UK Findings+Buyings Thread - NON STAR WARS

Reaction score
Post what you found and your purchases of NON star wars products.. be it... Dr Who, Marvel, DC, and even my little ponies at all the cool stuff !

Reaction score
Great idea for a thread.

Went into Sainsbury's in Crayford, Kent with the little lad the other day and they had all the 2010 model 6 inch R/C Daleks down to a tenner. He chose a Blue Moffat era one. We got to the till and it scanned through at £19.99. Checkout manager claimed that it was the non radio control regular release Daleks that were £10. I screamed blue murder and showed them the whole end cap full of the things. Checked the shelf ticket, it turns out only the R/C Ironside Daleks (i.e. the RTD era ones with the Khaki paint job) are £10. My little lad was quite happy to have one of those. We got home and after about 10 minutes the remote control seemed to pack in as the Dalek was only going backwards in circles. After all that I now can't find the receipt to take it back and get anouther one...

Clone Wars Hostage crisis set was back down to £15 in Sainsburys also. That thing seems to go up and down like a yo-yo in price. Our branch alone much have about 30 of them...

Reaction score
darth_elizium said:
Great idea for a thread.

Went into Sainsbury's in Crayford, Kent with the little lad the other day and they had all the 2010 model 6 inch R/C Daleks down to a tenner. He chose a Blue Moffat era one. We got to the till and it scanned through at £19.99. Checkout manager claimed that it was the non radio control regular release Daleks that were £10. I screamed blue murder and showed them the whole end cap full of the things. Checked the shelf ticket, it turns out only the R/C Ironside Daleks (i.e. the RTD era ones with the Khaki paint job) are £10. My little lad was quite happy to have one of those. We got home and after about 10 minutes the remote control seemed to pack in as the Dalek was only going backwards in circles. After all that I now can't find the receipt to take it back and get anouther one...

Clone Wars Hostage crisis set was back down to £15 in Sainsburys also. That thing seems to go up and down like a yo-yo in price. Our branch alone much have about 30 of them...
NON SW Thread... so dont post any SW in here..

Dalek,... take it back or ring the customer service number for Character options on the box.

Reaction score
Picked up a Colossus and Juggernaught from The Entertianer in Meadowhall at £4 a pop. They had quite a few other Marvel Universe figures in at this price - most of them I already had, but a couple I just wasn't interested in!

Reaction score
Cool thread

Does anyone know if the UK is gonna get any new Marvel Universe waves? I only see Black Widows, Luke Cages and Iron Men at TRU, and the US are so far ahead of us now, I wasn't sure if TRU are gonna play catch up or not? The one near me hasn't restocked for months so I doubt it.

It's just I wanted a Yellowjacket. Guess I'll have to resort to eBay?

I did manage to order a Ghost Rider MIB delivered for about £8 though

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting into Marvel collecting...

What are the best figures of Iron Man, Spiderman, Captain America, Hulk and Thor, and is there a Mysterio figure? Or a grey Hulk?

Reaction score
JediClones said:

What are the best figures of Iron Man, Spiderman, Captain America, Hulk and Thor, and is there a Mysterio figure? Or a grey Hulk?

I haven't been collecting Marvel for long, but strictly keeping to the Marvel Universe line, keeping carded (I love the packaging, and it goes well with my room at my uni house, cause it's blue
)
But, there is a grey hulk in the Marvel Universe line, but it's quite old now, and think the only way to get hold of it is to really luck out and see it in Tesco (I did once, but was buying green hulk at the time, so didn't think to get it) - it's expensive on eBay

For Iron Man, there's plenty in the IM2 line, which'll surely drop in price quite a lot when Thor hits? TRU do offers for £5 or under fairly regularly, so it's just kinda take your pick what armour you want

For Cap and Thor, I'm not overly sure, I've got two examples from MU, but they'll have their own lines out in summer.

There're plenty of Spidey figurese in the Spidey line too

Reaction score
I got cat food "Buy one get one half price" and Easter eggs "Buy one get TWO free" at my local Tesco Express.

(P.S. Don't people come here because it IS Star Wars??)

Reaction score
JediClones said:

I have a loose Grey Hulk, Hobgoblin, Electro, spidey and Iron man. for 1 carded SW figs? I'll even throw in an IM2 Iron monger!!

Reaction score
Darth_Satan said:
I got cat food "Buy one get one half price" and Easter eggs "Buy one get TWO free" at my local Tesco Express.

(P.S. Don't people come here because it IS Star Wars??)
Not necessarily, there are quite a few none-Star Wars threads & sections on the forums.

Reaction score
yeah the cool toy review forum section is all NON SW stuff... but as this is the Euro hang out whats wrong with this thread ?? dont like it ... just ignor it.. ! we wont be offended !

