Tutorials, Useful Threads, & Customizing Questions

Reaction score
Some of my older Hoth troopers have fraying lower SGs. I was thinking of replacing the SGs with material like LEGO capes are made from. Does anyone know what that type of material is called?

Reaction score
I contacted hasbro in regards to what material they use for their sith soft capes. I recived a reply stating they use a Polyester Pique Knit, [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Figure I would pass it on to those who want to make their own capes. If anyone knows of another material that works please reply with this as the quoted post.[/FONT]

Reaction score
1. Does anyone know of a captain rex head that is proportional to the 3.75 inch black series body?

2. Is there a method to removing the panels on the inquisitors, kanan jarus without wrecking them? I have gone through many.

Reaction score
1. Does anyone know of a captain rex head that is proportional to the 3.75 inch black series body?

2. Is there a method to removing the panels on the inquisitors, kanan jarus without wrecking them? I have gone through many.
1- Would any Jango Fett head be suitable?
2- What "panels" are you referring to?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to customise one of the Kotobukiya droids? I would love to have a Death Star Droid, or a 4-LOM, but I'm not sure it will either be possible or within my talent set

Reaction score
Just a heads up. Montoy air drying clay (fake Model Magic) is utter crap. It isn't worth getting.

Reaction score
I'm interested in your thoughts.

Since I lost my picture links (again), I haven't been posting here, but I intend to change that.
When I finally do what format do you think is best?

1] Thumbnails VS Full sized pictures (Why?)

2] a) Having individual threads for each custom. b) Having one thread for everything. c) Having a WIP thread and a "Finished" thread.

3] Is having tutorials or explaining the process worth the effort?

4] Putting non-SW figures here or in the Cool Toys Forum (where they really belong)?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Assume I know nothing about painting... because it's true.

First question: If I wanted to just make something black, will Sharpie work? Is there a different kind of marker that will work better? I'm nervous of paints because I'm just looking to do a small detail.

Second question: Do I need a finishing coat like dullcoat anytime I paint (or marker something) and what would you say is the best for that?

The project is to turn a Hovertank Pilot into a Hovertank Commander. Basically charcoal grey shoulders and a single black arm stripe.

Reaction score
Marker may work for the short term but will eventually wear off. I would use paint the key to painting figures is light coats.

for something as small as a figure I would skip the clear coat, unless you are doing some really detailed work but I always recommend it on vehicles as they will need the extra protection

Reaction score
Sharpies tend to bleed over time. Gel pens or paint pens in my experience, do not.

Paint will wear off unless a clearcoat is added, especially around the joints. If you never intend to touch them again, then you can get away without a clearcoat. (I rarely use it, but often regret it).

I don't consider myself a good painter BTW and I use cruddy paints.

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good thread or tutorial about improving the OTC ANH Han Solo, or kit-bashing a good ANH Han? I've never been happy with any of the releases so far and I was thinking about starting with the new TVC Han from the Solo movie as a base. The legs are already the correct shade with the Correlian bloodstripe and BJ hips...I was wondering if this figure could be cut and mated with the OTC Han..? The OTC figure has a solid torso though, and the young Han has the chest articulation.

I tried a search but only found threads about other versions of Han.

Last edited:
Reaction score
BTW...just out of curiosity, has anyone tried using the arms from the VC120 Hoth Trooper to fix those awful 80's shoulder pad looking shoulders on the Hoth Luke?

Reaction score
Yes, you can combine the two Hans. I did it and like it okay.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, had to cut the figure at the waist. He still has swivel action, I cut the top part on the figure so when I superglued them they would have the nub in the torso still there.

Reaction score
Nail Art Beads

I just bought 2 kinds of nail art beads.

The metalic ones are b4lls and the pearl one is only half a sphere. They make good accessories to figures and also good greeblies.

The pearls were used for the "eyes"

Reaction score
Anyone know if the black series 6 inch lower torso/crotch pieces got to be cracked to get the upper thigh off the figure? Or can the upper thigh pop off the crotch joint with heat like the rest of the figure? Curious becuase the upper thigh is that same harder plastic that's two pieces glued together like the lower torso.

Reaction score
I need to make a custom lightsaber with a red blade for a 6" BS figure, from scratch. The detailing on the hilt will have not much importance. Could you guide me?

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread, I once saw a tutorial on here about making vehicle display stands out of those plastic wine glasses. Does anybody know where I might find that?

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread, I once saw a tutorial on here about making vehicle display stands out of those plastic wine glasses. Does anybody know where I might find that?
I recommend doing a keyword search "plastic wine glass".

The base for these droids is a mini martini glass (I wanted the top to make cafe umbrella stands.). I used a clear straw for the stem since that is what I had on hand. I added a little peg on the bottom of the droid so it wouldn't fall off. If I wasn't rushed for time, I would have done it a little better.

I

Reaction score
I need to make a custom lightsaber with a red blade for a 6" BS figure, from scratch. The detailing on the hilt will have not much importance. Could you guide me?
You can try to find a red plastic tube maybe at hoppy lobby then all you need to do is cut it to the correct length maybe add some electrical tape for the handle

Reaction score
I have tried and tried, but I cannot seem to find a good metallic gold acrylic spray that works on figures and is a true gold color.

I’m trying to do a SA version of Commander Pyre, and I tried Tamiya, which sprayed evenly and wasn’t tacky, but unfortunately it was extremely yellow.

Can anyone point me into the right direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I love the design for the Maz's Castle droid ME-8D9 and would really like to have a go at customising her. I've got a little experience and am fine with minor sculpting of organic but droids don't turn out so well - symmetry and smoothness are tough. Does anyone have any suggestions to either help with the sculpting or some potential figures to avoid major sculpting at all?

Thanks

Reaction score
I'm looking to make an E-wing out of the old POTF X-wing. Anyone here know what wings I could use? The wings on the E-wing bend a bit downwards at the end. I've searched ebay and nothing really comes close. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Is there any way to remove the belt from a superarticulated 3.75" stormtrooper? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for sites that have 6" scale head casts and such. Hoping you guys can help me out.

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for sites that have 6" scale head casts and such. Hoping you guys can help me out.
Look up Outer Rim Traders, lots of goodies. There are other sites as well, but this one I know of.

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on what color I could use for rebel fighters? Particularly the X-wing and E-wing.