Upcoming Taschen Star Wars Archives Book

Reaction score
Yes, I also got the same message as I’m in the UK. They’ve been all over the place with a release date for the book when it’s own publishers state December!

Reaction score
Someone posted a review on amazon uk. Seemed rather underwhelmed with the actual editorial content.

Reaction score
Someone posted a review on amazon uk. Seemed rather underwhelmed with the actual editorial content.
He/she could be right....but have a feeling it's a troll who hasn't seen the book:
Oh dear! Another one of these large format coffee table books with minimal text and some pretty pictures. This was first done over twenty years ago with the Star Wars Chronicles book and we've had variations on them ever since even a Star Wars Prequels Chronicles book (shudder!). The major problem with these books is they tell you nothing about how the films were made and after looking at page after page of pretty pictures soon become pretty boring. The photos are also recycled from one book to another as is the case with this book here. Realising there was a gap for a proper Making Of book this Lucasfilm released in the past ten years the J W Rinzler Making Of books on Star Wars in 2007, The Empire Strikes Back in 2010 and Return Of the Jedi in 2013. These hardback books are definitive, have far more pictures (including rare behind the scenes) and proper text and are all you need to learn how the films were made. The combined page count of these 3 Making Of books is 1200 as opposed to Taschen's The Star Wars Archives: 1977-1983 which is only 600 pages. There see I saved you £97!!

Reaction score
According to amazon uk, it was released on the 27th. Now it’s on backorder with a 1 - 3 month wait list. Maybe the guy managed to get one of those early copies. There’s a Taschen outlet where I live, will drop by one of these days to see if it’s worth it. I usually like their books.

Reaction score
According to amazon uk, it was released on the 27th. Now it’s on backorder with a 1 - 3 month wait list. Maybe the guy managed to get one of those early copies. There’s a Taschen outlet where I live, will drop by one of these days to see if it’s worth it. I usually like their books.
It hasn't been released yet. Amazon UK has the wrong date. It should be released in December.

It COULD be that person has seen it at the book fair in Frankfurt last month.

Last edited:
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/fgKQaRMBuVs

Interview with the author presenting the contents of the book. i like how the content is chronological to the movies, as opposed to the rinzler books, which follow the production chronology. It will be a good addition to my library, and the pictures look extremely nice. Will have to wait till after christmas for me and many others however ... Taschen have lefft it till rather late and I expect it will sell out in the run up to dec 25th.

Reaction score
Email message from Taschen:

Dear TASCHEN-Bookworm,

we are pleased to inform you that the English edition of The Star Wars Archives: 1977–1983 is now in stock: https://www.taschen.com/01170cc.
The German, French, and Spanish editions will be available in 2019.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best wishes

Reaction score
I might consider getting this if it ever gets around 50% discount on Amazon, which is highly possible at one point.. especially after New Year's..

Reaction score
New email from Amazon.uk, the communication with the publisher is out of this galaxy LOL:

We are pleased to report that the following item will dispatch sooner than expected:

Duncan, Paul "The Star Wars Archives: 1977-1983"

Previous estimated arrival date: January 03 2019 - February 06 2019

New estimated arrival date: December 14 2018

Reaction score
Master Sergiu, I assume you own most of the holy grail books (SW Chronicles, Sculpting a Galaxy, McQuarrie etc) so if it is not too much of a burden, when you receive the book, can you share some pages of it where we can see what sets this book aside from the others? I mean in terms of content, I really wonder how much of it is NOT recycled content but brand new stuff which we have never seen before.. I am very very curious about this issue..

And of course Amazon UK dispatched my book 1 hour ago.

Reaction score
Master Sergiu, I assume you own most of the holy grail books (SW Chronicles, Sculpting a Galaxy, McQuarrie etc) so if it is not too much of a burden, when you receive the book, can you share some pages of it where we can see what sets this book aside from the others? I mean in terms of content, I really wonder how much of it is NOT recycled content but brand new stuff which we have never seen before.. I am very very curious about this issue..
Of course. I always take some pics of the books.

Reaction score
I’ve had mine on order from Amazon.uk since August and haven’t heard a peep from them yet!

I see that the price has shot up also to £150.

Reaction score
I doubt that the majority of the photo images & illustrations won't be anything you already have seen before. (Based off what they showed in the youtube video sample.) It's the Lucas interview content that would be the draw, but you know how he likes to change things around according to how he feels at the time... :|

Reaction score
You know, I would pay the book $100000 if Lucas included the part of his interview where he confesses he is damn sorry and regretful he sold SW to Disney!!!!!

I doubt that the majority of the photo images & illustrations won't be anything you already have seen before. (Based off what they showed in the youtube video sample.) It's the Lucas interview content that would be the draw, but you know how he likes to change things around according to how he feels at the time... :|

Reaction score
It was delivered today. 7,5 kilos heavy.

A nice surprise: the author used two of my interviews (designer Nilo Rodis-Jamero and Niki Botelho (who played Teek in Battle for Endor) so there's a mention in the credits!B)

Reaction score
Congratulations again! and wow 7.5 kilos that is impressive, although McQuarrie sketchbooks is double that if I remember correctly :)

It was delivered today. 7,5 kilos heavy.

A nice surprise: the author used two of my interviews (designer Nilo Rodis-Jamero and Niki Botelho (who played Teek in Battle for Endor) so there's a mention in the credits!B)

Reaction score
Congratulations again! and wow 7.5 kilos that is impressive, although McQuarrie sketchbooks is double that if I remember correctly :)
Thanks.
The RmcQ book was 10 kilos.

