UTINNIII's Unique Universes Vol 2

Utinniii

Reaction score
My next dio is coming along nicely, although slowly.
I found it really difficult to get the layers correct.

Later I realized I needed to shorten the tops for the skyline.

Here they are roughed out in their new home. I had intended 4 buildings and 2 smaller structures but to get the perspective correct, I wound up only doing 3 buildings and one structure.

Here they are in the correct order.

But I like this composition better. It is more balanced even if the middle building belongs on the end.

Now with lights

More detail added.

The doors and doorways. The doors took forever to cut out.

Mostly painted. I'll give them a black wash to darken the cracks.

Reaction score
That looks really exciting! Can't wait to see it painted and covered with greeblies!

And I say break the symmetry and go with the first layout. It looks more organic and "real" and less like a stage.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
The doors are especially gorgeous! Love the paintjob on them too!

Utinniii

Reaction score
That looks really exciting! Can't wait to see it painted and covered with greeblies!

And I say break the symmetry and go with the first layout. It looks more organic and "real" and less like a stage.
Greeblies are a'commin! I have most of them roughed out. Some of the lights are giving me grief because of weird angles.
I'll be going with the more symmetrical version. The set had 2 repeating buildings so the pattern is correct, just the building I designed wasn't the second place, but the 4th one. I also found the doors too close together.

The doors are especially gorgeous! Love the paintjob on them too!
Thanks! That is 5 different coats there. It even has a bit of texture that the photos don't convey.

Here's a pic showing one in a frame to keep it's shape and the other one all loose. I also added some more lines that I should have done before painting. Fortunately, it looks fine. I was worried that I would ruin it.

I worked on the floor and a bunch of fiddly bits. The grating for the window took awhile.
I was happy with my progress today. It is starting to look recognizable.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Time for an update!

Here is how I textured the ground. I kept pressing and bending it to get the minor cracks and then I used a dull tool to carve more design into it. After this pic was taken I painted the whole thing black and then mixed some small pebbles with water and paint and spread it on the ground. Most of it won't fall off.

I started to plaster my walls and discovered that my grout had chunked up due to age. I nearly ruined the wall.

So instead, I ground a small amount of it and added it to a gesso/ paint mixture so it was mostly smooth.

It is much smoother but still needs a bit of sanding.

I came up with a genius solution for the elbow bends in the pipes. I've tried several times to cast or make them but have never been happy with the result. This time I forced clay through a small straw to extrude the shape and bent it at a 90 degree angle. It was really easy and I am happy with the results. All one needs are straws of various diameters.

The last pic has some greeblies I'm working on.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Looking good!....definitely keeping an eye on this one!
Here's a small update!
The windows and doors are in and I added a few greeblies.

Most of the work I've done isn't noticeable but it means a lot will happen all at once.

Carl the Stormtrooper is shooing away denizens that want an early jump at securing a position in this dio.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Great weathering and HUGE display space 😮
Thanks! Too late I realized I made it more yellow than it should be but overall I am happy with it.

It will be a nice big display space considering the lack of figures Hasbro made for this location. Good thing I make customs so I can fill it out.

It's really getting there. Love the way the flooring came together.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it as well. One advantage of your paper creations is that the floor can have texture but 100% of it is flat so figures can stand anywhere. You can also edit your image once you see it put together and tweak it. I had to roughly texture it before putting the building down but I wound up shifting the building a bit so now I have lumps in inconvenient places.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Here's a small update.

I was testing the lighting of one of the street lights. I made it with the top of a mechanical Crayon/pencil, painted string and a metal disc. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I'm also happy with how the sky backlights the buildings.

I added even more greeblies. At this point, the dio should be recognizable.

Reaction score
Man, that looks fantastic! Though in the "light" picture my mind went: "I don't remember seeing a bike rack there!" But that piece found it's proper place. Everything went together very well, and all the attention to the small details paid off.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Once everything is permanently set, I will need to add more paint/sand around the edges of the buildings. That will help to prevent light spillage. I will also have to wipe it down with baby powder or something so the cracks really stand out. Right now they are kind of lost in the photos.

Here are some more lampy goodness.

I've finished 2 more styles of lights. The boxy ones took forever to get correct. The angle at the bottom was giving me grief (and not the Carga kind!)
I will add a bit more yellow cellophane to the ones by the door. The "bulb" is a piece of yellow plastic from a model frame (that holds all the pieces one needs to cut off).

In the dark.

WIPs of the lights and door control panels.

And here are a couple of reference pics.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I'm hoping to finish the buildings and have it lit and fitted into its proper shelf by the end of today.

Before I go to bed I thought I'd post my WIP.

The buildings are now glued to the floor. I will string the lights when the glue is dried.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I added the door panel controls. I like how they light up. I used clear plastic (probably from a cardback) to make the front-piece; added clear buttons; painted it and wiped off the tops of the buttons.

Reaction score
That's really great! I've been poring over set details in preparation to make my version, now it is going to look like I just copied your stunning details. Thanks a lot!

(No really, I like everything you've done here, especially the lighting aspects. Too cool!)

Utinniii

Reaction score
Oh, mine is wildly inaccurate so don't copy mine!!
But if you have any questions I probably know the answers or have shots of that detail.

There is actually a lot of play as they digitized the roofline a lot or redressed one area to look like a different street.

Utinniii

Reaction score
The bits above the door and so many other details are superb.
Thanks. I added the loose strings to the hanging tarp as it didn't make logical sense how it was hanging.
I had a lot of fun creating and finding greeblies for this dio.

And now for something completely different.