I just started it as there were non SW bits creeping into the SW thread !

Reaction score
Good one KJ, Man shall not live by the products of Lucusfilm alone - much as I love Star Wars (and I do, been collecting the damn stuff since 78) I also collect Marvel and DC (my first ever Action Figure was a pocket action Heroes Capt America in '75) Gundam and just about any other cool Japanese robots and Transformers - as long as they don't have anything to do with the godawful movies.

Speaking of which I've spent far more on them this month catching up on the Reveal the Sheild and Generations lines than I have Star Wars - maainly because by some miracle they are actually in UK toyshops and Star Wars Vintage by and large aren't. I picked up Wreck-Gar, Perceptor, Tracks, Windcharger, Grapple and the best-Transformer-that-isnt-a-Masterpiece ...Jazz all in the last two weeks and if you have any soul at all that's a Toy you must own.It's effing fantastic and at only a quid more than a Cloud Car Pilot in Sainsburys it doesn't feel like the big H are peeling your wallet exploiting your unfulfilled childhood.

Also succumed to impatience and bought a Battle-Hammer Thor yesterday - it's a brilliant little figure but at £8.99 a pop that's a line I'm going to be very selective about getting.

And I did buy an Eath Koth on ebay just to make all you purists feel a little better.....

Reaction score
I only buy FETT and Classic Lego now really... my only NON SW purchases were Akira items but theres jack all of that about nowadays. and my Mcfarlane figure collecton is long gone.. just got a couple of Xfiles Movie Prototypes on the shelfs that were a gift from a good friend that sit with my MADMAN and Rowlf from the muppets toys.

Reaction score
karnorjax said:
JediClones said:

Scums sister site CTR has a List and photo archive of the TMU figures.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/Hasbro_MU.asp
20+ POA?! Woah. Sounds awesome!

Reaction score
simonh77 said:
JediClones said:

I have a loose Grey Hulk, Hobgoblin, Electro, spidey and Iron man. for 1 carded SW figs? I'll even throw in an IM2 Iron monger!!
I don't do online trades.

Reaction score
JediClones said:

If you want decent basic versions of the main Marvel heroes I'd suggest the Secret Wars 2 packs that came out last year, as those are based on the 1980s comic, all the heroes are in their classic garb plus each set comes with a reproduction of an issue of the original Secret Wars mini series (massive nostalgia blast for me as that was the first series where I discovered the Marvel heroes outside of the Hulk and Spidey for the first time). The Hulk figure in that line is seriously good (although green), one great huge piece of plastic for your money!

Reaction score
Is anyone here collecting the Masters of the Universe Classics? I know there's a thread or three in the Cartoon Toys section about them, but I was hoping for a UK perspective.
I had a blast collecting the last MOTU toys at retail in 2002, and I've been biding my time waiting for the classics (with memories of the various times I've been ripped off in my collecting years) to come down in price on ebay, but 2 years in, and if anything, the prices are going up (seriously - £60 for She-Ra???? She has the exact same amount of plastic in her as a WWE figure I could pick up for £8!) despite a few being re-issued. So I'm contemplating setting my alarm for 2am ( Which I believe is 7pm in the States) the next time there's an online sale where re-issues of what I want are up for grabs and braving the White Screen of Death on Mattycollector.com with our brothers in the States.

So my question is, has anyone else here had much joy getting Masters figures this way? How bad is the shipping cost/customs charge (Will they even ship to the UK?) and how long do they take to arrive?

I know Mattel offer some kind of subscription, but there's only a few characters I want, so I don't think that would be the way to go.

My great white hope is that the MOTU/DC Universe 2 packs will show up at TRU, but knowing that TRU in GB couldn't organise a knees up at the Carlsberg factory, as my ex used to put it "I've 2 hopes, Bob Hope and No Hope"!

Even my secret agent in Florida (AKA my Mother-in-law) couldn't find the MOTU/DC 2 packs in the Toys R Us stores there!

Reaction score
karnorjax said:
All the cool stuff have a good few motu figs on stock
Thanks for that, good to know as I hadn't seen any MOTU Classics in any UK bricks and mortar retailer.

Reaction score
I also collect Bad Taste Bears, but the last one I got was a Yoda bear so I cant talk about that!!

And comics... last purchase of an Early Fantastic Four the other day.. which helped curb my Star Wars obsession.
Always thought about collecting a nuber of different action figure lines, Marvel, DC, Star Trek etc.. but space seems to be the biggest factor over cost.

