Upcoming Taschen Star Wars Archives Book

Reaction score
HI All,
Check out the Taschen website - they've listed a 600 page Star Wars Archives (Original Movies) book to be released soon..!!!

Going by previous releases, it will be a beautiful book..

Cheers, AB

Reaction score
Looks promising.. However, I am sick of expensive re-makes.. I already have Making of ANH, ESB and ROTJ, SW Chronicles and Sculpting a Galaxy and most importantly Ralph McQuarrie Portfolio (the big one) so what can Taschen offer which is not already in one of these books.. I have no idea..

HI All,
Check out the Taschen website - they've listed a 600 page Star Wars Archives (Original Movies) book to be released soon..!!!

Going by previous releases, it will be a beautiful book..

Cheers, AB

Reaction score
I'll most likely get it as well. I like books about OT, about behind the scenes stuff, about prop making, about set building etc.

Reaction score
I will definitely pick up a copy. Their making of 2001 book looked awesome and I loved that the commissioned the cutaway artwork of Discovery one for it.

Reaction score
I will definitely pick up a copy. Their making of 2001 book looked awesome and I loved that the commissioned the cutaway artwork of Discovery one for it.
The Taschen 2001: A Space Odyssey book is awesome, except one aspect: the shape. I understand why they did it like that, but it is not feasible in the end. The monolith shape makes the book lose some details where it binds. The 2001 File book is better in this regard. I hope Taschen won't come up with some weird shape again this time.

Reaction score
I have it, too, Sergiu...and half the time I’m afraid to open it with that binding.
It's a superb book, love it, but wish it had a proper book shape. Binding seems quite sturdy, compared to Sculpting a Galaxy which has issues for everyone. Still Taschen does great books, hopefully this new one will be as well.

Reaction score
I agree, the 2001 book is a beauty to look at (from a distance) but very difficult to read :) you feel like you will do something bad to it sooner or later due to shape and weight :)

Reaction score
I agree, the 2001 book is a beauty to look at (from a distance) but very difficult to read :) you feel like you will do something bad to it sooner or later due to shape and weight :)
It has such an odd shape I barely found a place to fit on shelf. But the contents are great

Reaction score
Preordered this from amazon for $150 shipped. The price seems to jump around a bit. Hopefully there’ll be enough new material to make it worth it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I pre-ordered the Mcquarrie book I had a great final price, exactly because of the pre-order.

Reaction score
Looks promising.. However, I am sick of expensive re-makes.. I already have Making of ANH, ESB and ROTJ, SW Chronicles and Sculpting a Galaxy and most importantly Ralph McQuarrie Portfolio (the big one) so what can Taschen offer which is not already in one of these books.. I have no idea..
What is the Ralph McQuarrie Portfolio? Do you have a link or pic?

Reaction score
This looks like a great book, but it's running $190 on Amazon ($200 regular retail price). This is too rich for my blood. Plus, I've got a lot of other SW books with production pics./artwork/etc.

That being said, I'm glad this is coming out for those who want this. And, who knows - I may still cave & get this later...though my wallet won't like that - LOL.

Reaction score
The other issue I have with new SW Books is my lack of room for new material like this. I've already got a ton of great SW books & while they're great, I just can't justify not only the cost, but the space a new book will take up.

Maybe I would have gotten something like this if it had come out about back in the early 200X's - when I had a lot fewer SW books. But, so many great ones have been released in the last 10-15 years that the novelty has worn off...

I remember how few new SW film-related books were being released in the '80's & '90's - other than the "Art of" books & a handful of others. (Note I'm not counting the SW EU novels, since that program started getting very prolific in the early '90's & by the late '90's, there were a plethora of these in bookstores).

Last edited:
Reaction score
hmmm I hear ya Thall. I had a similar concern years ago & i went with a certain approach: I love all the art, reference, dictionaries, guides, non fiction, maps, vaults, scrapbooks, making of, etc you name it-but I chose to not collect or store the novels/long form fiction, but rather treat them like a video rental let's say. I mean i have about 30 SW novels but I don't collect them, most were $1 flea market grabs or free. I suck up the stories, and revisit it all thru my library, encyclopedias etc. I as an old *** fan, and (for some strange reason unlike some fans) I clearly understood the canon thing, and I knew for as long as I can remember that the films trumped all, so I enjoyed the novels, loved the EU and so much of it's vast additions, but never overly engulfed myself within the physical book. Its the books like the essential guides, encyclopedias etc that keep them branded in my brain even though they've become legends, they still matter in that sense and are kept alive and relevant. I do love many a SW novel, but like kiddie books and repetitive film adaptions, interpretations, etc. i just don't see the need to amass them, so that's how i handle my constraints if you will. thats why i can have hundreds of reference books and guides, it's a more refined library. Im a film collector for 25 years and these days, meh-not so much, but I'm still in possession of 2000 horror films and can't let em go cuz its such a damn impressive collection, and now just get the ones I truly like... I have too many vices LOL!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is out next week. Any reviews or images of pages yet? Just wondered as I may cancel due to funds and re-order later on.

Reaction score
I will wait until I see the content.. There is high chance it is 80% recycled material unless it focuses on the New Trilogy and Stand Alone movies.. If that is the case, the book will be an easy pass

Reaction score
I will wait until I see the content.. There is high chance it is 80% recycled material unless it focuses on the New Trilogy and Stand Alone movies.. If that is the case, the book will be an easy pass
Well, let's see...

HI All,
;)

Reaction score
Message from Amazon UK: Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered - Duncan, Paul "The Star Wars Archives: 1977-1983". Estimated arrival date: October 22 2018 - November 26 2018.

Reaction score
I've emailed Taschen regarding the releasedate and got this reply:

[FONT=&quot]We are expecting the receive the titel by the end of this year. So far, we unfortunately can not guarantee any specific release date for the book. [/FONT]
Could be any date then.

Reaction score
I wish they uploaded are more extensive preview... Doesn't give much idea in terms of content...

Reaction score
I wish they uploaded are more extensive preview... Doesn't give much idea in terms of content...
Agreed. But I'm going to get it nevertheless. I slowed down collecting recently because of recurring health issues, so this book will be a nice change in the pace

Reaction score
I wish we knew a little more about this book. I'm interested and have it preordered from Amazon.ca ($160). Just not sure it will offer anything new. I have the 3 making of books, the posters book, the costumes book and the Ralph McQuarrie book. I can't see this offering anything that all of these don't. Half tempted to cancel and just get the LEGO Darth Vader Castle instead.

Reaction score
After getting this book and 4 other collectibles, my pre-order list is empty for the first time in many many years ...

Reaction score
Another delay:

Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered - Duncan, Paul "The Star Wars Archives: 1977-1983"
Estimated arrival date: January 03 2019 - February 06 2019

Reaction score
The Taschen website just states December and Amazon.com says 15th Dec.