Vintage customs thread

I completely understand the feeling of cannibalizing a vintage figure. I've never done it to a mint or near mint specimen. Hence the reason some of my customs have flaws or missing parts at times.

I'm grateful for 3D printing. It has changed the landscape in customizing for me. Now I print parts of figures, even rare figures, without destroying an original.

Either way, taking old figs of little value and customizing them into display pieces of a collection, is a great way to keep the line alive IMO.

Love your droids! Especially the bronze 3PO and the astromech with arms. Do you print your own stickers? What type of bronze did you use on the 3PO?

The pilots are amazing! My initial favs:

Chewbacca, brilliant use of his limbs on the body.

Using Bossk legs on an X-wing torso looks great. 8th from the left

Enjoy the "perkins" pilot (7th from the left) did you sculpt the chest box?

Love the skin coloring from the 2nd greedo on the left.

Your Endor troopers/mechanic crew: I may have to steal some of those recipes.

Thanks for sharing!

Love your droids! Especially the bronze 3PO and the astromech with arms. Do you print your own stickers? What type of bronze did you use on the 3PO?

The pilots are amazing! My initial favs:

Chewbacca, brilliant use of his limbs on the body.

Using Bossk legs on an X-wing torso looks great. 8th from the left

Enjoy the "perkins" pilot (7th from the left) did you sculpt the chest box?

Love the skin coloring from the 2nd greedo on the left.

Your Endor troopers/mechanic crew: I may have to steal some of those recipes.

Thanks for sharing!
I actually bought those 3PO customs off of eBay a while back so shouldn’t have misled that they were my customizing. They just fit in with the group shot.

Thanks, that chewy is one of my favorites too. If I remember he had a cracked chest and I was able to shave it on the inside so it fit over the x-wing torso.

I did sculpt that chest box and some of the body. Started out as a rancor keeper.

Those are all Pruneface bodies.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a lot of fun with these customs and seeing all the creative creations coming out of this forum.

Those are great Jay!

Here’s my latest. Not Kenner, but always wanted this in my collection. Now I’m hooked and will most likely carry on making more of these. It still has some touch ups to do, but it’s already one of my favorites.

Attachments

• IMG_8258.jpeg
    IMG_8258.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8257.jpeg
    IMG_8257.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
It’s the Green Leader A-Wing from the Legacy Collection. Except for the cannons. Those are from the POTF2 one

Really like the color palette you’ve been using lately. Those look great

This guy started out as an experimental project
20231224_154311.jpg

to hone my sculpting skills in hopes of creating this X-wing pilot fisher-price Star Wars kitbash
Screenshot_20221114-142129_Chrome.jpg

This imperial turned out deeper green than expected, but I wanted some variance in my troops. Unfortunately his eyes got a little wonky. I'd like to think of it as him making a face with one eye slightly in and raised.
20231224_154647.jpg

I like the color choice you ended up with for the Boba helmet kitbash figure!

I've had that same fisher price helmet (first fig on the left) and haven't decided how to use it. I like what you did to create a Bo Shek kinda look.

I don't recognize the base figure 3rd from the left. I assume it's a stranger things Super7 type, maybe?

Yep, you’re right! Super7 from Breaking Bad. I find those at a local comic shop cheap sometimes and thought I could do something with it. Going for an android type character.

Also, was going for the yellow spaceman from the cantina but then decided for extra height just to add some variety.

Just to be clear.....I'm laughing at your "kept me off the streets" comment which is hysterical, not the customs, cos they're pretty good. I was pretty wild when I was younger too, soft core customs......low level diorama mischief......squeegies........I was a mess. Stay strong, @DarthPete ...and remember.....1704408257747.png
keep to the galaxy far. far away and stay out of trouble.

First foray into dying… Also dyed a couple bodies, but don’t have stickers for the color they came out with. The color was supposed to be race car red but came out as a darker red mahogany. No matter how many layers of white paint I apply, some pink from the dye comes to the surface. Maybe should’ve sealed it before painting? Anyway, fun project.
IMG_8317.jpegIMG_8318.jpeg

Wow, that dying color looks solid! I would have never guessed it could be so opaque.

Finished up an imperial officer. I had an extra torso laying around. I wanted one with a tan tunic.
20240116_184309.jpg
I also wanted to create a Nik Sant in Biker Scout disguise from the Battle of Endor. I used a retro Biker scout body.

When I finished, I realized he his black morph suit need to cover his head a bit.

Not sure if I should sew a mini tight fitting hood, use electrical tape, or paint it on. What do you think guys?
20240116_184610.jpg

Wow, that dying color looks solid! I would have never guessed it could be so opaque.
I should’ve taken a before picture, but the head was light brown before I started. I don’t think the original color matters much though since the white pieces I dyed hold the same color.

Try the electrical tape! If it doesn’t look good, just remove it. I like it just the way it is. I also like the rebel commando ‘variant’ in the background.

I might actually go with black plumbers tape, it might be better at form fitting around the head.

I noticed another summer who used the tape and I thought it was an excellent idea. Darthbeek, I believe.

Okay, hear me out on these. I've always loved the concept within some circles of the expanded universe where Luke trains Leia to be a jedi and they become defenders of the new republic.

Mix the concept of new jedi in cool battle robes and armor and I think we could have a seriously cool storyline. Here is my interpretation on what they might have looked like

20240122_055038.jpg20240122_054155.jpg

Either way it was fun creating these two as I cannibalized some clearance retro figures.

Okay, hear me out on these. I've always loved the concept within some circles of the expanded universe where Luke trains Leia to be a jedi and they become defenders of the new republic.

Mix the concept of new jedi in cool battle robes and armor and I think we could have a seriously cool storyline. Here is my interpretation on what they might have looked like

View attachment 483494View attachment 483495

Either way it was fun creating these two as I cannibalized some clearance retro figures.
Love these, great use of parts and colors!

Those are great Jay!!!

1705987717343.png

Effin A, VaderJay, Effin A........
Those Luke and Leia customs are some good clean family fun, eh? Shizzle needs new shorts!!!!! I thought I knew what you used but now I'm stumped. Can you share your recipe?

You bet shizzle!

Luke: head and torso from Jedi Luke (vinatge) legs and arms from Biba Fett Morak (Mandalorian wave)

Leia: retro Ashoka torso and legs with retro Bo Katan arms. Vintage Bespin Leia head.

JediDS,

I never watched The Ashoka show and at first I couldn't figure out what the deal was for this figure.
ahsoka-night-troopers-1.jpg
Now I know. It looks great! What type of tape is that red stuff?

JediDS,

I never watched The Ashoka show and at first I couldn't figure out what the deal was for this figure.
View attachment 483719
Now I know. It looks great! What type of tape is that red stuff?
Its just red duct tape cut into strips .. I think I may try to sculpt the bandages on next, or use plumbers tape and paint it.
@VaderJay
Update: I just tried plumbers tape to make the bandages and really like the look much better, I will post an updated pic when I am finished.

Last edited:
Back