Try-To-Finish-Tuesday Challenge!!!

Utinniii

Reaction score
November submissions

November was busy but I managed to clear up quite a few bits I had lying around.

Wrecking Ball
This has been sitting unfinished for months.

Anime toy, cast head and Food toy.

Robots

Lots of unfinished models (some decades old). Some unpainted (mis)casts. There are also 4 different Sci-fi character (heads). They belong in my Droid torture room.

Monster heads

More (mis)casts. There are 2 creatures I made from casts and broken toys, Bill the Cat, and just in time for Halloween, Dog in Jawa costume. The heads might go in a dio somewhere.
Zombie Oranguang. Also not in time for Haloween.

Ultron Army.

I got a bunch on clearance. They look great with better paint.

Reaction score
Here are one or two things I did, even though it's now Wednesday...

I did a line-up of the classic 1977 Han Solo figure with the new custom figure I did.

Next to it is a line-up of redone Western figures. Billy the Kid and Jesse James are now close to their original unproduced prototypes (almost), then there's my Western likeness which no longer has the button in the back (although it still retains the original quick-draw action) and its holster is completely redone as well as the right leg completely fixed (however, if I wanted to mount it on the horse, I would have to do it gently - if you handle it too roughly, all the hard work in the repair work), and finally, the fourth figure is a generic hillbilly deputy (I was inspired by Chester from earlier episodes of Gunsmoke (or Gun Law as it was known in the UK) and incorporated some Red Dead inspiration from memory). The hat may be a little too big on the crown, but I might re-do it someday. For now, I'll let y'all give your verdicts.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Love the Hillbilly! The hat does look big, but that might have been a fashion thing at one point so it might still be authentic.

Speaking of hats, the GI JOE figure "Wild Bill" is on Ebay a lot. You can buy him 3/5/10 at a time. Would his hat work for you? There is another version of him where you get 1 hat and 2 six shooters. That might be a good way for you to get guns and hats. Indiana Jones also has multiples on E Bay. I'm not sure if the hat and pistol are what you need though.

Utinniii

Reaction score
December Submissions

“Arctic alien” (ANH) this sketch was turned into a character for a C-3P0’s cereal commercial.

Many of the unused concept sketches were later used to create new characters and races for RPGs and CCGs. One such alien became Councilman Po Ruddle Lingshot of Cloud City.

Here he is studying “Alien 19” (ROTJ) which seems to be part diaonga.

Concept Alien: Jabba’s entourage (white uniform)
Elomin: Native to the planet Elom, they are logical and find humans to be agents of chaos. An easy custom of a Game of Thrones Whitewalker.
Time is short, but I will upload better photos if I can.

D’harhan was a Niordi that was turned into a weapon. He was the last of the project to survive. He became a bounty hunter.
Bluescale is an Ssi-ruu.

Jawa “Bantha” Binary Load Lifter. Jawas are known to cobble together questionable droids. Some people collect them as “art”.
Chalum, owner of the Mos Eisley CantinaTries to shoo them away.

Mos Espa Gonk, Bobba Gonk, Bantha Load lifter, background Gotal, Mos Espa food creatures, severed heads and droid bits.

Hugo and Maggie (with older figures)

Last edited:
Reaction score
November was busy but I managed to clear up quite a few bits I had lying around.

Wrecking Ball
This has been sitting unfinished for months.

Anime toy, cast head and Food toy.

Robots

Lots of unfinished models (some decades old). Some unpainted (mis)casts. There are also 4 different Sci-fi character (heads). They belong in my Droid torture room.

Monster heads

More (mis)casts. There are 2 creatures I made from casts and broken toys, Bill the Cat, and just in time for Halloween, Dog in Jawa costume. The heads might go in a dio somewhere.
Zombie Oranguang. Also not in time for Haloween.

Ultron Army.

I got a bunch on clearance. They look great with better paint.
Oh man, those Ultrons will be great! Its too bad the movie didn't quite capture the terror that the idea of Ultron invokes in me. The jokey comedy voices was terrible. He should be cold cold cold and unstoppable.

Reaction score
I thought that alien in the white uniform looked real familiar:

He looks like the pirate captain Finhead Stonebone (not a very good name choice, yes) in the "Tales of the Jedi" comic book series from Dark Horse during the mid 90s.

And judging by the concept art you posted, the comic book artists must have adapted his look from this sketch:

Here are some concept sketches for the figures

This maybe a pretty random comment but I think it's cool when I see a connection like that.

Utinniii

Reaction score
That is neat! I'm glad the concept was used somewhere.

