UTINNIII's Unique Creations Vol 3

I wish I had some new customs to present, but life is too hectic these days. However, I've recently started small mods, or assembled fodder to build and just last night, I almost started something.

I do have big news though for those of us that go for accuracy.

Here's the short version:
[Look at the pink light in the above picture. In a different picture, that is not mine to share, you can see a bit more of it and there is a band bisecting it.]

I'm happy to have solved another Cantina mystery. Behind the Bith band is an upright pink light. I had previously thought that it was just a wall light and weird lighting made it look pink instead of red. However, it is much bigger than the standard wall light, has a lid, and is also bisected by a silver band. I just had to go sleuthing to find out what it was.
I'm basing my solution partly on wishful thinking, Ocam's razor; and the band bisecting the pink light. Starting with what we see from top down, there is a silver top, a pink light with a band in the middle, and a darker colour base. My wishful thinking is that the diagonal line under Phil Tippet's elbow is connected. From what we can see, I had just assumed that the light was a cylinder, like an upright, fatter wall light. However, I believe that it is actually spherical. We've seen a sphere with a silver [actually transparent] top, band in the middle, and a darker base. The problem is that it appears blue, not pink; and is unlit in the one picture we've seen of it. Ocam's razor suggests that it has to be the object since this is the only time we see it and the photo of the prop has the Bith speakers, and at least 2 instruments next to it. This suggests that they all belong together. The sphere's height is similar enough to the silver "drums" both onscreen and backstage. As for the blue-not-pink problem, I've actually encountered that before while studying the drink dispensers in the Cantina. Pink was vexingly blue in some pics. Therefore the pink light most likely is the mystery missal next to the speakers in the background pic.

Blue = Actually Pink

My final conclusion is that the Gassan String drum is actually a 4 piece set: The grill/xylophone thing, 2 black "speaker" boxes, and the pink light missal thing. Pictures show that all 4 items are on a short riser so they belong together. It is set up from left to right; Box (with the camera on it, drum, pink missal, Box (with 2 gold stacked cups).

I also think the 6" Hasbro drum toy is incorrect. Backstage photos of the actual prop's construction show the grill is on both sides. Pictures of the Cantina show that the thick band where the grill is attached is present on both sides, but the rest of the grill is hidden. When the drum appears in the Holiday Special, one side is completely removed- including the wide band.

I also discovered that the Wookipedia has the wrong photo of Ickabel G'ont and the Double jocimer. They use Ted'n with a fanfar. They should be using the stand up base instrument seen in the holiday special. For the record, there were 7 Bith with 7 distinct instruments. Ignore any references to a second fanfar.

One final thing I discovered is that while it was commonly thought that the original instruments were lost, they were actually broken up to make props for the Marauders in the Ewok movie. They can be seen scattered around in their lair, and one was converted into a telescope.

Here are my original speakers made before I found the backstage pictures.
The actual prop was made from bowls and glasses so these doll house brown bowls work really well. I think it will probably be easier to find the parts to make this in 6" rather than 1:18 scale.

You even have gremlins all over the place. Nice!

Although I'm gonna say it; I never thought I'd see someone bring to life The Nightmare Before Christmas as their actual Christmas decor!!!!!

Looking at your amazing Christmas decor I was reminded of something. As someone who hates spiders, one of my most wanted figures is the spider gremlin. I have been waiting for NECA to reissue it. Also that of all the many figures
I have, none have stabbed, *****ed, or jabbed my hands more than the NECA gremlins. Little things are almost as dangerous as the movie ones.

Love all of the scenes, but especially love the gremlin carolers.

In a different picture, that is not mine to share, you can see a bit more of it and there is a band bisecting it.]

After reading your post I was going through the Taschen Star Wars Archives book for the OT & saw this picture…

45EB2816-2E86-4EC9-819D-3D2FF8F6118F.jpeg

Not sure if it is the same picture you mention.

Looking at your amazing Christmas decor I was reminded of something. As someone who hates spiders, one of my most wanted figures is the spider gremlin. I have been waiting for NECA to reissue it.
If you just want the spider, but don't care about scale, you can get the TAKARATOMY A.R.T.S Gremlin II Figure set. You need to buy the entire set as the spider legs are BAF but you get all the figures, not just Mohawk for much less than the cost of the NECA one.

I included a Kharn to show a sense of scale. I also included my home-made version from my Gremlins diorama.

I missed out on the Jun Planning spider so I made sure I got the NECA version when it came out. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Greta 1:1 Prop when it came out. I just didn't have the money at the time. I am in the process of sewing a red dress for my NECA Greta so I may have to buy a second one if I ever finish it. Depending on how that looks, I may attempt to make the wedding dress.

I'm trying to get back into customizing but am not quite there yet. I took a picture of most of my plants, sentient slimes, and animals.
I have my customs now safely sorted and stored so they won't get dusty. I can rotate them once I get my display areas set up.

If you just want the spider, but don't care about scale, you can get the TAKARATOMY A.R.T.S Gremlin II Figure set. You need to buy the entire set as the spider legs are BAF but you get all the figures, not just Mohawk for much less than the cost of the NECA one.

I included a Kharn to show a sense of scale. I also included my home-made version from my Gremlins diorama.

