Vegas Collectors Board #20: A Star Wars Hot Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
WOW..We finally finished Vegas #19...it took twice as long as ever before, so with Star Wars Concert, SDCC & Celebration V, I hope we can get to lucky #21 by September...

Well guys please keep talking...

Reaction score
Re: Vegas Collectors Board #20: A Star Wars Hot Su

DarthJaq said:
Tusken_Raiders said:
Got my tickets for Star Wars in concert...I was happy to get them since I bought handicap seating. Since this is Star Wars, the prices are $25, $35, $55, $85 & $125...but the majority are the $85 ticket prices.

This is how it goes:
$25 - 2 Sections
$35 - 2 Sections
$55 - 5 Sections
$85 - 16 Sections
$125 - 3 Sections

Well I did get $35 tickets at 4pm...and I cant wait. Is anyone else going?
I thought about going, but I would rather save the money for C5 and I heard that the Concert wasn't as good as it looks.

What, your not going?! Hmmm..

Well thats cool that your going to CV...Is Sith702?

Hey DJ, did your wife friend request me on XBOX? Is she bluerazzberry???

Reaction score

inferior10 said:
I was able get tickets for the family(actually it's a gift from the in-laws). We're goring to the early show, I can't wait for this, it should be pretty cool.
Did this sell out? I know we were unable to get the section we wanted so I assume there was a good turnout for tickets.
Thats cool Inferior, maybe we can meet before the show...I know Darthbill, Max & myself are all going to the early show...

But we should try to make a meet, maybe in April...

Reaction score

Tusken_Raiders said:

Nah, my friend went when it was in SoCal and he said it wasn't that impressive. The video was awesome, but it just wasn't what he was expecting. Maybe he overhyped it for himself.

Yeah, the mrs and I are going to C5, along w/Lew and his Wife, my friend Duke and his woman, and another friend of Lew's. I have a timeshare so I as able to get a 4 room condo for the week about 20mins frm the convention center.

Yeah, that's her, since she's been unemployed since school go out last year, she's discovered the joys of Xbox, specifically Modern Warfare 2.

Reaction score

DarthJaq said:
Tusken_Raiders said:

Nah, my friend went when it was in SoCal and he said it wasn't that impressive. The video was awesome, but it just wasn't what he was expecting. Maybe he overhyped it for himself.

Yeah, the mrs and I are going to C5, along w/Lew and his Wife, my friend Duke and his woman, and another friend of Lew's. I have a timeshare so I as able to get a 4 room condo for the week about 20mins frm the convention center.

Yeah, that's her, since she's been unemployed since school go out last year, she's discovered the joys of Xbox, specifically Modern Warfare 2.

Well timeshares come in handy...Its cool you all are going.

I was wondering why was playing so much. All I play is MW2.

Well I haven't heard anything bad about the concert, as a matter fact PBS had a documentary on the concert and it looked great, that's what really sold me.

Reaction score

Comic con is almost completely sold out...Thursday-Saturday are sold out, Sunday is 90%.

Reaction score

I used to love going to Comic-Con but I stopped about 9 years ago because in my eyes it turned into something else. To much Hollywood and too many "rockstars". It was fun when you didn't have to wait hours just to meet an artist, writer or actor. Now I may be way off base as I haven't been back in such a long time. I see the coverage on G4 every year and it seems to be less and less about comics and all about Hollywood. They featured movies that had nothing to do with comics.
It was fun when you could just wander around all day, sit in on a couple panels, maybe catch a flick, then rumage through the dealer tables searching for that one elusive back issue you wanted. From what I've seen and heard those day seem to over. Sorry for the rant.

Reaction score

inferior10 said:
I used to love going to Comic-Con but I stopped about 9 years ago because in my eyes it turned into something else. To much Hollywood and too many "rockstars". It was fun when you didn't have to wait hours just to meet an artist, writer or actor. Now I may be way off base as I haven't been back in such a long time. I see the coverage on G4 every year and it seems to be less and less about comics and all about Hollywood. They featured movies that had nothing to do with comics.
It was fun when you could just wander around all day, sit in on a couple panels, maybe catch a flick, then rumage through the dealer tables searching for that one elusive back issue you wanted. From what I've seen and heard those day seem to over. Sorry for the rant.
You're right, Comic-con has gone the way of pop culture. Though if you're basing Comic-con on the G4 coverage, then you're only seeing the worst of it. They only do the big panels and there is always a crowd around their booth. There are still panels and artists you can see without breaking your neck. Comic-con is what you make of it. If you want to do the Hollywood stuff, it's there. if your thing is comic books and dealer booths, that's still there too. They have so much going on there, that nobody has the same experience. I go with a group of people every year and some days we only see each other at meals. We're all there together on the same days, but doing completely different things.

