Tutorials, Useful Threads, & Customizing Questions

Reaction score
Re: Tutorials, Useful Threads, & Customizing Quest

Fair enough. Noted for future reference. And thank you for the extra tips.

Reaction score

If Goof-Off is too heavy, use just a drop of it on a Q-Tip. Use the minimum to get the job done.

Another alternative (but you have to be careful with it) is fine-tip Sharpies of a color matching the original plastic as close as possible. This is for very small areas or fine detail spaces (such as eyebrows, etc.) where you don't want a lot of paint remover going all over.

Just rub the Sharpie over the paint until it dissolves, then quickly wipe it off, while it's still wet.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score

Thanks friend! Much appreciated! I'll give it a go!

don

Reaction score

I picked up a spare Vintage Collection ROTJ R2-D2 this afternoon and was thinking that with the recessed arm in his chest this would make a really nice 'ultimate R2-D2' but I'd like to replace the head with one that doesn't have holes in it.
Anyone try taking this R2 apart yet? Any advice?
Anyone try fitting it with a replacement head from another R2? Again, any advice?

Reaction score

Isnt the new R2-D2 scaled down? A dome from an older figure would probably hang over the 'torso' and not fit, I'd use caution.

Reaction score

padmesghost said:
Isnt the new R2-D2 scaled down? A dome from an older figure would probably hang over the 'torso' and not fit, I'd use caution.
Actually the dome from any of the R2/R4 [P.T.] B.A.D. droids is a really close size fit

Spencer

Reaction score

Quick question, anyone tracked down the shade of red used on the latest X-wing stripes? I'm hearing Fire Orange from FFURG and Insignia Red from my Brother-in-Law.

Reaction score

Hey There Y'all,
What would U recommend to "paint" gold TAC coinz red and shiny?
Thanx,
Spencer?:>}

Reaction score

How about spray painting it in metallic red? That would look pretty sweet.

Reaction score

I'm planning on doing some customs using figures from the Vintage Collection line. I assume that the boil-and-pop method still works well for the arms, but what about the legs and/or torso? I've never tried to take one apart and want some tips before I try.

Reaction score

Most SW figures are still made of a semi-soft pvc plastic, so the boil-and-pop method still works on the majority of figures. I've done it with new vintage, CW, and legends. The real problem you might run into is with figures that have hard plastic torsos that connect with similar pelvic sections of the figure - those dont change shape when heated. An example of this would be the new ROTJ Luke figure - if a figure has a hollow torso, chances are that its made of hard plastic.

Reaction score

Thanks for the info, D_S. I'll keep all that in mind. Hopefully, I'll can post some pics soon of some new customs.

Reaction score

Has anyone replaced Quinlon Vos legs (from the comic pack) with a Legacy Anakinss? I want to to have hip and knee articulation. Just wondering if the pegs fit. or will I be better off just switchining the upper torsos?

Reaction score

BandHcomics said:
Has anyone replaced Quinlon Vos legs (from the comic pack) with a Legacy Anakinss? I want to to have hip and knee articulation. Just wondering if the pegs fit. or will I be better off just switchining the upper torsos?
I replaced the Vos legs with those from an Evo Starkiller (Ultimate Sith).

Reaction score

TWO Questions:

Does anyone know how to re-chrome a vintage R2D2 head? I don't need it to look exactly like the original, I just dont want it to look like silver paint.

And...Can anyone point me in the direction of vintage vinyl cape templates? I don't own any originals to trace.

Reaction score

I have a question for all that pick up any TCW figures, ether for your collection or customs. What has anyone found for good uses on the countless dice that any have amass?

I have already started to wonder what I can use them for with all the ones I have from my custom endeavors. One idea I had was maybe using them in construction of some Jedi temple or something like that. It's hard to figure something out as they are, but they might be more useful if altered. Thanks for any help on finding something to use them on.

momaw nadon

Reaction score

you could glue 4 of them together in a larger cube, paint them blue, red, yellow, put some wear and tear on them and you could use them as these...

Reaction score

Ha Ha, look at R2 up there saying, "[censored]! I wish I still had those rockets."

Reaction score

That is a good idea Spookymufu. That is totally doable and I think I have a way to add in that circle in the middle. I think the size is perfect too, but I'll have to play around with that a little more to be sure.

I think there are more uses for them, if altering in some way over just how they are. Any more good ideas? I have many of these things to use

momaw nadon

Reaction score

Juggernaut said:
TWO Questions:

Does anyone know how to re-chrome a vintage R2D2 head? I don't need it to look exactly like the original, I just dont want it to look like silver paint.
You can contact some places that do re-chroming. I was tempted to chrome a ton of figures back when Hasbro started putting out all the chrome stuff for the anniversaries and what not. Why?? I have no idea, lol, but I thought it would be cool.

To do it at home you can look for something called bare metal foil, which is exactly what it sounds like - metal foil. Super thin and looks great if applied correctly.

Otherwise you can use a product called Alclad which is the best metal/chrome paint out there, airbrush applied and looks nothing like paint when dried. I'm not sure if it will work on the R2 head but it might be worth looking into.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>

And...Can anyone point me in the direction of vintage vinyl cape templates? I don't own any originals to trace.

[/QUOTE]

That I've never seen... but maybe check on the SWCA website, they have a ton of stuff for vintage figures. Maybe they at least have a good pic of a vintage cape that you can print to trace out.

