Tutorials, Useful Threads, & Customizing Questions

Reaction score
Is there a really good go to site that people use for getting 3D files? I’ve used a couple but wasn’t sure if there’s some great site I don’t know about. I’m kind of kicking myself because I recently dropped a lot of money buying parts already 3D printed but have now learned it’s really easy to do (and waaaaay cheaper) at my library. So now I’m excited about all the possibilities!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Sweet. Love those! Where did you find the files? I might have to borrow the library's printer to test it out.
I didn't print those from the picture, but I designed one in the 3.75 size that is articulated at the neck and legs. I'll post a picture soon.

I can only design in basic geo shapes because I'm self taught and lack the technical know-how for organic shapes and textures.

Reaction score
I didn't print those from the picture, but I designed one in the 3.75 size that is articulated at the neck and legs. I'll post a picture soon.

I can only design in basic geo shapes because I'm self taught and lack the technical know-how for organic shapes and textures.
Which is a step above me. Unless people need sticks...which are 3d rendered straight lines. Perhaps they can double as vintage lightsabers...

Looking forward to pictures!

Reaction score
I have been on the hunt to find some 1:12 military style medals. I assumed it would be easy to find what I am looking for but my searches have not been fruitful. Anyone have some advice?

I am trying to make a House of M Magneto and need something similar to those medals.
Reference:
1d1bcb74cc7a1b8f99181d198e40335b.jpg

Utinniii

Reaction score
I don't look for specific scales, just items. They can all be either scaled up or down. I believe the conversions are posted above somewhere.
Even if not, I just measure in mm how long or wide the item needs to be and scale it that way.

Reaction score
I have been on the hunt to find some 1:12 military style medals. I assumed it would be easy to find what I am looking for but my searches have not been fruitful. Anyone have some advice?
Are you looking for appliques or more physical type items?

Reaction score
Either or but I would like if there was some dimension to them. I had even considered scrap booking stickers but those seemed too big.
Ok. I usually search Etsy but even in my quick search I am going to look for dollhouse miniatures which are scaled roughly the same. Still looking...

ETA: this is one example.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am sooooo loving this 3D printing!! I just picked up a 6” scale amanaman from my library. The file I used is for a 3.75” figure but I increased the scale by 152.4% (which is what someone told me to use) and that ratio has worked twice now as this amanaman looks to be the right size and I also used it on tzivzzt’s head and that worked as well. Not sure if that percentage has already been mentioned or if it helps anyone but if you want to upscale a 3.75” to 6” this should work.

I can’t wait to get amanaman painted and in my diorama. Only thing I couldn’t find is a file for his staff.

8AB4BADF-04ED-48D8-B1FA-A6CA1A6F6EEF.jpeg

Reaction score
Anyone worked with the Halo figures yet? I'm working a custom pilot but the Testors paint is drying really tacky. Should I sand it and repaint?

Reaction score
What kind of Testors paint are you using? The (discontinued) acrylic Model Master is (was) great, but the enamel doesn't work well with action figure plastics.

FWIW, If I have to strip paint that I've applied, my best (and most efficient) results come from washing/scrubbing with an old toothbrush in denatured alcohol, followed up with a scrub with Simple Green or similar.

Reaction score
What kind of Testors paint are you using? The (discontinued) acrylic Model Master is (was) great, but the enamel doesn't work well with action figure plastics.

FWIW, If I have to strip paint that I've applied, my best (and most efficient) results come from washing/scrubbing with an old toothbrush in denatured alcohol, followed up with a scrub with Simple Green or similar.

I’m still mourning the loss of the testors model masters acrylics. I’ve got about thirty projects ready to go but the only thing holding me back is I haven’t found a new paint I like yet. Had I known ahead of time that line was being discontinued I would have bought up as much as I could.

Reaction score
Me, too. I mainly use it for small details and washes, so I'm still able to find the occasional color that I need on eBay. I've never gotten the hang of Tamiya acrylic, and have only started dabbling with Vallejo. I usually don't use paint on areas that might rub, so durability isn't so much a factor for me as how well I can apply it. For whatever reason Testors is much easier for me to use.