Unkar Plutt

Reaction score

Its interesting, this point of view that a 5POA approach is related to old Kenner styling. I really dont think its about that at all. Its about finance?
while I'm sure that the 5POA change is due to $$$$ (starting with the Iron Man 3 line and moving forward to all the recent marvel movies) I do remember reading somewhere and hearing it from Hasbro reps at CVII that the 5 POA figure in the beginning were actually a nod to the classic Kenner figures.

I actually like the 5POA figures as much as I like the SA Black Series. in fact there are several figures that have been released in the TFA line that work well as 5POA (PZ, Goss, Zuvio, Sarco, and even Hux) due to the fact that they really don't need multiple points of articulation.

Reaction score
Some of the TFA figures are horrible sculpts, IMO. X-Wing Poe is one of the worst. I just found Black Series version and it's so much better. The head sculpt isn't much better than the TFA figure, but the body is way better. But I would've much preferred a SA Poe figure in his other outfit, which is my favorite costume design in the whole movie. The SA figures tended to be better sculpts for the most part. So I guess it's not so much the lack of articulation in the 5 POA line, it's that most of the TFA figures are either bad or just ok.

Reaction score
Some of the TFA figures are horrible sculpts, IMO. X-Wing Poe is one of the worst. I just found Black Series version and it's so much better. The head sculpt isn't much better than the TFA figure, but the body is way better. But I would've much preferred a SA Poe figure in his other outfit, which is my favorite costume design in the whole movie. The SA figures tended to be better sculpts for the most part. So I guess it's not so much the lack of articulation in the 5 POA line, it's that most of the TFA figures are either bad or just ok.
Poe is a given, he's awful in 5POA. Most of it has to do with the sculpted helmet. Honestly, doesn't matter which line it is, the heads have all been awful on Poe.

Seeing how we only have a handful of SA TFA figures I think it's a little early to say they are all sculpted better. There are some definite duds in the main line, don't get me wrong. But all in all, I'd say for what they are it's been pretty solid.

Personally, I prefer the 5POA Kylo. He has presence to him with his size.

Finn is about the same in both lines. It's a matter of preference with him.

Rey, yeah her face is a better likeness in the SA line.

It'll be interesting to see how each line progresses.

Reaction score
Poe is a given, he's awful in 5POA. Most of it has to do with the sculpted helmet. Honestly, doesn't matter which line it is, the heads have all been awful on Poe.

Seeing how we only have a handful of SA TFA figures I think it's a little early to say they are all sculpted better. There are some definite duds in the main line, don't get me wrong. But all in all, I'd say for what they are it's been pretty solid.

I meant that I think the SA figures from the past have usually been better sculpts. I wasn't very clear about that. I really really hope they continue making the SA TFA figures. I just wish they weren't exclusives, but it's better than nothing.

Reaction score
SA figures have been a mixed bag. Just like the modern Star Wars line as a whole has been mixed. How many SA DSII Luke's did it take for them to get it right? And even then you can't please everyone.

Paint apps is where things have really suffered and that's across the board. It's been a steady decline for years now. You used to not need to compare all the figures you saw to pick out the best paint app. You could just grab one and it'd be the same as the others.

Reaction score
Those are all very good points, Maverick. There were three SA BS Poes at Wally World today and the eyes were bonkers on each one. I had to stand there for a while to find the lesser of three evils. Somehow, the paint jobs weren't that bad, otherwise. That was shocking, because the other SA BS exclusives I've seen have had bad paint jobs.

Reaction score
while I'm sure that the 5POA change is due to $$$$ (starting with the Iron Man 3 line and moving forward to all the recent marvel movies) I do remember reading somewhere and hearing it from Hasbro reps at CVII that the 5 POA figure in the beginning were actually a nod to the classic Kenner figures.
That sounds like a convenient soundbite, perhaps coming from someone with little or no authority, to make it sound like a plus? I have no doubt that the shift was a financial reason.
Personally I love 5POA's but all figures are judged on their own merits, some are awesome, some are poor: just like any figure.

Reaction score

Its interesting, this point of view that a 5POA approach is related to old Kenner styling. I really dont think its about that at all. Its about finance?
Is that a question or just a typo?;)

It'll be interesting to see how each line progresses.
I'm sure we'll be able to see the Progression on the 5 POA line while the TBS 3.75" SA line's Progression will probably hit a brick wall very soon.

Reaction score
It's going to be hilarious if the 5POA line slowly evolves into the POTJ line with extra articulation like swivel elbows and so forth.

Reaction score
Thats what I suggested when the 5 POA line started - they'll reduce the ever growing price of SA figures by dropping articulation and the price at the same time, keeping as many kids buying as possible. The next phase is to raise prices on the SA figures until they're no longer feasible at retail. With the SA line dead, they'll slowly introduce more articulation in the 5 POA line until they reach the $10 pricepoint again, at which time, (in theory) consumers will be able to support the higher price in a better economy.

Reaction score
They already upped the price point from the $6 SL 5POA figures to $7-$8 5POA figures for the movie release. They really should have brought back the swivel elbows. Yes some swivel elbows suck but some are great. Like the Commtech/POTJ Stormtroopers for instance. The FO Stormies would be just that much better with a swivel cut.

Reaction score
TBH, I don't know that I have that much time and patience to wait for it. If they slowly evolve into 10POA by the time EP9 hits, I fear it will be too late for me. My interest is at an all time low as it is. And with only 4 SA figures per year to keep me interested, it may not be enough to keep me along for the ride.

