Try-To-Finish-Tuesday Challenge!!!

Utinniii

Reaction score
This is open to everyone!!
I've been talking to a few of us and we all have the same problem of starting a figure and never finishing it (I have dozens!) Just talking, inspired me to finish a few. I also decided to dedicate Tuesdays just for finishing something.

My challenge is this: Take a day of the week (doesn't have to be Tuesday) and if you have time to craft, use the time to first finish something you have been working on (the older, the better). If you finished, post it here (any day, not just Tues).

Only rule is if you post a figure here you also have to comment individually on other poster's work. Anyone can comment though.

Who's in?

Reaction score
i'm in.... great idea too! it's hard to remember which one is the oldest? i may slip the odd closest in there though.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Hey we're almost neighbours!

I'm not to worried about things being the absolute oldest. I was thinking more along the lines of something that was abandoned rather than finishing a current project (unless the new project is mocking you from the shelf, in which case, take it down and finish it off!).

This week I didn't really finish anything old, but I did revisit a few and they are all now closer to being finished.
I got side tracked by a couple of unstarted V figures. I'm currently making the Alien baby and realized I needed a character to hold it.

Here is what I did finish last week though. The security droid was finished but the rest needed tweaks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are a good few projects I really should finish; so, yes, I'm in too.

Reaction score
Looking good Utinniii! I particularly like the one second from the left.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm in, too!

For those who don't know me, I'm a vintage customizer who uses exclusively vintage parts. I don't use any modern pieces in my customs. I sculpt with paint, but no clay, which limits me to building up volume on top of vintage pieces rather than creating pieces from scratch.

One of my first customs was Dr. Evazan, who I made about three years ago. He was pretty rough - my paint skills were pretty limited at the time, and I had simply taken a large head Han and tried to reshape it with an exacto knife and a hot poker up the nose. Since then I've developed my paint sculpting technique, and have been meaning to revisit the figure for ages. In the spirit of this thread, I’ve finally gone back and finished it off!

The original is simply a Large Head Han repainted, as I mentioned. For the upgrade, I replaced the old boots with boots from a Luke Jedi. I used paint sculpting to cover up some of the chisel marks on the head and build up the hair, nose, and damaged eye. I also covered up the detail on the vest to make it more like the actual Dr. Evazan, whose vest is a lot plainer than Han's. I also added some volume to his stomach. You can compare the changes from the old figure below.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Looking good Utinniii! I particularly like the one second from the left.

If you like the stovetop now, wait until you see the more accurate one I'm (procrastinating) working on. I made the first one off of VHS pauses.
It's my ambition to have every at least one of every kind of ANH droid (don't need EVERY R2 color pattern).

It is nice to see before and after photos. The differences are remarkable.

I really admire your strict set of rules for making customs although it baffles me that you don't use modeling gel since it is added to the paint and is technically paint. I still respect your decision though!

While I often decide on a figure I want to make first and then find a body to customize, I often see a toy and realize it really wants to be a different one and so customize it. It may not have been the best body for the resulting custom, but it is a great way to use up fodder and the extra figures one gets in thrift shop bags.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Its called "try to" for a reason! I just learned how hard it is (for me) to actually finish projects in one day. I think it will be very likely that I'll have nothing for weeks at a time and then suddenly have a bunch of finished projects.
I'm hoping to have at least 30 "old projects" finished by the end of the year but am aiming for more. Let's see if life will let me!:p

I actually did manage to finish something that I've wanted since I was a kid. When the CCG cards came out I bought a single of it since that was the only image I had.
I've spent years looking for parts and trying to figure out how to build it. I tried my best to make it screen accurate. It's actually a very detailed droid.

Finally, I'm one step closer to my droid domination.

Jawa Bantha droid!

1POA!!! The head turns. Don't touch the arms. Don't even look at them! Seriously, stop it!!

Here are some of my unfinished Star Wars customs. I hope to finish most of them this year. Now that I've posted them, I'm more likely to finish them. Self shaming works!

Dang! I need to add the silver dots in the bottom grill. I guess he's not finished after all.