I'm not sure how long I've had this one in my unfinished pile. It was made when I didn't mix Model magic colors (or I was using up the last of it). It might be over 10 years since I sculpted it.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this thread for so long, Utinniii- you are by far the most creative person on Scum!

Utinniii

Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this thread for so long, Utinniii- you are by far the most creative person on Scum!
That is high praise coming from you! That means a lot.

So will you be taking part?

Here is my first submissions for the year.

Fodder Friday Force. Most of these are made with random bits I didn't want to throw away. A couple are repaints, and the yellow thing in the back is from the EWOKS cartoon.

I love the cast of this head so much I made a squad (using up my too short fodder pieces)

Some EU goodness, and a tribute to Carrie (based on the Goodwin comics)

And a better pic of Alien 18 (not 19)

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Thanks!

Here is Moroff, from a concept sketch. This is a great way to change up any extras you have from army building the Scarif Trooper.
I changed the mouth and added a tiny pouch on his arm.

EDIT: I just realized I never posted this guy. I got the idea from Darth Dikkensian's, Hanger's and Mash.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Nice job you did there! Those two guys are similar to MAD Magazine's Spy VS Spy comic strips.

Sorry, haven't been active since December, but don't worry, I'll be back with more new customs to share!
YES! that is the pun. I also have a club and eventually I want to make an anvil. If I ever did a photo novel I'd like to have them in the background with their silly antics.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Rest of January submissions

Between being sick and extra busy at work, I didn't do as much as I wanted to. I was hoping to finish one project, but didn't.

First up are 2 backgrounders, some critters and interesting toys I repainted. The Mctoy head makes a good astromech IMO.

As soon as I finished the Nicto, I realized his facial markings should be repainted as a KISS figure. I may have to redo him another time.

Some Ratfinks I don't know what to do with. It took me years to paint them.

Back when I was posting weekly, I had these as a back up for a week where I couldn't post. Now that I'm mostly posting monthly, I don't need them for that any more. These are Yujin figures. They came unpainted. I think they look cool.

Utinniii

Reaction score
February Submissions

Well. I started this thread about a year ago and I am happy to have finished 3 dioramas over 60 figures and hundreds of "stuff" I had lying around. I'm pretty proud that I managed to keep working throughout the year as usually I get sidetracked.

I had wanted to end off the year by finishing another diorama but I learned something this month. If one is in a good place when making something, one should work for as long as that feeling lasts. Because of that, I didn't finish the dio. I'll hold off on showing the work I did do until it is finished.

One thing I did finally finish was organizing my greeblies. Each bag is sorted by colour, purpose, or similar shape. It is now much easier to find/see what I have. Here is a pic (some of you are the rare few that will find this interesting and understand how satisfying this was!)

One of the things that kept me focused was the people that took part in this. Thanks for participating and I'd like to invite anyone (both old and new) to contribute to this thread!

Once I finish my tank, I think I am seriously going to try to not START anything new and spend 3 months just trying to finish off my unfinished figures. Even after a year, I only made a small dent in my unfinished figures.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Those are neat! You have an interesting mix of fodder for the first one.

It is nice to see this thread getting active again. I'd like to welcome any new submissions and welcome back anyone that has taken part before and wants to do some more.
Here's some stuff I've been working on.

I'll have more by the end of the month!

Reaction score
Those are neat! You have an interesting mix of fodder for the first one.

It is nice to see this thread getting active again. I'd like to welcome any new submissions and welcome back anyone that has taken part before and wants to do some more.
Here's some stuff I've been working on.

I'll have more by the end of the month!
Thanks very much! Speaking of fodder...

Utinniii

Reaction score
Sorry everyone for the lost photos.
Photocansuckit went from a free site to $400/yr. I'm not paying for that. I may restart this thread, although, most of you seemed to have stopped posting.

In case anyone is wondering what the free service provides...
In case anyone was wondering what the free service for photobucket looks like:

Of course, once I touch this, another add zooms to the front and then yet another add blocks everything. It takes about 30 seconds to get where I want to be, and ads often cover the album names.

I'm in the process of trying to download my albums. It takes a couple of minutes to get permission to download it (and often crashes). If you opt for the email notification to download, the link they send hasn't worked for me 3/4 times. In 2 days, I've successfully downloaded 4 folders.

Reaction score
Sorry everyone for the lost photos.
Photocansuckit went from a free site to $400/yr. I'm not paying for that. I may restart this thread, although, most of you seemed to have stopped posting.

In case anyone is wondering what the free service provides...
In case anyone was wondering what the free service for photobucket looks like:

Of course, once I touch this, another add zooms to the front and then yet another add blocks everything. It takes about 30 seconds to get where I want to be, and ads often cover the album names.

