Truly sad video of the original Jar Jar Binks reaction.

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNiSkd3HfI

Jar Jar became infamous, no two ways about it. I can recall the venomous fighting upon the release of The Phantom Menace, not unlike today with The Last Jedi. But often, what we as fans forget, is that these are people. I found this truly heartbreaking. Often I did wonder how Ahmed felt. Surely he had to be aware. It makes me often wonder, though Lucas has opened up somewhat, how he really, emotionally, took the critiques of his prequel saga. People made it very personal, heck...even I did. But this video really makes me feel...well...guilty. Now we know Ahmed was suicidal, we know Jake Lloyd's life was essentially ruined and he went downright insane, and Lucas just flat-out quit. What is it with Star Wars? Why is a movie so....culturally important? So important to the public consciousness that it can ruin these peoples lives? And why do we do it? As fans? The environment of SW now has perhaps never been more negative, possibly even worse than around the debut of TPM. But I think, honestly, in times like this...we need to remember what we love about this thing...and remember to treat each other with respect, even if we do disagree. Critique is absolutely fine, it's the purpose of a message board, but there's a proper way of doing this. And after seeing this video, well, I just feel...guilt.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the thing he's missing here is, people hated Jar Jar -- they didn't hate Mr. Ahmed Best (the person).

in fact, he actually contradicts himself on this point : in the first few minutes he says explicitly, that he (himself) was not jar jar,
he was able to completely "disappear" into the role, to the point where HE (himself) was "not even there" during the filming of TPM (his words not mine)..

..then he flips that coin and says, he took it ALL personally, and when people hate jar jar they're actually hating HIM.
^^ this is a mistake on his part (IMO) he shouldn't take it personally. by his own account, he was "not even there".

-====-

then he talks about being a walking race-stereotype,
and how much it actually hurts him to be perceived as 'part of this problem' (rather than part of the solution).

I DO remember people saying the gungans were racially offensive to jamaicans,
but those comments were always directed at George Lucas. not Ahmed Best.

Eddie Murphy, on the other hand, faced actual personal accusations of creating an Uncle Tom character in Shrek.
I remember this was a "thing" -- and this was directed AT Eddie Murphy, not at the director Mike Meyers.

the media took Eddie Murphy to task on this, and EM took it all in stride.
he repeated his performance 3 more times, while thumbing his nose at critics.
("Uncle Tom!? I'll SHOW them Uncle Tom!!"[/voice of donkey]) :p he didn't care.

they called him Uncle Tom and he owned it -- and HE actually did it intentionally!LOL
I don't think Ahmed did it intentionally -- he wasn't actually TRYING to portray racial stereotypes like Eddie Murphy.

from what I remember, this perception mostly came from the parade at the end of the movie.
it was directed at ALL gungans (not jar jar). and George Lucas was named as the Culprit. not Ahmed Best.

-===-

I mean, I feel bad for the guy, don't get me wrong.
this issue hits close to home for me.

I once had a friend who committed suicide, for all the wrong reasons.
nobody could make any sense of it...

....because at the end of the day, his reasons were not justified.
they were "sticks and stones". they were bullshit. his reaction was NOT normal.

....because at the end of the day, people kill themselves because of "mental illness".
NOBODY makes them do it. this is something we ALL need to understand. Ahmed's "Feelings" are not normal.
therefore, nobody should feel guilty for hating "jar jar".

dude needs a Sounding Board -- someone he can talk to, without judgement.
I sincerely hope he has someone in his life to fill this role....

....but in a way it's, problematic, for an artist to hold an audience hostage and say "if you don't like my work I will kill myself" -- this is NOT cool.

Picasso himself received death threats but that didn't stop him -- why should it stop Ahmed Best? -- this reaction is NOT normal.

cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the thing he's missing here is, people hated Jar Jar -- they didn't hate Mr. Ahmed Best (the person).

in fact, he actually contradicts himself on this point : in the first few minutes he says explicitly, that he (himself) was not jar jar,
he was able to completely "disappear" into the role, to the point where HE (himself) was "not even there" during the filming of TPM (his words not mine)..

..then he flips that coin and says, he took it ALL personally, and when people hate jar jar they're actually hating HIM.
^^ this is a mistake on his part (IMO) he shouldn't take it personally. by his own account, he was "not even there".

-====-

then he talks about being a walking race-stereotype,
and how much it actually hurts him to be perceived as 'part of this problem' (rather than part of the solution).

I DO remember people saying the gungans were racially offensive to jamaicans,
but those comments were always directed at George Lucas. not Ahmed Best.

Eddie Murphy, on the other hand, faced actual personal accusations of creating an Uncle Tom character in Shrek.
I remember this was a "thing" -- and this was directed AT Eddie Murphy, not at the director Mike Meyers.

the media took Eddie Murphy to task on this, and EM took it all in stride.
he repeated his performance 3 more times, while thumbing his nose at critics.
("Uncle Tom!? I'll SHOW them Uncle Tom!!"[/voice of donkey]) :p he didn't care.

they called him Uncle Tom and he owned it -- and HE actually did it intentionally!LOL
I don't think Ahmed did it intentionally -- he wasn't actually TRYING to portray racial stereotypes like Eddie Murphy.

from what I remember, this perception mostly came from the parade at the end of the movie.
it was directed at ALL gungans (not jar jar). and George Lucas was named as the Culprit. not Ahmed Best.

-===-

I mean, I feel bad for the guy, don't get me wrong.
this issue hits close to home for me.

I once had a friend who committed suicide, for all the wrong reasons.
nobody could make any sense of it...

....because at the end of the day, his reasons were not justified.
they were "sticks and stones". they were bullshit. his reaction was NOT normal.

