Unpopular Opinion: I Can't Stand The Term "Grail"

Reaction score
It was worth way more than one Benjamin! The Imperial Gunner was in pretty bad shape, but is still a $60-$75 figure. The McGuyver was in abysmal shape; he had lots of paint loss and was missing both his thumbs. Still, it’s worth basically any price you want. I wouldn’t pay much for it, but it’s easily $100 to most collectors. Plus, this Sise Fromm is in great shape, and even without his purple cloak, he’s probably $300, maybe $350. I could’ve offered her a lot more. She thought it was funny that weirdos like us would pay so much for these obscure characters!

Reaction score
I hate that people call POTF2 Vintage, because it's technically correct.
Having just gotten back involved after 20 years and thinking of finishing my vintage collection, I was pretty depressed to find POTF2 figures popping up on eBay under the term 'vintage' myself

Reaction score
I don't despise the term "grail"; just despise how frequently it's thrown around with so little thought. It seems that whatever item someone is searching for, or has searched for with very little time and effort attached becomes a grail; and remains so until that's obtained and the next grail is focused on. In my opinion, a brand new item which took someone a week or two to find is not a grail; it's just something they really want. Nor is a grail an item that's commonly available but simply has a price tag someone's uncomfortable with. I once spent roughly twenty-seven years (off and on), my whole life minus eight years; searching for a specific non-Star Wars item in specific conditions; and when I found that, it cost me nearly a grand. To me, that's a grail.

Reaction score
Is the term over used? Probably. But it means different things to different people.
One persons grail may certainly not be what another would classify as a grail piece.
At the end of the day it is just another term banded about the hobby. Part of the hobby lingo so to speak.

Reaction score
I guess the term has to be qualified, for me. The "Holy Grail of X". For the 3.75" line, yeah, a rocket-firing Fett is the grail. But if we narrow that down to original 3.75" cantina aliens, then a mint Blue Snaggletooth suddenly takes the title of "grail".

Reaction score
It's just simply over used. It's a term that the collecting community has used so many times to describe so many things that it's just used effortlessly and has completely lost any charm that it used to have.
Sorry on so many levels but I HAD to say it in this thread: I got a grail item! Not Star Wars but still.

Picked up the one of a kind clay sculpture that was used as the master to create the Marx woolly mammoths. This would have been made in the 1950's. Not much in the way of pre-production stuff exists from back then.

Reaction score
The term "grail" never bothered me. I acquired my grail in 2001: a 2 foot tall Transformer only released in Japan in 1988 called Grand Maximus. I got a really good deal on it a few months before I got married. No way in the world I would have ever gotten it after I got married. There isn't a single toy in existence I would trade my Grand Maximus for.

I'm really glad that the term "retired" died out. I HATED hearing old vintage toys being referred to as "retired" because they weren't made anymore. What a stupid term to come out of the Beanie Baby craze. Collectors never needed a term to describe toys that were discontinued because it was a given that all toys will be discontinued. In fact, it's rare for toys to be produced for multiple years.

Another term I hate is "mint in box" (MIB). It's not so much the term as it is the application of the term. Someone will sell a toy that is damaged to crap in its original box and call it MIB. If the toy isn't mint, then it's not mint in box.