Reaction score

Well said DJ...SDCC has become very pop-culture, but isnt that the point? Comics, movies, toys are all part of pop-culture...The problem is hollywood has taken notice of SDCC and now it attracts those fans, which annoy me, but it does add to the cache of con...

However like DJ said, we all do different things, I don't think none of us actually hang out we each other the whole day...As for me I need go to more panels, but there such a pain to get into...but Im looking forward to it...The only thing that sucks that Celebration V is so close to the dates of con that I will missed CV...

Reaction score

Yeah, the panels are getting a little ridiculous to get into. I think they need to simulcast them in another room or do replays of them later at night in case you missed it.

Reaction score

I'm glad to hear that Comic-Con is still a fun time. I'm really glad it's not the cluster f*** that I've been told it is.
What meant by to Hollywood wasn't a dig at pop culture. I'm all for that but what I meant was that I've heard that getting a room close to the Con has been made very difficult due to the high Hollywood presence. That studios are buying large banks of rooms and things like that. Making it difficult for us little people to have easy access to the Con. The last time I went I think the holel we stayed at was something like 15-18 blocks away. My poor ageing knees can't take that anymore on top of the Con itself.
But in light of all this, I REALLY hope to get my family there in the next couple years. I want my wife and kids to experence that at least once.

Reaction score

Well Im not sure where your hearing that hollywood is buying up all the rooms...I have a room 2 blocks from con, but what I know is that a lot of con goers are reserving their rooms months in advance. I reserved my room in September and had to pay for it as well at that point.
The problem is that hotels are raising their rates dramatically, I know last year I paid $280 a night, now for the same hotel its $360, and that hotels want you to rent out the entire 4 days. I know that the Hilton, Omni, Hard Rock and Marriott are all doing this. The hotels a few miles out are not doing this (at least not this year)...

Reaction score

I"ve stopped bothering with trying to get a room close to the convention center. I stay about 20 minutes away and just drive in early. Get convention parking, so you have somewhere to drop off your stuff during the day or sleep if you want. But they've gotten wise to it. Motel 6 is starting to charge $70 a night almost. I don't even think Vegas area Motel 6 charge that much on weekends. It's till well less than half of a closer room.

Reaction score

Well I have to get a room that close...When your rolling around in a wheelchair its hard getting around. Also, Im not a morning person, you and Sith get there WAAAAY to early for me. When I was going with DB and Jane I was more up for getting up, but not with my family.

Reaction score

Tusken_Raiders said:
Well I have to get a room that close...When your rolling around in a wheelchair its hard getting around. Also, Im not a morning person, you and Sith get there WAAAAY to early for me. When I was going with DB and Jane I was more up for getting up, but not with my family.
I understand why you get a closer room. I would love to stay closer myself, but I think the last time we stayed near the convention center it was like $1200. that's way too much for a room i'm only doing my 3 "S"'s in.

Reaction score

DarthJaq said:
Tusken_Raiders said:
I understand why you get a closer room. I would love to stay closer myself, but I think the last time we stayed near the convention center it was like $1200. that's way too much for a room i'm only doing my 3 "S"'s in.
True dat hommie...But didnt your wife love sleeping in??? or Does she roll with you guys at 5am?

Reaction score

Tusken_Raiders said:
True dat hommie...But didnt your wife love sleeping in??? or Does she roll with you guys at 5am?
she still does, just in the car. she usually sleeps in the car until after the doors open so she can just stroll in and we find her later.

Reaction score
Re: Ahh vacation and how about that VIP package??

Well back from a much needed vacation - seems like a month, but only a couple weeks - at least I feel refreshed and ready to make the next push until the next vacation.

How about those VIP packages - pretty high dollar, but if you are going alone it is probably worth at least the first level $350 that $750 while I am sure most people can find a way to justify it, it better come with a front seat and priority everything (which it seems to say, but who knows). Either way to even buy 2 first level passes is rather expensive and would rather use that money on the Disney and Universal tickets.

Reaction score
Re: Ahh vacation and how about that VIP package??

Gambler said:
Well back from a much needed vacation - seems like a month, but only a couple weeks - at least I feel refreshed and ready to make the next push until the next vacation.

How about those VIP packages - pretty high dollar, but if you are going alone it is probably worth at least the first level $350 that $750 while I am sure most people can find a way to justify it, it better come with a front seat and priority everything (which it seems to say, but who knows). Either way to even buy 2 first level passes is rather expensive and would rather use that money on the Disney and Universal tickets.
Yeah, funk that noise. If I was going alone I might get the low level VIP, but there is no way I could justify the $750. You can meet Dave Filoni at any fan club breakfast.

Reaction score
Re: Booorrrrring!

maxthesilent said:
Yawn. SS next 12" is another clone, the 501st.
Thats funny that you say that...We all knew that SSC would be releasing the skittles of clones, but the 501st is the best one of them...I will be adding this one and then Im done with them clones, unless we get the commanders Cody, Bly, etc.

