Tycho Celchu - A-Wing Pilot - #44

Reaction score
Since1978 said:
I think the chest box being separate will be what saves this - I've never seen a clear enough picture to show the flightsuit of the B-Wing or Y-Wing pilot - so this flight suit looks FINE - at least to me - the underlying vest seems to be in the right proportion, at least to my eye, so if you mold the figure in red, paint the vest white, paint the "bracers" light brown and then mold a new head, helmet and chest box, I think you have the winning formula for a B-Wing pilot - remember pilots would be different builds, heights, etc. so the way the vest fit relative to the waist (or torso articulation in the case of a figure) would vary.

I'll go back and look through the pictures further to see if I can see a difference, but to me, the BASE of the figure - just the flight suit and vest - are more than enough to get really close on the B-Wing and Y-Wing pilots - especially given the dearth of reference on the subject.

Here's hoping that Hasbro has AT LEAST that in the works!

'78
The vintage B-Wing figure has near-as-dammit the correct chest-box layout. You can see this on the briefing scene if you look at the guys in the red jump-suits. It's hard to call but as there is not chest-box per se, rather, more of a circuit board layout, and as such its not simply a case of adding on a new piece.

Tycho is also wearing a strange under-vest that none of the other pilots, be they A-wing, B-Wing or Y-Wing, in the briefing scene are wearing.

So I propose a new torso sculpt for all future rebel pilots.

Toonimator said:
Crynyd's suit was indeed green, so basically all they'd need to do (barring a fully accurate chestbox) is ditch the Tycho-logos on the shoulders, sculpt a new head, and sculpt the cockpit-scenes helmet that Green Leader and the "Copy, Gold Leader" guy wore.
and presumably paint the ankle-guards the correct shade of beige as seen in the briefing room. Tycho's have been painted black for some unknown reason :S

p.s.

upon re-watching the briefing scene for the n-th time I noticed a female x-wing pilot sitting behind Lando during the "I didn't know they were looking for someone to lead this crazy attack" conversation.

So, naturally we need a female pilot body-sculpt as well. (I haven't read any EU books or comics are there any female pilots there? two "birds" with one stone.)

Reaction score
And that chest box wouldn't be too big of a deal due to that part being separate in the tooling. The base of this figure can go a long, long way!

'78

Reaction score
Yes.. Jaina Solo which is a major one along with numerous others from Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron alone, not to mention all the other sources..

That pilot in the briefing room is Karie Neth, a Rogue Squadron pilot that served as a gunner aboard Lieutenant Telsij's Gray Squadron 2 during the Battle of Endor. She was identified by Decipher but later made an appearence in the second Rogue Squadron game.

And the "copy, Gold Leader" pilot is Jake Farrell.. Well, retroactively named to be, anyway. Blame Star Wars: Rebel Assault.

Reaction score
Top_O_Nerae said:
Tycho is also wearing a strange under-vest that none of the other pilots, be they A-wing, B-Wing or Y-Wing, in the briefing scene are wearing.
I'll have to go back and watch those scenes sometime soon - I recall seeing the vest on all of those - the vest is sort of the support for the chest box - the black on the vintage figure is exactly what I'm talking about. But I definitely recall seeing it.

In the end it doesn't matter that much - at least to me - given the day and age of minor retoolings that we're in and Hasbro trying to strech the use out of every tooling, I'd be just fine as the current A-Wing pilot is - with the more obvious changes. If they went so far for a newly tooled upper torso just to correct the vest (if necessary) - then great.

Some people are nutty about the smallest mistakes, but in the end, I'd rather have all of the gaps filled in my collection by releasing an "almost" vs. waiting on perfect and then never getting it. Sort of like those people out there that are clamoring for a more accurate Sandtrooper based on all the changes that some uniform nut pointed out about the differences from the stormtrooper armor to the sandtrooper (knee pad and what not)... If they need to spend big tooling dollars better to get something COMPLETELY new than minor corrections to already great figures.

Of course, that's just my warped perspective.

'78

Reaction score
Well, I mean the vest thing that is a different (browner) shade of green. Inbetween the black thing and his green overalls. (I know that is not a very clear description).

Yes, I suppose complaining about it could be overly knit-picky and I don't really mind it that much.

Damn, I hope I am not as bad as those "rivet counters" on the model aircraft forums I laugh at. You get people who will blow a gasket if there are an incorrect number of rivets, whether they have been tooled as flushed or raised. blahblah blah.