Reaction score
TRU in Reading have some new MU figs,2010 w4 w/ Cap from 2009 w2 as well.
Thinking of picking up a few more Skrulls from that wave, hopefully Entertainer will get them in for £4

Cheers,
Doug

Reaction score
Entertanier in Solihull has a load of half price Transformers which seem well worth the pennies.
Also quite a few Marvel Universe figures for £4 a pop and several Iron Man figures at half price. I must resist!!!

Reaction score
darth_elizium said:
JediClones said:

If you want decent basic versions of the main Marvel heroes I'd suggest the Secret Wars 2 packs that came out last year, as those are based on the 1980s comic, all the heroes are in their classic garb plus each set comes with a reproduction of an issue of the original Secret Wars mini series (massive nostalgia blast for me as that was the first series where I discovered the Marvel heroes outside of the Hulk and Spidey for the first time). The Hulk figure in that line is seriously good (although green), one great huge piece of plastic for your money!
I want the ultimate basic versions of the main Marvel heroes

Reaction score
i belive they hit uk less than teo weeks ago we wont see series two tilll at least the movie realse so another month to catch up.

Reaction score
Abstractharmony said:
Awwww......maaaannnn

When did the Thor toys hit?

PUDU! Gonna be playing catch up now...
They have the first wave at Toys "R" Us not sure how much.

Not much at Toys "R" Us Marvel wise, far too much Iron Man 2, and a few old Marvel Universe figures, the only one I'm interested in is Captain America, but paying £7.99 for an old figure which will most likely be remade in the near future from a line I haven't started collecting yet, I passed. I'll see if I can find any for £4, though.

Reaction score
Asda last night had two larger (5" I think) Thor figures, cost about £9.97. one had a light up chest and hammer. Likeness was pretty good.

Personally not a huge Thor fan, so waiting on Captain America toys to hit.

Reaction score
Had a look at the Captain America wave online thats coming out, looks like its going to be like the IM2 series a mixture of movie and comic figures - not sure what to make of that! the movie stuff looks cool but as I have marvel universe's ultimates I think I'll stay clear of the comic series.
The Thor figures look amazing! the first wave I think there are 9 Thor's in a case
so all the good stuff I expect to see in future waves.... if the toy line lasts that long... as I fear we will see a repeat of the Indiana Jones fiasco

Reaction score
I'm only worried about the stupid price point - £8.99 for a movie figure without the obvious kid-pull of an Iron Man or the fan base/history of Star Wars behind it might find selling whole waves a struggle - I wont be completing waves at that price and I've waited almost 40 years to see Thor on a movie screen.

Plus some of the figures are just too "kiddie" for my liking - light up hammers are great (and they are great) but not at the expense of no-knee articulation and bobble-headed sculpts. The Battle hammer Thor is a little work of art though.....

Got Scourge, Kup and Wheeljack through the post today - frikkin awesome figures. If the very best of the Vinatge Swars line wasn't as fantatic as it is (General Lando, Nickto Jedi etc) TF's would be THE line for me at the moment, haven't had so much fun in years.

Also picked up another Colossus and Juggernaut in Entertainer - because they were there. Really hope they actually shift some of this stuff and get latter waves in. £4 here beats importing from the States anyday....

Reaction score
I saw the Thor figures in smyths today at £7.99 each. They look quite well done but I doubt I'll collect that line as Thor isn't really my thing.

Reaction score

Best thing I've bought in a LONG time. I'd had so much fun with this it's just plain ridiculous. If you're on the fence about getting a 3DS, get one, you won't regret it.

Reaction score
very nice item... but splinter Cell ?? PLEASE ....

LEGO STAR WARS 3 for sure ???? hope you got that too ?

Reaction score
Got my 3DS as well yesterday. Pilotwings is taking me back about 20 years to my University days!

Is Splinter Cell any good? I was tempted but the reviews haven't been that great.

Reaction score
Splinter Cell is pretty good actually. The graphics are pretty good for such a small console. I'd say that they were on par with the Wii.

And no, I didn't get LSW3, those Lego spin-off games just don't interest me at all.

Reaction score
Finally some new Marvel Universe at TRU!

Picked up Skrull ('cause I've been using him on MvC3) and Iron Patriot
Really cool to finally see an Ultimate Captain America, but not overly impressed by him, so I'll stick with the different Cap that I have.

I can see Mary Janes pegwarming for ages, they've already got 2 there....

Toyz and Gamez had Dark Hawkeye and Moonknight (I saw him for £8 at Jarrolds for ages, umming and ahing, then he went
) but at £15 each
Can't justify that...

@JediClones, Toyz and Gamez had a Grey Hulk too.

Hopefully the Ghost Rider I eBayed should show up soon too, had my eye on a Yellowjacket, but got outbid