Reaction score
TBH, I don't know that I have that much time and patience to wait for it. If they slowly evolve into 10POA by the time EP9 hits, I fear it will be too late for me. My interest is at an all time low as it is. And with only 4 SA figures per year to keep me interested, it may not be enough to keep me along for the ride.
I've got to agree. Not to mention the one worry I have regarding the continued forward movement of the brand every year means we probably won't really get to have waves based on previous films like in the past. So those figures we'd actually like to have with better articulation now, or at least better accessories, like Nien Numb, Ackbar, Guavian Enforcer, etc. may not get upgrades if this is a slow movement forward. The backgrounders/deleted scene/etc. are fine because they can stand or sit around in a cantina or behind a parked X-Wing or something.

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I'm worried about how the lines progress moving forward but for slightly different reasons. Yes, the timeline does limit the amount of SA figures they will update but this massive movie crunch also affects other lines.

I'm a fan of a lot of the SL 5POA line. Not everyone is I get it. I fully expected TFA to take priority and fill that spot when it was released, but I hope the SL line isn't dead altogether. Sure they repacked Luke, Vader, and Fett from that line but is that all we will get, repacks?

I'm still holding out hope for a SL Farmboy Luke and Bespin Lando. Will there be slots available to continue to give us OT figures?

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I'm worried about how the lines progress moving forward but for slightly different reasons. Yes, the timeline does limit the amount of SA figures they will update but this massive movie crunch also affects other lines.

I'm a fan of a lot of the SL 5POA line. Not everyone is I get it. I fully expected TFA to take priority and fill that spot when it was released, but I hope the SL line isn't dead altogether. Sure they repacked Luke, Vader, and Fett from that line but is that all we will get, repacks?

I'm still holding out hope for a SL Farmboy Luke and Bespin Lando. Will there be slots available to continue to give us OT figures?
I actually was just referring to all lines in general as well. I'm more about the SA figures, true, but that's mostly because it's what we were used to for years, and I hate how Hasbro's practices have changed in the last couple. I've just been speculating on how things will go come December. Will we move over to a Rogue One line, and even then, it likely won't last because it's only 5 more months from there until VIII.

I'm at a different place in life than I was 10 years ago. Back then, as a teenager, I could work, and spend all my cash on figures and stuff I wanted. But now, going through college still, with kids and bills and everything, I just don't have the money to keep up with the hobby like I used to, so I hate buying up all the TFA figures I could afford, only for them to later announce the Walmart figures, and then now it seems like with the general secrecy of each subsequent film, Comic Cons and Toy shows aren't going to be the big source of information we once had. I doubt we get Hasbro slide shows, and a good idea of just how many figures we'll get in a year ever again.

Reaction score
But we have Hasbro pulse now! That's gotta mean something right...right?

Yeah, I'm worried too.
And I mean, I'm sure someone out there would criticize "Why worry about it? It's not important!". And honestly, as right as someone would be saying that, it's been my hobby for a lifetime, from playing with my figures as a kid, to around the time of Episode II when I was 13 moving towards collecting (I'm forever an opener though.). It's something I like to do, and I do try to do it within my means. So it sucks when the company itself is already making questionable decisions, and you have no idea what to expect for the future.

Reaction score
That sounds like a convenient soundbite, perhaps coming from someone with little or no authority, to make it sound like a plus? I have no doubt that the shift was a financial reason.
Personally I love 5POA's but all figures are judged on their own merits, some are awesome, some are poor: just like any figure.
I don't know anyone at Hasbro, but I've always had the impression that it's a completely financial reason.

Reaction score
I have no interest in Rouge One toys so I like the idea that within 12 months the TFA will be pretty much done. I will get what I like of what they make and be pretty much done until Episode 8. Which again will have a toyline in a smaller timeframe.

I agree about the lack of information being given out Hasbro, even vague details of numbers of figures and waves to be made. It was always helpful and as much as people complained when they did not see what they wanted, the slide shows were always good to see. It just comes across now that they do not have an overall plan for these toys, are being more secretive then ever so it takes some fun out of it. Where is the publicity? Where is the excitement? Make Star Wars toys feel like an event again, like they are something more then just another action figure line (which of course they just are but who needs reality when buying toys)

Reaction score
As it turns out, Unbar Plutt's head was completely digital. Considering we've seen Simon Pegg in full costume, including a mask, JJ must've decided Unkar's facial performance needed to be CG'd.

Reaction score
I can't wait to receive my Unkar Plutt figure. I have a lot of ideas for funny diorama's with this guy planned.

Reaction score
As it turns out, Unbar Plutt's head was completely digital. Considering we've seen Simon Pegg in full costume, including a mask, JJ must've decided Unkar's facial performance needed to be CG'd.

I was wondering about that. I think Unkar was the best CG in the movie. Really blurred the line.

Reaction score
I can't wait to receive my Unkar Plutt figure. I have a lot of ideas for funny diorama's with this guy planned.
I'm guessing it involves trading parts of toys for, oh let's say, ONE QUARTER PORTION

Reaction score
Unkar has become the front running quotable character for the movie, which is fun. And I am looking forward to getting this guy; I wasn't initially but my wife (who prior to this movie had little to no interest in Star Wars, she loved TFA) said *we* HAD to get Unkar Plutt. So her enthusiasm upped my desire for him. That said, of all the figures that have ever peg warmed, I feel quite confident Unkar Plutt is not going to be in short supply, to put it nicely. I can't feature that people are dropping $25 for him on ebay right now. Gotta have it first guy strikes again.

Reaction score
Yeah, for a character that was barely in the movie he's a definite buy for me. He was recognizable. Sometimes that's all it takes. Especially with an Alien figure. I really don't get why Hasbro held back some of the figures they did. Nothing would have been spoiled by putting him in Wave 1 over Zuvio.

Reaction score
It's a shame the design of this guy was so lame. He had the opportunity to be a lot cooler and more menacing. The figure looks decent and is a perfect fit for 5POA.