excess.I found this works on about 75% of carded figures.But proceed very carefully.

Dax

Reaction score
Well I can't say that I've had experience with vintage carded figures but I have done a couple of the newer POTF2 ones. Originally I was using a product called ZOFF. It's a medical product and is an adhesive plaster remover. It seems like a very concentrated form of alcohol. Good stuff, soaks the sticker, liquifies the adhesive and then the sticker comes off quite easily.

However, I was then using a cotton ball soaked in the stuff to remove the remaining adhesive. Within a couple of seconds I was looking at patches of white carboard where the ZOFF had removed the ink from the card. This is strong stuff kiddies! I haven't used this since.

I think I might have to invest in some lighter fluid and some old cards though

Dax

Reaction score
I know we've seen this discusion ad nauseum, but I guess with the constant influx of new people we rehash it from time to time.

But I always wondered why people will use everything BUT Goo Gone. That stuff is only $1.50 and formulated for removing stickers and residue!

WD-40 is an oil-based lubricant for metal moving parts. Lighter fluid is made to BURN things. Industrial stripper is strong enough to eat away all kinds of material. Turpentine and paint thinner will tear through colors.

Figure cardbacks are made of cardboard for cliff's sake! And to top it off, they feature a delicate printed surface.

I don't care if those other things DO work. Why make up a solution when one has already been developed for you?

And point those hairdryers AWAY from the bubble if you want to help loosen the sticker. Unless, of course, you want to collapse it. :^)

-chris

SAX

Reaction score
Mission Accomplished!!!

Well I invested in a bottle of Zippo Lighter Fluid on the way home last night. It doesn't look good when you buy a liter of OJ, bottle of Coke, zippo lighter fluid and a bottle of JD at the store, the lady must have thought I'd had a bad day and was going home to make myself some strange concoction.
Anyways, one with the story.....

I tried it out on a cardback first and the price tag came off in a couple of minutes using the lighter fluid and an ear bud. Then I tried it on my carded 8D8. Price tag came off about 90% perfect. I lost a small amount of the card but nothing too noticable. After this success I tried it on the Free Anakin sticker. I have nothing against these stickers, I just want to be able to see ALL the artwork on the card. It took me 10 minutes or so but the sticker eventually came off perfectly. No damage to the card at all.

Thank to all for your tips and advice. And yes I did have a JD and Cokes to celebrate afterwards......

Cheers,

SAX

Dax

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Georgoulias:

But I always wondered why people will use everything BUT Goo Gone. That stuff is only $1.50 and formulated for removing stickers and residue!

I don't care if those other things DO work. Why make up a solution when one has already been developed for you?

-chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Chris, the only reason I wasn't using Goo Gone is because I haven't been able to find it for sale here in Australia. Looks like I might have to get a mate to send me some though. Right tool for the right job I suppose

Dax

G

i have always used lighter fluid on price tags and that works pretty well.

have any of you guys ever tried to take off a special offer sticker? i have a couple of figures that have those slapped on covering way too much of the picture, but they seem really securely affixed, and i would be very unhappy if i put a big tear in the picture.