U-3P0 - ESB Wave B-A-D

Reaction score
ReverendStrone said:
That's the way I look on it too. This BaD figure isn't U-3PO as fasr as I'm concerned, just another cool pewter coloured droid. I did the same thing as Darth Brett with the Endor C-3PO to get my own U-3PO - it worked great.
Did you do anything with the flat gold knee joint, or is it not that noticeable against the silver?

Reaction score
doc46 said:
ReverendStrone said:
That's the way I look on it too. This BaD figure isn't U-3PO as fasr as I'm concerned, just another cool pewter coloured droid. I did the same thing as Darth Brett with the Endor C-3PO to get my own U-3PO - it worked great.
Did you do anything with the flat gold knee joint, or is it not that noticeable against the silver?
A little silver and black paint knocked it back enough so as to not be all that noticeable. I also applied an aging wash to him, in part to cover a few spots where I was a little over enthusiastic with my removal of gold and lost some of the silver as well and in part just to help him look nice and "lived in." I didn't manage to get all the gold out of the hollows on him, but that just helps give him more of a white gold or warm silver look anyways, which he had in the movie to my eyes. He's not perfect, but until we get an official one that is va metal from Hasbro, he's good enough.

Reaction score
Re: U-3P0 - ESB Wave B-A-D VARIANTS

I was building my U-3P0 the other day and noticed that it's left leg was silver and all the other pieces were champagne in color.

The silver piece was from a Needa bought at a Target and the other pieces were from ESB figures bought at Walmart. So it seems the earlier U-3P0 variant is the silver one.

Below are pictures:

Reaction score

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll keep an eye out for the champaigne coloured parts if they're around.

I'm just blown away by the lovely detail this updated protocol droid figure has, bravo Hasbro!

Well on the money.

Reaction score

That is a pretty noticeable difference. I actually like the champagne version more. Guess I'll be buying another set of figures when I see this variation.

Reaction score

Well at least mine all match, so I'm only bothered if turns out one of them is meant to be a running change to E-3PO

Reaction score

It's good that the more champagne color is being made. I had found Needa during the intial shipments and the leg he comes with is very silver. The arm I got last night with the Hoth Trooper, now that this is brought up, does look more champagneish. Well, the others I have on order will hopefully be champagne colored.

Reaction score

Anyone else bothered by the deletion of the rods on the insides of the elbows from these super articulated protocol droids? I'd like to see a new C-3PO, but I'd want it to have them since they are an important detail that shouldn't be missing.

John

Reaction score

RebelTrooper said:
Anyone else bothered by the deletion of the rods on the insides of the elbows from these super articulated protocol droids? I'd like to see a new C-3PO, but I'd want it to have them since they are an important detail that shouldn't be missing.

John
Yeah I though they cracked it with the old R3-P0 mold. Seems like we have gone backwards.

Reaction score

Darth_Satan said:
Well at least mine all match, so I'm only bothered if turns out one of them is meant to be a running change to E-3PO
While it's possible, I doubt that's what we're seeing here. I've done a little work with Hasbro's toy developers in on another line and they have problems getting a consistent finish with metallic tinged plastics. Often they have swirls or uneven colour. I think perhaps what we're seeing here is either inconsistencies in the mixing of the plastic between different batches or maybe a change in the recipe mid-run. It's also possible the parts are being produced in more than one facility, so that would again cause some variation. We saw the same thing with the Bail and Breha Organa figures and their skin tones and I wonder if that's the same thing rather than a conscious running change. I could be wrong of course.

Reaction score

RebelTrooper said:

John
The 3PO protocol droids rarely and can barely extend their arms into a straight arm position. I would rather have a "locked" elbow with a piston ala R-3PO, and ball jointed shoulder under a sleeve cuff (4-LOM) with swivel wrists. Perhaps have one arm/elbow extended a bit more. Then you could put his arms into almost any natural position that a 3PO droid would be seen making.

Here is a pic of Threepio, with his arms extended as far as they can go...

Proponents of SA must want their toys to bend into every conceivable and unnatural position. I would prefer screen accuracy and nothing "beyond" that. Also, I think with a non articulated elbow, they may be able to vac-metallize this figure.

Reaction score

veedeo said:
I was building my U-3P0 the other day and noticed that it's left leg was silver and all the other pieces were champagne in color.

The silver piece was from a Needa bought at a Target and the other pieces were from ESB figures bought at Walmart. So it seems the earlier U-3P0 variant is the silver one.

Below are pictures:

Did the Rebel Trooper you got at Walmart have the Skirt? That could show that it's a running change to the champagne color. All my pieces are silver and I collected the set from 2 different Targets on 2 different weeks. My Hothe trooper has no skirt and the silver arm.

Reaction score

Droidworld said:
The 3PO protocol droids rarely and can barely extend their arms into a straight arm position. I would rather have a "locked" elbow with a piston ala R-3PO, and ball jointed shoulder under a sleeve cuff (4-LOM) with swivel wrists. Perhaps have one arm/elbow extended a bit more. Then you could put his arms into almost any natural position that a 3PO droid would be seen making.

Here is a pic of Threepio, with his arms extended as far as they can go...

Proponents of SA must want their toys to bend into every conceivable and unnatural position. I would prefer screen accuracy and nothing "beyond" that. Also, I think with a non articulated elbow, they may be able to vac-metallize this figure.
Agreed 100%. I don't need protocol droids that can do kalisthenics. I'd rather have droids that look like they do in the movies. I thought the Endor 3PO was a good mold with as much as I would expect for a toy of a protocol droid. It had all the articulation it needed and looked just like the character.

