UTINNIII's Unique Universes Vol 2

Utinniii

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I had time to work on anything, especially a diorama. However, I've slowly been working on some interior rooms based off of the Disney's Haunted Mansion ride. I'm not trying to recreate the ride exactly and I will use different elements from the different parks. I'll also add generally creepy stuff.

It is 1:18 scale made for my Horror figures.
I finally have something worth posting.

First, I gathered some objects I hope to put in it. As I've wanted to make this for years, I've accumulated quite a bit.

One idea for the ride as it was originally conceived was as a Museum of the Weird. I may add some strange things in it, space permitting.

I spent quite a bit of time making tiles of the various wallpapers that I want to use. I did as best as my skills allowed.
There will be 3 rooms, 2 hallways with one room taking elements from a couple of different rooms in the mansion.

The first pic has a hallway with a Schliech Knight. Behind it will be a Library/Sitting room/Ballroom/Stretch room.
I'm not really making blueprints so this room will be built last.

This will be the Corridor of Doors.

The wall will be removable, revealing a Conservatory. I printed out a free model of the Coffin. Making the window was pretty hard. I haven't quite decided if I want to put glass in it or not. I will need to decide that before I permanently attach the walls. My main concern is adding it will make photographing it more difficult.

The wallpaper is different from the ride, partly because I couldn't find a good picture of it, but also because I wanted to use the paper I chose.

The attic is the room I'm most excited to build. It has an insane amount of detail, even before adding the clutter. It has a lot of woodwork. Getting the gable built was surprisingly difficult.

This picture shows it only half finished. I still need to add the support beams.

Currently, I'm making a bunch of books, magazines, records and comics to put in the attic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Good work! The attic especially looks impressive. Walls and floor are pretty realistic. You could glue the printed out walls to thick card, that way, they won't bent. Cool items. It's always nice to see the arc of the covenant and the carpets look truly awesome.

I know this isn't meant to be Star Wars, but an Adventure with Luke and Co in a haunted castle seems like a fun idea to me ;) :)

Utinniii

Reaction score
Good work! The attic especially looks impressive. Walls and floor are pretty realistic. You could glue the printed out walls to thick card, that way, they won't bent. Cool items. It's always nice to see the arc of the covenant and the carpets look truly awesome.

I know this isn't meant to be Star Wars, but an Adventure with Luke and Co in a haunted castle seems like a fun idea to me ;) :)
The attic is really what got me to finally start this diorama. Later I will post a pic of the attic in the actual attraction so you can see how close it looks.

None of the wallpaper is fixed yet so it will look much better when I finally attach it.

I never had a problem with mixing Star Wars with other genres so a haunted mansion just seems fun for me as well!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Thanks! The Conservatory is almost done. I made the marble risers in the back as well as put in the floor and wallpapers. I need to do a few touch ups as well as finish off the coffin.
The walls but not the ceiling are permanently attached.
I recruited Hera to help me with the build.

I put in a few more support beams for the gable. I also added windows. Since the reflection is so obvious here I think I will leave the conservatory windows empty. It would be a pane in the glass to put them in anyway.

Hopefully I can do more rafters and paint them up soon.

Here are some record albums, books and posters that I made. I have more coming.

Reaction score
Looks great so far. You should add a Jack Sparrow as I believe ( I could be wrong) that the rides are attached in Disney Land

Utinniii

Reaction score
Looks great so far. You should add a Jack Sparrow as I believe ( I could be wrong) that the rides are attached in Disney Land
There was an abandoned idea where there was a Mega Pirate theme in one of the parks. All over were clues that linked several rides/places together. A few of the crossover ideas might still exist in the Mansion. Several of the animatronic heads are in both rides.
The 2 barrels in the below pic are from the "We wants the Redhead" Bride Auction scene (now changed for a more PC ride, unfortunately) so I do have a connection. I have a couple of pirate chests and nautical items as well.

The diorama has now been fully assembled and glued/taped together.