I'm in the process of trying to download my albums. It takes a couple of minutes to get permission to download it (and often crashes). If you opt for the email notification to download, the link they send hasn't worked for me 3/4 times. In 2 days, I've successfully downloaded 4 folders.
Why not re-size your photographs and send them here?

Reaction score
It's taken me a while, but I've finally gotten around to uploading some photos of my current "try to finish" project: a custom rebel transport. It's still very much a work in progress but hopefully posting the occasional update will help keep me motivated to finish it!

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
It's taken me a while, but I've finally gotten around to uploading some photos of my current "try to finish" project: a custom rebel transport. It's still very much a work in progress but hopefully posting the occasional update will help keep me motivated to finish it!
That looks really good so far. Once it is weathered up, it will look even better!
I have a yellowed broken ship I inherited from my cousin. I was thinking about giving it back to him, but after seeing yours, I may reconsider.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, I'm gradually nearing the point when I can weather it; there are so many little details on this ship. Even though I was always conscious that Kenner made some changes from the ILM model to make it work as a toy , it wasn't until I started on this project and had to start thinking about which bits would need to be black (or nearly black - black itself didn't look right) to suggest what were empty spaces on the model that I appreciated how different the two versions are.
It would be really good to see your take on a custom rebel transport!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Yakface.com has a mini-rig contest over the next 3 months. I have about a dozen ideas I want to do (not including beasts). It will probably be awhile before I get to my rebel transport.

While I love that we are getting movies every year, I am falling way behind in what I want to make, which is why this challenge is good for me.

In case you are wondering about the vehicles
Finish my Jawa STAP, and glider
Jawa Transport (TMNT battlevan)
R1 Tank; mini R1 Tank
Speeder made from top of Tank I bought to make above tank.
ANH Void Spider and ball speeder
2-3 mini rigs based on the Droids cartoon
1:18ish Sandcrawler front (one day!)
Repaint Rey's speeder
(Not SW, but a Cylon Raider 1:18 ship)

Beasts
2 Dino mounts
Happabore
Dragon mount
R1 mount
Blurrg
My own creations

Then I have all my dioramas I want to make/finish
R1 Jeddah is almost done!
Tweak my Jakku,
Maz cantina
Jabba's dais
Rancor Pit
My own cantina
(remake a better ANH cantina)
Tatooine street

Non SW
Finish my Gremlins diorama
Dark Crystal
(I've given up on my Avengers tower meeting room, X-Men Danger room, and either a S.H.I.E.L.D or DC display. Although I really should finish the first 2 since I have most of the materials done for them.)

Then I have 100's of figures (discounting all the DC and Marvel figures).

I intend to finish 3 dioramas a year.

Reaction score
Yakface.com has a mini-rig contest over the next 3 months. I have about a dozen ideas I want to do (not including beasts). It will probably be awhile before I get to my rebel transport.

While I love that we are getting movies every year, I am falling way behind in what I want to make, which is why this challenge is good for me.

In case you are wondering about the vehicles
Finish my Jawa STAP, and glider
Jawa Transport (TMNT battlevan)
R1 Tank; mini R1 Tank
Speeder made from top of Tank I bought to make above tank.
ANH Void Spider and ball speeder
2-3 mini rigs based on the Droids cartoon
1:18ish Sandcrawler front (one day!)
Repaint Rey's speeder
(Not SW, but a Cylon Raider 1:18 ship)

Beasts
2 Dino mounts
Happabore
Dragon mount
R1 mount
Blurrg
My own creations

Then I have all my dioramas I want to make/finish
R1 Jeddah is almost done!
Tweak my Jakku,
Maz cantina
Jabba's dais
Rancor Pit
My own cantina
(remake a better ANH cantina)
Tatooine street

Non SW
Finish my Gremlins diorama
Dark Crystal
(I've given up on my Avengers tower meeting room, X-Men Danger room, and either a S.H.I.E.L.D or DC display. Although I really should finish the first 2 since I have most of the materials done for them.)

Then I have 100's of figures (discounting all the DC and Marvel figures).

I intend to finish 3 dioramas a year.
It just so happens that I am working on a small vehicle based on Luke's lanspeeder (the original vintage Kenner one). I haven't taken any picutres yet, but if you like, I could show the vehicle in progress to you.

Reaction score

That looks fantastic. I'm surprised how this can be restored to working order again. Suppose Hasbro re-releashed this bad boy?

Utinniii

Reaction score
It just so happens that I am working on a small vehicle based on Luke's lanspeeder (the original vintage Kenner one). I haven't taken any picutres yet, but if you like, I could show the vehicle in progress to you.
Sure! Anything that helps customizers complete their creations. That was the reason I started this thread.