Vandor Playset

GNT

Reaction score
Yakface have a rumour report up of a new Han Solo movie playset with a blurry picture attached, click here to check it out.

After some research on new intel gathered recently, there appears to be at least one new playset from Solo: A Star Wars Story hitting shelves soon. Details are sketchy (i.e. blurry) but based on the terrain, it looks to be Vandor themed with some sort of faux conveyex feature. It includes 1 figure (possibly Vandor Han or Chewie – both of which were revealed in the Force Link app update) and is priced at $44.99.
Thoughts on this news?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Personally not interested in that set. TBH, not much really stand out from Solo for playsets that I'd want compared to all the other movies.
Maybe the train sequence if done right.

Reaction score
Personally not interested in that set. TBH, not much really stand out from Solo for playsets that I'd want compared to all the other movies.
Maybe the train sequence if done right.
The set shown is the ‘train sequence’ on Vandor. The Conveyex is the train vehicle carrying the Coaxium.

Reaction score
As much as I wish for an AT-Hauler, it might look a bit out of scale against the set. I suppose I'll settle for a couple of Viper Droids instead,.....not much to ask from Hasbro on the latter, right? :D

Reaction score
I really hope that this playset does well and encourages Hasbro to take another stab at playsets again with a focus on key locales from the OT like a Cantina, Death Star, Hoth, Bespin and Endor sets

Reaction score
Ever since the modern line began in 1995, Hasbro has complained that SW playsets are too expensive to produce. I.e., they're saying the production cost/tooling/etc. is expensive & the price point will be higher than fans/collectors are wiling to -pay, so stores don't want them on the shelves due to the cost. I understand this completely.

However, because of this we have never gotten any modern OT Death Star/Hoth/Dagobah/Jabba's Palace/Creature Cantina, etc. sets.

However, Hasbro does think that producing that TLJ set last year (which didn't sell well, and went on clearance in many places) and this possibly forthcoming Han Solo set will sell?! WTF?! It seems obvious to me that if any playsets were to sell, it would be the OT ones - since those environments are a lot more iconic/memorable than any from the newer films. Just my .02

Reaction score
Ever since the modern line began in 1995, Hasbro has complained that SW playsets are too expensive to produce. I.e., they're saying the production cost/tooling/etc. is expensive & the price point will be higher than fans/collectors are wiling to -pay, so stores don't want them on the shelves due to the cost. I understand this completely.

However, because of this we have never gotten any modern OT Death Star/Hoth/Dagobah/Jabba's Palace/Creature Cantina, etc. sets.

However, Hasbro does think that producing that TLJ set last year (which didn't sell well, and went on clearance in many places) and this possibly forthcoming Han Solo set will sell?! WTF?! It seems obvious to me that if any playsets were to sell, it would be the OT ones - since those environments are a lot more iconic/memorable than any from the newer films. Just my .02

I think Hasbro needs to listen to the fans that have been long suggested a series of modular playsets that are packed with an army building figure of some kind depending on the local. for instance make a series of interlocking pieces for fans to create their own Death Star world, the figures could be along of the lines of Stormtroopers, Generic Imperial Officers etc. for Hoth they could make the sets be able to build the rebel base and the figures could be different Hoth Rebel Troopers and Imperial Snow Troopers. Endor could be components to build the Endor bunker and figures could be Endor Rebels, Ewoks, Stormtroopers, Biker Scouts, Imperial Officers etc. the Cantina could be repacks of classic Cantina patrons, Sandtroopers etc.

Reaction score
I think Hasbro needs to listen to the fans that have been long suggested a series of modular playsets that are packed with an army building figure of some kind depending on the local. for instance make a series of interlocking pieces for fans to create their own Death Star world, the figures could be along of the lines of Stormtroopers, Generic Imperial Officers etc. for Hoth they could make the sets be able to build the rebel base and the figures could be different Hoth Rebel Troopers and Imperial Snow Troopers. Endor could be components to build the Endor bunker and figures could be Endor Rebels, Ewoks, Stormtroopers, Biker Scouts, Imperial Officers etc. the Cantina could be repacks of classic Cantina patrons, Sandtroopers etc.
Yes. Modular playsets is something I've been suggesting since the modern line began back in the '90's. Maybe something similar to the Hoth/Death Star/Cloud City "Micro Collection" sets from the 1980's, but re-designed for the 3.75" line:

https://www.starwars.com/news/making-the-galaxy-smaller-inside-kenners-micro-collection-part-2

I could see releasing a series of 4-5 small play environment every 2-3 months (or longer), which would "hook up" to form a very large playset. That way, costs could be kept down. I.e., each individual playset could be purchased & played with separately - and would be reasonably priced. However, to those who wanted the whole thing - they could buy all of the playsets & them hook them all together.

