U-Wing

Reaction score
That's not what I was getting. It told me my "software was out of date" and needed updates. Ended up putting a lot of junk pop up type apps on my computer which took me some time to get rid of. And probably some kind of virus.
I have so many various pop up and ad blockers running that I didn't see any of that. Always ignore those popups if you do get them. If you are using Firefox, I encourage you to get adblock plus, and Chrome has many options as well.

Reaction score
I must admit I was completely astonished when I first saw this thread a few days ago. Whills_Scholar, you have done such an amazing job with this U-Wing Fighter that I was literally blown away. I felt a compulsion within me wanting to do this. The fact that you provided the pictures and templates to actually build it to scale with the 3.75" figure line was finally what gave me the final push to do it.

So I've spent the last two days building my own, using your templates. And I must say the results are simply marvelous.

It's far from being complete. But it's getting there.

Again, a HUGE thanks to Whills_Scholar for sharing his art and giving us the opportunity to use his incredible talent to build this ship.

Reaction score
That is some fine craftsmanship JediPatrick along with Whills_Scholar. I was not expecting to see so much dedication to scratch build this ship in this thread. By comparison my lazy custom here is almost embarrassing, but I will share it anyway for those who are interested. I knew these Transformers Human Alliance figures would come in handy at some point. I think they are perfectly in scale with this vehicle. There is nothing to propping them up inside. Simply place them in a sitting pose and place their feet under the elastic. They are so small their feet have enough leverage to hold them up as though they are seated. Just a small battery led in the footwell with some red permanent marker on it to get the purplish interior light glow.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
That is some fine craftsmanship JediPatrick along with Whills_Scholar. I was not expecting to see so much dedication to scratch build this ship in this thread.
Thanks! I've dreamed of actually building this thing to scale from the time I've seen what Hasbro produced. I was always disappointed by what Hasbro gave us, although it served its purpose for display. I guess seeing what Whills_Scholar made was the only thing I needed to follow my guts and attempt this (this also with the fact that I finally found a job after 4 months of searches, beginning to work March 27th, so I had three full weeks ahead of me without any more stress to work on a customizing project! LOL)

So here's my quick update. Managed to cut the ship's haul to allow opening the top section.

Reinforced the wings so they don't warp too much:

Also added the front guns and some details on the engines:

And, of course, put some neat seats for the pilot and his co-pilot:

The ship has a total length of 1.24m (more than 4ft) in closed wings configuration and a wingspan of 1.72m (5'-8") in open wings configuration. This is a beast I will certainly have problems fitting in my tiny Star Wars Collection Bunker Room. :p :grin:

Reaction score
Man that is AMAZING! Even the fact you have Walmart exclusive Cassian is amazing to me, because there is nowhere near me in my state that sells them. I love the cockpit layout. It looks exactly right. I can't wait to see you guys finish these things. Congrats and good luck with the new job. Well done brother!

Reaction score
I thought it was an orange soda.
It's a craft beer here in Australia called Moutain Goat Summer Ale.

It's a little ****** for my tastes. Much like the guys in Melbourne who brew it I'd say. Great ice cold on a hot summer's day, but then what isn't? Would not recommend.

Would actually prefer a Coors while playing with my figures. But nothing beats a XXXX :D for just about any activity.

Reaction score
Man that is AMAZING! Even the fact you have Walmart exclusive Cassian is amazing to me, because there is nowhere near me in my state that sells them. I love the cockpit layout. It looks exactly right. I can't wait to see you guys finish these things. Congrats and good luck with the new job. Well done brother!
Thanks! The cockpit seats are somewhat crude but I need to reason myself this is a toy meant for displaying figures, not a real important things. I have a tendency to always go the extra mile for things that are not apparent, so decided these will do just fine as is. I need to put some details on the side consoles but that'll be it mostly. Still need to do the bench for the troop carrier section, that way Jyn will be able properly sit looking down at Jedha. :)

For that Cassian Andor figure, well I've made some trades with the 6 inches Revan wave in December with people on Instagram. Managed to grab a few of these to cover my needs and those of my two friends. They came up to be approx. 27 CAD$ each after the trade (that's roughly $20 USD).

See in Canada, there's been sightings of the first batch (Jyn and the Death Troopers) but these were very scarcely distributed. There's still some Jyn Erso on the WM.ca website, but no Death Troopers anymore (obviously). For the Cassian and Scarif Trooper wave, it's nowhere to be found in Canada, whether in stores or on WM.ca. These have simply not reach our land yet and from what we've learned all the products have been rerouted to the USA and barely made it to the Hasbro Canada warehouse (Walmart USA has screamed and Walmart Canada obeyed and sent the stock away). We do hope these figures will make it for April 4th when the Rogue One DVD gets released, but nothing is sure. Honestly, Canada is a dry land for these figures... :(

Reaction score
Thanks! I've dreamed of actually building this thing to scale from the time I've seen what Hasbro produced. I was always disappointed by what Hasbro gave us, although it served its purpose for display. I guess seeing what Whills_Scholar made was the only thing I needed to follow my guts and attempt this (this also with the fact that I finally found a job after 4 months of searches, beginning to work March 27th, so I had three full weeks ahead of me without any more stress to work on a customizing project! LOL)

So here's my quick update. Managed to cut the ship's haul to allow opening the top section.