....because at the end of the day, people kill themselves because of "mental illness".
NOBODY makes them do it. this is something we ALL need to understand. Ahmed's "Feelings" are not normal.
therefore, nobody should feel guilty for hating "jar jar".

dude needs a Sounding Board -- someone he can talk to, without judgement.
I sincerely hope he has someone in his life to fill this role....

....but in a way it's, problematic, for an artist to hold an audience hostage and say "if you don't like my work I will kill myself" -- this is NOT cool.

Picasso himself received death threats but that didn't stop him -- why should it stop Ahmed Best? -- this reaction is NOT normal.

cheers.
I just find it very tragic. Whether his emotions were rational or not, fans influenced this. It's very sad and I am thankful that he found the courage to not kill himself. As a human being, it's just a movie. People went too far on him. Death threats, angry letters, etc. This man never deserved this. He isn't Jar Jar, he's a man. A father. A person. He didn't deserve to be treated the way he was.

Reaction score
Jar Jar was bloody awful. There are NO two ways about this. He was an incredibly misjudged and ill-conceived character and one that should have just been scrapped at the beginning. In fact, the entire Gungan race should have been erased from existence before the first polygon was created.

Jar Jar Binks (you can tell how awful this character is simply by saying its name) is the result of too much power and too many yes men. It's Homer's car in character form and it will forever amaze me that George Lucas pushed so hard for this guy. But, then again, if George Lucas had had his way on the original 'Star Wars' in 1977, that movie would have been rubbish as well. Remember, he wanted Han Solo to be some sort of green lizardy thing. In fact, I firmly believe that it was the dubious good fortune of consistent production difficulties that stopped Lucas from getting his own way on everything that made 'Star Wars' the great film it is. The same can be said for 'Jaws'. It forced the film makers to think around the problems on set and they ended up producing masterpieces.

As for Ahmed Best, I'm sure fan reaction had an effect on him, but I have doubts about his "suicide" intentions. But, also, a lack of any real movie career after 'The Phantom Menace' had an affect as well. I'm sure he thought he was going to go onto much bigger things and they never materialised.

But, while he doesn't deserve the ire of fans because of a crap character he signed up to play, Jar Jar Binks absolutely does deserve every single barb that was and is thrown his way.

Reaction score
I was just saying, I have never heard an "uncle tom" accusation leveled at Ahmed Best. ever.
but I have, however, heard the same accusation leveled at Eddie Murphy.
he has made a career of it.

it started in the 80's with SNL.
it continued through Mulan and Shrek.
it's not something he EVER shied away from.
he claims it as his signature style (like Richard Pryor). he publicly defends it.

Murphy received criticism for his satirical characterizations based on black stereotypes.
He defended his performances, claiming that his characters were far too absurd and abstract to be taken seriously.
https://www.biography.com/people/eddie-murphy-9418676

^^ it would seem to me that Jar Jar is ALSO "too absurd and abstract to be taken seriously". *shrug*
just saying.
this is something that Edie Murphy takes PRIDE in -- Ahmed's Reaction here is NOT normal.

(he is afraid: "people will perceive me to be just like Eddie Murphy..?" -- uhm..? so what..? how is that a BAD thing..?
there are LOTS of black comedians who enforce hurtful racial stereotypes in children's entertainment to make a cheap buck --
often aimed squarely at children who DO take these "abstract characters" seriously -- and these comedians feel NO SHAME)

^^ my point was : Ahmed's infraction is FAR LESS egregious than Eddie Murphy's!! :p LOL
(Jar Jar is really NOT that bad! ROFL!!) -- Ahmed Best should NOT beat himself up over it -- his 'SHAME' is grossly misplaced.
Dude's got NOTHING to be ashamed of.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As for Ahmed Best, I'm sure fan reaction had an effect on him, but I have doubts about his "suicide" intentions. But, also, a lack of any real movie career after 'The Phantom Menace' had an affect as well. I'm sure he thought he was going to go onto much bigger things and they never materialised.
It seems all too easy these days to give into the victim-culture and blame others for your own failures. Playing on and exploiting people’s sympathies is a way to gain opportunities more than every now. Look at how some members here keep insisting that “Rian received death threats!”, so somehow that makes the incompetent TLJ and his obnoxious, juvenile behaviour more acceptable???

Whose direction was it that had Jar Jar to take on Roger Rabbit with a Jamaican patois…??? I’m sure even if Ahmed had suggested it, it was George who had final say. Just like Jake was not responsible for the horrible portrayal of lil’ Ani, Ahmed was not responsible for his portrayal of Jar Jar. And I’m amused/disappointed that such a ghetto-sterotype of a Black man that Finn is gets not only a pass, but a pat by so many as "progressive". That’s a more offensive/racist portrayal of a Black man than Jar Jar ever was. (Although I wonder why no one in George’s circle, even Steven Spielberg, didn’t advise him against the concept of Jar Jar’s “life debt”— thus a slave, since Jar Jar was portrayed by a Black man, and Qui-Gonn was portrayed by a White man, is just so blatantly... uncomfortable.)

Most of my Black friends are Islanders and Africans— not (North) American Blacks, so their accents are heavily pronounced— but none remotely resemble this ghetto stereotype that Hollywood constantly promotes in Black characters-- like Finn. I mean, why does John have to go with an American-accent when he’s British, and not Daisy? Is it because JJ/Kathy/Disney feels a Black individual with a proper English-accent isn’t “Black” enough for the masses…??? (And let’s not get started with the racist stereotype of an Asian nerd with Rose…) TPM's supposed racist portrayals are so less abrasive than this Sequel's.

