U-3P0 - ESB Wave B-A-D

Reaction score
Since1978 said:
it's to do with how the parts work from a B-A-D (i.e. non-factory assembled) standpoint
Hey '78, please clear up what that means. I've read it several times but I'm just not understanding it.

(side note:)By the way, I just want to thank you for all your hard work at this forum, great Mod.

Reaction score
'preciate that - I think it's to do with the way the parts are made, and that they don't assemble correctly - not really sure, as they were not specific in their answer, they just said that vacmetal wouldn't work with the building aspect of the B-A-D line (they question came up last summer when the first photos of the RA-7s surfaced on the poster). I posted a question in the Dear Hasbro section that will hopefully be asked at some point soon - in an effort to shed more light on the subject.

Reaction score
They've done a few "take-apart" C-3PO's so I think it's valid to question, but I'm guessing that doing Vac-metal in a way that the joints work without chipping is just too expensive. Honestly, I'd take 5-point articulation over non-vac-metal for these guys.

Reaction score
VintijDroidGutzz said:
Yeah, U-3PO isn't exactly silver. I thought it was E-3PO?
it is. i think they made a mistake. u-2po is kind of a platinum color. e-3po is silver and maybe they just have the name confused

Reaction score
The mid sections are different colours on each droid though, & this one has the darker type.
I think people have settled on it being U-3PO from the general progression of this thread.

Reaction score
He looks better than in previous pictures IMO. Hard to get use to the ball jointed elbows, when all my other Protocal Droids have none

Reaction score
I kind of want this one but the ESB is not nearly appealing enough to buy all for the droid. The ANH wave has yet to be topped in my opinion.

Reaction score
Very nice! No arm pistons makes this mold a little inaccurate, but so what - & I still don't reckon it's the right colour, no matter what anyone says.

I agree with Blight, it's going to be hard to build this guy with such a mediocre wave.

Reaction score
Definitely a must have for me. The other shown BADs really just don't grab me all that much. I dunno. They are okay, but they just...well...fail to generate any excitement in me personally. Can't wait to see what the other astromechs look like.

Reaction score
VintijDroidGutzz said:
Very nice! No arm pistons makes this mold a little inaccurate, but so what - & I still don't reckon it's the right colour, no matter what anyone says.
Yep, same here, but I'll still get him. He can fil in the background of one of my dios as a different, unseen, less burnished 3PO unit and I'll custom myself a suitably gleaming U-3PO.

Reaction score
MARK2D2 said:
Definitely a must have for me. The other shown BADs really just don't grab me all that much. I dunno. They are okay, but they just...well...fail to generate any excitement in me personally. Can't wait to see what the other astromechs look like.
That's a funny thing coming from you, whose the major droid enthusiast. I feel the opposite. I could care less about astromechs and protocol droids, etc. This is the plainest one coming and you're the most excited. The ones for the TPM and AOTC waves on the other hand look fantastic to me.

GNT

Reaction score
VintijDroidGutzz said:
I agree with Blight, it's going to be hard to build this guy with such a mediocre wave.
One thing is for sure, alof of collectors will be waiting for the whole wave to be clearanced out to get the droid. I don't think I could wait for that to happen so I'll be buying them all when they hit and will get all the parts then

Reaction score
Actually, Blight, I am a somewhat limited droid enthusiast. Basically I am mainly into the OT droids, or prequel droids with a distinctive OT vibe like astro-mechs and the like. Anything that the Jawas ever were around I am a bit nuts about, but anything EU is a much tougher sell with me. Even prequel robots such as battle droids or destoyer droids tend to leave me cold. Not that these are bad designs by any means, mind you... It's just that the thing I like about Star Wars is the nostolgia and the connection to my past when I was 8 and all about Star Wars. The newer droid designs, especially EU often simply don't connect with me as they don't have that sense of recognition. When I look at R5-A2 I instantly go, oh yeah! Him! Sweet... Same with U-3PO...

Reaction score
That makes sense. Being not a huge droid fan myself, I mostly pick out the ones that look cool or could pose as warriors.

And GNT, doubt these will clearance any time soon. I've noticed Hasbro Star Wars figures never go on clearance. A walmart near me had figures from Saga 2006 last I checked and another had a ROTS padme. They just leave them there literally forever until they sell.

Reaction score
I like the look of this droid, but I might not get a lot of figures from this wave though, so probably won't end up building it. Looks nice, with a lot of articulation though

Reaction score
I'm with you on them not hitting clearance, Blight. Although, curiously, I did find some coin figures on sale the other day at a remote Toys R Us. It was the Cantina aliens with the curved bar pieces and their friends. The markdown was minor, still priced at $4.98 or something. But this was an oddity. I can't recall the last time I saw Star Wars figs marked down.

Reaction score
GNT said:
VintijDroidGutzz said:
One thing is for sure, alof of collectors will be waiting for the whole wave to be clearanced out to get the droid.
Well, that's what I'll be doing with Breha Organa so I can finish my silver RA-7!