Reaction score

roron_corobb said:
I have a question for all that pick up any TCW figures, ether for your collection or customs. What has anyone found for good uses on the countless dice that any have amass?
The only thing I've used them for was filler for my garbage can. Along with the cards. I guess I should try and do something more contructive with them, lol.

Reaction score

Does any of you customiser have a spare C-3PO and R2-D2 Battle Game card?
Spencer?:>}

Reaction score

Quick question-- can you safely use rubbing alcohol to remove the sand weathering from Qui-Gon's boots (the figure that came w/ the Eeopi)? Thanks!

Reaction score

I don't know about rubbing alcohol, but those Mr Clean Magic Erasers work great for removing factory paint. I wouldn't try it if you are just trying to remove paint from paint thought, as it would be touch and go.

roron corobb

Reaction score
Re: Tutorials, Useful Threads, & Customizing Questions

Hey guys and gals,

Someone over at JediDefender suggested that wetting soft goods is a good way of making them sit on figures naturally. Given that this is the customizing section I would assume you guys would know the correct techniques for this type of thing. So if you could perhaps give me a quick run-down it would be much appreciated. It should be noted that these are to be used on Jedi cloaks. Also...

a) Does this technique change the color/composition (for lack of a better word) of the fabric
b) How do you ensure that the inside of the cloak completely dries so that the moisture doesn’t lead to mold, etc.

Also while we are discussing this subject are there any other techniques to make soft goods sit naturally on a figure? I had been using blu-tac however I have been told it leaves stains...

Reaction score

IndianaKenobi said:
Hey guys and gals,

Someone over at JediDefender suggested that wetting soft goods is a good way of making them sit on figures naturally. Given that this is the customizing section I would assume you guys would know the correct techniques for this type of thing. So if you could perhaps give me a quick run-down it would be much appreciated. It should be noted that these are to be used on Jedi cloaks. Also...

a) Does this technique change the color/composition (for lack of a better word) of the fabric
b) How do you ensure that the inside of the cloak completely dries so that the moisture doesn’t lead to mold, etc.

Also while we are discussing this subject are there any other techniques to make soft goods sit naturally on a figure? I had been using blu-tac however I have been told it leaves stains...
read my reply in the other thread you posted this in

Reaction score

My most recent clone figures are all getting green helmets, and in CMD Cody's case, green jetpacks. Any way to stop/fix this with cleaner,paint etc? I have no idea what to use, and don't want to damage the figure itself.

Reaction score

Question about Darth vader custom. I picked up the Birth of Vader BP and was wondering if I could swap the arms and legs from that figure with the crispy ROTS figure? I don't want to break anything if there not compatable. Thanks

Reaction score

Hello Scummers,
I'm seriously looking to scratchbuild the Herald Class Transport from Kotor 1:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Herald-class_shuttle

from the Manaan Sith Base- but there is no real pictures of it out there in game and I have not had KOTOR 1 installed in a couple years and don't really want to install it play it just to get to the hanger...

I'm hoping someone out there has the game saved at that point and can do some screenshots for me, covering the main angles- side front and back, maybe a couple 45s?

Currently I trying to make my notes and measurements off of a low rez youtube gameplay walk through- but its the poorest way to do it...

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Reaction score

CMDR_Appo said:
My most recent clone figures are all getting green helmets, and in CMD Cody's case, green jetpacks. Any way to stop/fix this with cleaner,paint etc? I have no idea what to use, and don't want to damage the figure itself.
Try a light scrub in soap and water first, I had a figure that was about 10 years old that had some green / yellow discoloration and it helped. Its cheaper plastic though, and it will continue to happen over time, no matter what.

Reaction score

padmesghost said:
CMDR_Appo said:
Try a light scrub in soap and water first, I had a figure that was about 10 years old that had some green / yellow discoloration and it helped. Its cheaper plastic though, and it will continue to happen over time, no matter what.
Thanks, I'll give that a go. I thought it was to do with using cheaper plastic, as it's mostly over rubber helmets, while my 2006 solid plastic cmd Cody helmet remains intact.

Reaction score

hey guys, do any of you know if the Capt Needa arms will fit in the Lt Sunber figure and if so, how do you swap them?

Reaction score

Spookymufu said:
hey guys, do any of you know if the Capt Needa arms will fit in the Lt Sunber figure and if so, how do you swap them?

never mind, lost interest in doing this....

Reaction score

Anyone have an idea what head-peg size for Dak and Snowspeeder Luke is? I'm trying to flesh out Rogue Flight and the old thread lists Janson and Ommis as size 16, which seems to be atleast two sizes larger than the Indy or Gi-Joes I'd like to use as donors...

Hoping that Dak or Luke might be a size or two down...

(Also, anyone have any good references for the newer GIJOE head-peg sizes?)

Reaction score

Most of the 25th, ROC and newer Joes are size 12. There are VERY few exceptions.

Reaction score

Greycap said:
Most of the 25th, ROC and newer Joes are size 12. There are VERY few exceptions.
Wow, that's terribly small...
I guess there won't be much swapping in that department if Wes and Ommis are 16s.

Reaction score

2E151 said:
Anyone have an idea what head-peg size for Dak and Snowspeeder Luke is?
They are both 16.

Reaction score

I'm in the process of customizing the 4 diferent colored Phase I clones using the new TVC figure, and I was just wondering, does anyone have any tips on how to paint the 4 dots on the left side of the chestplate to keep them even and the same size? Any help would be much appreciated!

Reaction score

You could try using an ultra-fine brush. They can be bought at most art/hobby stores.