U-3P0 - ESB Wave B-A-D

Reaction score
MaizeNBlueSith said:
Got a question for eveyone with both shades of this droid. I just completed a trade with someone for a Silver version of this thinking I had the Champagne version and now I'm not so sure which one I have after looking at the comparison photos. Would you say that the Silver one is a shiny silver like the Episode 1 TC-14 figure or a dull silver. It looks like the Champagne one is almost a very light tan / gold in the photos. I received my droid parts through HasbroToyShop.com and I thought I read that everyone received the Champagne color from HTS and most people found the Silver color parts at Target along with the Skirtless Hoth Rebel Trooper. Any help clearing this up would be awsome.
The date stamps on the back of the cardback (indented numbers) are located by the figure lineup are helpful for this variation. The numbers for the silver droid parts I found were with figures dated 90501 which are early producion. The champagne droid parts had the date stamps of 90571 & 90621 which are a later production batch. This should help with some confusion as long as you have the cardbacks.

lisaleia77

Reaction score
I'm glad I was able to pick up the silver-colored U-3P0 parts. I think down the line I'll want to buy doubles and put together the slightly-yellowed version.

Reaction score
Thought I had a silver, so happily picked up a champagne thinking one would be U-3PO and one would be E-3PO. They look exactly the same -- guess I have two champagnes. (No cardbacks to check!) Truth be told, I'm totally confused. Ah well. Still cool figures.

Reaction score
It is hard to tell what color a part is if all the figures at a given store have the same color, but it's obvious if there's something to compare.

That's why I bring this champagne arm that I got by mistake (thinking it was silver at the time) if I know I'm going to be in a store with toys. It's saved me from buying another champagne part by accident, but no luck on finding a pair of silver arms...

Reaction score
on way to tell, is try to get a look at the joint. If its the same color as the figure, its champagne. If not, its silver.

Reaction score
TheRealMrMaul said:
Here are the two helping each other out! I still need a leg. I hope this helps some of you out.

Not to pick nits, and just to point out how difficult it is to tell the colors apart - are you SURE about that left arm? It looks mighty silver to me in the photo.

Reaction score
INDY said:
Not to pick nits, and just to point out how difficult it is to tell the colors apart - are you SURE about that left arm? It looks mighty silver to me in the photo.
That's funny because Hasbro says you can't tell the difference between the two colors, so it shouldn't be a problem building this droid. lol

Reaction score
Big thanks to LisaLeia77 for posting those date codes on page two. Very helpful in sorting through several sets of this wave at Wal-mart to put together a champagne set.

Reaction score
Absolutely - thanks, Lisa!

I found three of the new figures tonight (finally!) at Wal*Mart (Luke, Needa, and Ugnaught). My date stamps are different than the ones you listed (but are all the same, thankfully). 90681 is a code for the champagne colored droid parts (at least I think that's what it is).

-Nate

Reaction score
Argh! I've found 5/6 Silver U-3PO parts but can't for the life of me find a SILVER Head !!!

In 10 stores I've been through 20-30 ESB Lukes and Greatest Hits Vaders and I've found nothing but champagne colored U-3PO heads... no silver.

Can anyone help me out here? Silver Upes needs a head!

Reaction score
Life as a completist is getting rough with these repaints. I'll receive my wave this week and am secretly wishing for the silver variant. Apparently more difficult to get and he looks nicer to me than the champagne one.

Reaction score
Well, I managed to complete my SILVER Upes to go with the CHAMPAGNE one I got when I first found the wave a month or so back.

Since the ESB Wave stock seems to have dried up at local Targets, and any new stock would probably have the new 'fixed' champagne colored droid parts, I set out these past four days to find the final piece I needed to build a SILVER U-3PO, and hit 15 different walmarts all over my state.

No luck at any of those... and I seriously must have went through 35-50 ESB Lukes and GH Vaders and didn't find a single one with a Silver head packed in... I saw lots of other silver parts, but no head (just like my ex-fiancee).

Finally, at my last stop of the night, nay the last stop of this quest (I was ready to buy a champagne head and paint it and give up on it), I found a GH Vader at the last walmart on my route with the earlier date stamp and a Silver U-3PO head in it. Yay!

Geez, I haven't hunted like that for a SW toy since Episode III was out... but droids are always worth the hunt for me, especially HTF (at least around here) variant droids.

Reaction score
ShyTown said:
So which color will ship longer? Which is the one it was "supposed" to be and will continue to be?
silver = first = no longer shipping = error version
champagne = second = still shipping = correct version

Reaction score
Just to clear things up as my inbox got flooded with PMs, Im going to keep my silver U3PO. However, if any of the people who offered to trade champagne for silver(or if you have an extra champagne) I will gladly buy!

Reaction score
tarcanes92 said:
ShyTown said:
So which color will ship longer? Which is the one it was "supposed" to be and will continue to be?
silver = first = no longer shipping = error version
champagne = second = still shipping = correct version

Thanks man!!

