Vintage: Are the original steel molds for the Kenner figures still around?

G

Well,
Since we all have seen a lot of first shots on ebay (mostly c-3po's) I was wondering if any original steel molds have been found, because if they have, it would be easy to fake prototypes.
Um..even if there is a mold found, what would it take to sonic weld a figure? I know Kenner/Hasbro must still have some figure's original steel mold, since Kenner did after all release 4 vintage figures in their POTF2 package (Vader, Luke Han, Chewie I think. So I think there are still some, at least maybe weapon steel mold or something, have anyone ever seen one surfaced or own one?
Just curious.

Phong

[This message has been edited by GuardiaDelEmporador (edited 07-18-2001).]

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: flarida ]

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GuardiaDelEmporador:
Well,
Since we all have seen a lot of first shots on ebay (mostly c-3po's) I was wondering if any original steel molds have been found, because if they have, it would be easy to fake prototypes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds easy, but it is not. It would take quite a bit of factory equipment to make them. Probably a 30 Ton injection molding machine, water heater for the mold, material dryer, a crane, and bulk material. Plus all of the small items to get those up and running. Plastic is injected into these molds at very high temperature and pressure in a very controlled process.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Um..even if there is a mold found, what would it take to sonic weld a figure? I know Kenner/Hasbro must still have some figure's original steel mold, since Kenner did after all release 4 vintage figures in their POTF2 package (Vader, Luke Han, Chewie I think. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They made new molds from old vintage figures. They didn't have the original molds.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>So I think there are still some, at least maybe weapon steel mold or something, have anyone ever seen one surfaced or own one?
Just curious.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Molds for bootleg figures have shown up, but that's it. No official Kenner molds have turned up.

-chris

Reaction score
I read somewhere that a lot of the figure moulds were gauged on the inside so they couldn't be used again and then dumped in the sea somewhere?

I think the toys'r'us figures were moulded off original figures and then sharpened up?

I could be wrong of course.

Greg
www.vlix.net - Now 758!

G

WOW! Amazing Chris, I didn't think that it would take that much just to fire up some figures. Incredible, no one would make money that way, not even making the rarest figures.

Hey Greg, if what you said is true, what do you say me and you fund up some money and search for those steel molds

Phong

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GregHolman:
I read somewhere that a lot of the figure moulds were gauged on the inside so they couldn't be used again and then dumped in the sea somewhere?

I think the toys'r'us figures were moulded off original figures and then sharpened up?

I could be wrong of course.

Greg
www.vlix.net - Now 758!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that story is supposedly true. Kenner had a lot of steel molds dumped in the ocean out in the Orient, where they had once been used to produce figures.

ron

Ty

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ronsalvatore:
Yes, that story is supposedly true. Kenner had a lot of steel molds dumped in the ocean out in the Orient, where they had once been used to produce figures.

ron
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Musasa.. you still got all that scuba gear I lent ya that time?

That really would be an increadible find, guarenteed one of these days something will turn up in some salvage.. why wouldn't they have just melted the things down? Sheesh..

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reeyees-tessek:

why wouldn't they have just melted the things down? Sheesh..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're heavy as heck and probably cost more to transport than they'd get to scrap them. I don't know how other Asian countries are, but cheap steel from Japan really put a hurting on the US steel industry. If it's cheap enough to manufacture and ship halfway across the planet...

Plus, they're hardened and I don't know if you can reuse steel once it's properties have been changed like that. Plus you have to take them apart to segregate the similar materials (springs, plates, hardware, pins, etc...) and that takes labor time.

Anybody who's been paid for a bag of aluminum cans knows that it's not a heck of alot of cash. In business they have to find the least expensive and legal method to do something. Out of court settlements, anyone? Even if the company is right? That's the cheaper way to solve the problem. Remember the vehicle recall example in Fight Club? :^)

Sorry for the long-windedness...

-chris

Reaction score
Tell ya what, RYT, after I'm finished raising the Titanic, I'll get to work on locating those figure molds.

------------------
Forum Moderator, BHC
musasa@collectstarwars.com

Toy karma's gonna getcha...

Reaction score
An even better story than the dumped moulds...

Aparrently, in the mid/late 80's, Palitoy rounded up all their unsold Star Wars toys, put them in containers and then buried them in a rubbish landfill in East Anglia (UK) somewhere.

Greg
www.vlix.net

Reaction score
Also, some Kenner molds were sent to the Glasslite company. The tarriffs on toys shipped into Brazil was exceedingly high then (like 100%), so it was cheaper for Kenner to ship old molds to Glasslite and let them make their own toys than to import product.

Who knows there may still be some original Kenner molds in Brazil.

Cj

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GuardiaDelEmporador:
Well,
Since we all have seen a lot of first shots on ebay (mostly c-3po's)
[This message has been edited by GuardiaDelEmporador (edited 07-18-2001).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,
my believe is these prototypes mainly are ordinary c3pos stripped of their original paint, notice that most of these C3POs have ordinary markings.
Kim