TPM did destroy any chances Ahmed and Jake may have had in the industry, but those are the breaks in such an unforgiving business. Showgirls made Elizabeth Berkely a living joke for nearly a decade, until the studio realized there was a cult-following for the film and exploited it for all its worth in joining in on the joke— for profits. Elizabeth is still plugging away. She may not be an A-lister, but she never was, and there are many that will have/had their almost-15 minutes of glory and fade away— even if they’re the hottest thing since Greta Garbo. It’s an unforgiving business, and those that can’t handle it the nastiness, perhaps should never made an attempt in the industry, in the first place.

Reaction score
it started in the 80's with SNL.
it continued through Mulan and Shrek.
it's not something he EVER shied away from.
he claims it as his signature style (like Richard Pryor). he publicly defends it.
Right, so it's something that's plagued him for his entire career? OK, I thought that it was just for Donkey in 'Shrek', which makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Then again, I live in Ireland, so we don't have the nonsensical hang ups about race like Americans do. So, over here and in Europe, there would be nothing about Donkey (let alone Murphy's career) that would ring true along the lines of him being an Uncle Tom.

It's patently ridiculous.

But, I wanna watch '48 Hours' now.

Reaction score
It seems all too easy these days to give into the victim-culture and blame others for your own failures. Playing on and exploiting people’s sympathies is a way to gain opportunities more than every now. Look at how some members here keep insisting that “Rian received death threats!”, so somehow that makes the incompetent TLJ and his obnoxious, juvenile behaviour more acceptable???

It's a shield. People think that by offering a "so and so contemplated suicide", or "so and so received death threats" that they are deferring any and all criticism of something they like or have placed an investment in. Now, Best may have had some nasty comments said to him because of his Jar Jar character, but I doubt he ever seriously considered suicide. As for Rian Johnson, he didn't care. He doesn't care what fans think, and in many ways, more power to him. If you care what some randomer on the web or Twitter says about you or something you've done, then you really need to just step away from the keyboard and talk to real people for a change.

Whose direction was it that had Jar Jar to take on Roger Rabbit with a Jamaican patois…??? I’m sure even if Ahmed had suggested it, it was George who had final say. Just like Jake was not responsible for the horrible portrayal of lil’ Ani, Ahmed was not responsible for his portrayal of Jar Jar. And I’m amused/disappointed that such a ghetto-sterotype of a Black man that Finn is gets not only a pass, but a pat by so many as "progressive". That’s a more offensive/racist portrayal of a Black man than Jar Jar ever was. (Although I wonder why no one in George’s circle, even Steven Spielberg, didn’t advise him against the concept of Jar Jar’s “life debt”— thus a slave, since Jar Jar was portrayed by a Black man, and Qui-Gonn was portrayed by a White man, is just so blatantly... uncomfortable.)

Of course, the bottom line is that Lucas should take the lion's share of criticism for Jar Jar and as I said he was the product of too much power on behalf of George. Jar Jar would never have existed if anyone at LFL at the time had the ***** to tell George that it was a woefully bad idea. But, I've never seen Jar Jar in terms of race. I have just always thought that he was a lamentably unfunny "step in ****" attempt at humour by a guy who just isn't funny.

Most of my Black friends are Islanders and Africans— not (North) American Blacks, so their accents are heavily pronounced— but none remotely resemble this ghetto stereotype that Hollywood constantly promotes in Black characters-- like Finn. I mean, why does John have to go with an American-accent when he’s British, and not Daisy? Is it because JJ/Kathy/Disney feels a Black individual with a proper English-accent isn’t “Black” enough for the masses…??? (And let’s not get started with the racist stereotype of an Asian nerd with Rose…) TPM's supposed racist portrayals are so less abrasive than this Sequel's.

Well, it might have something to with the fact that John's accent is a relatively "London based" one and Daisy's is a public school jolly hockeysticks one. In other words, one of them appeals to Americans more than the other does.

TPM did destroy any chances Ahmed and Jake may have had in the industry, but those are the breaks in such an unforgiving business.
Ya know, I don't think either of them would have had that much of a shining career whether 'The Phantom Menace' existed or not.

Reaction score

Of course, the bottom line is that Lucas should take the lion's share of criticism for Jar Jar and as I said he was the product of too much power on behalf of George. Jar Jar would never have existed if anyone at LFL at the time had the ***** to tell George that it was a woefully bad idea. But, I've never seen Jar Jar in terms of race. I have just always thought that he was a lamentably unfunny "step in ****" attempt at humour by a guy who just isn't funny.
And Lucas should take the praise for making a great film with great characters from the MANY people that love The Phantom Menace and love JarJar because they are smart enough to take him for what he was meant to be.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ya know, I don't think either of them would have had that much of a shining career whether 'The Phantom Menace' existed or not.
LOL Very true.

SW has never been a vehicle to launch any actor’s career: You’d better have a solid CV before coming on board… even Natalie stated that SW was a poison that nearly killed her career— and she was heavily hyped and supported since her debut, so I don’t see how Ahmed could have stood a chance with only Jar Jar as his sole acting credit. I do feel for the man. Ahmed’s voiceover for Jar Jar was admittedly solid— technically: At least he showed some signs of life, unlike the rest of the cast... Yes, Jar Jar was this… extremely jarring Tex Avery cartoon as a presence, but when he was allowed to show a bit of subtlety, his character was pretty solid (his revelation to Amidala of The Grand Gungan Army was a highlight for me). And I still prefer Jake and Ahmed over Hayden: He was absolutely unwatchable.