Reaction score
I think the BB8 playset probably sold better than a lot of other 'large/flagship' items. At the very least I think it did as well as a good sized ship. For me at least, my interest in getting one wained after seeing the movie. Even when my TRU was liquidating and they were down to $45.

The problem with modern playsets is for the most part, and for lack of a better word, they've sucked. The POTF2 Death Star sets were kind of meh. TPM sets were rickety and dull. AOTC's Geonosis I think was one of the better ones. ROTS's Mustafar was laughable. The Sarlaac and Lars Homestead sets while excellent IMO, were over priced for the time and crammed with repacks.

They just need to do them right. Now if I could just get Hasbro on the phone. ;)

Reaction score
I think the BB8 playset probably sold better than a lot of other 'large/flagship' items. At the very least I think it did as well as a good sized ship. For me at least, my interest in getting one wained after seeing the movie. Even when my TRU was liquidating and they were down to $45.

The problem with modern playsets is for the most part, and for lack of a better word, they've sucked. The POTF2 Death Star sets were kind of meh. TPM sets were rickety and dull. AOTC's Geonosis I think was one of the better ones. ROTS's Mustafar was laughable. The Sarlaac and Lars Homestead sets while excellent IMO, were over priced for the time and crammed with repacks.

They just need to do them right. Now if I could just get Hasbro on the phone. ;)
I think Hasbro needs to go back to it's roots and give us a playset similar to the old G.I. Joe Headquarters from the 80's. now that was a playset. I have 2 myself and I'm working on customizing one of them to work for a Star Wars style base

Reaction score
I think Hasbro needs to go back to it's roots and give us a playset similar to the old G.I. Joe Headquarters from the 80's. now that was a playset. I have 2 myself and I'm working on customizing one of them to work for a Star Wars style base
That would work best as a Haslab project.

I'll have to get a good look at the playset before I make much judgement on it. Would be cool if it was like the old kenner sets like the yoda hut,etc.

Reaction score
That would work best as a Haslab project.

I'll have to get a good look at the playset before I make much judgement on it. Would be cool if it was like the old kenner sets like the yoda hut,etc.

this set was amazing and can definitely work as a Clone base, Imperial base or ragtag rebel base. the computer console works well for tactical display screens. the jail cell can be converted to be an electro-cell with just a few adjustments, the repair bays and such can be redone as troop quarters, or holo-projection rooms.

I too would love to see Hasbro re-introduce the original Yoda's Hut as well as the rest of the Hoth sets like the Attack Base, Turret/Probot, Cantina etc.

Reaction score

this set was amazing and can definitely work as a Clone base, Imperial base or ragtag rebel base. the computer console works well for tactical display screens. the jail cell can be converted to be an electro-cell with just a few adjustments, the repair bays and such can be redone as troop quarters, or holo-projection rooms.

I too would love to see Hasbro re-introduce the original Yoda's Hut as well as the rest of the Hoth sets like the Attack Base, Turret/Probot, Cantina etc.
One thing too about the Yoda set only figure pegs were on the "duel" stands those were separate and would be cheap money to retool I would think

Reaction score

Regarding the BB-8 playset, Hasbro made a tactical error in making a playset that could transform from half a BB-8 into a playset. They ended up with a mediocre BB-8 and a mediocre playset. I think they could have done a much better design had they not been limited to the confines of half a BB-8.

Reaction score

I meant that I hope the new playsets are similar. That GI Joe set is pretty dope but I don't know that Wal Mart will allow the shelf space. If you go the Haslab route we could get a pretty awesome large playset.