But with so many Pre-OT stuff coming, Im trying to focus of OT only...I love that Greedo and Hamerhead are coming...I want Ponda & Dr. Evazan next.

Reaction score

It wasn't aimed so much at the 501st clone rather just my boredom with all the clones in general. There's many more characters than just clones.

My next foray into the collecting dark side comes in the form of SWS 12 ESB prints they're doing over the next year.

Reaction score

maxthesilent said:
It wasn't aimed so much at the 501st clone rather just my boredom with all the clones in general. There's many more characters than just clones.

My next foray into the collecting dark side comes in the form of SWS 12 ESB prints they're doing over the next year.

Yeah, Im bored of the clones to...but dammit Sideshow always seems to make me want to buy them, ie. Yoda/Clone Trooper PF.

Reaction score

I have never got what the big draw and popularity of the clones is/are. There are so many more interesting and detailed characters in the franchise yet we've gotten, what, nine clones/stormtroopers now and only one member of the cantina (with a second on deck)? Variety will keep the line interesting and with SS 1/6 figs now above $100 each, I've broken the full set rule due to it just costing too much.

Reaction score

Im more of a Stormtrooper fan...I bought the regular stormy and 2 of the Sandtroopers (with the third on pre-order)...I do like clones, but I only have the Shocktrooper and Utupau...I thought about the AOTC and other ROTS clones, but like you said at near/higher than $100 I can't them all.

I am very happy with the Cantina aliens in the horizon, and I do hope for a few more Jabba Palace aliens...

Reaction score
Hey Fellas

Well Comic Con is 90 days away...Im kind of getting excited...Anyways, anyone want to have a meet? Its been about 7 months since the last one...just making a suggestion...

Reaction score
Re: Hey Fellas

Tusken_Raiders said:
WOW, this finally came out...The AFX Star Wars Unleashed two-pack mini busts...I dont buy GG (as much) anymore, but for those who still do....
http://www.shopafx.com/stwaexfounmi.html
I ordered it so long ago that the credit card I had it on expired and I just never bothered to renew it. I'll still pick this up, but it's AFX we're talking about, when have their GG items not gone on a huge clearance?

I've been weeding through my collection lately. Too much stuff, too little space. I found some boxed LEGO sets in the garage and sold them on ebay this week. Cleared $500. That's enough to buy my GG stuff for the rest of the year. Maybe next year too with the delays they have

Reaction score

Tusken_Raiders said:
Well Im not sure where your hearing that hollywood is buying up all the rooms...I have a room 2 blocks from con, but what I know is that a lot of con goers are reserving their rooms months in advance. I reserved my room in September and had to pay for it as well at that point.
The problem is that hotels are raising their rates dramatically, I know last year I paid $280 a night, now for the same hotel its $360, and that hotels want you to rent out the entire 4 days. I know that the Hilton, Omni, Hard Rock and Marriott are all doing this. The hotels a few miles out are not doing this (at least not this year)...
Miguel, how many nights are you staying at that price ($360)? Thats a real ripp. They could also be raisng the rates due to the economy, thus making up for "slow" months?

Reaction score

CrimsonFett said:
Tusken_Raiders said:
Miguel, how many nights are you staying at that price ($360)? Thats a real ripp. They could also be raisng the rates due to the economy, thus making up for "slow" months?
Well Im not sure if they are taking advantage of people due to the economy, I think its more the fact its comic con, similar to Vegas during CES, Comdex & other major conventions that come here...Also, like I said, for me to get the room I had to reserve it from Wednesday to Sunday. But Im going with family so three others are helping pay the freakin bill.

But I tried to get something cheaper...but honestly everything was sold out. I did find the Bayside Hilton (the new one next to the convention), it was $465 (plus $30 for parking)..thats close to $500 a night.

Reaction score

I know this a week late in posting, but did any of you get last week's issue of Entertainment Weekly??? It has an great article in regards Empire Strikes Back, which shows unseen pictures from the movie and the up coming book, 'The Making of The Empire Strikes Back'..

Reaction score

Pics of up coming busts...I must admit, these are cool..

Figrin D'an

4-LOM

Han Maquette

CW Commander Bly

Reaction score

I like 'em. 4-LOM is probably the only one that we'll see this year. Maybe the Bly. there is way too much catching up that GG needs to do. Unless they all hit in June/July. That will suck, a lot. I mean it will be like Christmas, unfortunately so will the CC bill.

Reaction score

*Knocks and slowly opens door making an erie creaking sound*...Guys?...I'm back.

Reaction score

Gun_Runner said:
*Knocks and slowly opens door making an erie creaking sound*...Guys?...I'm back.
Well who is this??? Merc? Well, Im glad your back...

Reaction score

Tusken_Raiders said:
Gun_Runner said:
Well who is this??? Merc? Well, Im glad your back...

Thank you. It's been a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.