Hero Wars had an art contest so I made diorama called "Scrump's spies". Just the background is the actual submission. Eventually, I will make a few of the characters from the game and scattered weapons or masks from the vanquished.

Since I could do 2 submissions, I also quickly made a pendant of Kiera.

But I know you came for the street dio.
I reinforced the back of the buildings to anchor them to the base as well as reduced light bleed as much as possible.

I also fixed all the lights. One door had yellow lights so I used 2 layers of a Worthers' candy wrapper to make it yellow.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
That lighting is insane, especially with the varied brightness levels and colors throughout!

Utinniii

Reaction score
That lighting is insane, especially with the varied brightness levels and colors throughout!
The lights are just a battery LED string. I got them to have different brightness through several means. The brightest have the bulb sticking out through the diorama. The weaker lights are inside the walls so there is less spillage. The cylinder doorlights have white paper, weakening the lights further.
The interior lights are diffused, making sure the bulbs were away from the windows.

Here's an interior shot of the back. I used duct tape so the light wouldn't bleed out the seams.

I painted the sky and affixed the side wall. I also added the stains from the greeblies. I used brown/black for the wire consoles and red/orange/brown for the rust.

I then added a whitewash to the floor to dull the shine and highlight the cracks. I wasn't happy with the results to I rubbed corn starch into the cracks to really make them stand out.

There's a lot of detail, but most of it will be hidden by the figures and detritus. The one straight line is actually fishing line which is holding up the overhead wires I added.

Just when the diorama was fitted into it's shelf, Carl the Stormtrooper had to contend with all the Rogue One characters that wanted REVENGE for everyone else using their diorama for photo ops.

Carl eventually shooed them away. He added some of the greeblies and props that were removed when the floor was done and the dio moved. He's tired now and is enjoying seeing the labours completed so far.

Perhaps tomorrow will bring more goodies. But now it is time to sleep.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I love the *literally* "behind the scene pics" that show the construction and lighting. And that ground texture/color... I've never seen one like that, looks amazing!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Thanks! That back pic is also a cautionary tale for builders who choose foamboard over wood. There is a lot of warpage. The floor is also fairly warped but that is part of the design.

I still prefer FB over wood though. It is easier to use and doesn't need power tools.

I'm really happy with how the ground turned out. I can see doing the same technique using different colors for weird planets.
I bent the foam board all to heck to get the deep and minor creases, and carved a few more.
Next I painted the entire floor. I mixed gesso, paint and sand for the texture and spread it with a brush and pallet knife.
Since my whitewash didn't work (too diluted), I rubbed cornstarch and baby powder into the cracks and used a brush and rag to clean off parts I didn't want it. If I were to do a different color, I would use either chalk pastels for color or ground spices (far the extra bonus of smellovision!

Reaction score
Incredible work! Great to see that close up of the ground and the detail that you put into it.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I think I’ve discovered both the costume and the actor for the Walrus Man at Jabba’s Palace.

We see him only 3 times: Sleeping in an alcove, when Luke and Han brush past him and moments later as Jabba passes sentence.

I was scrutinizing the only good image of him and noticed the brown line on his chest. I was excited because I thought it might be a bandolier. I went to the Disney 4K and looked there. It was noticeable, and in the next shot (when Jabba passes judgement), I saw silver on each shoulder.

I knew 2 of the aliens (Yam Nose and Duros) started off as humans but were given alien masks later. I also know existing costumes were reused on different people, or 2 people had the same costume.
Then I hunted for anyone wearing dark colors and possibly wearing a bandolier. My first thought was Bane Malar (who had already changed heads once) but ruled him out. The brown line wasn’t hanging correctly and only seemed to have one “silver shell”.
I realized that “whitish/silver shell” was actually a circle. It was in fact an air tube and the silver lines were of a space suit.
A space suit worn by Palijo Reshad!
I went back to the film and the sleeping Aqualish had baggy arms. It was really hard to tell though. It wasn't convincing.
The silver lines matched the space suit. But was that just me seeing what I wanted to?
The tube hangs the same way. It is pretty obvious now that I knew what to look for. I’m convinced it is the same costume.
But was it the same actor? I don’t know, but both the Walrus man and Palijo are not super tall.
My hopes were dashed for a second since both characters appear during the same event, but then I realized that the scenes were not shot concurrently, so it was possible the actor worked in a mask in on shot and without it in the other.
This would also allow for him to not wear the mask. (Not that there aren’t already continuity errors with people showing up in 2 places or scenes shown out of sequence.)

The picture I used was from the card game. He actually looks like this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great research!!! I think Aqualish are pretty interesting aliens. This looks like an interesting one.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I thought with Covid isolation and summer vacation that I'd have lots accomplished. Sadly, I had lost my Mojo.

Today I forced myself to do 2 simple customs. Hopefully, it will get my grove back.

Smuggler with Navigation Droid.

This "down in the dumps" looking Smuggler knows a lot of secret Hyper-space routes. She keeps them in her custom "Translator Droid" which can calculate Hyper routes much faster than a Nav computer. It also stores data in an isolated cache full of blackmail, secrets, and various bank accounts.

The droid, which she just calls "Translator" looks decrepit and acts faulty by design. It sparks and sputters and mistranslates 1/4 of what it is asked to do, sometimes in the wrong language.
Nobody thinks that the droid is worth anything, or has any important programming.

Smuggler is a POP figure with a DC Mctoy Manta head.
Translator is a Prequel droid with a micro-machine?? ship for a head.

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Looks great, brother! I know what you mean about activity level in recent times but we have a lot of distractions and responsibilities right now; will be back at normal speed in the near future I think!