Reaction score
I meant that I hope the new playsets are similar. That GI Joe set is pretty dope but I don't know that Wal Mart will allow the shelf space. If you go the Haslab route we could get a pretty awesome large playset.
Yes - lack of shelf space is a huge issue. I could maybe see TRU carrying this (even towards the end of the store's life, i.e. in the past several years) since they had a lot more shelf space than Wal-mart/Target. However, now that they're gone the only big box retail stores that carry toys devote very little shelf space to SW - even when new movies are released.

Reaction score
I so wanted that Joe set when I was big into Clones, but never could get it for the price I felt it was worth.

Reaction score
It would be awesome if they made the trail. Great sequence! The train also reminds me of playing the Ord Mantell train level on N64 as a kid.

Reaction score
Agree with all of this. The POTF2 Death Star & Endor/Hoth playsets were awful. Way too small, cheaply constructed, with almost 0 play value. What a half-*****ed job by Hasbro here. Pathetic, especially since they were so incredibly inferior to the great SW playsets that came out in the '80's. I.e., you would think the '90's playsets would be superior to ones that had come out 15+ years before due to advances in technology/tooling/etc., but the opposite was true.

I never got the Prequel playsets, or the Sarlaac/Tattoine sets that came out in the 200X's. I was considering getting the Sarlaac & Tattoine sets - but, was turned off by the re-packs. They couldn't even come with exclusive figures?! I hated the cheap-o POTF2 Uncle Owen (that originally came with a movie scene set from the late '90's - which also sucked), and definitely didn't want that figure in another set. I would have preferred these sets hadn't come with figures at all - than the ones they did come with.

That being said, I somewhat regret not getting either the Sarlaac/Tattoine sets when they came out - there definitely hasn't been anything else as good as these in the modern line. At least they looked decent, even if they were overpriced for what you were getting.

Reaction score
Agree with all of this. The POTF2 Death Star & Endor/Hoth playsets were awful.
No, the Endor bunker was terrific. Looks great, tons of play value and it's one of the few toys of any kind (figure, vehicle or playset) that still holds up from that era.

Reaction score
Indeed, the bunker is great, if a little undersized.
The excellent bunker was so good, the rest of that set suffered for it though. That tree is hollow and completely devoid of paint, not even a wash. There was probably no budget left for a new Ewok catapult, so they threw in a different rock thrower thing from Dragonheart or somesuch. It's obviously an anachronistic different design, with iron bolts that the Ewoks didn't use.

This photo is really weird, hard to make out, but the different sections don't line up in a way that makes sense. I hope that's no explosion effect 'frozen in time'. That would be too limiting for display. If the set consists of a nice neutral train section, I'll get it. Could be great for any Imperial base, or game-based displays like the aforementioned SotE,or TFU II or JK:JA

Reaction score
wasn't Power Of The Force 2 kenner?
I think you're right.

If I recall correctly though, there was a grey period where Hasbro owned Kenner but they were still doing SW under the Kenner title. But I think that was around 98.

I forgot about the Endor bunker; the set as a whole wasn't great but the bunker as its own piece was pretty awesome.

Reaction score
I'm not so sure it's supposed to be the train sequence. It looks more like parts of the Imperial base on Mimban. At least the parts anyway, not sure about that arch thing.
Hopefully Friday's SDCC panel will shed some light on this set and the rest of the line teased in the last Force link update.

Reaction score
Guess they blew their display budget making the train, didn’t have time for a Viper droid, so they used a makeshift replacement.

Reaction score
Guess they blew their display budget making the train, didn’t have time for a Viper droid, so they used a makeshift replacement.
Yeah, I caught that, too.

At first I started wondering "Wait, are we going to get a 6" TBS Probe Droid?" But then I realized what it actually was. I think it was the only thing Hasbro could do to put a Probe Droid in that scene without causing a stir. Make a custom one for the diorama and you get people wondering when it's coming out, or you also run the risk of making LFL licensing upset that you're showing unapproved product.

Reaction score
Just saw pictures of both sets on Facebook. cardboard sets but useable parts

Reaction score
I like 'em, I'm not excited about the actual themes of them. I liked Solo but it didn't give me that itch to run out and get a shelf going. Maybe after the home release, when the y'know, cast, is available in figure form might help.

I really dig the art, they've got a nice vintage vibe to them. I just wish they'd done OT sets (or at least one) in this style. Or how about Jedha? It'd go nicely with the new hovertank and that swell new Stormtrooper.