And I understand that fandom thinks the world of their SW heroes— especially the OT trinity (hell, even the extra that donned the Joe the Camel costume is apparently a "star" to some LOOL). But without the context of the visionary design and SFX, no one would notice any of these characters (and let’s not get started on just how blatantly abysmal Carrie and Harrison were in ROTJ). Being in a SW film is truly a blessing and a curse.

I can also understand the accusations of racist-stereotypes pointed at George for TPM: Anyone who doesn't see it are just in denial. I just don’t feel it came from a place of hatred— definitely an outdated sensibility on his part that, once again, with someone, anyone, who’s willing to say no to him, could have easily been avoided. Why would anyone think the pidgin-tinged English used by Jar Jar was remotely acceptable in 1999??? This is just George being utterly clueless to the times. Now with Disney, where the characters are so market-researched and decided by a committee to ensure consumer-approval and extreme PC, racial/racist stereotypes Finn and Rose is what they came up with…???

Reaction score
And I still prefer Jake and Ahmed over Hayden: He was absolutely unwatchable.

Well, Jake Lloyd gets a pass, because he was a 10 year old kid. But, yeh, Hayden Christensen was just bloody awful and coupled with the terrible lines scripted for him, it was a recipe for disaster. Every time he opens his mouth, I just want to yell STFU at him.

I can also understand the accusations of racist-stereotypes pointed at George for TPM: Anyone who doesn't see it are just in denial. I just don’t feel it came from a place of hatred— definitely an outdated sensibility on his part that, once again, with someone, anyone, who’s willing to say no to him, could have easily been avoided. Why would anyone think the pidgin-tinged English used by Jar Jar was remotely acceptable in 1999??? This is just George being utterly clueless to the times. Now with Disney, where the characters are so market-researched and decided by a committee to ensure consumer-approval and extreme PC, racial/racist stereotypes Finn and Rose is what they came up with…???
I see what you're saying, but I just didn't see any "race" in Jar Jar. I just saw a dumb character, with an awful voice and a "Ministry for Silly Walks" style gait. Now, I definitely saw a Japanese stereotype in the Trade Federation characters, because of the way they were talking. But, I can't say it bothered me. I just don't care about such things. And I don't think George Lucas is a racist, so therefore, if there's anything "racist" in his movies, it's not there by design and consequently, I care even less. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's funny, though, on the subject of Jar Jar's pidgin English, the last version of 'The Phantom Menace' I watched was a heavily edited fan cut, which overdubbed Jar Jar and the Gungans with an alien language (complete with subtitles) and it improved them immensely. The Neimoidians were overdubbed too and without the silly "English" voices, they were more interesting as well.

It still didn't help the other areas of the film that were bad though. I guess there's just no rescuing the prequels for me, no matter what fan edit I look at. There's just too many stunningly bad ideas going on in them for me to ignore.

Reaction score
Lucas explained afterwards that the character of Jar Jar was based on the Disney character "Goofy", so I guess that explains the gait. *
I didn't notice any race-stereotypes , until the gungans were caught playing the spoons in the marching band at the end of the movie...
...but that was just one shot, at the end of the movie. we didn't see this at all during the gungan's battle scene, which accounted for roughly 90% of their screen time.
I think any mention of "race stereotypes" was exaggerated by the echo-chamber of History. (meaning: at the time it was a non-issue -- Ahmed's reaction here is NOT normal -- he is making mountains out of molehills).

* https://www.vulture.com/2015/08/george-lucas-says-jar-jar-was-based-on-goofy.html

George Lucas said:
“I can’t even begin to tell you how much of an influence Disney has had on me,” Lucas told fans at Disney’s D23 expo in Anaheim on Friday.
“I will say one secret that nobody knows: Not many people realize that Goofy was the inspiration for Jar Jar Binks....
“I know that you will look at him differently now. It’s pretty obvious, actually, but, um, I love Goofy and I love Jar Jar.”

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^ Looking at that image of Jar Jar cosplaying Goofy— a character that I couldn’t stand even as a baby, I can’t bring myself to hate on it: Jar Jar and the Gungans are such a solid design that, like so many components of TPM, was brimming with supreme potential. I still vividly remember the strong impression it made on me to see that image of the Gungan Warriors slowly emerging on their steeds out of the mist. Still a thrilling image after all these years: It all looked like so appropriately like an antiquity of AGFFA… then they had to speak and ruined it all LOL… :sigh: (Boss Nass remains a bigger offence than Jar Jar in every way.)

I’ll search out the TPM-dub: This time of year always makes me nostalgic for TPM... But then there’s Jar Jar’s slapstick antics that remains so painfully unfunny, no matter what voice they associate with it… I wouldn’t mind if his OTT-bumbling actions were consistent: I mean, he’s written as this clumsy clown. But then he’s shown to possess the grace of an Olympic diver and the skilled balancing-act of an acrobat… Oy...

And despite all these shortcomings, Jar Jar’s just not an obnoxious character— unlike Hayden’s Anakin and the entire new cast of this Sequel’s, with the exception of Rey (because much like Ahmed, Daisy’s personality rises above the lazy mess of a character).

On a much brighter note, f
or anybody (likely just you, myself and 3 others LOL) whom adore TPM; this time of year 20 years ago was such a magical time…. TPM was my “SW experience”— and although it was a (huge) letdown ultimately, it remains a fav for many other reasons other than what was George’s final presentation. I’ll always appreciate the unabashed passion, the genuine and confident vision, the pure dream and the overall innocence of TPM. The accompanying BTS-doc "The Beginning: Making Episode l" is all kinds of wonderful— from the excitement from all involved, even to the eerie candidness of Rick’s unsure reaction at the first screening that TPM may just be a disappointment. Such wonderment and candidness would never be documented ever again, sadly to be carefully replaced by PR-rehearsed gushing and corporate-hype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da8s9m4zEpo&frags=pl%2Cwn

Last edited:
Reaction score
The whole thing is just sad. Jake, Hayden, Kelly Marie Tran, Ahmed, etc etc received so much backlash because of someone else's vision. They all jumped for this opportunity.

