Vintage customs thread

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a couple projects for the heck of it. The droid I've lovingly named C-0VD in honor if the past coule of years. I bashed him together with parts from vintage IG-88, 2B-1 and 8D8 I believe. The torso is from some random flea market figure I picked up years ago. I was experimenting with droid colors.

The Flash Gordon looking character was a result of wanting to practise sculpting. I took a General Madine head cast and sculpted the helmet with milliput. The body is from a 90s Nightwing figure I believe. After the paint job I realized he looked more like Flash Gordon than Star Wars.
20220122_100210.jpg

Reaction score
Here is an interpretation of a Kenner Style Feltipern Trevagg using a Ree Yees figure and casts of the modern line Feltipern figure. I decided to use a more flesh tone for his skin rather than the modern and movie version of grey for contrast. He also seems to fit into my vintage displays better with the flesh tone.
20220122_100957.jpg

Reaction score
I had originally taken a red snaggletooth and replace his legs with Greedo legs then painted him blue to replicate a blue snaggletooth. Once I was able to 3D print a more accurate blue, I decide to repaint this guy with the 70s yellow you see in this picture. Now their a trip of drunken Cantina patrons.
20220122_100619.jpg

Reaction score
I had posted a few months back these guys as primed WIP. Here is the finished products. I used the Clone Wars Jedi 3-pack that came out in the early 2000s for the Rodian and twi'lek jedi. The ithorian was based of Roron Corobb.

This was all part of a project to Kenner style the prequel trilogy.

20220122_101225.jpg

Forgive the Bespin backdrop for these and the prior pics. I haven't gotten around to making proper display backgrounds yet.

Reaction score
Here is an interpretation of a Kenner Style Feltipern Trevagg using a Ree Yees figure and casts of the modern line Feltipern figure. I decided to use a more flesh tone for his skin rather than the modern and movie version of grey for contrast. He also seems to fit into my vintage displays better with the flesh tone.
View attachment 411100
Love it!

Reaction score
@darth_stranger very well done oola and "employee without pay" Leia. Very clean and I'm guessing you sculpted everything on both of them.

I really love your kenner style customs. I've been wanting to tackle a Bom Vimdin much like yours, but the head sculpt still eludes my skillset. Buying the original and making a head cast is prohibitive with the price he fetches online. That figure came out during my decade long hiatus from SW collecting and customizing ao I missed him on the pegs.

Thanks for posting all of yours in the gallery. I check it out often for customizing inspiration.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This chart was posted in the vintage section, so thought I'd toss it in here as well - shows all the Kenner figures and what style articulation they use for the head, good customizing resource for swapping parts! ;)

f5168eda-5c60-4514-8bc2-3f68ba2321b6-jpeg.414467

Reaction score
View attachment 411100
Love all these recent additions, but this Gotal???? Kicks. ***!!!!

Reaction score
And a ProCustoms X-wing Luke with a vintage ROTJ Luke head. The procustoms figure is a great piece, but I wasn't wild about the head sculpt and hadn't planned on displaying it with the helmet on anyway (it does still fit, albeit a little stretched). So I switched it out for vintage ROTJ Luke. I had one with the typical nose paint rub, but I did a fair job match/patch on it.

IMG_7681.jpgIMG_7682.jpg

IMG_7922.jpgIMG_7923.jpgIMG_7924.jpg

Reaction score
Darthpete- great job fixing his nose! I agree completely, I really prefer the original Luke head on the ProCustom body.

I see you also perfected the original Boba look. Feels right out of 1983.

I love that this thread keeps getting some traction.

Is your Leia a new retro with a dress from an earlier SW line? Her dress looks familiar, but I can't place it.

Last question: which Chewie did you use in this picture? I like what he adds to this vintage scene.

Reaction score
Darthpete- great job fixing his nose! I agree completely, I really prefer the original Luke head on the ProCustom body.

I see you also perfected the original Boba look. Feels right out of 1983.

I love that this thread keeps getting some traction.