Reaction score

ReverendStrone said:
While it's possible, I doubt that's what we're seeing here. I've done a little work with Hasbro's toy developers in on another line and they have problems getting a consistent finish with metallic tinged plastics. Often they have swirls or uneven colour. I think perhaps what we're seeing here is either inconsistencies in the mixing of the plastic between different batches or maybe a change in the recipe mid-run. It's also possible the parts are being produced in more than one facility, so that would again cause some variation. We saw the same thing with the Bail and Breha Organa figures and their skin tones and I wonder if that's the same thing rather than a conscious running change. I could be wrong of course.
Rev, thanks for your insight to this but I think something that lends credence to the running change theory is that U-3PO's droid parts are painted and not metallic tinged plastics. If they were, I would totally agree with your plastic formulation/batch scenario. I'd say the next best theory is the parts being produced in separate locations.

Reaction score

jedichicken said:
Did the Rebel Trooper you got at Walmart have the Skirt? That could show that it's a running change to the champagne color. All my pieces are silver and I collected the set from 2 different Targets on 2 different weeks. My Hothe trooper has no skirt and the silver arm.
Yes, all the rebel troopers I got have the mini-skirt and champagne droid parts.

Reaction score

can someone post a pic comparing the 2 U-3PO variants to the RA-7 from ROTS wave? thanks in advance

Reaction score

I noticed the color difference today. I picked up Needa and the Hoth Rebel Trooper at a local Target roughly two weeks ago ... and I just got the remaining four figures from the wave today via HTS. The two I bought at Target have silver parts. The parts that came with the HTS order are the champagne color. So, my droid has mismatched parts ... and I'm OK with that. It adds a bit of charm to the character.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Here's a pretty good comparison pic:

GNT

Reaction score
ReverendStrone said:
Could be this was the colour they were wanting all along and it's a running correction, like the skirt on the Hoth soldier.
As long as they release all the parts in both colours it would be welcomed but if they release only a couple parts in the different colours that could be very annoying.

Reaction score
Don't want to highjack the thread, but I have a complete-except-for-the-head silver version. Would be willing to trade him for a single loose figure. If anyone wants my trade list, just PM me. (EDIT: I have a trade pending. Will answer further PM's in order if that falls through. Thanks.)

Reaction score
I've wanted a U-3PO figure for a long time - so long as the set I get from HTS in a few days arrives with the champagne colored droid I'll be happy I sprung a few $'s extra for the online order.

I'll also have to show off the new talent I've learned in distinguishing silver from champagne the next time the wife and I have to visit a Home Depot or a Lowes.

Reaction score
Looking at the picture above he seems to be the same color as C-3PO's right leg, which has always been silver, perhaps it's the set lightning that makes it look different and silver is the right color.

Reaction score
Diego said:
Looking at the picture above he seems to be the same color as C-3PO's right leg, which has always been silver, perhaps it's the set lightning that makes it look different and silver is the right color.
...and yet another grey/black Death Star Commander scenario...it's the lights/camera angles/something up someones butt/you know the arguement...

Reaction score
AS i've ordered this wave from two different sources (US + UK) i'm worried about getting mixed colors BAD parts. Crossing fingers for whole "champagne" U-3PO.

Reaction score
Anybody got 1 of each color yet or 1 complete color?

Reaction score
I am planning on buying the color based on what U-3PO's accurate depiction is. I wonder if they are going to release an E-3PO build a droid in a later wave or if they are just going to expect people to buy 2 of each in this wave in order to have both E-3PO and U-3PO. I hope that isn't the case because I really don't want to have to buy doubles of this wave. It is a decent wave but it isn't as good as the first ANH wave or the upcoming TPM wave in my opinion. At least it's better than the AOTC wave. I hope the 2nd ESB and ANH waves have better line ups that the first ones and I hope the ROTJ wave looks as good as it sounds. It should be a good rest of the year as long as the schedules don't get pushed back any more.

Reaction score
TK_842 said:
AS i've ordered this wave from two different sources (US + UK) i'm worried about getting mixed colors BAD parts. Crossing fingers for whole "champagne" U-3PO.
The difference is more subtle in person than it is in pictures.

Reaction score
I have only seen the silver pieces, and only on the case repacked figures (Vader, Imperial Gunner, and Coruscant Clone)

Oh, wait....no, I did see a Palpatine at Rite Aid...for $11.49!!!!!

Reaction score
mandalorehunter said:
I am planning on buying the color based on what U-3PO's accurate depiction is. I wonder if they are going to release an E-3PO build a droid in a later wave or if they are just going to expect people to buy 2 of each in this wave in order to have both E-3PO and U-3PO. I hope that isn't the case because I really don't want to have to buy doubles of this wave.
Considering how similar looking the two droids are I would be very surprised if they released E-3PO as a BaD. It seems far more likely to me that any possible future reuse of U-3PO's tooliong would be for a very differently coloured droid like the red and black TC-4 or some other EU protocol droid with extreme colouring. E-3PO and U-3PO are simly too similar looking to be released this way in a range that is all about variety rather than similarity (just look at how they have picked astromechs of widely varying hues). There's no real play value in mixing parts between droids that are so similar you need to squint at them to see the colour change (exaggeration I know, but that'd be Hasbro's position, I'm sure).

Reaction score

Daigo_Bah said:

U-3PO is the same color in this image as 3PO's right calf, which we know is silver. Silver is reflective, and the champaigne color we see is a reflection of the surroundings. If you look closely, the walls also have this reddish/pink hue. I'm satisfied the droid is silver.

Reaction score
Simdog said:
Anybody got 1 of each color yet or 1 complete color?
I found one of each color today. Local walmart had restocked with several cases. One set of the 'new' figures had the silver pieces. All the rest of the new (3 or more sets) and all of the repack figures had the champagne color. I only bought one Luke and forgot to check to see if his little wand is a different color as well.