Reaction score
there are no small roles, just small actors.
Mark Hamill KNEW the fans would hate his work in TLJ -- he didn't take it personally -- he heaps the blame onto Rian where it belongs.

through ALL OF THIS he has conducted himself as a consummate professional. he did his job exactly as directed
he did NOT agree with Rian's Vision. he did NOT align himself personally with it. he did NOT take the 'backlash' on his chin.

he did everything he could to honor Rian's Vision -- in fact, he NAILED IT -- but he did NOT take "ownership" of it.
he just shrugged and said "that's not my department" and deferred all negative comments back to Rian.

Mark did his job as a TRUE professional. and he did NOT take the "backlash because of someone else's vision" (as you say).
his reaction to that same 'backlash' , was to brush it off his shoulder like Luke@Crait and say: "not my problem".

(he did NOT attempt suicide and then blame "the fans" for these actions, heaping "blame" onto the audience itself, in a desperate attempt to shirk that blame, which he mistakenly places on his OWN shoulders)
(Mark JUST blamed "Rian" and left it at that) *shrug* (Kelly Marie Tran, take note -- it's NOT your fault, it's Rian's).

point is: the fans LOVE Mark Hamill.
they do NOT blame him -- for the worst SW movie in the history of SW -- for the worst depiction of ANY character, ever shown on screen.
(and these are the SAME fans who stand accused of "blaming" Ahmed Best..? I dunno guys. anecdotal evidence (re:Mark) would suggest that is not the case -- "the fans" are revealed to be smarter than that).

Last edited:
Reaction score
there are no small roles, just small actors.
Mark Hamill KNEW the fans would hate his work in TLJ -- he didn't take it personally -- he heaps the blame onto Rian where it belongs.

through ALL OF THIS he has conducted himself as a consummate professional. he did his job exactly as directed
he did NOT agree with Rian's Vision. he did NOT align himself personally with it. he did NOT take the 'backlash' on his chin.

he did everything he could to honor Rian's Vision -- in fact, he NAILED IT -- but he did NOT take "ownership" of it.
he just shrugged and said "that's not my department" and deferred all negative comments back to Rian.

Mark did his job as a TRUE professional. and he did NOT take the "backlash because of someone else's vision" (as you say).
his reaction to that same 'backlash' , was to brush it off his shoulder like Luke@Crait and say: "not my problem".

(he did NOT attempt suicide and then blame "the fans" for these actions, heaping "blame" onto the audience itself, in a desperate attempt to shirk that blame, which he mistakenly places on his OWN shoulders)
(Mark JUST blamed "Rian" and left it at that) *shrug* (Kelly Marie Tran, take note -- it's NOT your fault, it's Rian's).

point is: the fans LOVE Mark Hamill.
they do NOT blame him -- for the worst SW movie in the history of SW -- for the worst depiction of ANY character, ever shown on screen.
(and these are the SAME fans who stand accused of "blaming" Ahmed Best..? I dunno guys. anecdotal evidence (re:Mark) would suggest that is not the case -- "the fans" are revealed to be smarter than that).

Mark Hamill never blamed Rian for anything. As far as I can tell they are pretty good friends.

There are fans who do deserve blame. Especially the ones who pop up on social media sites and recomend that the actor off themselves, because they couldnt handle a movie. Pathetic!

Reaction score
this thread is not about "TLJ haters".
it's about ahmed best's reaction to people hating jar jar.

---> compare to : Mark's reaction (re:people hating "NuLuke").
this is a video which shows Marks' Reaction.

Mark conducted himself as a true professional;
Ahmed took it on the chin and tried to kill himself.

conclusion: Ahmed should take a page from Mark's Book and declare : it's not my fault.
"if I succeed it's because of GL and if I fail it's because of GL". [insert: audience laughter].

my point here is: neither actor (Mark nor Ahmed) should accept "blame" for people hating their characters.
it's NOT their fault.

in the case of Luke, it's all down to Rain. ((Mark actually voiced his opinions on set -- and THEN he went against them)).
Mark did everything he could to honor Rian's Vision -- success (or failure) is all because of Rian.

in the case of Jar Jar, it's all down to GL.
Ahmed did everything he could to honor GL's Vision -- success (or failure) is all because of GL.

Is this really a video that “haters” are using to say Mark is on their side?
I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
this thread is not about "TLJ haters".
it's about ahmed best's reaction to people hating jar jar.

---> compare to : Mark's reaction (re:people hating "NuLuke").
this is a video which shows Marks' Reaction.

Mark conducted himself as a true professional;
Ahmed took it on the chin and tried to kill himself.

conclusion: Ahmed should take a page from Mark's Book and declare : it's not my fault.
"if I succeed it's because of GL and if I fail it's because of GL". [insert: audience laughter].

my point here is: neither actor (Mark nor Ahmed) should accept "blame" for people hating their characters.
it's NOT their fault.

in the case of Luke, it's all down to Rain. ((Mark actually voiced his opinions on set -- and THEN he went against them)).
Mark did everything he could to honor Rian's Vision -- success (or failure) is all because of Rian.

in the case of Jar Jar, it's all down to GL.
Ahmed did everything he could to honor GL's Vision -- success (or failure) is all because of GL.

I wouldn't know.
We’re talking about a guy who didnt say anything for twenty years, and when he tells his story about being suicidal, he's accused of playing the victim card.