Kind of lame having to do that, but I know there'll still be squillions of her rotting in Targets & BigWs etc in a year's time.. so I'll have dibs then just as surely as I would now.

Plus I like her better than Bozo Kast anyway.

Reaction score
I'd love to build him, but the Hoth trooper is the only thing I'm interested in from the wave. I'll probably end up trying to trae the 2 of whatever piece I get with him for previous wave astromech pieces.

Reaction score
After seeing the new images of this droid, I'm glad they'll be reissuing older figures - I'm definitely not excited about the Palpatine, so I'll get one of the GH figures for the piece I'll need.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm late to the party, but I was in Target over the weekend and I noticed multiple Wave 3 Coruscant Clone Troopers that were packed with the left leg of U-3PO. The back of the card pictured the rest of the Wave 3 figures as well.

Is Wave 3 being re-released with the U-3PO parts, or is it that this particular figure is being re-released with the Empire Strikes Back wave (Wave 6)? Did I miss an announcement? Anyone else see anything similar?

Reaction score
GameSix said:
Maybe I'm late to the party, but I was in Target over the weekend and I noticed multiple Wave 3 Coruscant Clone Troopers that were packed with the left leg of U-3PO. The back of the card pictured the rest of the Wave 3 figures as well.

Is Wave 3 being re-released with the U-3PO parts, or is it that this particular figure is being re-released with the Empire Strikes Back wave (Wave 6)? Did I miss an announcement? Anyone else see anything similar?

Jayson over at Yakface.com has a great report(May 2) on which repack figures have U-3PO BAD parts.

GH1 Battle Damaged Darth Vader (TFU): Head
GH2 Kashyyyk Trooper: Torso
BD17 Clone Trooper (Coruscant Landing Platform): Left Leg
BD22 Imperial Engineer: Right Leg
BD33 Jawa/WED Treadwell: Left Arm
BD34 Obi-Wan Kenobi: Right Arm

John

Reaction score
RebelTrooper said:
GameSix said:

Jayson over at Yakface.com has a great report(May 2) on which repack figures have U-3PO BAD parts.

John
AH! Very interesting!

Thank you. I never even bothered to look at any of the Obi-Wans or Jawas I've been seeing around lately.

Who knew?

Reaction score
RebelTrooper said:

John

Too bad the head and torso aren't with either the Jawa or Ben.
I'd like to build another one of these droids, but I don't need an extra Luke or Palpatine. However, I DO still have an extra carded Kashyyyk Trooper that I could possibly return in place of the newer one.

Reaction score
The U-3PO is the awesomest protocol droid Hasbro has made yet.

FYI - the Luke and Palpatine figures are very under-rated figures, articulation lovers take note.

Reaction score
Yes,
they are very good figures.
I did pick them both up, but I don't know if I need a second of each. I already have quite a few of the Evo Palpatines, and the Luke....
well, perhaps an opportunity might come up in the future where I could use that figure for a custom. Hmmmm...

...and I agree about U-3PO,
that's the mold Hasbro needs to use to make the definitive C-3PO.
Much better than the Endor 3PO, and not just because of the elbows. It's the middle torso where the wires show that looks more movie accurate for ANH and ESB.

Reaction score
Idpullthecurtain said:
great figure. Colour does seem to be totally wrong, but thats not the first time, and Im sure wont be the last either...
Yeah, this figure resembles E-3PO much more than U-3PO. A good way to make the perfect U-3PO is to take an Endor Saga 3PO and just dab some paint or nail polish remover on him sparingly. He ends up losing the gold but keeps the shiny coat and looks pretty good.

Reaction score
Darth_Brett said:
Idpullthecurtain said:
great figure. Colour does seem to be totally wrong, but thats not the first time, and Im sure wont be the last either...
Yeah, this figure resembles E-3PO much more than U-3PO. A good way to make the perfect U-3PO is to take an Endor Saga 3PO and just dab some paint or nail polish remover on him sparingly. He ends up losing the gold but keeps the shiny coat and looks pretty good.
Can you post a pic? And what did you do with C-3PO's flat gold knee joint, just leave it as is or paint it?

Reaction score
I am too lazy to get out my regular camera so I just snapped this very crappy cell phone pic. U-3PO (on the right) appears to be way more silver in this pic than he actually is.

Reaction score
Darth_Brett said:
I am too lazy to get out my regular camera so I just snapped this very crappy cell phone pic. U-3PO (on the right) appears to be way more silver in this pic than he actually is.

Looks great!

Reaction score
Too bad the actual BAD U-3PO isn't vac metalized like your custom. Oh well...another droid at least.

Reaction score
That's the way I look on it too. This BaD figure isn't U-3PO as fasr as I'm concerned, just another cool pewter coloured droid. I did the same thing as Darth Brett with the Endor C-3PO to get my own U-3PO - it worked great.