I'm adding the support beams and added another wash of brown paint. The top is done and now I need to finish up the vertical support beams. I may try to add some wood grain patterns to the ceiling.
This came together much faster than I expected.

I have a few more books/comics/magazines. Down in the Conservatory, I ripped out a bit of the wallpaper where I will add trim. I originally didn't intend to make the gryphon/lion support pillars here but I think I will add them in. It is just a question of if I do it now or later.

I finished attaching the support beams. I need to give them a black wash still. I also added a tapestry from the ride.

The Hatbox Ghost couldn't wait to occupy his spot.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
I'm going through my attic junk. I have way more junk than space so I will have to play around with things when I can finally put things in my diorama.

I added some black "mold" to the attic and put in a few hooks for hanging junk. I have a few more hooks to put in and am on the lookout for something I can use for curtains.

I've been avoiding making the pillars for the conservatory until now. They have a lot of details that are hard for me to sculpt. I tried carving Balsa but it was unsatisfactory. If I ever learn how to use 3D modelling software I may try to do them better. I also had the problem of height. my ceiling is at least 4 feet lower so I can't have the same visual lines.

The lion heads will eventually be mounted on the ceiling.
I also need to add a bit more lace to the curtains. I wound up cutting some lacy fabric to get the fringe. They are lots of tiny pieces glued together on a napkin.
I still have a lot of work on the plants. I also want to make the wreathes.
There are elements of the pet cemetery in here for now. IDK if I will keep them.

Reaction score
Loving this! Can't wait to see how you put all of those odds and ends to good use. Star Wars has always been a passion for me literally as long as I can remember, but I've liked spooky stuff like this since a young age, as well. Keep up the great work!

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Wonderful! I love the title change to plural for "Universes" too ;)

Utinniii

Reaction score
Wonderful! I love the title change to plural for "Universes" too ;)
Thanks! I'd appreciate it if you added 2 iis to my title thread as I mispelled my name.

I believe you are a fan of the ride.

Today I made some frames, flowers and placed a few of the hanging objects.

Here are some Attic reference pics.

Conservatory

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pretty impressive, looking very much like the reference shots. The window is perfect! Love the details like the off kilter effect.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Pretty impressive, looking very much like the reference shots. The window is perfect! Love the details like the off kilter effect.
Here is the best blog for reference photos and information. https://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2019/04/

That window was one thing I just had to include. I have reference photos from all 3 Mansions as well as Phantom Manor. I'm using the elements from each ride that I like the most.

Looks great! The level of detail is amazing!
Thanks! I love an insane level of details. I'm building lots of little props and the number of plants I will have to make is a bit overwhelming (but I love it).

I was hoping to finish the wooden pillars this weekend, but alas... They are almost finished which makes me really happy as they have been holding me up. I feel like they took as long to make as the entire attic.

This photo also has some plants I'm arranging for the conservatory; some pots i made; a reinforced lid for the coffin - with nails!!!;
and probably the world's smallest Lakeside Haunted Mansion game. The stand up figures are too small to see, but they are there. I had to cut out a few extras since I would lose them, every time I dropped them.

The framed picture is a sticker that changes from living to corpse. I have a few of them.
I'm starting to make a lamp. The base is a broken ear bud, lollipop stem and a glass bead.

I've done a lot of little things that don't look like much now, but will as I start to put more things together.

I've also ordered some things off of Ebay so I will have to wait a couple of months for them to arrive.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I finally got the pillars of the conservatory done! They were holding me back but I finally pushed through and finished them off. I still have most of the plants to do.
The Griffon is from a different part of the ride.

I also glued so more items to the attic pillars.
You can also see that I added a bit of wood grain to the ceiling.

Most of these are finished painting. The round table is made from a tile and a Barbie chair.
I lucked out finding some pewter chairs which I painted to look like chairs that are actually in the attic.

Once I finish painting, I should be able to move the diorama to it's proper home and then fill in the attic!

Reaction score
Wow! I knew you were insane, but this is a whole other level!