Excuse me for finding your posts to be insensitive, but the dude tried to kill himself over the hate HE got for playing a fictional character.

If Ahmed was being harrassed by so called “fans,” its up to fans to say thats not ok.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yeah. I'm sorry if it might sound insensitive. I guess it probably does.
but if Ahmed was being harassed by so-called "fans," its up to Ahmed to say if sticks and stones can break his bones.

his reaction was NOT normal. and he SHOULD HAVE spoken up about this, a LONG time ago. he scores NO points, for keeping silent.
(anyone who has thoughts of suicide needs to talk to someone. NOW. not 20 years from now).

you seem to be forgetting that suicide is caused by mental illness.
this is something that we ALL need to be more understanding of.
AND more aware of.

Ahmed should have told someone he was feeling this way. and he SHOULD HAVE received help for this 20 years ago.
it's a travesty that he did not.

I feel for the guy, in that he never got help... nor even talked to anyone... for 20 years after the fact :( that's incredibly sad.
so yeah. I feel bad for him. (don't get me wrong). but I don't feel bad for disliking his performance.
the audience has every right to dislike an actor's performance. and throw "rotten tomatoes", as they see fit.

just as HE has every right, to NOT CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF HIM!! :p (like I taught my own children)
(like 99% of all millenials today LOL -- they are IMPERVIOUS to criticism, why? -- because they don't care WHAT you think! LOL) :p

end of day: every actor gets bad reviews. it's part of the job.
even actors who have been doing it for 40 years (like Mark). they take it in stride (like Mark). they conduct themselves as professionals (like Mark).
bad reviews are to be expected, especially at the start of your career. and this was Ahmed's first try at this. he had never acted before. so what did he expect?
his previous job was a dancer/percussionist in the stage production of "STOMP" -- he was a "theatrical musician" before this -- this was his first job as an actor.
--> bad reviews are NORMAL for actors at the start of their career --> but Ahmed's reaction, was NOT normal. dude needs help. I hope he gets it. cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Adults need to take responsibility for their choices/directions/initiates.

Blaming others for your own shortcomings/failures/misfortunes is allowing others to control your worth and your life. SW fandom is overrun with loons— on both sides. As many as there may be losers that attack the actors/directors/producers personally, there are those that will take it personally when anyone criticizes these films. If Ahmed truly felt worthless and suicidal directly because of the attacks of some fans, then it’s mainly his problem and hopefully he had help in dealing with it. I’m not being “insensitive”, I’m being realistic by placing the context of what he went through in the film industry. It’s not a “normal” profession. It's a profession where your sole (and current) appearance and performance is being judged and determines your success and value. And those willingly participating in this warped reality needs to learn very early on not to take any bashings (casual “threats" included) remotely seriously. I hope Ahmed is in a better place— mentally and physically these days. And if Ahmed wants to blame someone, maybe George should have been the first person to point the finger at for writing and directing such a poorly-directed character.

(But ti's so trendy to blame the “toxic” fandom of angry nerds these days rather than owning up to your lazy, soulless, and hollow offerings, isn’t it, Hollywood…???)

Reaction score
Adults need to take responsibility for their choices/directions/initiates.

Blaming others for your own shortcomings/failures/misfortunes is allowing others to control your worth and your life. SW fandom is overrun with loons— on both sides. As many as there may be losers that attack the actors/directors/producers personally, there are those that will take it personally when anyone criticizes these films. If Ahmed truly felt worthless and suicidal directly because of the attacks of some fans, then it’s mainly his problem and hopefully he had help in dealing with it. I’m not being “insensitive”, I’m being realistic by placing the context of what he went through in the film industry. It’s not a “normal” profession. It's a profession where your sole (and current) appearance and performance is being judged and determines your success and value. And those willingly participating in this warped reality needs to learn very early on not to take any bashings (casual “threats" included) remotely seriously. I hope Ahmed is in a better place— mentally and physically these days. And if Ahmed wants to blame someone, maybe George should have been the first person to point the finger at for writing and directing such a poorly-directed character.

(But ti's so trendy to blame the “toxic” fandom of angry nerds these days rather than owning up to your lazy, soulless, and hollow offerings, isn’t it, Hollywood…???)

It goes the other way too. Just saying its the actors fault gives the crazies an out. Being rude and disrespectful should not be tolerated by anyone for any profession.

Reaction score
^^^ Absolutely.

In an ideal society, genuine kindness, understanding and generosity would be instinctive traits in people. But the reality is, people remain malicious, manipulative, contrived and deceptive— while hiding behind the facades of preaching for “tolerance” and “respect”. And this facade of a “kinder, more inclusive and diverse” Hollywood is nothing more than any titanic business sensing the idealism/superior-complex of soundbite SM-culture of the times and going along with it because that’s what will profit these corporations. And blaming the “toxic” fandom— and generalizing everyone who is critical of this Sequel/nuSW as racist/sexist/bigoted deflects any responsibilities of the Disney corporation from actually offering any quality products.— or engaging in a constructive discussion.

Those that take SW so personally— on both sides, aren’t mentally-healthy. I suppose I’ve never been passionate enough to “hate” anything of SW, when the “real world” is so full of destruction worthy of true hate. This Sequel is the epitome of reductive entertainment, but I’ve never felt anger, let alone “hate” towards creatively-bankrupt, business-as-usual people like Kathy/JJ/Rian. I, like many others, see through their gimmicks. And they'd prefer to call us names...

Reaction score
^^^ Absolutely.

