U-3P0 - ESB Wave B-A-D

Reaction score
We now know that this one is coming with the ESB wave - this is the sterling silver 3P0 from the Tantive IV during the opening scenes of ANH - and according to the EU, a SPY!

Reaction score
Since1978 said:
We now know that this one is coming with the ESB wave - this is the sterling silver 3P0 from the Tantive IV during the opening scenes of ANH - and according to the EU, a SPY!
I thought in the EU, U-3PO was supposed to be the same droid as Squeaky, who ends up being Wraith Squadron's quatermaster in the X-Wing books?

In any case, shouldn't this have been E-3PO? Being as how that droid was actually in ESB, and this is an ESB wave?

Reaction score
It's been established time and again here that the B-A-Ds do not correspond to the waves at all - so far only one wave has had ANYTHING corresponding to it - and that's R5-A2 in the ANH wave (where the second droid is from AOTC).

And, again, this is U-3P0 the stirling silver (bright silver, not chrome) protocol droid from the Tantive IV at the beginning of ANH. E-3P0 is pewter colored, so he can be different whenever he does show.

Of course, the whole vac metal thing is the bigger problem here!

'78

Reaction score
U-3PO and E-3PO have differently colored midsections...thats about it. The U-3PO torso that comes with Palpatine has a black midsection, so I suppose they intended to make it a specific droid, rather than a generic silver protocol droid, for which there have been several shown throughout the 6 movie span. Same goes for TC-14 from TPM...had I known we'd be getting this figure as a BAD, I would have skipped the TC-14 repack from last year...

Reaction score
Okay, here's U-3P0:

Slightly yellow cast to the silver - what I think of as sterling silver (real silver) - vs. chrome (see TC-14 at the end).

Here's E-3P0:

Note the darker silver color with a more gray cast to it - that's what I'm calling "pewter" (although pewter is darker still). The two are definitely different colors - albeit only slightly different. Certainly different enough for Hasbro to justify making different B-A-Ds should E-3P0 make it into the line-up.

And then finally, just for comparison purposes, here is TC-14:

As chrome as the bumper of a 1959 Caddy... Different still from U-3P0

So ultimately, all three are different - as I'm sure are a slew of other "silver" protocol droids from throughout the saga.

'78

Reaction score
Well from where I'm standing, the wave #6 BAD has the tonal value of TC-14.. just not vac metallized.
It's basically the same as the wave #4 RA-7 really, which is neither like E-3PO or U-3PO.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I've never considered the U-3PO from ANH to be silver of any kind personally; he always looks to me to be a very pale gold (like C-3PO toned down big time). Regardless, if I display this one, it'll be in the Cloud City corridors. I suspect Hasbro misnamed this one or thinks of it as the ESB one. It would be interesting to see what they say in QnA!

Reaction score
Since1978 said:

'78
Can they Vac-Metalize the BAD parts? If so, I would hope to eventually get a Vac-Metal RA-7 (Sandcrawler deco), and both E and U-3PO in their shinier versions.

Reaction score
Eh when it comes to 4 inch figures and Hasbro's painting skills (or lack there of) silver is silver. A silver protocol droid is E-3p0 or U-3p0 or both, interchangably. I mean, R2 is still R2 whether he's chrome-domed or silver-domed. At this scale, its good enough for me.

Reaction score
This BAD makes me think of when I was a kid and I spray-painted my original C-3PO to be silver and how "flat" silver failed on a protocol droid.

I always thought of E-3PO as silver, shiny or not. I did the nail-polish-remover trick on the Ewok Throne C-3PO to remove the gold, but leave shiny silver to make a very easy custom E-3PO. Last year, when the lighter gold version of that same 3PO came out (Legends) I picked one up to be U-3PO. The light color works well next to the original (more gold) C-3PO.

Reaction score
E-3PO's midsection isn't black, so hopefully Hasbro picked up on that at least for whenever they release one... I'd rather this stayed "U-3PO" just to potentially curb future comments of "...this droid doesn't match the wave? That's stupid!" in later waves. It won't stop 'em completely, but it'll cut down on at least a couple

Reaction score
HK-47 has definitely been moved to the EU wave 10 since he's an EU droid and that makes sense, correct?

Reaction score
I am excited for this figure. I will be displaying this on on Bespin as E-3P0 and I use TC-14 as U-3P0 for ANH. They are close enough for me. Both droids look silver to me in the movies....

Reaction score
Droidworld said:
Since1978 said:

'78
Can they Vac-Metalize the BAD parts? If so, I would hope to eventually get a Vac-Metal RA-7 (Sandcrawler deco), and both E and U-3PO in their shinier versions.
Nope, they can't, they told us that during a past Q&A when the first pictures of the RA-7s showed up - as those too should have been vac finished.

I agree with what the others have said about the current U-3P0 photos, he looks a lot more like E-3P0 than "U" - and that U does have that pale white gold look (which is a lot like sterling). In any case, this one doesn't really match any, and speaks to the need of vac-metal versions of both, if not all three. See the question that I posted in the Hasbro Q&A thread, as that's the direction that I think we're going to need to go in order for this box to get satisfactorilly checked.

'78

Reaction score
I wouldnt mind having both U-3PO and E-3PO, so long as Hasbro went out of their way to make sure that both droids look different. A darker grey/silver or pewter as it was called would be cool, maybe with some weathering and a recolored midsection...it would work well as another BAD.

Reaction score
Toonimator said:
I'd rather this stayed "U-3PO" just to potentially curb future comments of "...this droid doesn't match the wave? That's stupid!" in later waves. It won't stop 'em completely, but it'll cut down on at least a couple
GhostOfLunchBox said:
HK-47 has definitely been moved to the EU wave 10 since he's an EU droid and that makes sense, correct?
Hah! Don't court disaster Ghost.
Toon's pretty good humoured but he might crack if pushed too far.

