Transformers - "Masterpiece Edition" Thread

Reaction score
I've never seen it at all.

Query: which of these Optimus Prime figures would be better, MP-010 Convoy, or Vector Sigma? They both seem to have the same contents, other than Vector Sigma. But I was wondering why the price difference?
I missed the earlier versions of MP Prime, and have been wanting to get one ever since. Would one of these two suffice, or should I try to track down on of the earlier ones?
The first one is older. The Vector Sigma is the Asian re-issue. They are pretty much the same just one came out earlier.

Oh and MB Bumblebee is coming to TRU...
Masterpiece Bumblebee Toys R Us Computer Listing - Transformer World 2005 - TFW2005.COM

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I usually buy my overseas Masterpieces from a Hong Kong ebayer so that I can use paypal credit, and right now the average price is $85 shipped. I might have to look around more for some paypal-accepting estores...

Reaction score
My Masterpiece Ironhide and Hot Rodimus have arrived!

I'm always super excited for a new mold Masterpiece release and these two are fantastic.

Ironhide left my jaw on the floor! Stunning figure! The vehicle is small and compact just as it should be but he unfolds into a huge bot and the transformation is a pure joy. Lots of very cool twists and folds in this one and he is loaded with accessories. Best of all he feels solid and secure I don't fear any breakage on this figure. Only one minor complaint is the hip panels do look awkward and limit posablity but a small issue that is easily over looked.

Hot Rodimus is a massive improvement of MP-09 who I always liked but hated the transformation. Hot Rod doesn't have this issue, the transformation is very fun and I really enjoyed how the backpack all compacted and folded up. Robot mode is freaken awesome and the most poseable MP of all time, sure the chest is a flat but otherwise he is a winner. Vehicle mode looks great but does have clearance issues if everything is not lined up just right, even when it is there still seems to be almost no clearance. Not such a winner on the accessories but the guns are nice, just wish he could have had his Targetmaster included. Plastic on this one also feels very thin in areas around the chest so be careful when transforming. Once he is transformed though he is solid.

Can't wait for Shockwave and Ramjet later this month!

Reaction score
I've noticed that since Tracks all of them are being made in Vietnam. I'm sure part of that is too combat KO's. So I do not expect any KO's of these.

Reaction score
Accidentally bought Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus and Iron Hide. I love them all. Hot Rod's articulation is crazy whilst Magnus is a beast! Iron Hide is fantastic in hand. I do dislike the hip panels and the massive torso gap but I've hidden that by not tabbing the wheels in and tilting the whole hip assembly upwards a little. The wheels fill in the gap and it looks much better : )

Reaction score
Decent haul dude! I like the idea of 'accidentally' buying MPs. Like "whoops, how did that Magnus end up in my basket!" :D

Reaction score
I got my MP Shockwave last week from BBTS. It's a pretty great toy though I wish the purple was slightly darker, like the original. They went more for his cartoon look.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I got my MP Shockwave last week from BBTS. It's a pretty great toy though I wish the purple was slightly darker, like the original. They went more for his cartoon look.
I'm holding off for a while, despite how badly I want Shockwave, to see if he comes down in price and/or they release an alternate darker paint scheme. If TRU were to pick him up, he'd probably sell for $80!

Reaction score
Ratchet arrived today and this is a love / hate figure for me.

Great looking figure but not the best thought out. The full coverage white paint is prone to chipping and after just a few transformations I have a bit of chipping and rubbing all over the figure. Would have been better molded in white rather than painted. Areas like the roof, side window panels and legs have to much rubbing and clearance issues that cause the chipping. Ironhide had these parts molded in red so he wears a lot better.

GNT

Reaction score
Deffinitly catches the cartoon look of the character, I look forward to seeing a colour image.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
So now I'm behind with Ironhide, Shockwave, and Ratchet! I'm just feeling "sticker shock"; the last one I got was the Starscream reissue from TRU for $60, and that's a huge one. I'm reluctant to spend $85 or so on either of the small Autobots, or $130+ on Shockwave. Anyone know of a combo deal for Ironhide/Ratchet under $150?

Reaction score
Ironhide isn't much shorter than the seekers, pretty much comes up to the neckline, and he comes with a ton of accessories. Factoring in the fact you have to pay more due to the import nature, it's a pretty solid value. Shockwave's the same height as the seekers & does have electronics to consider in the price as well.

Reaction score
I would also just wait as these imports usually always become TRU exclusives or the big e-tailers have sales on them as new versions are released (there's apparently another Ironhide on the way with a drill gun). Just last month TFSource had MP Tracks on sale for $45. I missed it but I am sure they will or another site will have him on sale at some point again.
Also I don't know if you are opposed to KO's but I've heard good things about their quality for the price.

Reaction score
I would also just wait as these imports usually always become TRU exclusives or the big e-tailers have sales on them as new versions are released (there's apparently another Ironhide on the way with a drill gun). Just last month TFSource had MP Tracks on sale for $45. I missed it but I am sure they will or another site will have him on sale at some point again.
Also I don't know if you are opposed to KO's but I've heard good things about their quality for the price.
Hasbro/TRU seem to take their sweet time releasing them though. I think their next one is Bumblebee.
Unfortunately Tracks isn't that popular hence the sales. IMHO he is the worst of the MPs.
Also I do not think we'll be getting any of those good KO's anymore. From Tracks on all of them are being made in Vietnam. Therefore the Chinese KO'ers will have a harder time making copies.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
After 2 failed eBay purchases from China that thankfully were refunded despite weird behavior from previously good feedback sellers, I just bought an MP Ratchet for $85 shipped. It was higher than I hoped to spend, so due to the "sticker shock" I went ahead and also got a KO Blue version of Streak for $27 shipped :sneaky:. I love the deep blue and silver of that version, and it just evokes the vintage package art for me despite already having the comic/cartoon-colored proper one. Also, in order to get 6 months no payments/interest on paypal credit, I needed to spend over $100 (easier for me to pay in chunks than all at once). I'm going to gamble that MP Ironhide will get a KO version (I wouldn't mind a KO red Bumble either), and I'm REALLY gambling on TRU getting Shockwave. I'd be shocked if they don't pick up that one. Seems like a no-brainer :p

Reaction score
saw the MP BumbleBee at TRU over the weekend, but couldn't justify the $65.00 price for such a small bot. The seekers were much better priced than this.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I don't want to exactly promote KO versions, but they average about $30 shipped for Bumble right now. I have the official Takara version from when it first released, but I'd have gotten the KO if I waited.

Reaction score
Takara opened that can of worms when they put the seekers as exclusives on TakTom Mall.
I will be getting the KO of Skywarp shortly. Not only that but the KO company improved on the mold! They have plans on doing them all too.
$95 shipped is far better than the $170+ for the real version

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I will be getting the KO of Skywarp shortly. Not only that but the KO company improved on the mold! They have plans on doing them all too.
$95 shipped is far better than the $170+ for the real version
Yes! Me too- it's the BBQ-01 by BB7; I stumbled across it on eBay when searching for KO versions of Skywarp since it's the only one I need. Looks great!

GNT

Reaction score
I don't want to exactly promote KO versions, but they average about $30 shipped for Bumble right now. I have the official Takara version from when it first released, but I'd have gotten the KO if I waited.
I'm tempted to get a KO Bumblebee but haven't just yet, when you collect lots of items. Any money saved is good.

Reaction score
I got my KO MP Skywarp today! It even came with Decepticon decals!
pics later

anyone interested in a Walmart MP Skywarp?