Unpunched (or "Unpunched") Vintage Cards?

Reaction score
Does anyone else feel there is an uptick in unpunched (or maybe "unpunched") vintage cards on the market?

I'm suspicious that all of these truly genuine especially when compared to the condition of some of these cards as a whole. How do some of these cards take such a beating but retain their punch-out. I've always been a proponent of 'buyer beware' so I generally don't purchase big ticket items off the auction websites but frequently look and I feel like there are way more then I remember from back in the toy show days.

Thoughts?! Concerns?! Duplicitous discoveries?!

(Disclaimer: I looked briefly for a thread but couldn't find one: Feel free to move this to a previous / more relevant one :))

Reaction score
Some carded figures were not hung on peg-boards by retailers, but used the "footer" on the blister to stand the figures on shelves. Additionally, a lot of cards were thrown into "bins" en mass, especially towards the end of the run when SW popularity was waning and the figures went on sale at big mark-downs. So getting shuffled around by Ages 4+ would explain scuffs and bends without damaging the punch tab. I'm not so worried about unpunched cards if you know what the correct shape of the punch tab is for the particular card you are looking at.

That said, I think the "unpunched" cards that have little "shelf wear" bring the most money, and most likely will get the best AFA scores (but I don't like AFA, anyhow). I have both punched and unpunched cards, and I don't prefer either style. Some super high end collectors might want the unpunched ones more than the punched, just because they are probably harder to find is pristine condition.

Reaction score
Thanks Saber. I guess I needed someone to talk me down / through it.

I have a mix of punched and unpunched (several going back 20+ years now) but recently I feel like unpunched is EVERYWHERE. Like maybe someone took junk card backs and started punching out inserts for figured cards. Just wanted to make sure that’s not a “thing” now.

Maybe I’m just crazy. I’ve become like Jim Carrey in “23.” Now that I noticed it I can’t stop seeing it. 😂🤪

Reaction score
No problem, Guards. I think you probably see more of the "better stuff" when the market is high like it is right now. The capitolist are capitolizing on their returns on investments. Buy low, sell high in action.

Reaction score
There is more demand for unpunched cards people will pay a premium for them especially in the higher end cards like 12 backs and 21-back fett. Early cards were also available in the bin displays where they would not have been punched