Since1978 said:
I agree with what the others have said about the current U-3P0 photos, he looks a lot more like E-3P0 than "U" - and that U does have that pale white gold look (which is a lot like sterling). In any case, this one doesn't really match any, and speaks to the need of vac-metal versions of both, if not all three.
'78
Agreed. I'll be getting this guy to stand in as a generic, unamed dull silver-grey droid, but as far as U-3PO and E-3PO go, I reckon I'll have to repaint some figures myself for accurate representations of those characters.

Reaction score
Here is a Photoshop of the new BAD "U-3PO" and my custom of E-3PO. I think down the road, Vac-Metal is the way to go when possible with these particular droids. (And STOP using Vac-Metal for R2!!!)

Reaction score
GhostOfLunchBox said:
Har har har! Actually, what wouldn't surprise me is if the reported YVH Droid is the EU-wave's BAD, making another match, possibly as a reaction to all the bile spewed by various forum posters around the internets who really, REALLY don't like getting EU chocolate in their Movie Purist peanut butter.

Reaction score
All I know is I've been waiting for a "U-3PO" since I was a kid in '78! Don't know why that one droid always had an appeal for me but we're getting him finally! Not exactly in the format I would have liked but it's here nevertheless! Vac-forming would have been nice but whatever.

Reaction score
Looks like the distinguishing detail is the torso -- U-3P0 has dark/black coloring behind his torso wiring.

Unforunately, the tone of the silver seems to be too bright with the BAD.

Reaction score
Droidworld said:
Here is a Photoshop of the new BAD "U-3PO" and my custom of E-3PO. I think down the road, Vac-Metal is the way to go when possible with these particular droids. (And STOP using Vac-Metal for R2!!!)
Ditto me on the R2 request.

As to U-3PO, great custom DW. B) May I ask how you achieved that chrome finish please? Is is electro plated, painted, foiled or did you start with an already vac metalled droid figure please?

Alternatively, if you have a thread in the customs section already dedicated to this, do you mind directing me to it please?

Reaction score
Feh. I'm probably getting only two figures out of the ESB wave, so I guess I'll have some more random parts to throw in the junkpile. Screw B-A-D.

Reaction score
ReverendStrone said:
May I ask how you achieved that chrome finish please? Is is electro plated, painted, foiled or did you start with an already vac metalled droid figure please?

Alternatively, if you have a thread in the customs section already dedicated to this, do you mind directing me to it please?
Thanks Reverend! It is simply an ROTS C-3PO, with the gold carefully removed with acetone on a q-tip, and the mid-section and eyes painted with acrylics.

Some of my older customs are here:

Droidworld's Rebelscum Photo Album

And a few albums (left side of main page) here:

Droidworld's Photobucket Albums

Reaction score
Well if these protocol droids are not Vac-Metal I will have very little interest in them, I'm mainly in it for the Astromechs anyways, but to me the gold silver chrome style droids should have that shiny finish!

Reaction score
Since1978 said:
Can they Vac-Metalize the BAD parts?

[/QUOTE]
Nope, they can't,
'78

[/QUOTE]

Yes they can, they won't for whatever reason. Small parts are routinely Vac Metalized (Almost all Transformers weapons of the 80's, current Japanese Transformers weapons, vintage R2's dome,and the best example; 1998's POTF2 C-3PO with Removable Limbs that pulls apart in 6 pieces is just like a Vac Metalized BAD). It's got to be a cost issue.

Reaction score
Winsto said:
Since1978 said:
Nope, they can't,
'78

[/QUOTE]

Yes they can, they won't for whatever reason. Small parts are routinely Vac Metalized (Almost all Transformers weapons of the 80's, current Japanese Transformers weapons, vintage R2's dome,and the best example; 1998's POTF2 C-3PO with Removable Limbs that pulls apart in 6 pieces is just like a Vac Metalized BAD). It's got to be a cost issue.

[/QUOTE]
They can, but they Articulation is sacrificed.

1) Vacing the Articulation joint will actually need a different method. So it's either Articulation or Vacing it.
2) Aesthetics, 3) Yeah... Expensive. I've asked those who knows these stuff - they apparently cost quite alot to do!4) Because the Joints and the normal parts have to be vaced with a different machine - quality is sacrificed!

Reaction score
Daigo_Bah said:
I've never considered the U-3PO from ANH to be silver of any kind personally; he always looks to me to be a very pale gold (like C-3PO toned down big time).
Same here. I was quite irritated of the pictures of the BAD.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm typically not one to complain about any of these toys for any reason because, well, they're toys! And I'm in my mid-30's! But it always seems like the big H never really put forth 100% effort on giving us really great, quality protocol droids. My main focus is droids of most any kind and I've been quite happy with all the astromechs that we've been delivered over the years but the molds and aesthetics on most of the protocol droids have been severely lacking. The Endor 3PO is pretty darn good but I wouldn't mind a little bit more out of that one. But as it was said VAC would certainly aid these and add to the shelf appeal as well.

Reaction score
Winsto said:
Since1978 said:
Nope, they can't,
'78

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
Dude you didn't read my full response, it's nothing to do with cost or articulation, it's to do with how the parts work from a B-A-D (i.e. non-factory assembled) standpoint - they said as much in a Q&A - and that's why we were getting painted figures. We get vacmetal all the time in the basic line and in BPs, this is the one case where they couldn't.

Shame...

'78

Reaction score
Cool fig. Nice addition to the BAD line. Hopefully, they will eventually do a CZ Droid in this format as well.