I missed out on the Jun Planning spider so I made sure I got the NECA version when it came out. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Greta 1:1 Prop when it came out. I just didn't have the money at the time. I am in the process of sewing a red dress for my NECA Greta so I may have to buy a second one if I ever finish it. Depending on how that looks, I may attempt to make the wedding dress.
I definitely want the NECA version. I have quite a few of the Gremlins they have done (including Greta).

I definitely want the NECA version. I have quite a few of the Gremlins they have done (including Greta).
I have most of them, but the original versions, so I don't have the fabric Flasher or Brain. On one hand, I want a dozen more and am thinking of buying the generic Gremlin AFTER I make the clothes, but on the other hand, I have no place to display them so they spend most of their lives in boxes. On the gripping hand, my wife is afraid of them so that probably solves my dilemma.

Looking at your amazing Christmas decor I was reminded of something. As someone who hates spiders, one of my most wanted figures is the spider gremlin. I have been waiting for NECA to reissue it. Also that of all the many figures
I have, none have stabbed, *****ed, or jabbed my hands more than the NECA gremlins. Little things are almost as dangerous as the movie ones.

Love all of the scenes, but especially love the gremlin carolers.
Check out the NECA forum. Your WISH is GRANTED!!!

Goodbye my Cuddlefish.

Early this morning, Catherine made peace with Cancer, and this world. She has gone back to the stars she so loves. Today I lost the love of my life, and my best friend. 26 amazing years was too short, even though we had experiences enough for several lifetimes. Catherine has gone on to rejoin lost friends and family, but I will carry her in my heart forever more.

Goodbye my Cuddlefish.

Early this morning, Catherine made peace with Cancer, and this world. She has gone back to the stars she so loves. Today I lost the love of my life, and my best friend. 26 amazing years was too short, even though we had experiences enough for several lifetimes. Catherine has gone on to rejoin lost friends and family, but I will carry her in my heart forever more.
I’m so very sorry. May you find comfort among those who love and care for you

Utinniii,

It's hard to know what to say as I imagine the loss you feel.

Prayers and thoughts going out to you and your family.

I decided that I wouldn't start anything new this summer and only finish things I've already started.

But I found this at a thrift shop for $3 and had to dremel a hole for the feet to go through. I may customize this more later, but not now. I left the the bits I had to cut out beside it.

Here's the feet poking through.

Most FF figures' hips are too wide to sit properly which means the roof doesn't close (I had to cut Shift's hair and it still doesn't fully close. More work on either the figures or the vehicle can fix that though.

I have piles of figures for dremmeling, gluing, customizing, and painting. I wanted to see how hard it would be to make 6 armed figures, This will eventually become Spidercide or the Ultimate 6 armed Spidey. Mostly I was learning the technique with the hope of eventually making Spiral from the X-Men. I've also had the 2 Cheesecake figures for years (decade?) to make a comic version of Mantis (Yellow/Green costume) and evil Storm form the Magic miniseries. (I have a bunch of figures from Limbo that I want to make)

I had originally wanted to use a 6" Gammorean head for this body, but not having access to one, I decided to use a GOT head. Then I found this Hydra head and it is so outrageous, that I might have to use it instead (or make it swappable).

That silver thing is a mini-rig and a half! Everything in that post looks really fun.

Finished: 6 legged Crawler; Winged Crawler; and two "Heavy Fire" Crawlers (normal and Venom)

Here are 2 more that are finished (until I get a Venom Drone to swap out).

In addition to only working on WIPS for the summer, today I cleaned this shelf and decided,

I'm going to have a custom a day for the rest of the summer. I'm not trying to finish one a day, only that for how many days are left, I will have that number of figures done. I think that is do-able. My real hope is that I get into the swing of things and can start working backwards and end up with 1/day for every day of summer vacation. We'll see just how far I get.

I'm only counting this as 2 in my attempt to have a figure for every day left in summer.

The red and blue creatures are from the Star Wars Video game (Empire Strikes Back). I made them in dormant and attack mode. I just needed to finish painting them.

Since the FIFA commercial, every Cantina needs Daft Punk in the background. The heads are from Fake Lego. They also come in white so I could use a second Mr. Negative figure, but I think I might try to find some white-clothed females instead.

I love any droid standing 3.75” tall! 🤩

Last edited:
I love ant droid standing 3.75” tall! 🤩
The head is a random joint from a transformer. Later I will show you the back as it also has a "face". The body was a Funko Solo droid. As I recall, you also loved what I did with the head.

Here is the back view of the droid. I also decided to paint the Daft Punk logo and roboticize his hands. There is also a different view of the snake that shows off the ruby eyes better.

The next set is just things I needed to glue. I think the legs have been missing on the Mazingier since the 70's since they just kept snapping off. Hopefully, the graphite and baking soda makes it last.

The clown just needed pupils, and I gave Fay Wray antenna and bug eyes.

These will be a bunch of backgrounders in a diorama or photo somewhere. I had to repaint the masks and touch up the figures. I also tried several times to get them to stand by warming up the legs and then freezing them into position, but most of them still need a base. Catherine gave these to me when she got back from Korea so I really wanted to finish them.

Finally a group shot of my summer customs. While not as many as I wanted (and there were a few I really wanted to get done), I at least got my One-a-day for August. Going forward, I want to finish One-a-week, but IDK how feasible that will be.

Back