As for the SW Archives: I've only flipped some pages...but my first impression: absolutely gorgeous book, light on info compared with the Rinzler books, many pix that have been in other books (but also several new ones), fantastic to see the Ewok movies, the Ewoks and Droids animation series and the Holiday Special get attention.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info.. yeah, ewoks never received the attention they deserved as well as the droids animated series.. however I highly doubt there are enough NEW photos in regards to the OT movies which haven't surfaced in one book or another already... I remember the days when everyone thought Star Wars Chronicles was the Holy book of all SW books and I remember spending 150 quids on a brand new one 15 years ago and back then 150 quids was really a very expensive purchase.. I believe Chronicles is still very relevant and beautiful but with the additional books (Sculpting, Dressing, McQuarrie, 365 days, Sounds, etc) the literature for reference SW books is over saturated.. That is why I hesitate to spend another 150 euros on this one.. I hope someone will eventually upload a youtube video and patiently flip through all pages there :)

Thanks.
The RmcQ book was 10 kilos.

As for the SW Archives: I've only flipped some pages...but my first impression: absolutely gorgeous book, light on info compared with the Rinzler books, many pix that have been in other books (but also several new ones), fantastic to see the Ewok movies, the Ewoks and Droids animation series and the Holiday Special get attention.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info.. yeah, ewoks never received the attention they deserved as well as the droids animated series.. however I highly doubt there are enough NEW photos in regards to the OT movies which haven't surfaced in one book or another already... I remember the days when everyone thought Star Wars Chronicles was the Holy book of all SW books and I remember spending 150 quids on a brand new one 15 years ago and back then 150 quids was really a very expensive purchase.. I believe Chronicles is still very relevant and beautiful but with the additional books (Sculpting, Dressing, McQuarrie, 365 days, Sounds, etc) the literature for reference SW books is over saturated.. That is why I hesitate to spend another 150 euros on this one.. I hope someone will eventually upload a youtube video and patiently flip through all pages there :)
Yes, there is over saturation, although sometimes books are released that do have something to offer (like Icons: Han Solo, Stormtroopers Beyond the Armor...or a certain book with Interviews... ;) :) ).

Being a collector of (coffeetable) books (not just Star Wars) I had to have this one. It's huge. It's gorgeous.
However, I can understand that someone who isn't a die hard collector and already has Chronicles/Rinzlers books might want to give this a pass.

Speaking of 'oversaturation': it would be great if the prequels got a book like this as that trilogy has been neglected for too long.

Reaction score
Thanks for the preview Sergiu, it looks really good.
No problem. :) It is a very nice book, huge and heavy (around 7 kg). As I'm interested in books that discuss stuff behind the scenes and how movies were made, props, models and movie sets, this was a must have.

Reaction score
Thank you very much Master Sergiu.. The book looks very beautiful indeed, I have a feeling I have seen some of these photos in other books but I guess I might eventually hunt this down if I can catch one of those radical amazon discounts... :)

Reaction score
Speaking of 'oversaturation': it would be great if the prequels got a book like this as that trilogy has been neglected for too long.
I have never been a huge fan of Prequels (mainly because of Jar-Jar and everything being 3D rather than physical models) however, after seeing how Disney completely abused my childhood dreams, Prequels are now music to my ears.. I realise I love them very much :) and yes, you are right we need a comprehensive book.. I think I will also buy the Prequel Trilogy Chronicles book if I can come across one here or on ebay.

Reaction score
Thank you very much Master Sergiu.. The book looks very beautiful indeed, I have a feeling I have seen some of these photos in other books but I guess I might eventually hunt this down if I can catch one of those radical amazon discounts... :)
The book is not cheap, but for me it was important to get it. Hopefully this winter I'll be able to read it thoroughly

Reaction score
Looks great Sergiu! Thanks (as always) for the photos.

Mine shipped today - can’t wait to get it!

Reaction score
Color me interested in this. I have The Stanley Kubrick Archives by Taschen & it is a magnificent tome. But as others have said, there is already so, so much out there. What makes this one better/different than Chronicles or any of the other books mentioned?

Reaction score
Color me interested in this. I have The Stanley Kubrick Archives by Taschen & it is a magnificent tome. But as others have said, there is already so, so much out there. What makes this one better/different than Chronicles or any of the other books mentioned?
https://www.starwarsawakens.nl/reviews/boekrecensies/naslagwerken/boekreview-the-star-wars-archives/
My review (in Dutch....so you have to use an translation site).

Pro: the brand new GL interview, the size of the book (huge, so the fullpage photos look better than ever), the presentation is gorgeous.
Cons depend on what you already have. If you have all 3 Rinzler books, Chronicles and the RmcQ art book there's not much new stuff. If you haven't got those I don't think there are any cons.

Reaction score
Cons depend on what you already have. If you have all 3 Rinzler books, Chronicles and the RmcQ art book there's not much new stuff. If you haven't got those I don't think there are any cons.
I have exactly that; 3 Rinzler Books, Chronicles, Art of RmcQ Portfolio and RmcQ Star Wars SW Art Book. So it seems I shouldn't spend money on this book then... Thank you very much for the review

Reaction score
Slowly making my way through this book. I must say I love it in a way I don’t love the Rinzler books. It’s easier on the eyes compared to them, for starters, and the bigger size makes you appreciate the pictures much more. I also like the fact that it follows what you see on screen chronologically, rather than the timeline of the shooting. It’s taken me a week in the evenings to get to the Cantina. Will probably take me till summer to finish it.

Reaction score
I just ordered one of these from Sideshow Collectibles. They have it listed for $155 and I used $143 worth of reward points. :)

Reaction score
I got this book as a present to myself. It's very nice & beautifully illustrated. Lots of beautiful big photos, some of which I haven't seen before & I have lots of Star Wars books. My only complaint is that there are a few pics that were taken from the special editions, which i don't think they should've included.