Reinforced the wings so they don't warp too much:

Also added the front guns and some details on the engines:

And, of course, put some neat seats for the pilot and his co-pilot:

The ship has a total length of 1.24m (more than 4ft) in closed wings configuration and a wingspan of 1.72m (5'-8") in open wings configuration. This is a beast I will certainly have problems fitting in my tiny Star Wars Collection Bunker Room. :p :grin:

Great improvement on the original ship! I wonder how expensive it would be if this was an actual product.

Reaction score
Perhaps one day we'll see a "Hero" version that actually fits the scale. I'm pretty sure they would sell like hotcakes at the appropriate price point.

Reaction score
Did not intend to pick this up but saw it for $19.87 at a Wal Mart today and figured what the heck. It's not bad, I'd say it's a $30 vehicle if I am being reasonable.

Does anyone know if Wal Mart is also discounting the TIE Strikers?

Reaction score
Perhaps one day we'll see a "Hero" version that actually fits the scale. I'm pretty sure they would sell like hotcakes at the appropriate price point.
Nothing against this ship personally, nor the people who like it. But I'd much rather get a "Hero" version of Maul's ship, the Outrider, or Sail Barge long before this eve happened!

Reaction score
Nothing against this ship personally, nor the people who like it. But I'd much rather get a "Hero" version of Maul's ship, the Outrider, or Sail Barge long before this eve happened!
Absolutely! All of the above!

To be clear; By "Hero" version I meant the Hero Series like the big hollow X-wing and Falcon. A BMF style Outrider would be way too cool to be true for hasbro.

Reaction score
My bad, when I saw "Hero" version. I thought of the movie term that describes the "Accurate" model used for up close shots.

Reaction score
I jumped at $20. I do wish it could seat 2 pilots and had a compartment for a gunner rather than the nerf launcher, but the nerf launcher doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would since it hides in the body. I'd like a few more for my Rebels. I have no desire to buy the Tie Stryker.

JVM

Reaction score
Yeah, well, the pertinent part is 'appropriate price point'. Nobody was excited for the previous 'Hero' vehicles at Hasbro's MSRP, and they sold to collectors at low clearance at no real payback to Hasbro.

Reaction score
Yeah, well, the pertinent part is 'appropriate price point'. Nobody was excited for the previous 'Hero' vehicles at Hasbro's MSRP, and they sold to collectors at low clearance at no real payback to Hasbro.
Yes anything sells at the "appropriate price point". Something Hasbro seems to be failing to understand. Maybe because some collectors will starve themselves to get certain items at ridiculous retail prices, then the secondary scalper market practically reinforces the initial price point by going full tard.

As a collector, time seems to be the great equalizer. If we can wait years for the next movie, I have no problem waiting years, sometimes only 6 months for things to lose their luster and fanboy frenzy appeal to get it for a song. Sometimes I wonder how Hasbro sustains itself with so much overpriced shelf space.

Reaction score
I guess this has been spotted at as low as $9.97
Anybody know the brickseek UPC for this ? would love to find one in my area for my kids

Reaction score
I saw this and the Striker for $20 at wal-mart over the weekend. If it dipped to $10 I'd probably grab one for the heck of it. That's what happened with the Poe's blue x-wing sitting in the corner. ;)

Reaction score
1:18 scale U-Wing UPDATE: gluing and detailing

To celebrate the online release of Rogue One today, here are several new shots. All that is left to do is paint.

I updated the template package to include photos that show how the detailing is done. The engines get the most work. This update also includes color decal sheets. I took the art from the original papercraft model, vectorized the graphics, and enlarged them.

I don’t anticipate the need to release another update, as far as my own work on this project is concerned. So, I think I can say with a sigh of relief that I’m finished! :)

I will put up photos of my U-Wing in the future after I’ve painted it. I’d like to get this done before the Blu-ray release of the movie, but I’m predicting this is unlikely with my work schedule.

I do hope others will make their own U-Wing from these templates, and add their own features and enhancements to it. (Feel free to host the zip package if you want.) After all the work I went through these months, I’d love to see others pick up what I did and share their own work with the SW toy customizing community!

“U-wing 1-18 scale templates w UPDATE 1”
https://www.mediafire.com/?zui1txjdl0svrfu

Reaction score
Damn that looks SWEET!

You could maybe get this made up to mass produce as a kit. Market it as the "Alliance Light Troop Transport". :)

I would consider buying one for sure!

Reaction score
this is my u-wing hasbro , still so underscaled but with two pilots seats and a real troop transport with two sliding hatch doors. i had fun to work on this project wip actually on details , new pics coming soon after a good weathering

Reaction score
Okay, my work in progress...

Rear engine block details:

Rear haul detailing:

Light up engines:

Work bench area (my wife is tired of seeing this thing on the counter top):

Full view of the beast with haul and wing haul pattern:

Interior design and painting:

Trying to complete by this coming weekend. I'm a little too perfectionist and it doesn't help putting an end to this project... :p

Reaction score
Okay, my work in progress...

Rear engine block details:

Rear haul detailing:

Light up engines:

Work bench area (my wife is tired of seeing this thing on the counter top):

Full view of the beast with haul and wing haul pattern:

Interior design and painting:

Trying to complete by this coming weekend. I'm a little too perfectionist and it doesn't help putting an end to this project... :p
it looks fantastic, awesome job. Can you seat action figures in the cockpit? cause the seats looks like it wont be able to seat any figures, they look very detail do.

Reaction score
it looks fantastic, awesome job. Can you seat action figures in the cockpit? cause the seats looks like it wont be able to seat any figures, they look very detail do.
Thanks!

And yes, of course, I can sit down 3.75" figures in the cockpit seats. That's the whole point of actually building it to scale! :)