Reaction score
Excellent! You have a really unique style with your droids that fits the grittiness associated with the original trilogy perfectly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I really admire your strict set of rules for making customs although it baffles me that you don't use modeling gel since it is added to the paint and is technically paint. I still respect your decision though!
I guess at this point it's mostly just stubbornness. When I started out, my goal was to try to adhere to the vintage line as much as possible and kitbash everything with no modern parts, as they just seemed like the easy way out. Putting a modern head on a vintage figure and calling it vintage, for example, felt wrong and un-vintage to me (no disrespect to the vintage customizers who do that though - this is a personal choice, not a crusade against others, and I've seen some phenomenal customs made by people who have taken modern parts and made them look vintage). I wanted to limit myself to materials that were truly vintage. As far as foreign materials go (paint, glue, clay, green stuff, cloth, etc) I figured just stick to the bare necessities. You can't customize without paint and glue, so those were in, but everything else was out.

I think when it comes down to it, that's always been kind of the appeal of vintage - the limitations. If you want accuracy, you go with something else. If you want articulation, you go with something else. But vintage appeals to people who like the simplicity. Keeping my materials list as basic as possible is my way of adhering to the vintage line. This allows me to stray from the vintage look in other ways - if I want to make super detailed X-Wing pilot helmets, for example, then I go for it. It may not look truly vintage, but that doesn't bother me because I know I did it within my own personal set of limitations and I'm still staying true to vintage in my own way. So in a weird way, by limiting myself I'm actually giving myself permission to do more.

That said, I've never heard of this modeling gel before and I'm intrigued by it. I'll have to give it a try and see how I feel about it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
O.kay.....here is the first finished long time dust collector from off my work bench. It's definitely not the oldest but one I have wanted to finish for a while.:grin:

I was going for that obi-wan look with the sculpted robes and the vinyl cape and ofcoarse kenners sometimes odd choice of colour.

Reaction score
O.kay.....here is the first finished long time dust collector from off my work bench. It's definitely not the oldest but one I have wanted to finish for a while.:grin:

I was going for that obi-wan look with the sculpted robes and the vinyl cape and ofcoarse kenners sometimes odd choice of colour.
Yes! Love it. Unusual color choice for Garindan like you said but it totally works. I envision this is a figure they could have released around the time of the Creature Cantina. How did you do the legs?

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Excellent! You have a really unique style with your droids that fits the grittiness associated with the original trilogy perfectly.

Thanks! It is called "lack of skill":p One reason I enjoy making monsters so much is that if I do them wrong, they just look more monstrous. Gritty droids work the same. I rarely do humans because if a proportion is wrong it shows.

I actually gave this droid 3 different washes Black/white/black (like an Oreo!) since photos show black spills over white.
For a background droid made of recycled plane parts, this droid is really detailed.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I was going for that obi-wan look with the sculpted robes and the vinyl cape and of course Kenners sometimes odd choice of colour.
That looks very vintage! It would fit in nicely with the Cantina playset. This was a figure I wanted as a child so I was delighted when it was finally produced.
Coincidentally, I just recently bought another Garnidin(SP).
I'm going to paint him mostly white. Darth_Dickensian in his [h=3]Hangars and Mash, my one panel comics[/h]made a Spy VS Spy joke using them and I just have to copy them. I just have to decide which wacky trap I'm going to make.

Reaction score
Here's one I started a while back. For a while I thought he was actually going to be a Rebel Technician, but I could never quite figure out the right recipe. My main issue is that the Rebel Tech has pants that go all the way down (over the boots) but have pockets, and there's no vintage figure that has that combination. I'll give it another go eventually, but for this figure I decided to shift gears and turn him into a Yavin Guard instead.

The head is a DS Commander, and I actually cut the visor from the back of a Bespin Guard's hat. The Torso is Luke Bespin and the arms are Jedi Luke. The legs are Lando.

I need to get him a repro spear so I can give this one back to the Emperor's Guard he stole it from.

Last edited:
Reaction score

He looks great. The robes are very reminiscent of Obi-Wan's legs. I like the colour; I can just see Kenner doing something like that!

Reaction score
Here's one I started a while back. For a while I thought he was actually going to be a Rebel Technician, but I could never quite figure out the right recipe. My main issue is that the Rebel Tech has pants that go all the way down (over the boots) but have pockets, and there's no vintage figure that has that combination. I'll give it another go eventually, but for this figure I decided to shift gears and turn him into a Yavin Guard instead.

The head is a DS Commander, and I actually cut the visor from the back of a Bespin Guard's hat. The Torso is Luke Bespin and the arms are Jedi Luke. The legs are Lando.

I need to get him a repro spear so I can give this one back to the Emperor's Guard he stole it from.
I really like your choice of parts and colour scheme for this custom. I might have to borrow the recipe some time...but not until I've completed some of my "try-to-finish" projects!

