Tycho Celchu - A-Wing Pilot - #44

Reaction score
My stores have yet to put out anything from this wave. Its getting scary now with Chirstmas coming up and new wave just coming out. Oh boy.

Reaction score
Flashback said:
Ryan that custom A-Wing is hella sweet!
Absolutely agree! Your paint app is fantastic. Would you mind posting a few more shots of the A-Wing?

Next up lighting?

- darth_myeek

Reaction score
This may have been covered earlier... if so, skip this...

Does anyone know how to properly pronounce his name?... Having a background in 3 languages, there are too many possibilities...

Reaction score
streams said:

Does anyone know how to properly pronounce his name?... Having a background in 3 languages, there are too many possibilities... [/quoteDunno for sure, but the "y" in Tycho is definitely long. I've always thought of it with the "k" sound for the "ch" in his first name and a soft "C" in his last.

Reaction score
streams said:
Does anyone know how to properly pronounce his name?... Having a background in 3 languages, there are too many possibilities...
According to all that is Wookieepedia, it's 'taɪko 'sɛltʃu. First name like the toy brand, last name like an s. I spent a while using a hard c for his last name.

Reaction score
streams said:

Tai-ko Sel-shu.

While I do prefer Sel-chu, it's supposedly Sel-shu as some sources state.

Not too many logical possibilities but what would I know with a background in 6 languages.

Reaction score
So as far as the card goes do we count this as just a random group of pilots? Or do we get to try to figure out for a thrid time which one he is? I think i might have rather had a comic shot on the back.

Reaction score
The more I play around with the figure the more I like it. If I see another on the shelves I'm grabbing it to do a few mods to him. Turn the flight cap into the helmet on the vintage figure for one. I am kinda curious on why they didn't give him a weapon. What would you guys suggest using? The standard blaster pistol? Maybe the small pistol that came with Biggs?

Reaction score
MandalorianKid said:
So as far as the card goes do we count this as just a random group of pilots? Or do we get to try to figure out for a thrid time which one he is? I think i might have rather had a comic shot on the back.
Varying sources point to various pilots.. None of them are definitively him since Tycho is an EU creation and retconned into Return of the Jedi.

Technically, it's this pilot:

But that was just a random person Decipher picked..

He is one of my favorite characters in the EU, though so.. That's all that matters.

Reaction score
Yup - the specific pilot that Decipher used is out of frame in the shot that's on the card back. The helmet they used for the figure was straight out of Star Wars chronicles - and did not use the Decipher image.

'78

Reaction score
Memnoch21 said:
The more I play around with the figure the more I like it. If I see another on the shelves I'm grabbing it to do a few mods to him. Turn the flight cap into the helmet on the vintage figure for one. I am kinda curious on why they didn't give him a weapon. What would you guys suggest using? The standard blaster pistol? Maybe the small pistol that came with Biggs?
I took the gun that came with the TAC Jawa figure, used a razor knife to trim off the trigger guard, and painted the end of the barrel silver. My A-Wing pilot looks cool standing next to his green A-Wing with this custom gun in his hand.

I replaced that gun with the "Jabba's Palace Blaster" that came with Saga Jedi Luke, as it fits in the holster nicely.

Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification on how to properly pronounce his name... I knew I wouldn't choose the correct way without help...

6 languages huh? - which ones, if you don't mind me asking?

Reaction score
streams said:
Thank you for the clarification on how to properly pronounce his name... I knew I wouldn't choose the correct way without help...

6 languages huh? - which ones, if you don't mind me asking?
Japanese and English were my dual first, followed by Russian, French, Chinese and German. Completely fluent in Japanese and English and proficient in French.

I agree, D_A - one of the best figures of the year. Now if only I could find one...

I'm modifying an X-Wing as Rogue 2 just for him as we speak.

Reaction score
Man, I thought I was good with my English, German and Japaese. But, noooo Myen has to have 6 languages. Darn. Too bad my school doesn't offer Japanese classes.

Reaction score
MyenShi said:
Tai-ko Sel-shu.

While I do prefer Sel-chu, it's supposedly Sel-shu as some sources state.

Not too many logical possibilities but what would I know with a background in 6 languages.
I was always partial to Kel-chu
Sel-shu or Sel-chu reminds me too much of the Boston Sel-tics, which has long bugged me

Anyway, I picked up three of this bad boy yesterday! I dig that even the symbols on his shoulders are HIS symbols, with the flamey bits above the crest.

Reaction score
haha, well.. Guess everyone has a preference.

I'd love to discuss this figure more if I could find one.. I really want him! I've already finished his X-Wing (more pictures in my custom thread).

And helmet..

Both are lonely.

Reaction score
MyenShi said:
I'd love to discuss this figure more if I could find one.. I really want him!
I'm trying to trade one of these for a new Jango or training clone trooper. Got one of those?

Reaction score
Wave 5 in this area was a ethereal blip...here and gone... with tons of 6 minus the McSnowtrooper and no 7 yet...

Reaction score
I did find Roron but thats another topic. Other than the wolf jedi, Tycho is one of the last figures I'll get this year from this wave. Now I'm really glad i bought the A-wing back when I was a kid. This is a good reason to get it out of my closet.

Reaction score
Tucson, wretched hive of scum and villany
Since1978 said:
Hasbro this one has minor retooling written ALL over it for B-Wing and Y-Wing pilots!!!!

