Ultimate Blu-Ray Boxed Set (Star Wars 50th Anniversary ~ 2027)

Reaction score
I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I normally just frequent the Hasbro action figures section. I looked around for a forum regarding Blu-Rays (or Home Media in general) but didn't see one. I thought I'd just go ahead and post here. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction if this needs to be posted someplace else.

I wanted to pose the question - Do you think Disney will release some sort of ULTIMATE Blu-Ray (preferably 4K) Boxed Set come 2027 when Star Wars turns 50? Like, "ultimate" as in EVERYTHING (live action) that will have been released by that time - the nine Skywalker Saga films, the standalone films, the Disney+ television shows, and MAAAAAAAYBE even the original theatrical versions of the original trilogy? Or...

Do you think physical media will be DEAD by then?

Reaction score
I do feel that in Disney's eyes it will, as long as they can keep you signed up to D+ continually paying into their pockets I don't see the urgency to do something like that. Especially as costly as it can be for them to do such things. One might say that by releasing 4K it will also contribute to their bottom line in addition to what they earn from D+ so win win. But that doesn't guarantee you stay with D+ once you have all their movies so it can be seen as a double edge sword in a way.

I will always want physical cop because it's mine and can watch it anytime I want, thus I'm not at the mercy of a streaming site if it's either removed one day or by chance there's an internet outage which happens here quite often.

Thirdly, if they ever did do something I would just prefer the OT Theatrical version remaster and released. I have no interest in an "Ultimate Box Set" of all 9 movies, as I'm only interested in OT 4K.

Reaction score
I think if they did this it would be strictly "limited edition" (for serious collectors only) in order to preserve the market for Disney+ for casual consumers. they certainly wouldn't flood the market with cheap star wars blu-rays. it would be extremely rare and hard to find, much like the 'skywalker saga' 27-disc! 4k boxed set. o_O

Reaction score
It would be interesting if there is EVEN a plan to the 50th other than a retread of previous releases.

My current assessment is it will not happen as long as Lucas is alive.
I would not be surprised if he has a clause in the sale about the original trilogy versions.

For me, that is why there will be no official release of the original. Perhaps, there may be a chance 50th screening at select theatres, but I do not think it will be the original version.

As a Jedi Master once said, "Difficult to see. Always in motion the future is."

Who knows?

Thank you.

Reaction score
If there were any Movie that would get people to got to the Theater to see it, it's the original unaltered Star Wars! When I say that I mean direct changes not "fixing" scenes that needed cleaning up of enhances CG.

Reaction score
I still wonder if we'll ever get the theatrical versions of the OT. But if we do, they'll probably strong arm us into buying a huge set just to get them.

A set I could get behind is the theatrical OT, the theatrical '97 Special Editions, and the theatrical PT.

Reaction score
The only thing I was ever interested in when Disney bought Star Wars from Lucas was that they would release the original unadulterated versions of the OT on blu ray, even if they were stuffed into a box set of films that I'd never watch. That hasn't happened in 6 years of Disney's stewardship. Instead we have one great movie (R1) and a decent TV show (Mando), surrounded by mostly rubbish.

If there is a plan to release the originals on blu ray at some stage, then I would consider Disney's purchase a good one, despite their largely awful handling of it so far.

Until they are released (if ever), I'll have to make do with Harmy's efforts. Which, the more I think of it, the more utterly absurd that sounds considering the cinematic impact that the three original films had.

Reaction score
Maybe you feel differently but I feel like even with the missteps during Disney's short ownership of the franchise, the few major successes so far are more than we got the last 30 years that Lucas had control.

Reaction score
Maybe you feel differently but I feel like even with the missteps during Disney's short ownership of the franchise, the few major successes so far are more than we got the last 30 years that Lucas had control.
I don't think that Star Wars has fared too well under either TBH. Lucas had it and then lost it in the 90's...and lost it big time. Modern day prequel forgiveness aside, those movies suck ballz. But under the mouse, the good stuff appears to be mistakes more than anything else. 'Rogue One' is looking increasingly like an aberration and 'The Mandalorian' (although it has its flaws) is down to a particular creative team. Both are riffs on the OT, though, which is an important observation. The "original" Disney stuff has been just awful.

So, yes, while there have been two major successes under Disney, they haven't been down to great planning or a creative vision from the studio or the people currently in charge of the franchise. Which is why a lot of people were and still are dubious about their custodianship.

Reaction score
Disney has turned into a nightmare. I knew it was bad news when I heard about the sale. Disney's Golden years were a long long time ago before all the overloards that were brought on to manage the company.. I'm sure when they have milked the SW Cow to death they will sell or hopefully be forced to sale off assets including SW. The fact is, it's over. The magic that was the original OT is done and ended in 1983. We all want it back but hey that's life. Enjoy the Memories kids, that's really all that's left of the original OT. A great event we all got to be part of if you were lucky. Doesn't happen for everyone in every generation. Their is a great moment in this documentary where Kasdan says, you can't ever see this Movie like People did when it was new. It will never be the same for people watching it now. I agree.

Star Wars A Converstion With The Masters - ESB 30 Years Later Documentary - YouTube

Reaction score
it's hard to see it the same way with all the ongoing changes that have been made -- it's not really the same movie anymore.

the added emperor dialog is the worst part of the whole film IMO. (I mean, why would Vader be so shocked to learn of the existence of this 'skywalker' kid, when the OPENING CRAWL tells us he is ALREADY "obsessed with finding young skywalker").

Lucas Himself has declared it's NOT the same movie anymore... so.... how are audiences supposed to "See it the same way"?

It will never be the same for people watching it now... because.....

"....Maclunkey!" o_O

Last edited:
Reaction score
it's hard to see it the same way with all the ongoing changes that have been made -- it's not really the same movie anymore.

the added emperor dialog is the worst part of the whole film IMO. (I mean, why would Vader be so shocked to learn of the existence of this 'skywalker' kid, when the OPENING CRAWL tells us he is ALREADY "obsessed with finding young skywalker").

Lucas Himself has declared it's NOT the same movie anymore... so.... how are audiences supposed to "See it the same way"?

It will never be the same for people watching it now... because.....
Empire should have remained completely untouched. And I have to agree about the Cringe worthy dialog with the Emperor. The Film was perfect as released...... 🤖

Reaction score
It's funny.

When the special ed versions of the OT were all that were available, I used to think that I had grown out of Star Wars and that the films seemed sorta meh to me. Even when we watched them in the cinema, we were all deeply underwhelmed. Then I discovered Harmy's de-specialized versions and fell in love with them all over again.

Every addition Lucas made diminished the movies in some way, even the CGI spaceships and environments, which never look like they were made for the same film...well...because they weren't made for the same film. They look like CGI against the original special effects work and it never fits. With some of it being absolutely atrocious, even at the time.

'The Empire Strikes Back' seems to get away with it for a lot of people, but I still much prefer the original version of that movie too. I think the only addition I would leave in is the Wampa stuff at the beginning. But it's really not missed if it's not there.

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm defending a change to the film but I think the whole point of that scene and the reason for adding more specific dialog was to show that Vader was going behind the Emperor's back in his search for young Skywalker. Vader's clearly already well on his way and the Emperor is just now getting hip to it so Vader plays along.