Reaction score
Basically any of the later datestamps after 90571 should be the corrected champagne color.

The date stamps on the back of the cardback (indented numbers) are located by the figure lineup are helpful for this variation. The numbers for the silver droid parts I found were with figures dated 90501 which are early producion. The champagne droid parts had the date stamps of 90571 & 90621 or later which are a later/corrected production batch.

LisaLeia77

reposted the datestamp information for those still looking for silver droid parts.

Reaction score
Darth_McBaine said:
Damn! Got the champagne version!

My completion days are now truly over. I refuse to double up on these figures just for a paint variant or paying silly money on the net.
Yeah, I wouldn't either. Also, the difference is so subtle that it's not even worth it. It only really shows in photos. In my Tungsten lit room you can't even see the difference.

Reaction score
I'm still not sure which I have.

Can anybody do a photo next to silver RA7? Is the silver U-3PO the exact same colour as this figure?

Confused!

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I've yet to see any champagne parts. Every single part I've found is silver!

Reaction score
Darth_Satan said:

Can anybody do a photo next to silver RA7? Is the silver U-3PO the exact same colour as this figure?

Confused!
It's ever so slightly more metallic than the RA-7. I don't have a complete silver version of U-3PO yet buy compare these parts in the pic and you should see what I mean. Those are MB-RA-7 parts on the left and silver U-3PO on the right...

Daigo_Bah said:
Really? I've found the champagne ones seem to be the easier to get through the channels I have used. I'm struggling to build my silver version. If you happen to have any extra parts to trade Daigo-Bah, I have tonnes of spare parts from almost every other droid. Please drop me a PM.

Reaction score
ReverendStrone said:
Darth_Satan said:

Confused!
It's ever so slightly more metallic than the RA-7. I don't have a complete silver version of U-3PO yet buy compare these parts in the pic and you should see what I mean. Those are MB-RA-7 parts on the left and silver U-3PO on the right...

Daigo_Bah said:
Really? I've found the champagne ones seem to be the easier to get through the channels I have used. I'm struggling to build my silver version. If you happen to have any extra parts to trade Daigo-Bah, I have tonnes of spare parts from almost every other droid. Please drop me a PM.
Thanks! I think I have champagne then, even though I got him early before the variation news broke. My conclusion: If it's so hard to tell it isn't worth bothering with

Reaction score
Darth_Satan said:
I think I have champagne then, even though I got him early before the variation news broke. My conclusion: If it's so hard to tell it isn't worth bothering with
You're welcome. You can tell by looking at the joints, particularly the knees. If the plastic ring in the center of the knees is the same colour as the rest of the leg, you have the champagne version. If it is noticeably diferent, you're looking at silver. I have parts from both and they jump out as different in natural daylight, but under artificial light inside in the evening, they're indistinguishable.

Reaction score
Daigo_Bah said:
I thought the same myself...but then realized that it was the opposite...they were all champagne...

Reaction score
Sorry to rez this old thread.

I did a parts swap with another scummer overseas, and apparently the parts I thought were silver were not silver.

The only cardback I have left is from the Ugnaut and it had the low number on it of 90561, so that would mean the left arm of the droid in these pics is "silver" but honestly I can't really tell the difference. The right-leg that I mailed out was from the Imperial Engineer, and unless the information is complete, the RS archive says that figure was only shipped with the silver part.

Any help would be appreciated! If there are any UK scummers who have a spare silver right arm/right leg, perhaps I can trade with you and have you send the stuff on to the fellow I exchanged with.

Reaction score
Sorry to reply to my own post, but just wanted take one last shot to see if anyone could help me suss out which parts are which before I send another package to the UK.

I seem to be completely colorblind to this variant.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I've got both variants and the difference is pretty subtle. The best way to see the difference is, in good lighting, look at an appendage (arm, leg, head) and compare to the other color figure's same appendage. When seeing the shade difference against the color of the attachment pegs it is much easier to see the difference.

Hope this makes sense.

If just holding up 2 of the complete droids, it is hard to tell especially if your lighting is off.

Reaction score
If you're looking at them under indoor lighting, give up as it's almost impossible to tell. The warm indoor light makes even silver parts look champagne. You need to take them to a window and look at them under natural daylight (which is slightly blue). Under natural light the difference becomes far more obvious.

Reaction score
I hope I can find the variant somewhere ... It seems that here in Germany there is only the silver variant ...

I bought "my" U-3PO lose, and I'm happy, it wasn't too expensive.

What I still miss is the black Death Star Droid, never came to Germany ... No joke ... The case assortments were changed so that black parts never arrived here ...

P.S. : Can please someone send me a PM pointing me towards where I can read which figures have which BAD parts ?

I think I've lost track of everything ... I think I remember there was a thread containing this info, but I don't remember anymore where ...

Edit : Just found it !