It is beyond amazing that you are gathering everything you need and creating this from the ground up, and the attention to detail has been impressive. I can't wait to see this come together further.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks! I'd appreciate it if you added 2 iis to my title thread as I mispelled my name.

I believe you are a fan of the ride.

So sorry about the delay in that; I completely missed your request!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Wow! I knew you were insane, but this is a whole other level!

It is beyond amazing that you are gathering everything you need and creating this from the ground up, and the attention to detail has been impressive. I can't wait to see this come together further.
It turns out that I have waaay too much junk! I could have made the attic twice as long. It's been fun placing the junk around though. I will probably tinker with it for several days (perhaps weeks since I have to wait for stuff coming in the mail.). I think I need to actually glue some of it down. When Hattie fell over, lots of other things got messed up.

So sorry about the delay in that; I completely missed your request!
No problemo! What do you think so far?

Reaction score
It's coming along great! I'm in awe of all the little (and big) things you have collected over the years. Lots of possibilities for toy photography :)

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
It's coming along great! I'm in awe of all the little (and big) things you have collected over the years. Lots of possibilities for toy photography :)
I think I've been unwittingly collecting things for this since the 70's. I have model stuff I saved for Star Wars and D&D dioramas.
I'm not nearly as good as a photographer as I'd like, but I wanted this to be so jam packed with stuff that people could pour through any photos and find little things.

Fans of the ride might notice much of the junk is actually in the attic somewhere, or from various artwork.

One of my earliest memories (I must have been 3 or 5) was shivering between my parents as the shadow hands crossed the demon clock. I loved the ride even then.

I'm not sure what happened to Hera, but The Phantom tried to sneak a piano into my attic!

(He doesn't know I'm making the Ballroom Organ sometime down the line.)

I've placed most of the objects. I still have bits and bobs to do still. Hattie is happy though. But a little lonely.

I

Reaction score
Beautiful! I really love all the clutter. There's just so much stuff to look at, it looks like a real attic. I think this is some of your best work so far!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Beautiful! I really love all the clutter. There's just so much stuff to look at, it looks like a real attic. I think this is some of your best work so far!

Thanks! It was fun selecting what to do. More than half of it is represented in the ride. There are also aspects of different parts of the ride (bat stanchions and paintings). Other rides are, or will be represented, like sketches of other mansions. I have hatbox ghost blueprints, posters, a death certificate...
I also have other spooky things, like the first Evil Dead Necronomicon, Cthulhu, a 1965 calendar with Elvira on it, a Quija board and some vintage Halloween stuff.
Eventually I want to add some of the pop-up ghosts.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Til Death do us part!

Hattie is thrilled his Bride is here.

She is based off of the original Bride. Pictures were hard to find of her, but here she is.

And the skeleton is from the game. I haven't decided if I will paint him green or not. I may put in a green GITD light though. There are small ones one can put in one's mouth.

I still have a few suitors to make so I'm not finished yet.

Reaction score
Utinniii .... thought of you when I opened an old box of toys and found these: the Disney Haunted Mansion Action Figures:

The Prisoner

- The Bride

- The Traveler

- The Skelton

- The Mariner

- The Caretaker

Utinniii

Reaction score
Utinniii .... thought of you when I opened an old box of toys and found these: the Disney Haunted Mansion Action Figures:
I missed this post. I was out of town without internet.
That is a great collection.

I remember when they came out. I wanted to collect them but the boxes they came in were so huge that shipping was outrageous.
I consoled myself that they were the wrong scale. I'd love them in 3.75 scale.

While Ezra (skeleton)is my favorite ghost, Phineas (Traveler) had the best accessories. I love that clock.

Someone gave me the Caretaker and Bride but they were from the second edition which didn't come with the base and most of the accessories. I also have the Redheaded Wench with all the accessories. Some are in my attic.

There are some Hitchhiking Ghost Ornaments that I've seen that I want but the thing I want most is a small statue that had clear ghosts around it. I wanted it for the figures, mostly.