In an ideal society, genuine kindness, understanding and generosity would be instinctive traits in people. But the reality is, people remain malicious, manipulative, contrived and deceptive— while hiding behind the facades of preaching for “tolerance” and “respect”. And this facade of a “kinder, more inclusive and diverse” Hollywood is nothing more than any titanic business sensing the idealism/superior-complex of soundbite SM-culture of the times and going along with it because that’s what will profit these corporations. And blaming the “toxic” fandom— and generalizing everyone who is critical of this Sequel/nuSW as racist/sexist/bigoted deflects any responsibilities of the Disney corporation from actually offering any quality products.— or engaging in a constructive discussion.

Those that take SW so personally— on both sides, aren’t mentally-healthy. I suppose I’ve never been passionate enough to “hate” anything of SW, when the “real world” is so full of destruction worthy of true hate. This Sequel is the epitome of reductive entertainment, but I’ve never felt anger, let alone “hate” towards creatively-bankrupt, business-as-usual people like Kathy/JJ/Rian. I, like many others, see through their gimmicks. And they'd prefer to call us names...

Kathy/JJ/Rian never called me any names. Nor have I heard of them ever being disrespectful towards “fans.” It seems to me that you are hearing and seeing what you want to.

Reaction score
^^^ Of course they’re not calling you names— you’re gleefully lapping up all their sh*t! They love you LOL

Reaction score
this thread got me thinking...

one of the things I like about SW is the fact that the storytelling relies on 'fresh faces' (from relatively unknown actors). afterall, part of the allure of SW is the fact that we are seeing "stuff" on screen that we've never seen before, not even in our imaginations -- Xwings, TIE fighters, walking Armored-Elephant-Things -- this spectacle is only reinforced by the fact that Our Heroes are also unknown to us. ((read: TFA would be a whole different animal with Selena Gomez and Justin Beiber as Rey/Ren -- just as ANH would have been a different animal with Sissy Spacek and John Travolta as Leia/Luke)). I think having "familiar faces" in the key roles would take us out of AGFFA and constantly jerk us back to the Real World (unless of course it's Alec Guiness or Liam Neeson because they are just good at their craft); but having "fresh faces" like Daisey Ridley actually helps the audience to maintain the fantasy. so basically: I think "fresh faces" are required in SW, to maintain the Fantasy element. simply put.

but the flip side of that coin is "inexperienced actors". actors who have NOT paid their dues in Hollywood, therefore, they are NOT equipped to deal with the pressures of being thrust into such an ENORMOUS spotlight. Ahmed Best had never acted before, in anything. he was cast for his "gait" and his body language, as evidenced in the Broadway production of "STOMP". he had never acted before in his life (let alone created his own cartoon voice for a character like jar jar in a movie as widely seen as SW). this led to (a) unrealistic expectations on his part (as he reveals in his heartfelt video), he actually thought this SW gig was going to launch him into a serious acting career like Harrison Ford -- he thought it would be the start of something BIG -- and he was CRUSHED when it didn't happen for him; and (b) he had no idea how to deal with "rejection". which is 99% of an actor's job during those first years while he is "paying his dues" (so to speak). to be blunt: Ahmed had No Clue. he was NOT prepared for the spotlight he was thrust into; (nor was Jake Lloyd; nor it would seem, was Kelly Marie Tran); and "Hollywood" cruelly ate him alive.

back in 1977, the "Big Three" had Carrie to guide them :p LOL she knew "Hollywood" like the back of her hand, she knew how to play the system, and she did NOT take it seriously. There's no doubt she helped Mark along the way. Meanwhile Harrison had been to Hollywood-and-back, he was completely jaded by the system, so there was NO WAY he was going to take it all personally :p LOL. looking back on history, it seems like these three were uniquely prepared for what was about to happen.

but now, the SW formula requires "fresh faces" in a time when NO young actor could be "prepared" for THIS particular spotlight. Boyega seems to be handling it the best. he just grins and says "...don't care, mate" and just shrugs off all criticism with flippant humor. it's kind of annoying in a way, because in interviews, he never seems to take his job seriously (the way Mark does). but at the same time, it's a perfect defense shield, so I can see why he does it.

--> Ahmed should take a page from Boyega's Book, as well as Marks LOL :p every time somebody says they don't like jar jar he could just smile and say "..don't care, mate" :p ((and/or blame the Director)) :p LOL cheers!

Last edited:
Reaction score
It’s really not about the actors. It's all about the story/direction, visuals and the characters. Just invest in the time to write a worthy tale with solid characters, surrounded by intelligent creativity that adds to the expensive GFFA.

This Sequel has wrangle some impressive names because money can buy any brand: Domhnall, Laura, Andy, Adam, Benicio, Lupita--- and Daisy genuinely radiates… But all such bland, forgettable “characters” that it makes no difference who’s portraying them. I can imagine anyone playing any of these caricatures. Money can’t buy talent and vision. And sure, this Sequel in practice rakes in a lot of money. But so does sh*t franchises like Transformers, Fast & Furious etc and utter sh*t corporations like McDonald’s, Walmart etc. So sure, this Sequel is in the same level as those entities: Sh*t that makes a lot of money...

Reaction score
It’s really not about the actors. It's all about the story/direction, visuals and the characters. Just invest in the time to write a worthy tale with solid characters, surrounded by intelligent creativity that adds to the expensive GFFA.