'78
I finally found one tonight! Although I agree this is THE outstanding figure this year, I think minor retooling for B-wing and Y-wing pilots would be disappointing. While a screen accurate A-wing pilot would be a minor retool (change to correct chestbox and helmet), the B-wing pilot would need a completely new torso for an accurate chestbox/vest(not to mention a new helmet). It comes much lower than the articulation on Tycho's upper torso would allow. The Y-wing pilot would need at least the upper torso replaced due to major differences in the vest and chestbox. At least the helmet is correct for a Y-wing pilot (the deco on Tycho's actually belongs to grey leader!)

Still- best figure I've seen all year.

(ROTJ Y-wing pilot and a Human B-Wing pilot are the two figures I want most. At this point I'm willing to settle for almost anything even slightly close.)

Reaction score
I'm being conservative for the moment... just bought 3 when Burbank TRU miraculously had them on the pegs the other day. Left one behind (paint was chipped on helmet).
Had there been any Ewoks, I would've grabbed as many of them! Didn't know the store opened at 7, or I'd have had Ewoks AND a couple McSolos to join my Tycho Squad.

One Tycho's getting some new hair paint I think, not crazy about straw-yellow hair for him. One's swapping heads with VTSC Luke for a proper Rogue 2 Tycho (the head fits, but gets a bit stretched out from the larger neck ball; still haven't found my Dremel to properly expand the socket, but most of the stretching's internal, his jaw doesn't get too warped). I might also try throwing his head on a DS Gunner body and adding Baron Fel's pilot gear for a TIE Pilot Tycho, pre-Alderaan. Lots of possibilities! I'll probably throw caution to the wind and buy a bunch more next I see 'em

Reaction score
DutchVander said:
Since1978 said:
Hasbro this one has minor retooling written ALL over it for B-Wing and Y-Wing pilots!!!!

'78
I finally found one tonight! Although I agree this is THE outstanding figure this year, I think minor retooling for B-wing and Y-wing pilots would be disappointing. While a screen accurate A-wing pilot would be a minor retool (change to correct chestbox and helmet), the B-wing pilot would need a completely new torso for an accurate chestbox/vest(not to mention a new helmet). It comes much lower than the articulation on Tycho's upper torso would allow. The Y-wing pilot would need at least the upper torso replaced due to major differences in the vest and chestbox. At least the helmet is correct for a Y-wing pilot (the deco on Tycho's actually belongs to grey leader!)

Still- best figure I've seen all year.

(ROTJ Y-wing pilot and a Human B-Wing pilot are the two figures I want most. At this point I'm willing to settle for almost anything even slightly close.)
I think the chest box being separate will be what saves this - I've never seen a clear enough picture to show the flightsuit of the B-Wing or Y-Wing pilot - so this flight suit looks FINE - at least to me - the underlying vest seems to be in the right proportion, at least to my eye, so if you mold the figure in red, paint the vest white, paint the "bracers" light brown and then mold a new head, helmet and chest box, I think you have the winning formula for a B-Wing pilot - remember pilots would be different builds, heights, etc. so the way the vest fit relative to the waist (or torso articulation in the case of a figure) would vary.

I'll go back and look through the pictures further to see if I can see a difference, but to me, the BASE of the figure - just the flight suit and vest - are more than enough to get really close on the B-Wing and Y-Wing pilots - especially given the dearth of reference on the subject.

Here's hoping that Hasbro has AT LEAST that in the works!

'78

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too disappointed it hasbro retooled this body for B-Wing Pilot. I don;t know the differences between the two outfits to really care.

Reaction score
i was wondering if there would be anyway they could use the arm so thay can stop with those lame dutch vander arms on EVERY x wing pilot.

Reaction score
I could swear I read an interview with Stackpole where he said it's Sell-chew. Can't find it now, though.

Toonimator said:
One Tycho's getting some new hair paint I think, not crazy about straw-yellow hair for him.
Me, either. It's the only thing that bugs me about the figure since Rogue Squadron clearly states that Tycho has brown hair. The comics screw the pooch on character appearances often, so I blame them.

Other than that, this is one nifty figure. I just picked him up tonight and I couldn't be happier (other than the hair thing) especially since Tycho is one of my fave EU characters too. Hopefully, I find some way to get a couple of extras for army building and a custom Rouge Squadron XO version.

Reaction score
SOOOOOOOO glad they fixed the neck on this thing!! Awesome fig!! I will definetly be getting more depending on how available they are. There is some customizing I would like to do with this guy!

Reaction score
still havent found him or his wave yet. but this is really a great figure. hasbro did all they could with him and hopefully this sculpt will be revisited for other pilots. like my favorite A wing pilot: Arvel "Green Leader" Crynyd

or was his suit green? ah hasbro can repaint the sculpt too

Reaction score
Nighthawk said:
From previous posts, the neck was never an issue. The person who took those pictures before didn't push the head all the way down.
Oh, sorry didn't catch that! Well duh.....I feel stupid. LOL

Still a great fig though!!! Glad I got it!

Reaction score
Lord_Atmo said:
still havent found him or his wave yet. but this is really a great figure. hasbro did all they could with him and hopefully this sculpt will be revisited for other pilots. like my favorite A wing pilot: Arvel "Green Leader" Crynyd

or was his suit green? ah hasbro can repaint the sculpt too
Crynyd's suit was indeed green, so basically all they'd need to do (barring a fully accurate chestbox) is ditch the Tycho-logos on the shoulders, sculpt a new head, and sculpt the cockpit-scenes helmet that Green Leader and the "Copy, Gold Leader" guy wore.