Here's a pic of my model that I took today. I've worked a bit on it but nothing really looks different.

Happy 50th! The HM anniversary was yesterday. There are videos. They had a couple of new projections and changes and there were 3 live actors.

Reaction score
I love your universe Utinniii !
Sometimes, It reminds me of the TV series "Tales from the Crypt" that I watched when I was younger.
You have an impressive amount of small items and I like how you use it. It's incredible !

Utinniii

Reaction score
I love your universe Utinniii !
Sometimes, It reminds me of the TV series "Tales from the Crypt" that I watched when I was younger.
You have an impressive amount of small items and I like how you use it. It's incredible !
I also enjoyed Tales from the Crypt when I was younger. More the movie than the show as I didn't have the channel it was on.

You can go to Disneyland Paris and go to the Phantom Manor. That ride is based off of the ride my diorama is from. They just finished refurbishing it and it has some cool details. I may add a portrait or 2 from that ride in my diorama.

Reaction score
Those are some very unique dioramas. Love all the details packed into them. I particularly enjoy the tombstones carvings, lol.

Reaction score
Been enjoying this thread. Haunted mansion and Pirates OTC were my favorite rides. Your dios capture that weird vibe of the ride. Halloween is not that far off. How about a Nightmare before Christmas dio

Utinniii

Reaction score
Just a quick update on my HM model

I was unhappy with my Conservatory so I got rid of it.

Just kidding! I always intended for this wall to be removable. This will be part of the Corridor of Doors.
I also started the Endless Hallway. I did a lot of figuring out things so even though it doesn't look like much, I actually did a lot of the hard work. I have a bit more of trying to figure things out but this will go fast once I do that. It is harder/easier in some ways since I have no template for this.
Another thing slowing me down is that I can't find 2 way mirror film. There was a time when every bodyshop had them but tinted windows aren't as popular so I haven't found any yet. I will have to look harder since I will finish this soon (or at least before Halloween).

Here are some paper doors I was considering to use but am really unhappy with. Instead, I will create one door, make a cast of it, and make several 3D doors. There is a lot of finicky work but I will be happy with the end result. There are five layers (so far). I tried to carve the designs into the posts but it didn't work out. I will add a foam layer and hopefully solve that issue.

I was also sidetracked with making these characters. I think the body is too bulky so I will have to look for something slimmer. Both are WIPs and have a of of work to do.

Reaction score
Duude! These Halloween and Christmas sets are incredible! There's so much stuff to explore O_O. These must have taken quite a while to put them together! You could hide waldo in there without any problems :D

Reaction score
Wow, that really is a town! I love it! And you scared me for a second when you said you got rid of your conservatory. I was like, but... but... Lol

Utinniii

Reaction score
Duude! These Halloween and Christmas sets are incredible! There's so much stuff to explore O_O. These must have taken quite a while to put them together! You could hide waldo in there without any problems :D
I started in 2002 and slowly built onto it.

While I don't have Waldo in there, I do have lots of fun things to find. I have things from different franchises and one could also play, "Where in NBC did this character come from?" I have an Owl, Hag, second clown and a few others that were in the movie.

Wow, that really is a town! I love it! And you scared me for a second when you said you got rid of your conservatory. I was like, but... but... Lol
Sometimes you just gotta tear the whole thing down and rebuild!

I made the Knight's alcove. Like the COD, this wall is removable so I can see the room behind it.

I also painted the floor of the Endless Hallway.

I wanted to add trim but the hobby store was out of the size I needed.

Making the door in 3D is really hard. It would be so easy using a Cricut or rendering it on a 3D printer. Straight lines really slow me down. I really need to finish this before I can continue in other parts.

That being said, I also cut out the remaining walls and roughed out how I want the rest of the diorama to look. Figuring out the dimensions of the wall panels took a long time but I'm glad that is done.

I also figured out how do deal with some upcoming problems so even though there isn't much to show for it, I accomplished quite a bit.