This Sequel has wrangle some impressive names because money can buy any brand: Domhnall, Laura, Andy, Adam, Benicio, Lupita--- and Daisy genuinely radiates… But all such bland, forgettable “characters” that it makes no difference who’s portraying them. I can imagine anyone playing any of these caricatures. Money can’t buy talent and vision. And sure, this Sequel in practice rakes in a lot of money. But so does sh*t franchises like Transformers, Fast & Furious etc and utter sh*t corporations like McDonald’s, Walmart etc. So sure, this Sequel is in the same level as those entities: Sh*t that makes a lot of money...
you've got some serious issues you need to work on

Reaction score
Just saw this video for the first time. Very sad. Several points:

-I've never understood the hatred SW fans gave Episode 1. I remember seeing this numerous times in Summer '99 & enjoying the film. It was the first SW movie in 16 years & as such was a huge event. Could it have been a better film?! Sure. Was it the worst film ever made? Hell no. Was it the worst SW film ever made? Hell no. Going along with the above, I did not mind Jar Jar. He was a comedic character & the clown/fool in the film. I also believe he was supposed to take the place of R2 & C3PO. I actually found his antics amusing, and his stupidity & ineptitude actually made me laugh throughout the film. Also, as was seen at the end, his clumsiness/stupidity was not representative of all the Gungan people - he was obviously an outcast. Now, if you hate the character - fine. But, at the end of the day it's just a movie! If you don't like the character or the film, DON'T WATCH IT!!!!!

Going along with the Jar Jar hatred/criticism & the AB interview, I remember reading articles from people who claimed that EP 01 was racist in it's depiction of Jar Jar due to the characteristics of the character & due to the "actor" behind Jar Jar being African American. However, I honestly did not see this in the film in any way, and it's obvious that Best himself wouldn't have chosen to portray the character if he felt it was a racially-offensive/negative portrayal. If you did think the depiction of Jar Jar was racist, you saw something that wasn't there - and you're a piece of @#%@ for saying this.

-After the SW novel Vector Prime came out (Fall 1999) and Chewie was killed off in the book, I remember reading/hearing that SW fans threatened the author of the novel (R.A. Salvatore) because they were angry Chewie had died. WTF?! This is a work of fiction. Idiots.

-I remember reading an old interview with Billy Dee Williams that said he was on a plane trip back in the '80's/early '90's, and a stewardess was genuinely angry with him for having betrayed Han Solo & turned him in to Darth Vader in ESB. WTF?! People like this need to get a life & a reality check.

So, to all those SW fans who have spewed hatred & bile over the years against Lflm. & Lucas himself, the actors/actresses in the films, the authors of the books, etc. - get a life & get into a different hobby. You hateful, clueless nimrods are the main reasons non-fans see SW aficionados as geeks/nerds/40-year old losers living in their parents' basements. A collective $#% you & a middle finger to all of you scum-bags. You don't deserve to be SW fans, and can all collectively go stick it where the sun don't shine. And I saw that with the utmost sincerity & seriousness.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My first reaction to the video is: never underestimate the power of video editing to generate an emotional reaction.

Secondly, I don't recall Ahmed Best mentioning any hatred from Star Wars fans. He specifically mentions a "media backlash" NOT a "fan backlash". This is a condemnation of the media, not the fans.

Reaction score
My first reaction to the video is: never underestimate the power of video editing to generate an emotional reaction.

Secondly, I don't recall Ahmed Best mentioning any hatred from Star Wars fans. He specifically mentions a "media backlash" NOT a "fan backlash". This is a condemnation of the media, not the fans.
.... are you honestly saying fans didn't hate Jar Jar binks.....

Reaction score
.... are you honestly saying fans didn't hate Jar Jar binks.....
I'm honestly saying that the video is manipulative and that if you think Ahmed Best is blaming "toxic fans" for almost driving him to suicide, then you need to watch it again and pay closer attention to what is actually being said.

Reaction score
I’d guess that for every jerk that says “Hey, your movie sucks and your character ruined it” there are at least two more that say “Yo man! I love your movie! It changed my life! You’re awesome!”

Once you put anything out there, you’re risking both praise and blame. As a quasi-religious phenomenon, Star Wars might be a bit different, eliciting a more intense reaction. But essentially every public statement of any kind is subject to the shifting sands of social perception.

Sometimes you can guess what people will criticize (for example, a 2019 documentary looking at the courageous masculinity of 19-century British colonizers), but for the most part, no one knows what will become a cultural classic and what will be denied as trash. The really funny thing is that those labels can themselves change as time progresses.

Reaction score
A new admiration I've developed for George is just how cool he dealt with the fandom-- for better and for worse (and can be the oddest bunch at the extreme point— right next to the Michael Jackson creepy loons LOOL); he never once appeared spiteful, petty-- or ever spoke mockingly/disrespectfully to his fandom. Nor retaliated in such juvenile, immature manners the way that a lessor like Rian has when his Prequel was relentlessly bashed.

George was always the consummate and professional gentleman.

Reaction score
A new admiration I've developed for George is just how cool he dealt with the fandom-- for better and for worse (and can be the oddest bunch at the extreme point— right next to the Michael Jackson creepy loons LOOL); he never once appeared spiteful, petty-- or ever spoke mockingly/disrespectfully to his fandom. Nor retaliated in such juvenile, immature manners the way that a lessor like Rian has when his Prequel was relentlessly bashed.

George was always the consummate and professional gentleman.
I wouldn't say never once appeared spiteful or bitter, but I will say that predominately I agree. He never was so petty as to go at it with the fans, personally criticize them for criticizing his film...unlike Rian Johnson and others over at Disney SW division now. When the people making these films can't handle the critique, well...it begs a few questions: Why are you making them? But more so, when they can't handle opinions, don't start career self-destructing and calling your very own target audience man-babies, sexists, racists, etc. Lucas never once did that. For all the hate the prequels got, he took it like a man and not like an entitled and whiny brat that didn't get their cake and eat it too.

Last edited: