Vandor Playset

Reaction score
This set is interesting, but just brings to mind missed opportunities. I.e.:

Definitely like this concept, and I LOVE how the material used to make the playlet has that Palitoy Death Star thickness.

However…. Give us a location we actually care about (Death Star, Cantina, Cloud City, Hoth Rebel Base, Jabba's Palace, Emperor's Throne Room, etc…)
Agreed. When I saw this playset @ Target recently, I thought it was cool, and didn't even mind the cardboard, since it looks thick/sturdy - and since the set brings to mind the old-skool SW playsets I grew up with back in the day. However, since I don't have any real emotional attachment to Solo: A SW Story film (which I haven't even seen yet) I don't really care about this environment, so have no plans to buy the set - even after I see the film.

However, I would be 100% onboard for similar playsets from the OT. A large-scale Death Star & Cantina from ANH would be especially great. However, it would also be nice to see a large-scale Jabba's palace (if they did this with a trapdoor into the Rancor pit that would be amazing), Hoth, Cloud City, etc.

Reaction score
In agree that it's tough to shell out that much for a flight of fancy, rather than something evoking childhood memories. The reason mot of those OT location are is=conic, is because they offered an emotional connection to them. Why would anyone feel compelled to buy a "Vandor" playset? Or anything from Solo for that matter. I don't think any location for the new movies will be as impactful as say Lars Homestead, the Carbon Freeze Chamber, Throne Room Echo Base/Hoth Battle, etc.

Reaction score
Although they'd still be iconic and cool, it would be a real shame if Hasbro didn't use full plastic for any OT playsets. I think they'd be a letdown any other way. They deserve to be sturdy and well-sculpted. I think this play board works because it was an easy risk for Hasbro and points directly at kids, not adults, so I get it. Just too pricey for me so far.

Reaction score
Why would anyone feel compelled to buy a "Vandor" playset?
Maybe resorted to just vehicles would have been better. Anyway, I feel that if Solo had been rewritten with the sort of Western Frontier motifs, we might have gotten locations which would have been more compelling in the sense it would have been something the older generation could relate to (not so much a retelling of the Cantina mind you). But here is a blast of the past to illustrate the point, using playsets constructed in a similar fashion (which BTW will seem awfully familiar):

Another example:

Reaction score
Funny that cafe is the basis for the Creature Cantina playset from Kenner and those figures and horses were repurposed for the Kenner Indiana Jones toys. Can't say they weren't thrifty back then, but I think their future playsets were way cooler, though this has a TON of charm.

Reaction score
Although they'd still be iconic and cool, it would be a real shame if Hasbro didn't use full plastic for any OT playsets. I think they'd be a letdown any other way. They deserve to be sturdy and well-sculpted. I think this play board works because it was an easy risk for Hasbro and points directly at kids, not adults, so I get it. Just too pricey for me so far.
My definite preference is for SW playsets that are full plastic as well. However, since no real decent ones have come out in the modern line, I guess I'd be OK with some retro-like playsets w/cardboard back-drops - as long as they more elaborate than the '70's/'80's ones w/cardboard back-drops - and also as long as the cardboard quality used was similar to what we see in this Vandor playset - i.e., sturdy & laminated.

Reaction score
One playset in particular was the 2009 Enterprise Bridge that was just a plastic mat and "collectible" bridge pieces. I never did complete it due to distribution and canceled figures. Plus the fact there were no surrounding walls, just all console type stuff. I mean seriously...

I get it, they were trying to be frugal and offer extras at the same time.

Reaction score
One playset in particular was the 2009 Enterprise Bridge that was just a plastic mat and "collectible" bridge pieces. I never did complete it due to distribution and canceled figures. Plus the fact there were no surrounding walls, just all console type stuff. I mean seriously...

I get it, they were trying to be frugal and offer extras at the same time.
Did you see the prototype images for what the playmates Enterprise was going to be? It looked superb and would be probably been the best enterprise playset yet. Shame it didn't come to pass.

Reaction score
In case you hadn't, I've tracked both the bridge and the original concept for the transporter room too.

Reaction score
The slide feature is a nifty thing, especially for storage. The only thing slightly critical is the open flooring when open....I'd need to buy the right tablecloth to match the playset's décor. :D

Reaction score
The slide feature is a nifty thing, especially for storage. The only thing slightly critical is the open flooring when open....I'd need to buy the right tablecloth to match the playset's décor. :D
That's where the playmat we eventually got would've come in handy, lol!

Reaction score
I really wish 3D printers would come down, this stuff would be much easier to build with one. Right!? :grin:

Reaction score
In case you hadn't, I've tracked both the bridge and the original concept for the transporter room too.
Wow that is really cool, totally harkens back to the OG Playmates Next Generation bridge playset that could connect to the transporter room. Looks like a totally modern reiteration of that. Sucks they didn't make it though, I really liked the Phaser toy they came out with, but I never ended up buying it. Thought it was cool it was vac-metal.

Can anyone who owns the Vandor set confirm if the sliding gate area has Force Link sounds as well? I've watched a few reviews and no one seems to go over there for sounds.

Reaction score
This would have been so great! What did come out was still cool though and fun to put together. Real shame the final pieces never made it out.

Reaction score
Has this been on sale at any Targets yet?
it's available at my local target.

Once I get some of the other wants off of my list I think I may get this set. Got gifted some shelves and they may have room to display it without half of it facing the back of a shelf.

Reaction score
Been wondering about that, too. It seems that Wal-Mart is just slow in every regard. I'm actually really starting to like Target.
Yeah Target has been having a better track record with getting their exclusives in. I swear the transformers G1 reissues should have went to them and not Walmart.

Reaction score
I just thought of this - Do we even have a thread for the Kessel playset?

Out of the two, it may not be the better looking one, but I'm actually pretty interested in it if for no other reason than it's Kessel, a name we've heard since the beginning but are only now finally seeing on screen. In fact maybe they should have gone the other way and made this $50 rather than $40 to be the more expensive of the two, so they could put a little more into it.

Reaction score
Yeah the I do. Han in the Kessel set is a bit disappointing. A kit bashed upcoming Becket head on repainted/retooled force link 2.0 Lando Skiff guard body would been better, imho. Now I wish I kept the Lando Skiff guard from the Sarlac bp that was painted w/ way too pale skin for a Becket custom now

Reaction score
Ignore that 1st sentence. I have idea what auto correct did. PLEASE ADMIN. BRING BACK EDITING OPTION TO ALL THREADS. BACK TO BACK POSTS W/ CORRECTIONS ARE SO ANNOYING AND PADPOSTING.

Reaction score
Yeah it doesn't really make a lot of sense why they chose the figures they did to go with these sets. If they made exclusive figures that people would actually want, they could sell some of these sets to people who weren't even necessarily interested in the sets. As it is, it's like, 'oh, that's a pretty cool set, maybe I'll get it. Oh, wow, I get Chewie with goggles and another Han, yay :rolleyes:'. Imagine if they'd made the Kessel set come with, oh, I don't know, a Kessel guard, and then have L3 included with Lando in the 2-pack.

Reaction score
Just got the Mission to Vandor 4-pack. So with the addition of Weazel, Han and the Range trooper, my set is starting to look pretty good. I'm excited for the announcement of Beckett, Val and Rio. Add those and another Range Trooper and I'll consider this display complete!

Reaction score
Finally got this and assembled it, took longer than I expected and certain parts of the instruction were NOT clear whatsoever, nor were a few of the picture examples where the tabs looked much wider. Still, now assembled, it feels sturdy and can be easily transported without worry.

Just a heads up, the reason I bought it was because in the Target X-Mas catalog they have out, it's $34.99. It came with a card too where if you spend $50 on toys, you get a $10 gift card.