Utinniii

Reaction score

Another great figure! My first question I had was how you got the visor! What a good solution. One of my joys in seeing customs is figuring out the original sources for parts. Yours are extra fun since I know you don't use Sculpy et al to make parts.

I use Wellbond glue for most of my projects. I find it is tacky enough to keep it's shape and it can be layered. I've built up 2mm with it. I don't know if you would consider that cheating if you used it to make pockets or not.

I guess you keep every tiny piece just in case you need it later on.

Reaction score
Yes! Love it. Unusual color choice for Garindan like you said but it totally works. I envision this is a figure they could have released around the time of the Creature Cantina. How did you do the legs?
The whole figure less the head was the deathsquad commander . I then sculpted over it using milli putty.

Reaction score
This is the first of my long-unfinished customs: a vintage Toryn Farr. I struggled with getting her head right and so abandoned her for a bit, but I tried again with the help of some green stuff.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
This is the first of my long-unfinished customs: a vintage Toryn Farr. I struggled with getting her head right and so abandoned her for a bit, but I tried again with the help of some green stuff.

And then there were 4 (of us)!

I concur, the headset looks fantastic!

I have to say, I'm really glad I started this thread because it really inspires me to work on stuff. There have been at least three times I have come home from work to tired to customize but seeing new comments or submissions here got me off my computer and back into the workshop.

Utinniii

Reaction score
2 down, 200 to go!

John Constantine (I didn't say they all had to be Star Wars!) Painted a Batman figure (Harvey Dent?), gave him Han's trench and glued a Silk Cut to his lip (will fall off if you stare hard enough!)

2 headed Sabretooth: From the Magick mini series. She was my favourite New Mutant and I loved the series. I am making Kat to go with this.

I also found a vintage figure I was working on. I started working on in before the 2 figures it is based on had figures (so it is old!). I didn't finish it this week but it will be soonish. I've mentioned before that I don't enjoy painting as much. You will see why when you see my early effort. I considered repainting but it is nice to see my progression.

I also finished these today.
Here I saw something that looks like a creature to me so I had to build it. I also finished the 3 TFA figures.

Reaction score
Interesting idea: I'd always put that thing on the Falcon computer/tech station down to being just another greeblie, but what if it was a creature?
What did you use to make the TFA aliens?

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
I think the creature is probably a tool belt. Besides, Han already had a Wookie for a pet.:p

I primarily create with Model Magic to make my figures. At first it was because I didn't have an oven (and didn't realize one could boil Sculpy/Fimo), but then primarily because it was cheap and light. I can't get super fine details out of it (unless from a mold), and it is fragile but I find it relaxing to use and just mixing the colors is fun.
It actually holds up over time very well. Some of my figures are around 15 years old and they are still fine.

Reaction score
Any screen shots of this mysterious tool belt creature? I can't picture it.

Reaction score
Hmm, never noticed it before but it does look somewhat creature-like!

Utinniii

Reaction score
I didn't think I would finish anything this Tuesday but I managed! Since I have sooooo many unfinished customs, I want to finish at least one a week.

The first alien is a Fodder Friday creation. The body is a cheepo toy and the head (I think) is from a Monster Morph Wolverine figure.

The pieces in the front (paint might be still wet) are wall panels for my droid torture chamber. I really have to get back to that some day! I rusted up that other droid to put in the background somewhere.

Behind him is a mercenary from the "One hand clapping gang". He had a broken off arm so I gave him a saw arm instead. I also got him a cape, which he hates because the saw keeps getting caught in it.

I also shortened the white can on top of the Jawa Gonk. It was bugging me!

I was busy with real life this week so I didn't finish any of my current projects.

Reaction score
The gonk droid looks great, as do the wall panels; they have me wondering what the finished torture chamber will look like. Are they pieces you've cast or are they cannibalised from something else?

Utinniii

Reaction score
Would you believe they are white plastic inserts from something? I don't remember what they are from but it was probably a Korean or Japanese food item (possibly shredded Squid, fruit or candy). I think they were all one piece originally and I cut them into individual pieces. They will go on the wall behind the GG's and mostly be hidden by pipes (I really don't want to make all the stupid elbow joints and support beams!). Methinks I may have to get back to this room one Tuesday.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I kept thinking all week, "Crap! I won't have anything ready for Tues.

I get little things finished (like the demons) but I want to post at least 1 good (preferably SW) figure.

The droid is intended for background salvage. It is from a model I bought in either grade or high school. I finally got around to painting it. It originally had legs but I think to looks more SW without them.