Is your Leia a new retro with a dress from an earlier SW line? Her dress looks familiar, but I can't place it.

Last question: which Chewie did you use in this picture? I like what he adds to this vintage scene.
Thank you sir!
The Leia is a retro collection figure, but the dress is from the POTF2 Leia two pack. It's a bit of a struggle to get on, and requires some futzing with tweezers around the sleeves, but I've always liked the result. Full disclosure and credit where it's due; that's a recipe I stole from someone else somewhere else on the net, that I saw like 15 years ago.

The Chewie is the Armor up figure from the Force Awakens line. A really excellent sculpt. All due respect to the vintage figure, this one just got stuck there and I as well liked what he brought to the display.

Reaction score
Thank you sir!
The Leia is a retro collection figure, but the dress is from the POTF2 Leia two pack. It's a bit of a struggle to get on, and requires some futzing with tweezers around the sleeves, but I've always liked the result. Full disclosure and credit where it's due; that's a recipe I stole from someone else somewhere else on the net, that I saw like 15 years ago.

The Chewie is the Armor up figure from the Force Awakens line. A really excellent sculpt. All due respect to the vintage figure, this one just got stuck there and I as well liked what he brought to the display.
Aaaah yes...Leia POTF2 two pack! I knew I recognized it. It's a great idea for a retro custom. I'm most likely gonna steal it too.

Reaction score
I decided to try and kitbash my way to the last 17 POTF line.

I broke down and purchased a Stan Solo Imperial Gunner than made a mold of his helmet.

I then took the limbs from an ATST driver and put them on a POTF2 Ponda Boba torso.

He's more high gloss than I wanted, which I'll correct when I have the time, but he fits in nicely to a vintage display.

He's the one on the left.20220516_175323.jpg20220516_175032.jpg

Reaction score
I'm still working on filling out my Cantina scene and put together this version of Myo. In the spirit of Kenner style vintage figures, I roughly used his modern line clothing colors but chose a more vintage look for his skin tone.

20220526_054914.jpg20220526_054759.jpg

Reaction score
Those are great, the Myo is a fantastic OT figure and the Duros is a brilliant use of parts. Really cool vintage style customs!

Reaction score
I'm calling this guy an Imperial Paratrooper. This was another parts bin kitbash.

I'm pretty happy with how clean he turned out. Used a cast of a vintage cylon raider backpack
20220527_060323.jpg20220527_060257.jpg20220527_060405.jpg

Reaction score
Oh, wow!!! That one is awesome! (y)(y) If you're just trying to get some use from spare parts you're coming up with some really nice looking combinations, can't wait to see some more!

Reaction score
Thank you Yodashizzle! My brain is strange and if I have too many parts laying around it clutters up the creativity. This helps clear out the old and free up my mind a bit.

Reaction score
I wouldn't even go so far as to call this a custom. More of a tips and tricks. I was rearranging some things and for some reason Hammerhead wound up laying next to the robe from a 2008 Indiana Jones and Ark deluxe set robe, and for some reason I just put it on him and it fit like an absolute glove. So it's been on him ever since. :D

IMG_8670.jpg

Reaction score
Robe looks awesome DP, that's a really sweet trick, sometimes seemingly simple tips are definitely worth doing, thanks for sharing, now I gotta keep my eyes open to pick up some more of that Indy fig.

Reaction score
Robe looks awesome DP, that's a really sweet trick, sometimes seemingly simple tips are definitely worth doing, thanks for sharing, now I gotta keep my eyes open to pick up some more of that Indy fig.
They actually do pop up (usually in mixed lots) with some frequency. The Ark from that set is what everyone always wants.

Reaction score
I've been on a vintage astromech customizing binge.

If I could only find a paint that looked exactly like vac metal!

With each one I've gotten a bit better on making it look as close to an original as possible, but that's the fun in building these units.

The square guy in the 2nd photo is a homage' to the 1.75" Galaxy Laser Team figures from the 80s. I wanted a few in 1/18 scale with articulation.

20220729_024934.jpg
20220729_025147.jpg