Reaction score
Top_O_Nerae said:
Well, I mean the vest thing that is a different (browner) shade of green. Inbetween the black thing and his green overalls. (I know that is not a very clear description).

Yes, I suppose complaining about it could be overly knit-picky and I don't really mind it that much.

Damn, I hope I am not as bad as those "rivet counters" on the model aircraft forums I laugh at. You get people who will blow a gasket if there are an incorrect number of rivets, whether they have been tooled as flushed or raised. blahblah blah.
Woooo - this is a little scary - I participate in those as well - and put no stock at all in the rivit police... You're the first similar hobby cross-over that I've found so far!

And yes, I was thinking of the same part, the brown "vest" that's probably setup to look like a Mae West that you saw over many W.W.II flightsuits - remember, the W.W.II aviation films were a huge influence on Lucas. Thus the Luftwaffe style flare bandolier around the top of one of the X-Wing pilot's boots - the similarity to W.W.II flight gear is remarkable. Add an old-school pressure suit environmental control box and a helmet and voila you have W.W.II pilots in space.

But going back to the "vest" I maintain that it's there on the other flightsuits. Just need to get a chance to watch the scenes again...

We might even already know each other!

'78

Reaction score
I found Tycho today at Wal-Mart and I love this figure. This might be my favorite figure in the entire TAC line.

Reaction score
Jedipostmaster said:
I found Tycho today at Wal-Mart and I love this figure. This might be my favorite figure in the entire TAC line.
Agree. I think his helmet needs to a little tighter fit. But other than that, a homerun in my book.

Reaction score
Otherwise known as "Tycho the Defenseless". Unless he uses that stupid hat as a slingshot ala David. Otherwise, he's toast.

Reaction score
I dunno, I was happy to find him, but now after playing with him I think he's kind of boring. The helmet is nice, but the flight suit is really generic. And there's no weapon wtf. I still much prefer Bo Shek as human pilots go.

Reaction score
Just got this guy from a fellow 'scummer. Very well done fig!

Does anyone know what the "text" means on the right side of his helmet?

Reaction score
I have to say that the A-Wing is my favorite Alliance ship.

I understand how Hasbro made the mistake with the helmet, since it has been explained so well here. It's too bad Lucasfilm doesn't fix this problem in their archives, and it's hard to believe they haven't by now.

As we all know though, this isn't the helmet as shown on the pilots in the film. I'd like to think that someone working in the Star Wars department at Hasbro would be familiar enough with the movies to have noticed something like this.

Arvel Crynyd was the pilot shown the most in the battle of Endor, only after Lando and Wedge.

I am not one to harp on every little detail on every uniform. I would never notice the vast majority of little inaccuracies, nor would I care. But with pilots, you only mostly see their heads, hands and upper torso, so the helmet is really important.

The A-wing is my favorite Alliance ship. That's because it represents the growth of the Alliance, and more importantly the future of the Alliance/New Republic. It represents the future of Star Wars.

The X-Wings and Y-Wings represent an earlier era of the Alliance. With the on board R2 units, they share a design element with the prequel ships, like the ARC Fighter, the Jedi Starfighters and the V-Wing. The A-Wing and B-Wing have no R2 units and are the ships to last appear in the OT.

The A-Wing has a sleekness the X and Y-Wings didn't have.

Sure, the Alliance was still the "people's army" I suppose, but in Episode VI, they had clearly either grown, or were finally showing their full forces. They had the Mon Calamari. And they had their new A and B-Wing ships. They had become a much more organized and sophisticated fighting force than the group we saw in A New Hope.

On top of this, the A-Wing and the A-Wing pilot, were two of the last toys to be offered in the Vintage line (Droids). So in my mind, this also solidifies their place as representing the future from a certain point of view.

Of course I am not referencing any EU mythology here, but I am just expressing my thoughts on the films.

I consider the A-Wings and B-Wings to be important ships because of what they represent, the next generation and the signaling of the Alliance beginning to take control of the Galaxy.

So you know, the hardware in this era is becoming more specialized and distinct. Sure, not all of the A-Wing pilots were able to receive the proper helmets, but why focus on the mistakes? Think of all the lives Arvel Crynyd saved by his brave maneuvers in battle.

Plus I found the A-Wing leader helmets to be more distinctive and had that cool WWII influence that Lucas loves.