Reaction score
Hasbro could technically remake the Palitoy Death Star playset with updated deco and more features if they really cared enough to do so

Reaction score
Hasbro could technically remake the Palitoy Death Star playset with updated deco and more features if they really cared enough to do so
I'd hope they'd give us a legit plastic one rather than go that route, it's not 1978 anymore, though it WAS an amazing playset. Still probably the finest representation of the Death Star to date.

Reaction score
I'd hope they'd give us a legit plastic one rather than go that route, it's not 1978 anymore, though it WAS an amazing playset. Still probably the finest representation of the Death Star to date.
Isn't it like the only representation of the Death Star? I guess LEG counts but as far as our scale goes there really isn't anything to compare to the original.

Reaction score
Isn't it like the only representation of the Death Star? I guess LEG counts but as far as our scale goes there really isn't anything to compare to the original.
I like to think of the BB-8 playset as my Death Star playset.

There is the papercraft playset of the Emporer's throne room. It seems to scale well for 3.75" figures. It's OK for display, but not very sturdy for kids to play with.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-Blueprints-Classic-Deathstar-Deluxe/48988756

Reaction score
No we got a few others, namely the Kenner playset, of which the Palitoy model is NOT. 2 totally different vintage playsets, the Palitoy was only released in Europe. The Kenner playset was cool and had a few of the iconic environments, but they were just figuring things out back then. I think there are far better playsets from other toy lines that came a bit later. The Kenner chasm swing and detention block from POTF2 were kinda cool, but not the best of course and not meant to be put together. So I find the Palitoy to be the coolest and most accurate representation with shape and areas.

Reaction score
As a "representation" of the Death Star, it was terrible. To me, even through the forgiving eyes of a young child, it didn't look anything like any part of the death star from the movie.

As a toy, though, it was terrific and a source of hours and hours of fun.

Reaction score
As a "representation" of the Death Star, it was terrible. To me, even through the forgiving eyes of a young child, it didn't look anything like any part of the death star from the movie.

As a toy, though, it was terrific and a source of hours and hours of fun.
I'm surprised you don't think so. It "looks" like the Death Star. It's got the iconic curve, it doesn't look like the Kenner "tower" for lack of a better term, which looked nothing like the actual Death Star. I have seen one fan put together like 10 of them to form a half dome which did look pretty cool, but I still think the Palitoy is the best action figure playset representation of the DS yet. The paper craft one mentioned above heavily took its cue from the Palitoy for the Throne Room. Keep in mind the Palitoy one is a representation of ANH only. Though it didn't define it's "areas" as well as it could have, it still has a corridor (detention block), a trap door area down into a trash compactor area, which has a sliding cardboard wall to simulate the compactor (very clever, even for back then) and has the red room that stands in for the Death Star terminal area that R2 accesses.

Reaction score
I know we're getting off topic here, but I always wondered if it was possible to take, say, 6 vintage Death Stars and put them together in a circle, and what that would look like.

Reaction score
I know we're getting off topic here, but I always wondered if it was possible to take, say, 6 vintage Death Stars and put them together in a circle, and what that would look like.
Yeah, that's what I mentioned above, I saw someone actually do it, it was more than 6 though I'm pretty sure. Looked awesome! Wish I had the pic...

Reaction score
Wal Mart now has a page up for the Kessel Mine Playset. It ain't in stock yet and it will cost about $40.00.

It's officialy titled Solo: A Star Wars Story Force Link 2.0 Kessel Mine Escape Walmart Exclusive Playset.

I thought people might like to know.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, been wondering if this would ever see the light of day. We all know how Wal-Mart is with exclusives. Maybe it took Hasbro taking a few away for them to learn their lesson.

I remember when these were announced, Vandor was listed as $39.99 and this one as $29.99. Honestly I don't know if it's worth $40. It won't be something I go out of my way to get, but if I happen to have a little extra cash laying around when it comes out, I might pick one up.

Oh yeah I remembered I took a couple pics of my Vandor setup:

Doesn't look like much of an action scene with all the 5POA, but hey, it's a cardboard playset!