I bought Crossbones cheap 'cause he was missing a hand. Now he doesn't. The purple Mortal Combat figure had extra hands so all I had to do was drill a hole for the hand and repaint.

I needed to paint the mynocks I cast over a year ago. When I have a home for them, I will stick wires in their backs so they look like they are flying.

The Kanamite (Twilight Zone) is all Model Magic except the MCToy hands. It needed the hands and to be painted for over a year now. I'm happy to have an actual scale Kanamite now. The Reaction ones are too short.

The Gotal head just might be from 2002. I think I've gotten much better since then. He is a great backgrounder for somewhere. I may repaint the rope next time I have that colour out.

The nice thing about having soooo many unfinished figures is that when I am painting, I can use up that colour on several different figures at once. Also, I can drill a bunch, glue, wire... while I have that material/tool out. The only problem is I can work for days and (seemingly) have nothing to show for it. Then all of a sudden, several figures are finished at once.

Reaction score
O Kay! I have two off the bench Bom Vimdin and the infamous Spacer along with a group shot of all my cantina customs to date. I also included a fig that was made by Ricky uk always liked his sculpt of bom's head but was disappointed with the scale of the figure when I finally got one .......thus inspiring mine. Doing my part to keep this thread ALIVE!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Hey! I was hoping to post my Bom Vindim head this Tuesday. It is ginormous! Hopefully, next week.

While I like yours I think it would be vastly improved with the studs on the vest. I might also sculpt more folds in the scarf...nevermind, that not Kenner style, yours look great!
I really like the Spacer.
I also like the group shot. I'm keeping my Tuesday challenge figures together and will post a giant group shot in December. I'm hoping it will be huge.

Reaction score
Good looking Spacer and Bom darth_strangerB) ! I have a Bom on card and every time i look at it i try to figure out how to loose the articulation. @ Uttini: I have never heard of a kanamite but your sculpt looks quite decent and action figury, have you ever tried making a little sculpting buck so your figure can have some articulation ?

Reaction score
Bom looks great. I've been doing a bunch of Cantina customs but Bom wasn't really on my to-do list. After seeing yours, you've inspired me to add him!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Good looking Spacer and Bom darth_strangerB) ! I have a Bom on card and every time i look at it i try to figure out how to loose the articulation. @ Uttini: I have never heard of a kanamite but your sculpt looks quite decent and action figury, have you ever tried making a little sculpting buck so your figure can have some articulation ?

We don't need no steenkin articultion!:p

Actually the head turns and it has swivel wrists, and in many of my figures the arms also move because they are all anchored in with a pin.

My favourite media is Model Magic. I started using it because I didn't have an oven and it was cheap and light. I also enjoy mixing the colours. One drawback is that it is fragile. That doesn't really bother me since I don't play with my figures, and often I pose them for the diorama they belong in. Check out the sitting Ranat below.
I'm not familiar with the term "sculpting buck" (I'm self taught).

Kanamits are Biff Bang Pow figures. I grew up watching TTZ so I had to have one. I have a few TTZ figures I want to make (Aliens and monsters).

@DarthS, I realized you DIDN't need them, my "Kenner look" comment was for the studs AND the scarf.

I can't wait until next Tuesday to post so here it is a little early.

I started these two figures before Hasbro released either of them. As you can see, both my painting and sculpting back then wasn't the best (actually, except for the size, I like sculpt of Bom). I just touched up the control chestbox and painted the head.

I still have a problem of giantism, but I'm a lot better.

I also added the Ranats just because I saw them while looking for Bom and Bo. I made the tiny one decades ago. The new one is better. I had a hard time accepting the fact that Ranats weren't Jawa sized.

Reaction score
Another excellent Bom. I really need to do that figure!

I love the Ranat!

Reaction score
I did some imperial techs ages ago and have been meaning to do an equipment case for them ever since so they could double as a scanning crew. First I tried doing a Dagobah crate, but it was way too small (so I turned it into a mouse droid instead). Then I bought a stormtrooper compartment from a troop transport to try to use that instead, but the angles were all wrong and I couldn't figure out a way to get it squared off.

Finally I bought a beater power droid with the aim of using the top half as the case, but I never got around to cutting it in half - was having trouble bringing myself to do it since I wasn't sure how well it would slice. But a few days ago I saw somebody selling just the top half of a Power Droid super cheap and decided to jump on it.

The oval on the top was cut from the same stormtrooper compartment that I bought back when.

It's definitely not 100% screen accurate but it does the job!