Even the older versions of the A-Wing pilot attempted the Crynyd style helmet or something similar.

I think the figure is beautiful otherwise. I will probably buy one, but sorry I cannot army build because without the Crynyd-style helmets it does not do the glorious A-Wing and their pilots justice.

Reaction score
I love this figure! Definitly one of my favorites of the year. I may have to get several more, and replace their heads to make the other pilots on the cardback. It's also great to have a figure of Tycho!

Reaction score
This is a good looking figure, but it would still be nice to have one that is movie accurate. Take a look at the pilots in this picture:

It may not be the best shot, but you can still see a lot of differences between the movie pilots and the current figure.
That Rebel crewman on the left would be a nice figure too, as well as that girl on the right. What is she, an officer? I don't remember seeing anyone like that in the movie.

Reaction score
Indeed it would be nice to get that version of the A-Wing pilot, hopefully the rumor for next year's Arvel Crynyd come true as he should be setup like what you show. However, as has been discussed at EXTREME length (go back to pages 3&4) - the version that we've received is ACCURATE to Tycho Celchu, accurate to the pictures in Star Wars Chronicles, etc. So far as I can tell, there are at least THREE distinctly different green flight suited pilots that we see in the sequences on Home One:

1) The "Tycho" version standing on the top railing in the briefing scene, all green flight suit, and Y-Wing style helmet.
2) The "Arvel" this is what most people regard as the proper A-Wing pilot - green flight suit, khaki "bracers" around the boots, and the W.W.II style "helmet."
3) The "Green X-Wing Pilot" there is a pilot that walks through the hangar in a green flight suit, but with the white X-Wing vest on and a X-Wing style helmet. This is obviously the most obscure, but would make an EASY repaint off the VTSC luke mold, hopefully someday in some kind of a multi-pack or similar.

In the meantime, we have to hope for this current figure to get remolded into the "Arvel" - which is not hard, just some minor repainting and then a new head/helmet, and if we're lucky a more accurate chest box - all of which is doable given the way this figure is setup.

But do check back through the length of the thread as there is all kinds of discussion on the variants, and what else can be done with this figure - B-Wing and Y-Wing pilots are NOT a stretch at all!

'78

Reaction score
Since1978 said:
3) The "Green X-Wing Pilot" there is a pilot that walks through the hangar in a green flight suit, but with the white X-Wing vest on and a X-Wing style helmet. This is obviously the most obscure, but would make an EASY repaint off the VTSC luke mold, hopefully someday in some kind of a multi-pack or similar.
Whoa. I must've spaced on that one. I worry about it, though, as if it becomes too well-known among fans, a lot of people are gonna say "Holy crap! It's Corran Horn!" and then they'll try to force him into the continuity there for no good reason. But it WOULD make a great Corran Horn figure. New head, repainted helmet, blaster, maybe his own saber (and a hilt for that peghole in the belt)... done! Luke's absolutely perfect for that.

The khaki bits on the A-wing outfit are easy enough to accomplish. No moving parts! Just a bit of beige craft paint would suffice, so get to it, customizers (and would-be customizers)!

Reaction score
Toonimator said:
Since1978 said:
Whoa. I must've spaced on that one. I worry about it, though, as if it becomes too well-known among fans, a lot of people are gonna say "Holy crap! It's Corran Horn!" and then they'll try to force him into the continuity there for no good reason. But it WOULD make a great Corran Horn figure. New head, repainted helmet, blaster, maybe his own saber (and a hilt for that peghole in the belt)... done! Luke's absolutely perfect for that.
The green X-Wing pilot is definitely there (you see them in the same hangar sequence, walking behind Lando, and away from the camera), it's definitely not Corran, so no we don't need to warp continuity to make him fit, but as you say, this figure could be released twice, both repaints on the VTSC Luke figure with new heads and helmets and fit two bills.

Toonimator said:
The khaki bits on the A-wing outfit are easy enough to accomplish. No moving parts! Just a bit of beige craft paint would suffice, so get to it, customizers (and would-be customizers)!
That's what I was refering to as "bracers" as that's what it appears to be simulating to me. There's even a break in the existing Tycho tooling where they can add that paint app to a future figure. Not hard at all - and as you say REALLY easy for customizers.

