Vintage: Can I put my carded figure out in the sun to remove frosting?

Reaction score
hey good people,

i have run across a number of auctions that describe a carded figure where the figure has some frosting or mold or something, and the seller suggests to put the card in the sun for 10-15 minutes...

"PUT IT IN THE SUN AND IT WILL TAKE CARE OF THE SNOW"

i believe that is a bad idea, because i know that UV is not good for carded figures (maybe its the bubble?)...but i was wondering what other people's takes on this are.

peace,

Matt

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: flarida ]

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sharpskywalker:
hey good people,

i have run across a number of auctions that describe a carded figure where the figure has some frosting or mold or something, and the seller suggests to put the card in the sun for 10-15 minutes...

"PUT IT IN THE SUN AND IT WILL TAKE CARE OF THE SNOW"

i believe that is a bad idea, because i know that UV is not good for carded figures (maybe its the bubble?)...but i was wondering what other people's takes on this are.

peace,

Matt
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chances are, 20 minutes in the sun isn't going to hurt anything.

ron

G

i just won an auction for a figure that has mold on it. i can't see the mold in the picture, but if it is bad enough, i will definitely try the sun "technique" and get back to you.
if it does work, i wonder why so many auctions list this remedy, rather than do it themselves and increase the value of the figure?

Ty

Reaction score
My Teebo has a bit of 'frosting' on it. I have never worried about it enough to warrant any experimentation, but I highly doubt this remedy will work. All that could happen at the most is the crystals would fall off and then be at the bottom of your bubble, which would be equally unappealing..

Give it a shot though, I was going to buy a POTF B-Wing pilot the other day but didn't because it had that frosting on it's leg, and it looked really bad too...

[This message has been edited by reeyees-tessek (edited 05-14-2001).]

Reaction score
I first heard this remedy a couple years back, with the instructions not to tell anyone (there was money to be made). I heard it was the sun, too. More recently, I heard that it was the heat, not the sun, that caused the crystals to disappear. So you might want to try leaving it in your car on a hot day for a while before you expose it directly to the sun. But be careful... too much heat can warp the bubble!!

PS: Never tried it myself... never needed to.

------------------
--
Bill Cable
http://CreatureCantina.com

Reaction score
I've seen somebody remove the frost from a carded figure by putting it under a photography light for about ten minutes. The stuff was just gone, and left no residue.

I'm told the frost will not return, either.

As for the original worries, Ron is right - 20 minutes exposure to UV will yield no visible problems. The examples I've seen of UV damage have taken *weeks* of sunlight, or *months* of fluorescent light to become apparent.

-Vic.

G

The frost is due to the fact that the figure is in the wrong hands. If they are selling it then it doesnt need to be in their hands.

RYT- I was going to bid too on that bwing pilot POTF, I didnt because I was tapped on cash at the time, not because of some frost. You can remove the front with the oils of your finder tips. GEt it, just open it and wipe it off silly.

Reaction score
Yeah I actually tried this idea today and my potf empeoror became a frost free figure. Worked really great actually.

Jeff

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, everyone...

Jeff, thats brave of you! i'm glad it worked.

Matt

Reaction score
If that frosty stuff is indeed mold, direct sunlight should kill it. That's the same reason you want to hang your sheets outside to dry once in a while, because the sunlight actually disinfects them.

Reaction score
Next hot day we get i'm going to put my C9.5 ROTJ Palitoy DS Commander in the sun to try to rid him of his frosting.

Unfortunately in the UK we dont get many hot days
, I think after last weekend, summer has come and gone.

------------------
Dan Whiteley (UK)
Dannydubs@go.com

G

my figure arrived yesterday more frosted than i have ever seen a figure before. i let him tag along for the ride to work today, and when i checked at lunch time he was 99% mold free. pretty cool trick. i was worried that i was going to have to use chewy99's thumbnail trick to get it off.

Ty

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chewbacca99:
RYT- I was going to bid too on that bwing pilot POTF, I didnt because I was tapped on cash at the time, not because of some frost. You can remove the front with the oils of your finder tips. GEt it, just open it and wipe it off silly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I do very badly need a B-Wing Pilot coin
(Though I'd prefer just a carded POTF Carded figure, and a loose coin..)

Anyway, that auction has come and gone. Now that this sunlight trick is out in the open, I guess people who used to score cheapo figs with frosting won't anymore... Ah well. I'm going to put my Teebo in the light tomorrow and see what happens

Reaction score
If you live in the cold climate like the UK then all u need is a desk lamp. Just leave the carded figure under the lamp for about 10 minutes and then all frosting should disappear.

Reaction score
Result! I put my Palitoy ROTJ Death Star Commander with a heavily 'frosted' helmet (oo-er!
) under my desk lamp tonight and within 5 minutes all of the frosting had disappeared, with no side affects to the card or bubble whatsoever. I recommend this to anybody with a frosted figure. You WILL be impressed with the results.

I bought the figure off ebay last year and the seller kindly forgot to mention it was frosted (although it wasnt expensive), and when I tried to contact him he didnt return my emails. Now though it is a C9.5+ CB very nice item, whereas before I had even considered opening it, or atleast selling it (and informing the buyer, of course). I hope he reads this and chokes on his cornflakes. HA

------------------
Dan Whiteley (UK)
Dannydubs@go.com

G

When I first read this thread I was doubtful. today I put my Biker Scout in the sun for 20 minutes. The white frost that had been on his helmet disappeared but the bubble had condensation in it. I let it cool off and the figure was frost and condensation free! Thanks BHC for the great collecting tips! Also, there was no visible UV damage to the card or bubble.

G

Another trick is to open the figure and touch the frost with the oils from the skin of your fingertips. This works wonders. Duh! Lot faster then 10 minutes.

Dax

Reaction score
Thanks Chewbacca99 for the tip and you're right! I can't believe how quickly it worked. Silly people putting things in the sun when there's an easier and quicker method. I'm a little confused now though about how to get the figure back into the bubble and onto its card again. Oh well, I'm sure all will be explained in step two of this marvellous process

Dax (who is obviously a little bored at work)

Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!!!

WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

I have a 12 back DS Commander that had, and I mean "HAD" heavy frost on the helmet, but NO MORE! All it took was 10 min in lovley 108 degree Phoenix sun to take care of that little problem!

Mike SCARDS22

Reaction score
Call that a hot tip...

...heres a HOT tip. Put your yellow bubble figures out in the RAIN and all the yellowness just disappears. Amazing.

Just dont tell anyone!

------------------
Dan Whiteley (UK)
Dannydubs@go.com

[This message has been edited by dead maul (edited 05-25-2001).]

Reaction score
No, it works! I tried it!
The only thing is that the now-clear bubbles have fallen off of the soggy tattered cards. Oh well, a small price to pay.