'78

Reaction score
Since1978 said:
The green X-Wing pilot is definitely there (you see them in the same hangar sequence, walking behind Lando, and away from the camera), it's definitely not Corran, so no we don't need to warp continuity to make him fit, but as you say, this figure could be released twice, both repaints on the VTSC Luke figure with new heads and helmets and fit two bills.
Oh I know it's not Corran, can't be... but if enough people latch onto it, and someone not too quick on the uptake at Lucasfilm feels some amount of pressure over it, they might TRY to force him in there somehow. Like he was on loan from CorSec or something silly. I doubt that'll happen, just a "worst case scenario"
Kinda like when Tycho was said to be at Endor and a lot of fans said "Oh, he's that guy that says "Copy, Gold Leader" and flies away! Yeah!" despite that dude being completely wrong for Tycho. He was just the only other A-wing pilot seen in a ship!

Reaction score
That's Arvel, Green Leader. There's a lot of 'misleading' editing going on in the battle, where Y-wingers (all Grays) or A-wingers (all Greens) seem to respond to or receive Red Squadron messages.

Reaction score
Yeah, especially when Lando calls Red and Gold group to follow him to the Death Star, and X-wings, Y-wings and A-wings responded....well, he did says 'all fighters follow me' as well.
Good thing the B-wings stayed back or they would have gotten a surprise when Wedge and company made the hard turn.

Reaction score
Toonimator said:
That's Arvel, Green Leader. There's a lot of 'misleading' editing going on in the battle, where Y-wingers (all Grays) or A-wingers (all Greens) seem to respond to or receive Red Squadron messages.
Yeah, they weren't really paying attention to call-signs during editing. I hope they go back and fix and add things to the Battle of Endor one day.. I'd love to see more fighters - especially the B-Wings - and a lot more capital ship carnage.

Reaction score
Yay!

Picked up this figure today - amazing! I really love this figure - everything about it - the outfit, helmet, headgear, cardback, etc... it all rocks!!!

Good on you Hasbro for producing an awesome figure!!!

Reaction score
I'm glad other people caught that. I brought that up to my friends the other day.

A friend found me a Tycho and is shipping it down soon. I can finally stop searching my two wal-marts for this figure. WOOOT

Reaction score
it's a big thead, i've not read through it all.

i do like the figure, alot. however, i'm having trouble getting his suspenders that hang down to attach. the square peg doesn't wanna fit into the back slot, which is also square.

Reaction score
I had the same problem with one of my pilots. I simply put the peg into hot water for about a min. or two, making the plastic very soft and then the peg went right in.

This is the same way that I got IG-88's blaster into his holster on his bandalier.

Reaction score
I just ordered Tycho from HTS. I guess I'll have to open my Green A-Wing to put him in! (Don't ask me why I never opened it!)

Reaction score
Has anyone posted the fact that the helmet is either super glossy or "foggy"?... If so, my apologies... I have opened two cases with this figure and 1 case had 2 glossy and the other case had 2 matte (foggy) versions?... I prefer the glossy as I would think the pilot would actually want to see what was going one.

Glossy

Matte

Reaction score
I got this one today!
I am very pleased with this guy!
I may take some pics and add the here later.

Here there are:

Reaction score
Picked this one up today at Wal*Mart. I think it is practically perfect. Definitely in my top 5 figures of the year!

Reaction score
Toonimator said:
He was just the only other A-wing pilot seen in a ship!
There is yet another distinctive A-wing pilot seen during the Battle Of Endor, the one who responded to Gold Leader (Lando) inside the Death Star II when he split off from to draw the TIE fighters away.

Reaction score
Deak_Starkiller said:
Toonimator said:
He was just the only other A-wing pilot seen in a ship!
There is yet another distinctive A-wing pilot seen during the Battle Of Endor, the one who responded to Gold Leader (Lando) inside the Death Star II when he split off from to draw the TIE fighters away.
That's who I was talking about.

Reaction score
I got this guy in the mail the other day. I think he looks great and it now gives me an excuse to find an A-Wing for my collection. (As if I needed an excuse.
)

Reaction score
Colonel Tycho Celchu, Rogue 2 as described in the X-Wing novels.

Reaction score
What a nice looking figure Darth_Anton!!
Excuse my ignorance, which body is it?

Reaction score
You mean mine? (If yes then it's Tycho's body with a couple of swapped parts).

Reaction score
"find another one" right now at HTS. If the discount codes still work, free shipping and a bit less than retail! Can't go wrong with that.